Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
lol bin laden was murdered by a ginger

no 72 virgins in paradise for him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

comes along bort posted:

gently caress yeah gingers own (including me).

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

natetimm posted:

Having an able and ready military has proven to be a necessity for any nation wanting to remain a nation throughout recorded history. You aren't the first or the last person who will see them in a totally negative light, but history tells a different tale. No matter if you disagree with the specific current mission or not, until the world reaches the next step of human development, a strong military remains the best form of insurance for survival. This isn't even the first time this century a bunch of anti-military isolationists have tried to put forth the narrative that intervening in other places in the world is bad and been proven catastrophically wrong. It's a question with no good answers because all of the options are bad.

Interfere and risk bad outcomes? Don't interfere and risk bad outcomes? There's no guarantee that either of those philosophies will lead to anything good. You can only really try and aim for the less bad outcomes by acting proactively. I can't pretend to say that everywhere the US military has gone has been sunshine and rainbows afterwards but I also can't pretend like sticking our head in the sand and refusing to get involved has done us any favors either. Like I said, it's complicated and not a black/white issue of moral certainty.

it's not that intervening in a foreign place is bad, it's just that intervening in a foreign place with incompetent leadership is bad

also I'm an isolationist because I feel like without the US playing referee the rest of the world will revert to their savage nature and huge genocides will happen, and I lust for species death

Gunky Junket
Oct 30, 2014

by Ralp

Beef Turret posted:

Osama Bin Laden cheated the gallows and died five years before US security forces officially announced he was killed, says a former CIA agent, currently living in Turkey.

My first question was gonna be "How much money Russian TV pay him for that interview?"

But I went and asked Mr. Google myself.. now I'd just be asking if any of what he's saying the truth or was it merely an attention-seeking money grab by a Turkish politician?

"At the center of the hour-long documentary is a shadowy figure called Berkan Yashar, a Turkish-born Chechen whose true name is allegedly Abubakar.

According to the film, Yashar in the 1960s "signed a contract with the U.S. State Department" and briefly worked as an announcer at Radio Free Europe's Munich headquarters, broadcasting so-called "propaganda in the Chechen language." Neither of those claims could be independently confirmed."

Gunky Junket fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Nov 6, 2014

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

comes along bort posted:

He wouldn't have gotten virgins in heaven anyway, because god doesn't exist and heaven is a lie.

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
Osama had been dead for years, the government just made up the "killing bin laden" story to explain why one of our stealth helicopters crashed inside Pakistan. If it was revealed that we were actually just kidnapping Pakistanis to torture in CIA black sites it might have made Pakistan pretty angry at us.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

The military has an excellent track record treating its veterans, if you don't count the almost entire history of the US Military since Washington

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

iraq has a birthrate of like 9 kids per woman theres literally more of them than ever

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

TheIllestVillain posted:

iraq has a birthrate of like 9 kids per woman theres literally more of them than ever
where do you think god gets those 72 eternal virgins from?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

numberoneposter posted:

why do vets, i mean besides like combat vets like this guy, think they should get insane benefits?

yah great you pushed some loving buttons on a big rear end boat, awesome, go suck a dick, sir sgt dick sucker major sir

Bcause it's written on the contract

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

numberoneposter posted:

why do vets, i mean besides like combat vets like this guy, think they should get insane benefits?

yah great you pushed some loving buttons on a big rear end boat, awesome, go suck a dick, sir sgt dick sucker major sir

Because you give up the right to do what you want, live where you want, etc for X years. And that includes pushing buttons on said ship when a cloud of antiship missiles are flying towards it.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Modern Day Hercules posted:

Many people actually have jobs and homes and support a family without ever having to join the military at all. Imagine that. Imagine having a marketable skill that someone might want to hire you for. Imagine having a job that lasts until you're 65 with a pension that allows you to do whatever you want to do for the rest of your life instead of a job that lasts until you're 38 with a pension that might pay a mortgage bill if you live in a place where houses are cheap. Many people enjoy this kind of lifestyle, and that's because they are both smarter and worth more to society than a soldier.

Pen-shon?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

RonMexicosPitbull posted:

when a cloud of antiship missiles are flying towards it.
lmao

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
grr those afghan schoolchildren/wedding parties and their swarms of anti-shiop missiles :argh:

you irl
Jan 22, 2014
im glad this thread turned into earnest debates about the importance of special operations forces and conspiracy theories about osama bin laden!!

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

i want you to think hard...real hard......critically think like you libs keep going on about....about why this is a laughable foreign concept to you in 2014. and how loving epic it is that thats the case.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

i want you to think hard...real hard......critically think like you libs keep going on about....about why this is a laughable foreign concept to you in 2014. and how loving epic it is that thats the case.

great s if ur argument is that am,erican hegemony has neutered all threats to your security then why do you still need 15 million baby raping psychopaths crying about their sacrifice and what heroes they are lmao

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Sweet Tea posted:

once you kill osama bin laden it's all downhill from there

It's like a game where you beat the boss and no cut scene plays.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

you irl posted:

im glad this thread turned into earnest debates about the importance of special operations forces and conspiracy theories about osama bin laden!!

Seriously what is up with all the olg gbs posts today

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
I'm not sure why he's complaining. 100% sure they awarded him a commendation for killing Bin Laden, then gave him the address of the nearest shop where he could buy the medal that represents it.

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

Oberleutnant posted:

great s if ur argument is that am,erican hegemony has neutered all threats to your security then why do you still need 15 million baby raping psychopaths crying about their sacrifice and what heroes they are lmao

if we didn "baby rape" as you so effectively term it it wouldnt be so pretty within 5 years. Hell it already is looking hat great.

So we need to light up some more daycare centers asap

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
also, am I the only one that reads "bin Laden" and think, man, just get rid of some of the bins already.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

some guy i knew in college ended up dropping out of school and enlisting. he got blown up by an IED a few years later. funniest memory of him was we found his diary at a party and it was going on about how he sucked his first dick and kinda liked it.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Because you give up the right to do what you want, live where you want, etc for X years. And that includes pushing buttons on said ship when a cloud of antiship missiles are flying towards it.
sorry for being so antagonistic, pretty sure any sane human in NATO appreciates what is being done by our armed forces. it was an obtuse comment to make. im just going to delete it the comment.

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

numberoneposter posted:

sorry for being so antagonistic, pretty sure any sane human in NATO appreciates what is being done by our armed forces. it was an obtuse comment to make. im just going to delete it the comment.

god bless

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

numberoneposter posted:

Yeah everybody in the civilized world really appreciates the Americans that volunteer to murder civilians for no reason.

Thanks guys, please keep murdering until you get blown up by an IED. Just don't come back here is what I'm saying.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

please dont piggy back off my comment, i never said anything either way

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

numberoneposter posted:

pretty sure any sane human in NATO appreciates what is being done by our armed forces.

lol

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

do you expect us to yield our hegemony?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

how did manifest destiny work out for the other guys?

Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp

Practising for when he comes back as a wounded veteran.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

lol if u think anybody in america really has the freedom to do what they want or live where they want. We all just live where we live and do what we do. I have to show up for work if I want to eat. If a military man doesn't show up for work he still gets to eat (in jail).

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

numberoneposter posted:

do you expect us to yield our hegemony?

I expect the US government to do what it does. I don't expect sane and decent people to volunteer to be the tip of it's spear, because they wouldn't. Anyone that has looked at what we have done in the middle east in the last decade or so and freely chosen to be a part of it is scum.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
Freedom isn't Free :911:

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

City of Tampa posted:

I expect the US government to do what it does. I don't expect sane and decent people to volunteer to be the tip of it's spear, because they wouldn't. Anyone that has looked at what we have done in the middle east in the last decade or so and freely chosen to be a part of it is scum.
i think if you laid out all the facts the NATO countries who fight for our way of life would do so just the same regardless of recruiting propaganda. NATO members states are boss and we know it. its an old idea; real politics.

TouchNfoaM
May 1, 2009

Oberleutnant posted:

Blah blah blah baby raping psychopaths blah blah blah

Best name I've ever been called. Dude, free college is great!

texaholic
Sep 16, 2007

Well it's floodin' down in Texas
All of the telephone lines are down
http://wow.joystiq.com/2014/11/06/theres-already-someone-in-line-at-blizzcon-and-they-have-29-le/

quote:

If you were planning on being first in line at BlizzCon, you're already too late. The front of the line has been taken by Brendan "Tibs" Thibodeau, aka Slowmilk, a level 90 tauren death knight from Zangarmarsh, as well as a host of other characters. How many, you might ask -- how about twenty-nine level 90's, complete with five legendary cloaks, eleven Thunderfuries, four Sulfuron Hammers, and one set of Warglaives of Azzinoth completed, with two more in progress.

This BlizzCon is the sixth for Tibs, and out of those six BlizzCons, he has been first in line four times. A fifteen year Navy veteran, Tibs played World of Warcraft overseas and once he got home as well. "World of Warcraft was my second home," said Tibs, who has been playing World of Warcraft since December of 2005. "It was getting on and meeting other people from all over the world and having those connections." As for what he'd like to see from BlizzCon ... well, he's still hoping for a mount -- the one and only BlizzCon mount was the Polar Bear from BlizzCon 2008. But in the meantime, Tibs has been busy working on his own goals -- he just got a degree in game production, and hopes to work for Blizzard one day himself. Until then, we know where to find him ... he'll be the guy with the first goodie bag and badge of the con.

Your tax dollars hard at work folks......

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

take the full step into full fascism. just do it USA. you have it in you. stop holding back. might makes right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

TouchNfoaM posted:

Best name I've ever been called. Dude, free college is great!

lol i live in a civilisedcountry where i can get education without having to kill people for it haha

• Locked thread