Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThisGuy
Aug 16, 2014

This Fuckin' Guy
Thinking about moving to la to establish residency so I can attend one of the state's cool schools. How terrible is it there? What's the niftiest school? What's the crime like? Where are the bad areas to avoid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MOOBS!
Dec 10, 2013

jesus loving christ stay out of this shithole

im literally the mayor of california and i hate this loving place

stay the gently caress out

MOOBS!
Dec 10, 2013

wait what part of CA? unless you say SD my post stands

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

Personally, I think it's problematic that a sitting Senator has a racial slur for a last name.

move to irvine instead

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
Do you enjoy sitting in traffic for hours and loads of fake people?

ThisGuy
Aug 16, 2014

This Fuckin' Guy
I don't. I'm looking to go super cheap though. I'm looking at Compton. I heard it might be a little gentrified however. Are there youth outreach programs in the area?

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
you should have said Los Angeles. California's bigger than a small country and I clicked the thread assuming this was about the good part.

MOOBS!
Dec 10, 2013

ThisGuy posted:

I don't. I'm looking to go super cheap though. I'm looking at Compton. I heard it might be a little gentrified however. Are there youth outreach programs in the area?

you tried to hard everyone knows Compton

they just opened a Roscoes in inglewood check there

ThisGuy
Aug 16, 2014

This Fuckin' Guy
This is why I ask

MOOBS!
Dec 10, 2013

ThisGuy posted:

This is why I ask

i need a roommate but i would need you to answer a few questions

ThisGuy
Aug 16, 2014

This Fuckin' Guy

MOOBS! posted:

i need a roommate but i would need you to answer a few questions

Yeah man. Some sort of smoke signal work for you? I've committed professional suicide on this website, assuming I haven't already been doxed and/or you're mocking me and trying to get me to commit a federal crime or something.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Californa is actually a real place? No loving way

MOOBS!
Dec 10, 2013

ThisGuy posted:

Yeah man. Some sort of smoke signal work for you? I've committed professional suicide on this website, assuming I haven't already been doxed and/or you're mocking me and trying to get me to commit a federal crime or something.

listen i just wanted your measurements

is this what every night would be as your roommate? im having second thoughts

Ratjaculation posted:

Californa is actually a real place? No loving way

i exist ok? as long as i exist california exists

ThisGuy
Aug 16, 2014

This Fuckin' Guy
Honestly I don't really want to tie my bullshit here to me in real life. No offense or anything.

E: why didn't you just pm me anyway?

MOOBS!
Dec 10, 2013

ThisGuy posted:

Honestly I don't really want to tie my bullshit here to me in real life. No offense or anything.

E: why didn't you just pm me anyway?

i was hoping to start a spinoff thread where hosed/with you as my roommate and needed a background story. im pretty committed to gbs gold

ThisGuy
Aug 16, 2014

This Fuckin' Guy
I respect the game, m8

MOOBS!
Dec 10, 2013

wait you have an accent? gently caress that come on over and i will use you like a puppy to score stupid girls (you get some too)

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

ThisGuy posted:

Thinking about moving to la to establish residency so I can attend one of the state's cool schools. How terrible is it there? What's the niftiest school? What's the crime like? Where are the bad areas to avoid?

Los Angeles is great, but if you move here and then just complain about it we will ritually sacrifice you.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

ThisGuy posted:

I'm looking to go super cheap though.

lol this doesn't exist in or near the LA or SF metro areas

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Move to Sacramento. Cheap (~$500 a month for a studio, at least 3 years ago) and some "OK" to decent schools around there. Also lot of good restaurants, bars, arts and other things going on.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
los angeles people are only fake if you associate with the kind of west hollywood glamortrash that call movies The Industry

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Make sure you play this every day for your first year of living there OP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wq-S8CIU7VA

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
LA is loving rad. There's tons of poo poo to do, tons of interesting people to meet.

The issue with LA is the cost of housing at the moment; poo poo is ridiculous good luck trying to find an affordable place to live. The traffic blows, too, and there isn't good public transport.

Otherwise Southern California is great. Great weather, awesome and diverse food, beautiful people. Cost of living is a touch high but worth it imo especially if you live anywhere near the beach (and if you don't it gets pretty cheap).

Idk if I'd move to LA without a job offer though for real that rent is not cheap at all, try somewhere outside the city or further south down in San Diego County.

Bobert Bobertson
Apr 1, 2014
are you gonna off yourself now or when you get there op, this is important

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Manifest posted:

Los Angeles is great, but if you move here and then just complain about it we will ritually sacrifice you.

naem
May 29, 2011

California is entirely populated by all the attractive people from the rest of the country FYI

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
there really are a disproportionate amount of attractive people here compared to other states I've been to

old fat bird
Oct 27, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It seems like I'd have a good time if I went but I'd have to leave the house for that.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Monstrous Dooklord posted:

It seems like I'd have a good time if I went but I'd have to leave the house for that.

nonsense, the high frequency of attractive people means it's fairly easy to get an attractive + cheap hooker to come over

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

will californians be aroused by my aristocratic virginia accent??

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Fandyien posted:

if u hit up the bars downtown i can almost guarantee youll find at least one totally sozzled girl who will be all "ohmigawd i luvvv your accent!!! im so vineing this!"

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Nov 4, 2014

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fandyien posted:

yeah

The West Coast 'accent' is no accent at all really, we speak the words as they are written 99% of the time. For real! People from the West coast are preferred radio personalities for this reason.

As a result almost any accent is seen as attractive.

naem
May 29, 2011

Attractive peeps have been moving to LA to fail at acting, and then stay and get a real job, marry each other, and making babies for generations now.

Every six months a new wave of hot failures shows up to start the process, the gene pool is nuts at this point

ThisGuy
Aug 16, 2014

This Fuckin' Guy
Looking to learn how to surf and be a beach bum while I countdown until I can apply to a good school. Would the whale's vagina be better for that?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
if you come to LA you can hit up the getty villa after you surf

the getty villa owns

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

Compton isn't gentrified it's just Mexican neighborhood hot spot that's driving up property values because everyone wants to live there for some reason. Probably because of its central location relative to LA county.

Long Beach has a big rental market that's cheaper than vanilla neighborhoods like Torrance or Hawthorne unless you can't stand the commute or MUST live in the city of Los Angeles. It has more entertainment and less of a sprawl too. Some neighborhoods are gentrified by the gays.

Crime is exaggerated. Downtown is one of the safer areas of town now because of gentrification and increased public safety initiatives. Ten years ago I wouldn't alk across town in the day but I do so regularly at night now with no worry. The crime is only really bad in the neighborhoods around USC to like Slauson and Broadway.

Everything is a half an hour drive. Three miles across town from K town to Sunset Blvd? Half an hour. Commuting 25 miles from downtown to the port? Half an hour.
People are pretty but if you're not used to the average intelligence southern Californian's speech patterns it's going to drive you crazy how long it takes them to get a point across if there is a point to what they're saying.

"And then like, ch, everything happened. Kind of like that, you know?"

:effort:

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
I hear there's finally a cat cafe in oakland, so that's where you should move.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

nice. if i ever go to california ill lay the reckons and ya'lls on thick and get my dilz wet

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

people are prettier here op. how pretty are you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kleen_TheRacistDog
Feb 17, 2014

Can't bust the Krust fuckman
www.skullmund.com
are guys in california allowed to have hairy backs? i'm asking for a friend./

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

• Locked thread