Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
I hate internet fame but so many people have asked for this so I'll give in to popular demand

I'm hackbunny and I'm a windows internals buff. I was a reactos developer in 2001-2010 but most of my knowledge comes from reverse engineering (which the reactos project actively discourages because it can be considered a violation of copyright)

ask me anything, especially the juicy scandalous bits, about :
  • windows nt kernel architecture (until about windows 2000/XP)
  • win32 architecture (same)
  • exception handling
  • security subsystems and libraries, etc.
  • com
  • the windows command prompt and batch language
  • a little about ole
  • a little about .net internals
  • a little about visual basic 5/6 (!) internals
  • how to implement unix APIs on top of windows
  • interix/sua
  • the windows sdks and visual c++ compiler toolchain
  • the pe executable format

disclaimers:

I apologize in advance because my posts will be pretty humor-free: english is not my native language and I'm terrible at humor in english. this makes me a bad YOSPOSter but I like the YOSPOS theme and typing in lowercase

my posts are typed almost entirely from memory so they'll contain lots of mistakes

I've been out of the windows development game for years, so my knowledge is stuck in the past. Windows 2000 is probably the version I know best, followed by XP and the old NTs. I know a little about the lower level parts of Vista, but anything after that will be just guesswork (although I can make good guesses)

I try to avoid technical terms specific to Windows unless they're especially unique/stupid. I find it easier to explain things in more general terms, but I can go in detail, just ask

hall of efforposts past:

wherein an overview of windows debugging tools is presented

wherein glimpses of the naked horror of win32k system calls are caught briefly

wherein system calls are recursively called from kernel mode

wherein a critical look is cast on asynchronous I/O

wherein impressive acrobatics are performed by the windows 9x kernel, and an encore

wherein win32 calling conventions are rationalized

wherein users of msvcrt.dll are strongly cautioned

wherein a secret POSIX compatibility feature is exposed

wherein the definitive case for or against the feasibility of fork in win32 is presented

wherein the architecture, and evolution thereof, of a commercial UNIX layer for windows is sketched

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
all detail all the time.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

return0
Apr 11, 2007
i dont have a question but i like your posts and will be looking at this thread!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

You're posts is cool so I will ask a question; what is the difference between a .com and a .exe

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

whats your native language. mine is python.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

mods please do NOT gas this thread

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

best thread

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

why is command prompt so, command prompty i guess

ie any insight as to why being able to select lines instead of regions debuts 13 years after windows stops being based on dos as an ~*~experiement~*~

thread gonna be awesome no matter what though

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

how many sections can a PE executable have and still run? what about threads? i've had this idea for a crackme... wtb more hours in a day

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

what's the legacy-for-compat system that is least likely to be replaced in the near future?

do you do come-to-a-company-and-entertain-them talks?

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

carry on then posted:

why is command prompt so, command prompty i guess

ie any insight as to why being able to select lines instead of regions debuts 13 years after windows stops being based on dos as an ~*~experiement~*~

thread gonna be awesome no matter what though

as someone who uses a unix terminal all the time and occasionally switches to powershell and goes "wtf why is this so goddamn broken", please answer this.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

quote:

I was a reactos developer in 2001-2010

how did it feel to waste a decade of your life? an accomplishment of shadowhawkian proportions

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

did reactos support copy paste in its command prompt

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
what are you doing now?

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

what are you doing now?

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Luigi Thirty posted:

did reactos support copy paste in its command prompt

lol

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
what the gently caress is this poo poo lmao

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

[A]sk me about OS/2 WARP

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Jonny 290 posted:

what the gently caress is this poo poo lmao

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

why aren't any of the good new modern UI bits MS uses in things like IE and office available to people to use in wpf or winforms. do ms keep rolling their own custom frameworks for every product still

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

hackbunny posted:

ask me anything, especially the juicy scandalous bits, about :
  • a little about visual basic 5/6 (!) internals

i don't know a dang thing about vb much less 5/6 but : gimme

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

yes, yes

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

why were certain portions of direct x working in win 9x but not in win NT 4? most notibly sound and direct input.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
thanks for posting an OP I gess

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

I like yospos effortposts and I like this thread

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

bookmarking this to read all those posts in the op instead of working tomorrow

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...
omg ground floor :swoon:

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

my stepdads beer posted:

why aren't any of the good new modern UI bits MS uses in things like IE and office available to people to use in wpf or winforms. do ms keep rolling their own custom frameworks for every product still

there's (finally) a WPF ribbon framework in .net 4.5. i tried it on windows 8 and iirc the way it blended into the window border/title bar was broken. it looks like it supports all of the office 2010/2013 features though

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

chmods please posted:

there's (finally) a WPF ribbon framework in .net 4.5. i tried it on windows 8 and iirc the way it blended into the window border/title bar was broken. it looks like it supports all of the office 2010/2013 features though

weren't there some pretty restrictive rules on using the ribbon, like you couldn't ever use the ribbon in an application which competed with any office app?

pram
Jun 10, 2001
teh ribban

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

how the hell does IDispatch work? does it artisinally handcraft each call into an implementation? all i know is that there's voodoo with the typelib and the C++ vtable and afaik a giant black box in the middle

...odds that the office team rolled their own implementation?

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

carry on then posted:

weren't there some pretty restrictive rules on using the ribbon, like you couldn't ever use the ribbon in an application which competed with any office app?

afaik yes but i think that's only a license you have to sign for commercial distribution, if it's still enforced

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

chmods please posted:

how the hell does IDispatch work? does it artisinally handcraft each call into an implementation? all i know is that there's voodoo with the typelib and the C++ vtable and afaik a giant black box in the middle

...odds that the office team rolled their own implementation?

I have no idea how DispInvoke works, but you can take a look at libffi's source for something similar but without all the COM.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

chmods please posted:

every time i've been motivated to develop on windows i keep getting frustrated my apps look nothing like the other 'native' ones the MS makes without an autistic level of customisation and i give up. eh.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

hackbunny posted:

I'm a windows internals buff.

why?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yo um

this is really weird

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
gtround fl00r of an epic thread

Adbot