Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Has anyone actually tried them before? They look pretty tasty to me if they are fried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
I can confirm that frog legs are good.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
What do they taste like?

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Both France and England eat food that's pretty gross but at least France's gross food actually tastes good

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
They take on other flavors rather well with a hint of fishiness

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Over There posted:

What do they taste like?

a little less gamey than toad legs

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Over There posted:

What do they taste like?

Tastes like chicken, but feels "fishy."

Best explanation I can give. They're pretty good, yo.

Gunky Junket
Oct 30, 2014

by Ralp

Yaldabaoth posted:

Both France and England eat food that's pretty gross but at least France's gross food actually tastes good

I'd have a hard time convincing myself that snails "actually taste good" - regardless of how much butter or duck fat they are sautéd in.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Gunky Junket posted:

I'd have a hard time convincing myself that snails "actually taste good" - regardless of how much butter or duck fat they are sautéd in.

It's about the culture. :downs:

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

Here's the summary

Do you want to eat something like Chicken Wings, but still have a pretentious air to you? Then your answer is frog legs.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Food is more or less capitalist, if stuff is good it will be popular.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

Shadoer posted:

Here's the summary

Do you want to eat something like Chicken Wings, but still have a pretentious air to you? Then your answer is frog legs.

lol, swamp people are well known for their affectation

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL
no thanks, i prefer chicken wings too.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

Tricky D posted:

lol, swamp people are well known for their affectation

SHHHH!

Don't let the hipsters and the pretentious connoisseurs know. You'll ruin the market!

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

:goku:

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Ive never had them before but they look pretty delicious and i would have some at the first opportunity

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers

Gunky Junket posted:

escargot is great. Texture-wise they're very similar to mussels, flavor-wise they taste like whatever you saute them in. and you get to use the cool little escargot tools to eat them. there is a legitimate hypothesis backed by archaeological evidence that snails were the first "farmed" critters way back when.

frogs are good too. like somebody else said, they're kind of like fishy chicken. only problem is there's not that much meat for the price so it's more of just a novelty to enjoy every now and then rather than an actual meal, unless you live in the swamp or something and catch them by the bucketfull.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Jesus Christ posted:

escargot is great. Texture-wise they're very similar to mussels, flavor-wise they taste like whatever you saute them in. and you get to use the cool little escargot tools to eat them. there is a legitimate hypothesis backed by archaeological evidence that snails were the first "farmed" critters way back when.

frogs are good too. like somebody else said, they're kind of like fishy chicken. only problem is there's not that much meat for the price so it's more of just a novelty to enjoy every now and then rather than an actual meal, unless you live in the swamp or something and catch them by the bucketfull.

That's like lobster or crab here in VA. It's extremely expensive for only a little meat.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
I guess frog legs are the new lobster, a gentrified food.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
Do you eat the rest of the frog? This seems like a waste of frog.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Can you add it to other types of food? Maybe like frogchicken? frogpork?

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

it's a key element in my annual thanksgiving turfroducken

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

LifeSizePotato posted:

it's a key element in my annual thanksgiving turfroducken

What does that consist of?

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Over There posted:

What does that consist of?

like the name indicates: turkey-frog-duck-chicken

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

aquatic creatures are horrible. i live near a pretty disgusting river and my friend once spearfished a huge catfish out of it and fed it to his family including his like 8 year old waiflike diabetic sister and i'm really surprised they didnt die of mercury poisoning

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
microwaved catfish is really gross

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Fandyien posted:

aquatic creatures are horrible. i live near a pretty disgusting river and my friend once spearfished a huge catfish out of it and fed it to his family including his like 8 year old waiflike diabetic sister and i'm really surprised they didnt die of mercury poisoning

lol fishing in the james. what the hell

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Over There posted:

buddy of mine jumped in with an open wound and was hospitalized for a staph infection. lmao

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

LifeSizePotato posted:

like the name indicates: turkey-frog-duck-chicken

What a beauty

^^^ I wouldn't go into that water for anything.

Over There fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Nov 6, 2014

Lonely Virgil
Oct 9, 2012

Fandyien posted:

i used to live next to creek and some kids i knew went fishing in and caught some fish (not with pole, they just jumped in the creek and caught them with their hands), they had to convince not to eat their catch.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It's Marxist chicken. It's real good.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

larchesdanrew posted:

Tastes like chicken, but feels "fishy."

Best explanation I can give. They're pretty good, yo.

gator's pretty much the same too, btw

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
you can find them at most Chinese buffets. a good, cheap way to experience them without going out of your way.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Lonely Virgil posted:

i used to live next to creek and some kids i knew went fishing in and caught some fish (not with pole, they just jumped in the creek and caught them with their hands), they had to convince not to eat their catch.

public waterways probably aren't suitable for any kind of fishing w/intent to consume really

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
i grew up eating critters bullfrogs taste goods, squirrels taste good racoons taste good even a fat rat taste good.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Tricky D posted:

I can confirm that frog legs are good.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Business Gorillas posted:

gator is rubbery and subpar imo

Goodtime Pancreas
May 31, 2007

Over There posted:

The James isn't too bad, especially near the mouth; the Elizabeth and Lafayette are like 10 times worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robbie Fowler
May 31, 2011

Business Gorillas posted:

yep, was gonna say the same thing!

never had frogs legs but escargot is delicious.

• Locked thread