Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I saw this movie and this weirdo dude who masturbates to violence against women is a CRAZY man. I have no idea what the gently caress happened other than like, *SPOILERS* (I don't know how to use spoiler tags and that poo poo isn't written down anywhere easily accessible) everyone died at the end and I think the old man was trying to like, make money or something? Jeez, crazy movie, and it also had like, 4 different rape scenes and a dude gets kicked in half and another one gets his penis hosed up by some brutal looking scissors and there's a gay demon snake man. Truly an OUT THERE movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squidbeak
Jul 24, 2007

Com Truise

Buschmaki posted:

I saw this movie and this weirdo dude who masturbates to violence against women is a CRAZY man. I have no idea what the gently caress happened other than like, *SPOILERS* (I don't know how to use spoiler tags and that poo poo isn't written down anywhere easily accessible) everyone died at the end and I think the old man was trying to like, make money or something? Jeez, crazy movie, and it also had like, 4 different rape scenes and a dude gets kicked in half and another one gets his penis hosed up by some brutal looking scissors and there's a gay demon snake man. Truly an OUT THERE movie.

Miike just hosed your mind

Topographic Nap
Apr 22, 2007

Is that the one where the dude has slits in his cheek and when he smokes it comes out? if so that is a badass movie

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

This movie intro owns:
:nws:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TM65MPPn4PA

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
Miike is a really good director and I wish he was more influential

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Supposedly that's real sperm at the beginning

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
It was a pretty good movie, had lots of intense scenes but not as hosed up as Visitor Q (which I wouldn't say is really a great movie, just hosed up)

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
takashi miike is loving awesome

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

the ending to this movie is fuckin amazing

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I love that movie, and the way it explores how sadomasochism relates to violent and/or exploitative film is pretty well done.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
you know whats a really weird movie in a completely different tone? southland tales. i actually kind of like it. it's one of those "good" or at least interesting bad movies.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

ichi the killer is alright i guess. tho its kinda like yeah duh ichi is gonna kill everyone and come out on top but i dont like him anyway so what does it matter

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
kakihara's outfits are awesome

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

SmokaDustbowl posted:

kakihara's outfits are awesome
this is undeniable

old fat bird
Oct 27, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
THis movie was really hosed but not in a cool way, uncomfortable at the end, no one finished, would not gently caress to again.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
best japanese b-movie is versus 2000

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
Ichi the Killer is cool and good

Takashi Miike is cool and good

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Frostwerks posted:

you know whats a really weird movie in a completely different tone? southland tales. i actually kind of like it. it's one of those "good" or at least interesting bad movies.

I appreciate any film that tries to have that sort of Lynchian sense of bizarre disconnect, even if it sucks my anal glands.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

to me it seems like just an extreme version of the anime theme of "even you, a pathetic, spineless, piece of poo poo manchild, can be the best, the coolest, and dominate women, etc"

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
to truely dominant a woman you must become a woman

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

a hole-y ghost posted:

to me it seems like just an extreme version of the anime theme of "even you, a pathetic, spineless, piece of poo poo manchild, can be the best, the coolest, and dominate women, etc"

you mean every action movie that doesn't have the protagonist start out at that level?

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

this movie about gangsters cutting eachother in half with swords has some troubling messages hidden under the surface :tvtropes:

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

a hole-y ghost posted:

It really doesn't seem like the movie present ichi as a dude to emulate, he ends up doing a sickass roundhouse into his pretend brother's throat in front of his son then gets the poo poo kicked out of him by the kid, not really a great role model to aspire to.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I don't think anyone actually got cut with a sword in this movie, which makes it a very reserved yakuza movie.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

a hole-y ghost posted:

Nah, it's about how the ultimate sadist is someone who won't accept any pain, including mental (as in Ichi's case) so basically instead of being the cool suave psychopath you're a loving insane blubbering barely functional adult child who breaks down in extreme negative response at even the slightest pain, be it mental or physical.
That's why Kakihara is absolutely fascinated and obsessed with him, he's a pure sadist, and Kakihari, being a massive sadomasochist, badly desires to find him so that Ichi can give him the fear and pain (the ultimate rush) that he wants.

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
The Phoenix Wright movie he did was pretty good.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

JebanyPedal posted:

Nah, it's about how the ultimate sadist is someone who won't accept any pain, including mental (as in Ichi's case) so basically instead of being the cool suave psychopath you're a loving insane blubbering barely functional adult child who breaks down in extreme negative response at even the slightest pain, be it mental or physical.
That's why Kakihara is absolutely fascinated and obsessed with him, he's a pure sadist, and Kakihari, being a massive sadomasochist, badly desires to find him so that Ichi can give him the fear and pain (the ultimate rush) that he wants.

...Like the people who go around watching crazy, gory movies by psychos... :aaa:

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

yeah what i meant was more that I saw the movie as an examination of the "schlub who becomes powerful but actually stays a schlub" archetype but i guess jebanypedal's explanation makes more sense

Philadelphia
Sep 29, 2014
I never watched the movie but I read the manga and I remember the ending barely making any sense.

I just remembered that Ichi kicks Kakihara's dick off and Kakihara realizes his life is worthless and falls to his death or something.

Philadelphia fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Nov 6, 2014

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

darealkooky posted:

you mean every action movie that doesn't have the protagonist start out at that level?

darealkooky posted:

this movie about gangsters cutting eachother in half with swords has some troubling messages hidden under the surface :tvtropes:

uh oh looks like i really offended this guy lol

id better Watch Out

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
When someone expresses anything negative about something I like on the internet the only recourse is to fight them.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Philadelphia posted:

I never watched the movie but I read the manga and I remember the ending barely making any sense.

I just remembered that Ichi kicks Kakihara's dick off and Kakihara realizes his life is worthless and falls to his death or something.

The movie's interpretation of this is that at the ending, Ichi, being the pure sadist that he is, can't take what happened (his resultant pain at the belief that he's killed his "brother" , and Takeshi wailing on him), and breaks down crying, Kakihari realizes that the rush that he's wanted, the one thing he wanted to make his life meaningful, a painful, perfectly sadistic death, will be denied to him, so he skewers his ears to block out Ichi's crying and in despair commits suicide by falling and fantasizes about the perfect death that he wanted. The movie then shows him in hell, in an empty room, with no one there to give him the pain he so desires, no stimulation of any sort.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

a hole-y ghost posted:

yeah what i meant was more that I saw the movie as an examination of the "schlub who becomes powerful but actually stays a schlub" archetype but i guess jebanypedal's explanation makes more sense

He doesn't become powerful though, he's just as good at loving people up at the beginning of the movie as he is at the end of the movie

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Devils Affricate posted:

He doesn't become powerful though, he's just as good at loving people up at the beginning of the movie as he is at the end of the movie
yeah true... now that i think about it hes kind of a static character and kakihara is more the hero who undergoes development especially in his indirect and direct interactions with ichi

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Buschmaki posted:

When someone expresses anything negative about something I like on the internet the only recourse is to fight them.

the only recourse is to cut their neck open with a kick while sobbing wildly

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

SmokaDustbowl posted:

the only recourse is to cut their neck open with a kick while sobbing wildly
how could you forget the cumming

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

a hole-y ghost posted:

yeah true... now that i think about it hes kind of a static character and kakihara is more the hero who undergoes development especially in his indirect and direct interactions with ichi

Yeah, Kakihara is definitely the protagonist. Ichi is almost more a force of nature in the film than an actual human being.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

JebanyPedal posted:

Yeah, Kakihara is definitely the protagonist. Ichi is almost more a force of nature in the film than an actual human being.
i think a lot of my misunderstanding was from thinking hed be the protagonist based on the title + only half paying attention to watching the movie bc i was cooking or something

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

a hole-y ghost posted:

i think a lot of my misunderstanding was from thinking hed be the protagonist based on the title + only half paying attention to watching the movie bc i was cooking or something

I haven't read it, but from the little I've seen/heard about, Ichi is more the protagonist and has a somewhat different development in the manga, they obviously kept the same title for the movie despite the change in focus because that's what you do with adaptations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

JebanyPedal posted:

I haven't read it, but from the little I've seen/heard about, Ichi is more the protagonist and has a somewhat different development in the manga, they obviously kept the same title for the movie despite the change in focus because that's what you do with adaptations.
hmm that makes sense I guess

• Locked thread