Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xzoto1
Jan 18, 2010

How's life in a bigger prison, Dae-su?

Formerly known as I Walk with the Dead, we are treated with an ugly rear end poster for Refn's new film Neon Demon. It's rumored to have an all female cast with Carey Mulligan as the lead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
That poster is great dude. What the hell. I'm glad to see that Refn has taken the hint from the success of Drive and continued to make whatever he feels like.

xzoto1
Jan 18, 2010

How's life in a bigger prison, Dae-su?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

That poster is great dude. What the hell. I'm glad to see that Refn has taken the hint from the success of Drive and continued to make whatever he feels like.

I get a very early 90's VHS cover vibe from it and I hate it.

Anyways... The movie is being co-written and I'm glad that's the case. Refn isn't a strong writer and considering this is supposed to be a horror movie with an all female cast, I think having someone help write the script will be crucial.

xzoto1 fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Nov 4, 2014

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Man how could you hate VHS cover art? Takes all kinds, I guess.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Early buzz about I Walk With The Dead was that it was going to be on a French New Wave tip, and Refn riffing on that is basically a movie I was born to see.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The words "Neon" and "Refn" are involved. I'm in.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Yoshifan823 posted:

The words "Neon" and "Refn" are involved. I'm in.

Nicolas Winding Refn's Neon Icon

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Nicolas Winding Refn's Two Hours Of People Getting Stabbed Under Neon Lights And Also Some Eerie Necking

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Y'all are just making me more excited for the movie.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Nicolas Winding Refn's Pink Narcissus.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Nicolas Winding Refn is a world-class talent and one of my favorite working directors, and he's so good that I struggle to explain to others what his work means to me.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
:gizz:

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

God drat, I was just reading about this and was hoping someone in CD would be discussing it. Refn is one of my favorite directors so I'm ridiculously excited about this.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
We need to make an entire separate thread for just the rampant awful fan posters and fan covers that will soon ensue.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I'm sure the soundtrack will be great.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Nicolas Winding Refn is a world-class talent and one of my favorite working directors, and he's so good that I struggle to explain to others what his work means to me.

Just say "Duality" as loudly and forcefully as you can. Then mumble unintelligibly. I was a big hit and super cool when I did this.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Is Neon Demon a combined supercut of Drive and Only God Forgives?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Man, that poster is amazing and completely sells that movie.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

if this really is an all-female cast then thank god there's a co-writer involved

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

MinibarMatchman posted:

if this really is an all-female cast then thank god there's a co-writer involved

Why? The mother in Only God Forgives was the best character.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

MinibarMatchman posted:

Really? All of Refn's other stuff has been male-oriented, but only because it's very much about masculinity and male power. If he's working on something about women I don't see why it wouldn't work out fine.

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

I am stupid excited for this. Horror is my favorite genre and Nicholas Winding Refn is one of my favorite directors so...

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

The word "neon" has embedded Drive so thoroughly in our expectations that I just can't wait for him to subvert them by making it an all-girl version of Valhalla Rising.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
'The wicked die young' - Really? in my experience many of them make it to a ripe old age.

Despite the overly optimistic tagline, I really like how the poster makes what should be beautiful face quite ugly by making it so extremely large and far to close and using ugly airbrushed/overly photoshopped style that gets rid of imperfections but makes it seem barely human.

Then you have the landscape(s?) beneath only seen at a distance. The whole poster seems designed to distance itself from whoever's looking at it.

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Nov 28, 2014

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

TomViolence posted:

The word "neon" has embedded Drive so thoroughly in our expectations that I just can't wait for him to subvert them by making it an all-girl version of Valhalla Rising.

All-girl Valhalla Rising drenched in neon sounds extremely loving awesome

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Ah finally a movie about Gamblor

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Man, that title. It's like self-parody. The poster for Only God Forgives was a literal neon demon. Well, dragon, but tomato tomato. Still, I am in the minority that majorly dug Only God Forgives, in part because how much it felt like self-parody at times, so whatevs yall i'm down for this.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

So Refn's plan is to continuously make the same movies over and over with minor thematic changes and with little to no development of his own cribbed style beyond make it more empty and insipid.

Only God Forgives was awful, Valhalla Rising was okay, and Drive was okay but only if you hadn't seen Thief or Manhunter recently.

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive
We'll always have Pusher II and 3

I want to believe

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

JebanyPedal posted:

So Refn's plan is to continuously make the same movies over and over with minor thematic changes and with little to no development of his own cribbed style beyond make it more empty and insipid.

Only God Forgives was awful, Valhalla Rising was okay, and Drive was okay but only if you hadn't seen Thief or Manhunter recently.

Refn is one of the more unique filmmakers working today and OGF was fantastic.

Your taste sucks.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

Refn is one of the more unique filmmakers working today and OGF was fantastic.

Your taste sucks.

Fantastic is a pretty strong descriptor for Only God Forgives. I know movies are completely subjective but I'm having a hard time understanding that. Valhalla Rising was pretty pointless in my opinion. Drive was pretty great but I've never really wanted to go back and watch it. Hopefully this is good so he's at least batting .500.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Ariza posted:

Fantastic is a pretty strong descriptor for Only God Forgives. I know movies are completely subjective but I'm having a hard time understanding that.

Nah it's spot on.

Only God Forgives has style.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Ariza posted:

Fantastic is a pretty strong descriptor for Only God Forgives. I know movies are completely subjective but I'm having a hard time understanding that.
Yes, everything is subjective. You have an inexplicable fondness for South Park. I find that utterly bewildering but I won't judge you too harshly for it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I only want Refn to make whatever he feels like making, possible exception being his involvement in the Logan's Run remake.

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
Ryan Gosling would make an excellent Logan, I hope this happens.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's on the pile of remakes that were supposedly going to happen but totally won't: Alex Winters' The Gate 3D, David Gordon Green's Suspiria and Refn's Logan's Run.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

JebanyPedal posted:

Only God Forgives was awful

"Your taste is in your rear end."

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
Almost seems like a homage to

Almost

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Close enough for government work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I keep hoping a trailer dropped or something every time I see new posts in this thread, and I keep being disappointed.

• Locked thread