Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hohhat
Sep 25, 2014
Surprised somebody doesn't hand this guy a job as an "expert" panelist at Fox or right wing radio.

He should have learned a better trade than face-shooting. Certified plumbers never go hungry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

mookface posted:

He should go back and kill more Muslims for a private security company he has good credentials

They have toy planes doing that now.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

SpicyMeatSandwich posted:

Or he could have some huge Christian awakening and go to churches and talk about how God told him to shoot OBL in the face and that he saw his spirit immediately dragged to hell.

There was an ex seal doing exactly that, but some other PTSD case went nuts and shot him while they were hanging out at a gun range. And that's how we know Allah is real.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

The one good thing about living near a base.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

natetimm posted:

Actually I work for the government with a pension in a job with high job security, but I am acutely aware that is not the case for the vast majority of people out there.

Its true, things are hard out there for a lot of people. Even so, you don't need to kill people for money. That's more aspirational.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

natetimm posted:

It's sad. Row upon row of smiling young dead dudes enshrined in a bar in the town where SEALs are trained. Considering what it takes to get into any sort of Special Forces, the amount of potential snuffed out on that wall is staggering when you think about it. I've found that no matter which of my friends I bring in there and their political beliefs, it's a very somber thing for all of them.

Potential murderers, all murdered in the very act of murdering. Sobering.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

natetimm posted:

Being a murderer is only really controversial to people who enjoy the privilege of living in societies created by mass murder.

Yeah that's true, without those SEALs murdering brown children in Afghanistan there's no way society could function. There's no way they are a worthless evil in the world, collectively less valuable than a single immigrant fruit picker.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

natetimm posted:

If you're 19 and/or an idiot this probably makes a lot of sense. Unfortunately most adults realize the world is a much more complicated place. It's easy to distill things down to black and white like that, just remember you're only really doing it primarily to make yourself feel good.

I'm 12 actually, so no swears plz.

Explain to me how the "sacrifice" of those fine young sociopaths accomplished anything worthwhile.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Bolow posted:

well they killed brown "people"

No, the guys with their pictures on the wall got murked by the browns. The bar is effectively a shrine to the falsehood of white supremacism.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

natetimm posted:

Having an able and ready military has proven to be a necessity for any nation wanting to remain a nation throughout recorded history. You aren't the first or the last person who will see them in a totally negative light, but history tells a different tale. No matter if you disagree with the specific current mission or not, until the world reaches the next step of human development, a strong military remains the best form of insurance for survival. This isn't even the first time this century a bunch of anti-military isolationists have tried to put forth the narrative that intervening in other places in the world is bad and been proven catastrophically wrong. It's a question with no good answers because all of the options are bad.

Interfere and risk bad outcomes? Don't interfere and risk bad outcomes? There's no guarantee that either of those philosophies will lead to anything good. You can only really try and aim for the less bad outcomes by acting proactively. I can't pretend to say that everywhere the US military has gone has been sunshine and rainbows afterwards but I also can't pretend like sticking our head in the sand and refusing to get involved has done us any favors either. Like I said, it's complicated and not a black/white issue of moral certainty.

I didn't ask for a history 101 on the existence of armed forces throughout history. I asked why was accomplished by those SEALs dying in failed bid to defeat the Taliban or reconstitute Iraq. And you know that the answer is "nothing."

Anyway even if we accept the premise that armed interventions are essential, I'm not sure why people are supposed to admire the kind of people who volunteer themselves as paid killers as opposed to taking up some other trade.

As there are no moral certainties here, its entirely possible that all of those faces on the wall belonged to sick people who wanted to commit murder and get patted on the head for it, but were instead owned by the people they were sent to kill, and thus we should laugh at them. I mean anything is possible, right?

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

natetimm posted:

I think it's easy to look down at "paid killers" when you live in a country and reap the benefits the best "paid killers" in history provided.

You're ducking the question. How does anyone benefit from these paid killers murdering Afghans?

Why should these failed murderers be celebrated?

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

The Muslims killed these particular SEALs we were talking about. If anything their getting slain in battle by Muslims actually empowers and emboldens the people you are prejudiced against. Seems counterproductive.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Bolow posted:

i agree we should dust off our chemical weapon stockpile and just nerve gas everything in afghanistan and turn it into one giant open pit mine

Yes, the only rational move at this point is to commit the greatest genocide in human history. Its a logical progression from your murderers failing to accomplish their pointless missions in the region.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Bobert Bobertson posted:

arent there muslims in the military

Sure, self-hating ones.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

RonMexicosPitbull posted:

they get really mad at hoods, both clitoral and fortlike

US soldiers show proper respect for the clitoris, while raping and then murdering Iraqi 12-year-olds. :911:

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Bolow posted:

i sincerely wish death upon the entire middle east, and north africa (excluding tunisia and morocco)

You should write a book about that.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

TouchNfoaM posted:

I'm a psychopathic baby raper. Talk about killing browns please. Kill browns errry day.

A recruiting sgt would like to talk to you!

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014
Vets in the US get what people in other developed countries all get anyway, and the pension is commensurate with most public service jobs.

This is why joining the military isn't celebrated to such an absurd degree in other developed nations.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Mange Mite posted:

by developed country though you mean a handful of western european nations and also japan that america rebuilt and that get free american military hand-outs

I guess if you're going to have a massively expensive and ineffective military, you might as well perpetuate the myth that it is somehow building/protecting the rest of the world. :shrug:

The largest recipient of US foreign and military aid, by a wide margin, is Israel, and that's only like $3B a year. You're not funding anyone's health care systems. You're funding the red light district near your bases.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Killing trash bin layman doesn't give you a free ticket. Also, an E7 who got out four years before retirement and complains about it is pretty laugh-out-loud. Obviously he didn't know how to skate.

I think its worth a talking-head job on Fox News.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

:vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Bro Dad posted:

why didnt he take the beer delivery job? you get great pay to drive a truck around town and make dropoffs. its basically the best retirement job ever for a grunt

Slap-fights about military policy aside, I think we can all agree beer delivery guy is a cool job.

• Locked thread