Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

This December don't be this Batman

Instead be this Batman!

That's right Halloween has come and gone, which means it's time for BSS's Annual Secret Santa (BSSSS)!!
The chance to send random strangers on the internet cool gifts and get neat swag in return! What's not to like??

Well what is Secret Santa anyway?

If you've never done a Secret Santa before the idea is relatively simple. You sign up and will be randomly assigned a designated Santee. It's your job, using the information given, to send some sort of neat gift to your Santa! At the same time, some lucky Goon will be getting your information and will be sending you a gift as well!
WOW!

Since this is the Comic Book subforum, does that mean I have to send lame old comics?

Who do I look like? Santa Hitler? Of course not! You can send whatever you like as a gift to your Santee!
Be it booze, candy, clothing, utility belts, ancient cursed amulets, spellbooks, power rings, page upon page of printed out posts of Dark_Tzitzimine's posts, Onslaught, anything is kosher! Well as long as it's kosher! Make sure your Santee doesn't have any dietary restrictions or the like that would keep them from appreciating your gift!

Do I have to have 10,000 posts in BSS to be able to participate in BSSSS?

If you don't regularly post in BSS, you should at least be a heavy lurker. This is supposed to be a fun holiday celebration for this subforum and the people who inhabit it. It's definitely more fun to get gifts for folks that you interact with on a regular basis, especially since you may know regular poster's tastes better. I believe in the past there has been a 100 post minimum in regards to participation, but as of right now it's open to anyone who frequently reads in BSS!

Sounds Amazing! Sensational! Spectacular! Where do I sign up!?

This year instead of through email, you'll be signing up for BSSSS through a Google Form. This is just a quick survey where you input all of your information so you can be added to the database of Potential Santas. Don't worry. None of this information will be shared with anyone aside from your Santee!

You do not have to fill out all the questions, but the more you answer the more your Santa will learn about your personality and preferences!!

You can fill out the BSSSS form here!

Oh God, I signed up but now I have to drop out because of [personal, financial, religious, apocalyptic] reasons. How do I do that?

That's simple. Just make sure you send a PM to me before Tuesday. November 25th. I am going to try to send out emails with the Santa information either that Wednesday or on American Thanksgiving. Apologies for the quick turnaround, but this thread is getting a bit of a late start.

Any other questions can be asked here in this thread. A separate Secret Santa thread for unboxing and general Holiday chatting will be posted once all Santas have their information. If anyone has anything to add, feel free to do so. I made this relatively from scratch, so if anyone has any additional information that's relevant please go ahead and post it. Once again here is the link to sign up. I hope everyone has fun finding gifts!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
This is going to be the first year I'm participating in this, so is there any price limit or anything like that?
My Bookshelf!
http://imgur.com/a/pSkOC
Notable things that are not pictured but I do own. Denny O'Neil's Question run, the rest of 20th/21st Century Boys, all of Pluto, and maybe a few other things here and there. If you see a gap of a couple of books in a long running series, I'm probably just letting someone borrow them

Senor Candle fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Nov 28, 2014

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

The limit is your imagination. Don't go too crazy, but at the same time there's not really a ceiling. If you have archives you can find the old thread and see the average gifts given. I know a lot of people use this as a way of shuffling around a couple of awful trades (Onslaught Reborn).

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Dr. Hurt posted:

The limit is your imagination. Don't go too crazy, but at the same time there's not really a ceiling. If you have archives you can find the old thread and see the average gifts given. I know a lot of people use this as a way of shuffling around a couple of awful trades (Onslaught Reborn).

Thanks for setting this up. I have already submitted my claim.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Senor Candle posted:

This is going to be the first year I'm participating in this, so is there any price limit or anything like that?

Previous years have been a minimum $20 gift. That's roughly two or three trades at Amazon prices. There's never been an upper limit, though.

Dr. Hurt: Great idea with the Google Form!

EDIT: Comics shelf can be viewed here, Santa.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Nov 6, 2014

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Signed up:ohdear:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Once again signed up, and hoping this will be the year I don't Onslaught!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

Once again signed up, and hoping this will be the year I don't Onslaught!

I'd Onslaught you out of spite, but that would mean buying another copy and I don't want to make Marvel think people actually want it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

I'd Onslaught you out of spite, but that would mean buying another copy and I don't want to make Marvel think people actually want it.

If that's the case you would get Dracod

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I never got Onslaught? I feel like I missed out on some lovely initiation.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Madkal posted:

I never got Onslaught? I feel like I missed out on some lovely initiation.
There's at least two copies still bouncing around. Hopefully the owners will sign up and pass them along. I don't remember who I "gifted" mine to last year.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Endless Mike posted:

There's at least two copies still bouncing around. Hopefully the owners will sign up and pass them along. I don't remember who I "gifted" mine to last year.

I think you sent it to me...jerk.

I signed up again this year, jeez that poll is long.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

You don't have to answer all the questions! Only a few are required to actually submit the form, the rest are just to help the Santas narrow down what you like.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Submitted! This is very exciting.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Senor Candle posted:

Submitted! This is very exciting.

I know. I really liked the question about how many arms you have ripped off.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

So far the number has been very high. How many of y'all are secretly Dan Didio??

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Dr. Hurt posted:

So far the number has been very high. How many of y'all are secretly Dan Didio??

Can I change my answer to "I only rip arms off obscure Teen Titan characters?"

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Dr. Hurt posted:

I hope you plan to release the total once it's all done.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Madkal posted:

Can I change my answer to "I only rip arms off obscure Teen Titan characters?"

Also both of Risks.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
Did this last year, had a blast, got some great books. I am in for this year!

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."
Just signed up for my 6th (7th?) year. (Holy poo poo, it's been a while.)

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Here's hoping that I don't get Rhyno again. I'm not sure if I still have "Onslaught: Reborn", but I stll haven't unwrapped it yet.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Benny the Snake posted:

Here's hoping that I don't get Rhyno again. I'm not sure if I still have "Onslaught: Reborn", but I stll haven't unwrapped it yet.

If you get Rhyno there is this
http://www.prowrestlingtees.com/wrestler-t-shirts-1/christopherdaniels/i-m-a-john-byrne-guy.html

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Abandoning GBS SS for a Secret Santa with cool people.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Only a week left to sign up for BSS SECRET SANTA!!

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

Despite feeling like I haven't read nearly enough stuff (but maybe that helps...?) or posted enough (...meh, no big deal.), I'm taking the gamble. Count me in for my first BSSSS.

I sincerely hope I don't get The Gift of the Plague that is Onslaught Reborn.

Endless Mike posted:

You know it isn't actually BSSSS without afflicting some poor soul with Onslaught.

MeaningOfLife
Nov 30, 2001

:staredog: <(I can tell you that it is NOT '42'.)
Signed up. I had good time for the past few years especially getting introduced to stuff I missed out all my life (like Madman).

spooky girlfriend
Oct 21, 2014

Serious question, has anybody ever gotten a Dr. Manhattan from their Secret Santa?

Slightly NWS:

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

spooky girlfriend posted:

Serious question, has anybody ever gotten a Dr. Manhattan from their Secret Santa?

Slightly NWS:

Someone might this year.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Signed up!

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

TOMORROW IS THE LAST DAY THAT I ACCEPT SIGNUPS FOR SECRET SANTA.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Is it considered poor form to unload 14 slightly used Fables tpbs on a victim?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Zachack posted:

Is it considered poor form to unload 14 slightly used Fables tpbs on a victim?
If you're intending it as a gag, at least including something nice.

Please don't send me Fables books.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Endless Mike posted:

If you're intending it as a gag, at least including something nice.

Please don't send me Fables books.
I don't see why 30+ pounds of books is a gag, if anything the recipient would be the "winner" since weight = quality.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Can I sign up to give but not receive?

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

After finishing my holiday shopping, I've enough left over to participate this year after all :siren::dance::siren:

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
When are the santees getting sent out? I wanna do some Chistmas shopping soon.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Madkal posted:

When are the santees getting sent out? I wanna do some Chistmas shopping soon.
Ditto.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Santees will be sent out tomorrow. Sorry guys it was a busy Thanksgiving today. Apologies for the wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

I'm about halfway through sending out Santa information, if you have yet to get an email you should before the end of the day.

• Locked thread