Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

ChickenWing posted:

Building wall takes skill. Punching wall less so.

Good point.

And as we all now, animals are masterful artisans and therefore really good at building walls. :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Animals help you drag around the materials so you can build faster, just like plowing a field is faster with oxen. :pseudo:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Kitfox88 posted:

Animals help you drag around the materials so you can build faster, just like plowing a field is faster with oxen. :pseudo:

And mages can't order their mindless creatures to do the same? Heh. Seems like wizards are lazy bastards. :v:

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Libluini posted:

And mages can't order their mindless creatures to do the same? Heh. Seems like wizards are lazy bastards. :v:

Clearly that would interfere with their big dinners.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Turn !?

Last turn, some desperate diplomacy happened. Now we see if we can survive, and what price survival will bring!

Xanrick von Xanxabar actually missed my cries for help on IRC, but he got them and responds in-game. Looks like Xanxabar is on our side, after all! He doesn't want to tread on those poor, abused snakes, which means my cat likes him, too! Xanrick: Friend of all animals.

A message from our enemy: Nukleamonkees was apparently really successful in making new enemies. Rotekian's nation of Rotekia is moving in concert with Xanxabar, it seems. As someone just one little step away from extinction, I'm excited at this new revelation. The more enemies my enemy has, the longer I can claw myself to the ground before I'm dragged down into the abyss!

Some snakes report from the city walls: Xanxabar already prepares to strike and has send a scout to take an invasive look at the army sieging my cap. Sacrificing an inexpensive unit this way can tell you literally everything you need to know. You can even look at the video of the battle, pause it and then right click on enemy commanders and units to see what items they're carrying around, what afflictions they have and stuff like that. Very useful if you have some extra scouts around!

Also uh that scout somehow kills ten enemy units by himself. Friendly fire, maybe?

Welp, time to plan my outbreak if a chance presents itself. Fun fact: I have so many ants my pretender can't lead all of them, so I have to start spreading them out over my other mages. That's the thing about magical creatures: Only mages can lead them. And magic leadership is different from normal leadership, so my pretender can't command as many ants as people. My mages have to pick up the slack, but tactics 101 wasn't taught at snake college, so they're really bad at leading armies. But giant fire ants are considered mindless by Illwinter, so they will have an unrouteable morale of 50 regardless how red and impressive those negative morale bonuses get.

Wait a moment, what happened to that army of Westeros? Did it move off in the same turn Xanrick send his scout? Only some goats are left, peacefully grazing beneath the city gates.

Time to strike, I guess. I order the snake ladies with ants under their command to go shoo the goats away from the gates so we can "recruit" again. Also because of my lack of priests, my lack of a prophet and my lack of an ability to recruit more priests, I solve all those problems in one smooth move.

My pretender and a giant mass of ants stay behind, just in case this turns out to be a trap.

Overall, it looks like Westeros and Xanxabar are playing cat and mouse around my cap. But I tell you a secret: Nuklearmonkee told me on IRC he didn't want to hold down my cap anymore and sailed his army away. This is a smart move on his part, since he already fights at least two other enemies and he can't hold my cap down against an ever growing army of monster ants and them combined. This way, I have to attack Xanrick to take my provinces back, since he and not Nuklearmonkee holds most of them at the moment.

I think we have to try diplomacy again.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Dec 12, 2014

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
The Retarii abandon after a single battle, and I guess "suicide Scout" counts as a battle, so all those guys saw a Scout spot the army and run and decided "Yeah, that counts as the one fight we signed on for."

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
This game is an emotional roller-coaster!

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Turn 23:

A rollercoaster of emotions proceed this image. Magic sites, yay! Attacked by Gentleman, aww!

That's a handy boost. The A income will be useful, but the real coup here is the Sorceror of the Sands

This is fantastic. These guys can break me into fire (marginally useful) and eventually can become Rain of Stones casters. Rain of Stones is loving amazing and any nation with access to it should abuse the poo poo out of it. I'm going to have to protect the hell out of this province. The only problem with Sorcerers of the Sands is that they're old and StR. Still super worth though.

Moving on to our battles:

And here I thought we were bros :smith: . Let's take a look at how he's playing things.

Hmm. No formations. He's also brought along

his Heroically Tough prophet. I don't know what's going on here, but by all appearances it seems like I'm going to have to beat the crap out of him now.

Meanwhile, on a not-so-distant throne...

What the CHRIST :pcgaming:

Oh. Yep that about explains it. Heavy cavalry have a certain very glaring problem: . They are not built for endurance, choosing instead to blow their load as soon as they make contact and then fall asleep right after.

:it is a sex joke:

Anyways, the point is that high encumbrance combined with equals a lot of dead skellingtons and a lot of tired horses. Alas, tired horses cannot fight back, and skeletons never get tired. RIP horses.

Moving on!

Free PD :toot:

:stare:

Normally this wouldn't be a big deal. However, this fancy new mine was plunked down square on Copper Woods. Forts double resources of the province they reside in. This means we just got a huge chunk more recruiting power, which roughly translates to 7 more sidhe a turn (gold allowing) or a fuckton more useless chaff. Woo!

Finally, one of our scouts gets popped by a loving ginormous AIpud army

:rip:

State of the North

Nothing too notable. We're bringing our sorceresses home now that the north is fully searched. We're up to 5A3D a turn in gem income, which is nice (although lower than it should be). One of our sorceresses builds a lab on Polson Plains in order to take advantage of those sorcerers. We'll probably plunk a fort down there too - it'll siphon resources from our cap, which is sad, but we REALLY want to protect those sorcerors. Also interesting is that apparently Belgium tore down his cap fort before dying. I'm sure kitfox was thrilled.

State of the South

I'm a little nervous about the situation down here. Kitfox and I are nominally friendly, but nothing is set in stone, so I'm not sure what that army is up to. Gentleman is being uppity, so I'm about to lose all my AIpud territory. I'm pulling my Qedesim back to put temples in the rest of my territory. My main army is staying put in Copper Woods to pick up some chaff before heading back out. After realizing that Harab Seraphs have a 1/3 chance to not be useful, as Neruz so helpfully posted earlier in the thread, I switch recruitment over to Enaries. My current Harabs all fly out to go sitesearching.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

DOUBLE POST COMBO BECAUSE I'VE BEEN LAZY AS gently caress

Seriously exams are kicking my rear end, hence post irregularity. Luckily, it's about this point in my updates that I started making more thorough notes so posts are easier. Anyways, without further ado

Turn 24: Wherein not much happens but we talk about our neighbours and gossip behind their backs

I've decided to add subtitles to my turns because just a turn number is boring plus i can foreshadow fun things that happen later on :sun:

Wow how loving interesting. At least we get a site.

I will never say no to more A income. N is good for later when we need our enaries to do stuff, but not particularly critical.

State of the Entire Fowlland

My Nemedian Sorceresses are still dragging their sorry butts home. After nine turns of inability to recruit, my capital is finally below 100 unrest again, meaning I can restart useful recruitment! I shed a single tear of joy.

In the south, I move out the newly replenished Modpud's Raiders to retake Ligrea and I send my Qedesim north to build some more temples. The Harab Seraphs I sent out last turn do some sitesearching.

I'm slowly getting myself re-situated in a useful position, but I have a number of concerns. First up is Rotekian's force up north.

That's a little too close to my territory for comfort, and my NAP with him expired 5 turns ago. We've got a quick response force waiting in Fowlland, but I've got other stuff that they may need to deal with. Specifically, they may be diverted to fend of Nuclearmonkee in the south.

Our NAP expires next turn, and I know he's got all sorts of fun stuff to play with after taking down Libliuni and AIpud. I don't know if he's got anyone else that is currently being belligerent towards him at the moment. At this point, it's probably worth chatting up his neighbours and creating a coalition to kill him. As it stands, he's the most skilled player in this game by a long shot. Unchallenged, he could do a whole lot of damage.

Finally,

Gentleman (in our west) staled last turn. Not sure what's up with him - I sent him a tell on IRC to ask what was up with his attack last turn, but he hasn't been around for a bit. Honestly, I think it might be in my best interests to just secure that border and move on - I have more pressing issues, and I know he's not in much of a position to give me a real fight after having been raided by Diablo for a large portion of the game.

State of the Map

I don't have much of a scout network out right now but you can still get the gist of what's going on. Still no contact with Flame112.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The birthpoint of the coalition which saved me. :v:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Around turn 20 is when I start to focus inward more. I've been expanding rather fast for me and need to start consolidating forces.

Namely my research is in the god damned gutter because of all the chaff I made anticipating having to kick in Diablo's cap, which is a very annoying process. Unfortunately, he decided to tear it down so now I have a bunch of troops doing nothing and need to spend the cash rebuilding it myself. :mad:

So I send them up north to kick in AIpud's poo poo instead. Assaulting AIs is usually pretty safe because they can't tactics for crap and they'll happily try to engage in suicidal battles that accomplish nothing but enough about where I get my strategies from.

Back at the :911: :patriot: CAPITAL OF AMERICA :patriot: :911: I start recruiting Mages of the Deep en-masse for research. Set that poo poo on repeat boy I got two caps and change worth of income light that poo poo up :retrogames:

You'll also notice a new flag has appeared! Hi xanrick, you're huge. It also seems like he's in a war with Gentleman :ohdear: Look out memeface! Gentleman had gone ai turns ago and I never noticed because I'm an idiot, so I've basically been letting free provinces directly to my south go for free. Welp.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Updates tomorrow! Exams suck! Also the game is on semi-hiatus over christmas so expect not a ton of development after tuesdayish

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

That implies the LP's ever had a ton of development to stop. :v:

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Turn 25: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I traded some fire gems to Flame112 for death. Unfortunately, I forgot to send my half this turn because I am a horrible human being. Luckily, Flame is a chill dude and doesn't declare foreverwar on me in response. Speaking of magic gems, we find some more sites!

Three more gems per turn, two of which we genuinely care about. Life is good.

Gentleman continues to push in our western front. For whatever reason, I had more than 1 pd in this province, so I manage to get a number of kills (although not enough to recoup the investment).

A death match is going to happen next month. I can guarantee I'm going to forget this. [Future me: note that I'm writing these notes *as* I take the turn, so this isn't just me saying "hue hue I'm going to skip the deathmatch", this is me genuinely completely forgetting every single time :cripes]

Ancients need to bury more treasure. 64 pounds of gold doesn't even cover my Tuatha's monthly booze stipend.

State of the South

My Harab Seraphim flit about and continue sitesearching. Gentleman has taken White peaks and is probably moving on to Ligrea. There is no way in hell he'll be able to do much damage to the troops that will meet him there. I move my scout to Grey Mountains (post-screenshot) to watch for reinforcements - I plan on taking back all the territory that was previously mine and having a serious chat with Gentleman about how much he wants to fight, given the situation. There's another point to consider, though - I have just been invited to an anti-nuclearmonkee coalition. Three other players have decided that it's coming about time to take down the best player in the game. That's the main reason I don't want to push all the way through gentleman's lands - I'm going to need my forces concentrated on monkee soon. I've got three turns until I reach enchantment 5 research and my midgame comes 100% online, and I have lots of plans for when that happens.

Also my priest builds a temple in Dommen.

State of the North

Nothing much happening. I move my final sorceress back to my cap, and fly a Harab to Black Marshes for sitesearching. I have him set to retreat turn 1, just in case Rotekian gets belligerent. I don't think he will, though - he's part of the anti-monkee coalition, so those troops might be positioned to advance on The Misty Forest. However, ambiguity sucks and diplo is fun.

quote:

(8:44:39 AM) ChickenWing: .tell Rotekian hello nationdraft friend, are those troops in Bitra for me? Much as I'd love some visitors, my Tuatha are still recovering from partying it up with Belgium, and their hangovers have left them in a bit of a mood.

Sorted. Diplomacy, ladies and gentlemen.

Plans for the future: finish sitesearching, smack Gentleman on the wrist, take my throne, kill the batjaguar man

ChickenWing fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Dec 20, 2014

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

That diplomacy at the end is hella table breaking, making this page now take three entire screen widths for me. Maybe make it a [quote] instead of [code]?

e: many thanks

biosterous fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Dec 29, 2014

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Back from christmas holidays, should be back on a daily schedule starting tomorrow!

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Turn 26: HOLY poo poo I REMEMBERED THE ARENA

Um. Okay. This ought to be fun.

Battle 1

AIpud. Yawn.

Battle 2

We appear to have a Gentleman caller (:haw:).

That looks like it's not going to be fun for them.

Yeah that'll leave a mark. I've found that mass javelins tend to be pretty drat awesome in troop battles.

This happens to be the most interesting thing that happens all fight. Most rounds look something like this:

The Leves rout because they are chaff and/or pussies. Tuatha, Sidhe and Shield Maidens both have huge defense and lowish attack. This means that we have a ton of rounds consisting of 0 damage. We have glamour though, which makes us twice as hard to attack. Shield maidens eventually wimp out, and we take the field.

Battle 3

Glorious. It would appear that I've just eliminated one of Nuclearmonkee's mercenary companies for poo poo all in losses. I find this hilarious, but it's probably not going to endear me to him at all.

These are hoburgs. They are tiny (size 1). This means they have super low HP, short weapons and low damage. It also means that they are *ridiculously* hard to hit. NINETEEN defense, no bless. Plus, there's 6 of them to a square, which means they can easily overwhelm the defenses of our 3-per normal size troops.

javs.jpg

distressingly ineffective

I sit through another boring fight of hella defensive guys vs hella defensive guys. Hoburgs manage to pierce the defenses of our glamoured troops more than the shield maidens did. However, every time we manage to tag a hoburg, it pretty much just turns into a red mist. Attrition hurts them far more than us, and soon enough they rout, at which point...

:eng101: Fun fact: troops lose a hell of a lot of defense when they run away :eng101:

RIP hoburgs, and thus enduth thunderdome number one. Now on to thunderdome two: :siren:THE ARENAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA :siren:

(gently caress yeah I totally remembered this time :toot:)

Cliche theme music to set the mood: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAwWPadFsOA

FIGHT 1

Generic Skelespammer

vs

An aquatic goon. This guy is actually a really great caster, and the winner (by default) of the previous deathmatch. He's got 5% regen, fear, awee, fire resist, cold resist and luck.

Round 1:

Summon earthpower, summon earthpower. Each caster gets +1E and reinvig (which Rambo already had).

Round 2:

Stoneskin, Horde of Skeletons. You remember all those fancy extra abilities that Rambo had? They are about to mean dick all.

Round 3:

Temper flesh, Horde of Skeletons. Rambo is going to be hard as gently caress to damage. You know, up until he fatigues out (already up to 45) and falls asleep.

Round 4:

Phoenix power, horde of skeletons. Rambo is up to 73 fatigue. He's probably going to die the turn that those skeletons hit.

Round 5:

YEP. Rambo currently has 26 prot. This does not matter, because right now his fatigue gives a massive chance to recieve a critical hit. He casts incinerate, killing precisely one skeleton and popping himself over 100 fatigue and knocking himself unconscious. Random Bouda dude summons more skeletons.

Round 6:

AN UNEXPECTED COMEBACK! Rambo wakes up and casts one of the normally-poo poo-situationally-amazing melee spells, nuking a handful of skeletons. He promptly falls back asleep.

Round 7:
Rambo continues to sleep. He's down to about half HP.

Round 8: Down to 12 HP. He wakes up and smacks somebody in the face with his staff. Skeletons don't really care and put him out of his misery. :rip:

FIGHT 2

The previous winner

vs.

A generally unremarkable chariot. This SHOULD be in my favour, as I can just run over skeletons en route to running over the Bouda. Medieval vehicular manslaughter.

Except....this is after three rounds. I forgot to change his script, so he's still on generic commander hold hold hold hold hold chill away from the fight. :cripes:

He actually makes it halfway across the battlefield before he dies, splattering about 10 skeletons in the process. Alas, my scripting idiocy prevents a win/the loss of one of Flame112's decent mages. Ah well, at least I only lose a random commander. I almost feel bad for Rambo. Almost.

:golfclap:

State of the South

AIpud's raiders continue their punitive action towards Gentleman. I'll attempt to open diplomatic negotiations with him again at some point, but for now I have no impediment to retaking all my territory. Scouts do their scouty thing - it looks like Xanrick (another member of the anti-monkee coalition) is moving into position to attack Nuclearmonkee. I'm moving my scattered scouts in that general direction to get a fix on what's going on. We've definitely got the numbers to kill him, so I'll want in on that sooner rather than later. Harab Seraphim continue sitesearching, and my priest moves around to build more temples.

State of the north

I continue patrolling my cap and building forces for the assault on the throne. Rotekian has moved his forces north on The Misty Forest like I figured he would. It's definitely time to move on Monkee in any way I can, lest I get out-expanded by all of my neighbours.

ChickenWing fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jan 9, 2015

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I'm not the best player but... Rambo's player should have chosen what wanted to do with his unit, if fight or cast spells. If he wanted to cast spells, ok, buff your paths. If he wanted to fight, ok, buff himself. But both things it's a bit silly , as it puts you near 100 fatigue. And buffing his protection is a bit silly given he is already prot 25.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Turn 27: Wherein Priorities Begin To Change

A message, two sites, a battle and what is likely the last of the unrest on my cap. This is a Good Turn (tm).

Furries appear to be getting whatfore. That'll teach them to be yiffing all up in Libliuni-land. Talking on irc the other day, Nuclearmonkee said that he'll probably be able to do some serious damage to them. This seems like something I can exploit - wait for them to wear each other down, then take a bunch of their poo poo while they're not looking.

2D1W. Nothing to sniff at, for sure. We've sitesearched the extent of our non-gentleman holdings, and we have a fair bit of income now.

Sick. That is a dead prophet. Gentleman should have moved him out though. I check IRC and sure enough, it looks like he staled last turn. How vexing. Welp, free territory, and I'm not worried about invasion from any front now so I can snap him all up as I please.

:frogsiren: loving FINALLY :ducksiren:

I'm now drawing my full income from my capital, opening up my recruitment options significantly and meaning I can take guys away from poo poo patrol duty.

State of the West

That is...a whole lot of dudes. I simply cannot take that without mage support. They're threatening Grey Mountains, and I don't want to risk Gentleman not staling next turn, so I decided to regroup. Once I have some more troops and some thunderstrike, I'll be all over it. One of my Harabs moves to sitesearch Ligrea.

State of the East

Xanrick has made some decent progress on monkee's holdings. He really is huge right now, I should probably do something about that. Much as I'm scared of monkee, I think that these guys will be able to grind each other down significantly. My priest builds a temple.

State of the North

This is monkee's cap. He may be in trouble. It looks like Rotekian and I are roughly the same size, I'm just more spread out.

Given the current shift in fortunes and change of scenery, it looks like it's time for some new plans. For now, I'm looking to: chat with monkee, secure a NAP in exchange for me assisting him. Wait for xanrick to make some progress on his front, then sweep in behind. I'll do this all after I take the throne south of my cap. A reminder:

I switch out my sidhe recruitment for leves this turn so that I have some lance catchers. I'll defininitely be able to take the throne next turn.

Additionally, I'll have enchantment 5 next turn. I pick up Thaum 1 so that I can put together some communions and put some points into construction so I can start forging things. I'm going to hit construction 4, then Evocation 6 for Perpetual Storm, then Enchantment 6 for relief. After that, we'll take a look at what we need.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
That's a lot of lances to catch

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
OK, time for another turn it seems.

Libuico Turn 26 I think?

Finally, sweet freedom! The forces of snakyness have beaten the goats! Which turned out to be Merman Captains this turn! I have no idea why Nuklearmonkee moved goats out and equally useless units in (or if my scouts last turn have been drunk), but oh well our capital is free again.

Looks like Westeros is in trouble, which is fine. The more trouble my nemesis gets, the better. In the meantime, we can get our provinces back thanks to some desperate last-minute diplomacy granting me some land by my new overlord, Xanrick.

The little bit research power I have gets dropped into Evocation to give my mages more spells to use.

I'm thinking especially about this soon-to-be-available level 4 spell. Too bad about my ants, but most of my units and mages have so absurdly high resistance to fire I could probably just spam that poo poo to make the battlefield a death zone and let my guys and gals just walk right through it.

This of course also means all my research has to be pumped into Conjuration to get better units, since I lacked the foresight to give my highly volatile, fire-resistant snake lady mages some not-flammable units to command during drafting. :v:

Since my income is still poo poo and I need every turn I can to recruit more mages instead of priests, I'm forced again into taking desperate measures. So snake lady demon girl, you're now the prophet! Have fun.

Since I'm so incredibly weak right now, I take some time out to look at my dominion. I still have my god and a prophet, which helps holding my ground. But we're down to 4 provinces worshipping my pretender, which is very bad because it can become 0 provinces easily. At this point I'm feeling very glad I decided against going below 7 dominion strength back then when I was creating my goddess of fire.

I end my turn here because I need the research and I also need to turn my ants loose on some miscreants. So most of my mages research as fast as they can, while the rest go around inspecting my capital province with a lot of giant fire ants to eat criminals.

Next turn: Hoping Nuklearmonkee doesn't send some sailors back to annoy me with another siege.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Shame about the noble commander's scripting. Hope I can see him in actual action.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Turn 28: RIP Memeface

RESEARCH! yaaaaaaaaaay. That's Construction 2, Enchantment 5 and Thaumaturgy 1. Flame makes a prophet, and we get two events.

I literally just built a temple here, so I could care less. I'll make the priest preach there to up the dom faster. Magic scales aren't super helpful, but it could be worse.

:tootzzz:

Looks like that's it for this turn - BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE :pcgaming:

Ladies and Gentlegoons, Gentleman has given up the ghost. This is lame as hell because not only do AIs suck to deal with, but I'm not even in a great position to take his stuff. Plan "gut Xaxanxabar" is put on hold - Throne army will take the throne and head straight on down to Golem Range (Throne 2), while AIpud's raiders will take on some mage support and add a second wave.

Speaking of Throne Army,

That's a whole lotta tuatha. My submission screwed up last turn, and so I didn't end up grabbing those extra leves I wanted to. No biggie, the ones there should absorb a couple lances no sweat, and I'll toss the sidhe in behind them to take any followup. I'm also going to drag along a couple of sorceresses and my god for lightning artillery.

Big Fukken Elf casts storm, Nemedian Sorceresses cast thunder fend on my troops so that I don't inflict too much friendly fire with Thunderstrike.

Also, now that I've got construction 2, I set a couple of my mages to making owl quills.

I sorely need the RP boost right now - honestly, I should have gone there before enchantment. I also negotiate with Flame112 for some Dwarven hammers and get them at 15 A apiece - a bargain, really. These will cut my quill costs by just under half.

The moment of truth. Hitting that throne will be great - thrones are automatic many-sites provinces, so sitesearching there should provide me with a whole lot more gem income. Southern guys swing by Mountains of Evernight to pick up some deserters. Once they get to Copper Woods, they'll pick up Sidhe reinforcements and some Enaries for skelespam, then onwards to chez Gentleman.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
At this point, how many people have gone ai?

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Donkringel posted:

At this point, how many people have gone ai?

Just Modpud and Gentleman.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

I can't blame Gentlemen for it given that he was essentially dead in the water though. I just wish I'd noticed instead of letting prime real estate sit there for like 4-5 turns. :suicide:

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Turn 29: Holy poo poo Progress

Yay Construction 3

I'll never say no to more A income.

Keep it classy Monkee. Otherwise, prophet names are boring and I couldn't care less.

BATTLE 1:

SPEAKING OF MONKEE. He breaks out of his cap, killing precisely nothing in the process. I guess Rotekian chickened out, but a turn less of cap recruitment is a powerful thing. Nuclearmonkee loses 200g worth of Retarii for nothing, which I imagine vexes him somewhat.

Battle 2:

DRUMROLL MOTHERFUCKERS! Time to see whether or not we owned that throne?

gently caress YEAH WE DID EAT poo poo INDIES

Our mans, formed up in their Sunday best.

Bad guys. I could have sworn they had heavy cav. Not that I'm complaining. Other than the mages, this is a cakewalk.

Actually, I take that back, even the mages suck. This is the closest they come to inflicting any real damage on me all fight. Conversely, my mages make a pretty drat good showing of themselves:

EAT IT

EAT IT

loving EAT IT YOU FUCKS

Aw yeah that's the stuff.

Annnnnnnd that's all she wrote. Arrows take down a Leve, mind burn snipes another, light lances pop a Tuatha and Sidhe. I don't know why I was so afraid of this throne.

Events:

Hmm. this is either a one-time "whatever" or the start of a province-travelling giant middle finger to me. Fingers are crossed for the first one.

Air gems are good, although not really worth the poo poo scales. Stupid local lords burning important poo poo.

Now we move on to the important bit: did we get a good throne or a poo poo one?

That's a loving legit throne. No gem income, but extra gold is good and Silver Adepts are amazing.

Haahahhahahahaa ahahahaha holy gently caress. More tstrike spam, astral for communions, 1FAES (meaning possible RoS in my future) AND adept researcher. This province gets a lab and a fort, STAT.

Oh and we also get this :toot:

ORDERS

Non-mage recruitment is put on hold this turn. We sitesearch the throne, whilst one of the sorceresses builds a lab to get on oldguy recruitment ASAP. I ditch nemedian sorceress recruitment for this turn and grab an arch bishop for this throne. Arch bishops have the healer tag, which means that he'll be able to patch up my old guys no sweat when winter comes around. Also, he can claim the throne while everyone else moves on next turn. Further west, my Harab continues sitesearching and AIpud's raiders come home to pick up reinforcements. AIpud's cap is looking a little understrength at the moment, I might be able to snipe that soonish. I was called upon by Flame112 to hit Zeburia and forestall Monkee's sage recruitment (sages are hella researchers), so that's factoring into my plans a little. Diplomacy has me all over the place right now, plans are changing by the hour.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Thems some drat good mages. Wish I had some adept researchers. :smith:

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Yeah they're pretty drat fantastic. In a couple turns they essentially become my entire body of research

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Who thinned out those Cataphracts and some light infantry for you?

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

goatface posted:

Who thinned out those Cataphracts and some light infantry for you?

I have no goddamn idea. I was confused as hell. Nobody else had any sort of access and I never saw a battle there.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Diseased guys dying off or such?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Kitfox88 posted:

Diseased guys dying off or such?

It's always a little sad when you go to take a throne and notice that everybody there is diseased, because then you know there's some godawful site there that you'll have to deal with

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

I had an Inkpot End nail Lugh the Longhanded once in an MP game I was in the same turn he conquered the province. It was turn 3 and I had gotten him turn 2. :smithicide: I then kept him alive via battling/casting personal regen/retreating for another 15 turns while i tried to rush the one nature construction that'd let you heal diseases then 2 turns before I got that, bogus decided raiding the province he was in would be an awesome idea. gently caress you bogus.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Kitfox88 posted:

I had an Inkpot End nail Lugh the Longhanded once in an MP game I was in the same turn he conquered the province. It was turn 3 and I had gotten him turn 2. :smithicide: I then kept him alive via battling/casting personal regen/retreating for another 15 turns while i tried to rush the one nature construction that'd let you heal diseases then 2 turns before I got that, bogus decided raiding the province he was in would be an awesome idea. gently caress you bogus.

In nomodscrew I built a fort and was recruiting mages on a province that had Well of Pestilence in it. The sad part was that it had already been revealed, I'd just forgotten.

I spent a lot of gems on Twiceborn, I tell you h'wat.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Speleothing posted:

It's always a little sad when you go to take a throne and notice that everybody there is diseased, because then you know there's some godawful site there that you'll have to deal with

Actually it usually just means that there aren't enough supplies in the province to support the ~300 man army defending the throne so they starve to death.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Turn 30: :shepface:

Lotsa stuff going on this turn. First up, we recieve our hammers from Flame112. Now we can start making quills in earnest, and occasionally spend our E surplus on cheaper additional hammers.

Bullshit. The maximum level needed to find a site is 4. Big Fukken Elf has 4 in Earth, Air and Astral. That means there are literally none of those sites in the throne province. Total. Bullshit.

A single death gem.

Total. Bullshit.

Events

fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffuck. Remember that event that we got last turn that I was desperately hoping was an isolated incident? NOPE gently caress YOU CHICKENWING! :cripes:

:mad:

:shepicide:

This is just not a great month for the glorious nation of Fowlland.

Also we lose a bunch of our already awful scout coverage. :rip:

ORDERS

An Indy commander builds a fortress on Yrik Balkor. The throne-taking party moves on to Copper Woods to pick up some more chaff before hitting Golem Range. Our priest moves towards Oeperi to build more temples - we've got a lot of black candles up in Black Marshes. Next turn, my Arch Bishop will be ready to move to the throne to claim it. Thus, in two turns I will be ready to recruit some Adepts and start skyrocketing my research.

AIpud's raiders pick up their new Sidhe and move onward to Cracklands - I'm still on the fence about Nuclearmonkee, and I'm not sure if I want to meddle with him just yet. I think for now I'm going to take Golem Range and attempt to hit AIpud's cap. Once I've got that on lockdown and have a third army up and running, I'll see about attacking Monkee.

I spend some of my death gems casting Pale Riders to get some chaff - I have a large surplus of death gems right now that I can't really spend otherwise until I have a good deal more research. My Harab Seraph in the far west searches for sites - this will be his last look before he comes home.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Ho ho holy poo poo. Looks like my crappy notes about when and why I made screenshots are even more wrong then I thought. My last posts were apparently half a year in-game time off. :shepface:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

That's why I'm not posting, turns out I can't timekeep for poo poo and have no idea when my pictures are.

On the other hand, look at those flags in Chicken's updates. A solid foundation to the west, always flying full mast no matter the troubles befalling him. :patriot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Kitfox88 posted:

That's why I'm not posting, turns out I can't timekeep for poo poo and have no idea when my pictures are.

Post anyways!

• Locked thread