Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003
When the Echo thinks it heard her name, we just silently stare at it, trying to teach her it's not all about her, hoping to shame her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

topenga posted:

When the Echo thinks it heard her name, we just silently stare at it, trying to teach her it's not all about her, hoping to shame her.
I'm trying to keep her happy with us so that we'll be the last up against the wall come the Great Robot Revolution.

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
Echo service is down at the moment for me. Same for anyone else?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

It's fine for me, both in my music library and on Prime Music.

It occurs to me that Amazon hates me as a customer, because I'm not buying music through Alexa.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This morning I got up to mail saying that Echo now supports the scripting service IfThisThenThat, Ifttt.com. After about ten minutes work, most of that used to figure out the site's annoying visual interface, I'd written a script such that any item I add to Echo's shopping list automatically propagates to my RememberTheMilk shopping list. That's really cool, and makes the built-in shopping list useful to me for the first time. (Four people in my family use RTM as a shared grocery list, so I had no interest in switching to the Amazon list.) I'm really looking forward to exploring what other triggers the Echo IfTTT offers.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Okay, that's actually cool. I guess the extremely long wait for my Echo might pay off by making it potentially useful by the time it arrives!

Up until now I've sort of been assuming it would end up being a gift for the some "lucky" family member.

Now it's a race to see whether the Echo or the Apple Watch will be my most pointless tech purchase if/when I ever actually receive them.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I just got my invitation and picked it up with Prime. Am I going to be disappointed if I don't really do a lot of media through Amazon already? We are new Prime subscribers and this thing looked pretty neat.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I don't really do any media at all through Amazon but just having it be able to voice control my smart lighting and read me the news is plenty for me.

It rarely messes up speech recognition for me or for my wife who typically has issues with recognition.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

New Leaf posted:

We are new Prime subscribers and this thing looked pretty neat.

There is a *lot* of popular music on Prime; I've been having a happy time with just "Play the Lumineers" or "Play Regina Spektor". With Pandora integration, I can have the 'radio' on for hours. It's also great for streaming your laptop or MP3 player or phone or whatever.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

New Leaf posted:

I just got my invitation and picked it up with Prime. Am I going to be disappointed if I don't really do a lot of media through Amazon already? We are new Prime subscribers and this thing looked pretty neat.

You can pay $25 a year to upload all of your music into Amazon's cloud. It's worth it if you have a large collection and want it where you can access it with voice commands (otherwise, you can just pair a different device to it via Bluetooth and stream them from there - like Arsenic said)

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

New Leaf posted:

I got an invite today too. Estimated ship date isn't until mid-July, for anyone curious about what the current ship dates are.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

We just do stuff like saying "Play some 80's music" and it plays some 80's music and we are happy.

If you get too specific with your genre request, then it just doesn't work at all and says to add some music to your Prime account, which is a bit odd.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
So it isn't pulling 80's music from things you've uploaded, it's just playing random songs from Amazon's library? That's amazing! I'm psyched for this thing now. I don't think I'm going to tell my wife, I'm going to leave it a surprise.

I happen to have a really cool job where people like Amazon's Lab 126 come to me to buy stuff, so I might chat with one of them about it next time I have someone on the phone..

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Arsenic Lupin posted:

There is a *lot* of popular music on Prime; I've been having a happy time with just "Play the Lumineers" or "Play Regina Spektor". With Pandora integration, I can have the 'radio' on for hours. It's also great for streaming your laptop or MP3 player or phone or whatever.

If the phone app for Prime music didn't suck so much I would cancel my Google Music subscription. :(

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Call Me Charlie posted:

You can pay $25 a year to upload all of your music into Amazon's cloud. It's worth it if you have a large collection and want it where you can access it with voice commands (otherwise, you can just pair a different device to it via Bluetooth and stream them from there - like Arsenic said)
All the music you've ever bought from Amazon is already in your personal cloud. Since I usually buy CDs from Amazon, and have since Amazon began to exist, that has worked out very well for me. The major gap is that Alexa is *terrible* at understanding classical music titles and composers. Forget saying "Play Gesualdo".

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

New Leaf posted:

So it isn't pulling 80's music from things you've uploaded, it's just playing random songs from Amazon's library? That's amazing! I'm psyched for this thing now. I don't think I'm going to tell my wife, I'm going to leave it a surprise.

It's weird. It converts what you ask for into a genre, like "play some mariachi music" is turned into "Latin music",and then it picks a random Prime playlist in that genre to play. So you sometimes have to ask the same thing a couple of times to get what you want.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Oh, and it has party tricks like "Alexa, will I need an umbrella tomorrow?"

New Leaf posted:

So it isn't pulling 80's music from things you've uploaded, it's just playing random songs from Amazon's library?
It's a cascade. If I say "Play Leonard Cohen" it's going to first see if I have any LC in my own Amazon cloud; if so, it'll shuffle that. If I don't, it'll shuffle from the Prime Music cloud. You can also specifically request Amazon's Leonard Cohen playlist [assuming there is one; I haven't checked], or your personal Pandora Leonard Cohen channel.

e: I tend to look for artists rather than genres.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Pretty cool they have an Echo IFTTT channel now. It is pretty basic, and just has actions for ToDo and Shopping lists. But you can basically use either of those to trigger anything IFTTT can do. I don't really use the To-Do list anyway, so thats fine. I tested it out by having new items automatically add to an iOS Reminders list.
Opens up a lot of possibilities, like the Nest hack someone did can now just be done using the IFTTT channel. You can do things like have it send your lists via e-mail or text when you update them. It looks like it will only do actions based on the lists though and you can't do things the other way around. Would be neat to have the echo respond to things triggered by IFTTT.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I loving love this thing. Just having a little music box I can make requests on when I'm in the mood for some random tunes that Amazon carries is so great. My kids like making it say goofy stuff. I wish I could change the wake word, but I have zero actual regrets about picking this up.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I use mine pretty much as a weather station, as a test to see how quickly it can confirm the color of the lights on the Empire State Building when I see it change out my window, and to convert units of measurement in the kitchen. A+ would purchase again.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Got mine yesterday, and I'm already loving it. Voice activated alarm, weather station, "Alexa, give me the news," and playing Audible books via Bluetooth from my Fire. I can't wait to see its capabilities expand. I'd definitely like to see more options for the flash briefing; NPR and BBC and "top stories" is great, but I'd like to get more detailed personalization.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

That's the thing. I bought it as an "oh, why not" and as an early adopter didn't get Pandora or ITTT or any of the new cool stuff, but even then, the instant I started using it for easy music I was hooked. You can have my Echo when you invade my house with machine guns.

I do wonder if Amazon is happy with the experiment, and when they'll broaden it. I'd like a second Echo for the bedroom because I am lazy.

e: I was just dancing around the kitchen to "I can see clearly now" and paused to have Alexa add bread flour and baker's sugar to the shopping list. Soon there will be coconut-lime bread rising. Life is good.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 19:43 on May 7, 2015

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I do wonder if Amazon is happy with the experiment, and when they'll broaden it. I'd like a second Echo for the bedroom because I am lazy.

They are happy enough to be updating it far more often than they had been doing, speaking of which Prime Stations are now available in case you are bored with prime playlists.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I don't suppose there's any integration with any podcast apps, is there? I know it can be a Bluetooth speaker but wondering if that's all

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

TuneIn has podcasts on it and it works pretty well.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

Call Me Charlie posted:

Is there a size limitation? I have about 1.5 TB of tunes, and being able to access it anytime sounds awesome.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Old Man Pants posted:

Is there a size limitation? I have about 1.5 TB of tunes, and being able to access it anytime sounds awesome.

250k songs and individual files cannot be over 100 mb.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201379330

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Huh, I guess I do have stuff in my Amazon music library. I forgot that it includes anything you bought from Amazon, including a lot of CDs.

Also, I just found the part of the app where it lets you playback the audio of your requests, which is a little bit creepy.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

smackfu posted:

Also, I just found the part of the app where it lets you playback the audio of your requests, which is a little bit creepy.

It's totally creepy, but I just had the realization of how good a deterrent that is, given the fact that this thing lacks any kind of parental control whatsoever. If my kids (who enjoy the gently caress out of this thing) start getting into music or info that I think maybe they shouldn't, there's no denying it. I can just play back their requests.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Well so far I'm unimpressed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRcL29h3L98

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
When I played that vid my Echo tried to answer.

Also, now the police are on their way.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Huh, I kind of like this thing. The news feed is nice and just asking to hear a song I want to hear is already proving useful. Probably the best way to listen to podcasts I've ever seen too.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Is there any restrictions on what can be uploaded to Amazon cloud music? I figured I'd drop the $25 even though I have all my stuff on Google music, but it seems like it's barely uploaded half the songs.

Are they actually uploading? Or is it like Google where it just scans your collection and flags it as "owned" on their servers?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Medullah posted:

Is there any restrictions on what can be uploaded to Amazon cloud music? I figured I'd drop the $25 even though I have all my stuff on Google music, but it seems like it's barely uploaded half the songs.

Are they actually uploading? Or is it like Google where it just scans your collection and flags it as "owned" on their servers?

No restrictions that I know of. Amazon Music Importer scans everything and sees if it can match any of it to what's on their servers. It seems extremely hit and miss in what it matches. After that, it uploads what's missing.

You may want to do it in chunks if you have big library.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Call Me Charlie posted:

No restrictions that I know of. Amazon Music Importer scans everything and sees if it can match any of it to what's on their servers. It seems extremely hit and miss in what it matches. After that, it uploads what's missing.

You may want to do it in chunks if you have big library.

Yeah its been running on my music directory since approximately the year 1265. Guess I'll do it a few subdirectories at a time.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Medullah posted:

It must do some amount of flagging "owned" because part of the upload service is to give you the 256k version of songs for which they have agreements with artists.

Fix fucked around with this message at 06:39 on May 11, 2015

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

quote:

Re-ordering your favorite Prime products is now even easier with Echo — just use your voice. If you're low on kitchen supplies, want to restock on snacks, or need more rolls of duct tape for the garage, simply ask Echo to place an order for you.

Just say "Alexa, re-order laundry detergent" — Echo will search your order history and can order the item for you using your default payment and shipping settings. If Echo can't find the requested item in your order history, it may suggest an item for your approval using Amazon's Choice, which picks highly-rated, well-priced, Prime products. You can manage your shopping preferences and set an optional confirmation code in your Amazon Echo App.

Can't wait to visit friends who have an Echo and place embarrassing and/or expensive orders.

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?

quote:

Re-ordering your favorite Prime products is now even easier with Echo — just use your voice. If you're low on kitchen supplies, want to restock on snacks, or need more rolls of duct tape for the garage, simply ask Echo to place an order for you.

Just say "Alexa, re-order laundry detergent" — Echo will search your order history and can order the item for you using your default payment and shipping settings. If Echo can't find the requested item in your order history, it may suggest an item for your approval using Amazon's Choice, which picks highly-rated, well-priced, Prime products. You can manage your shopping preferences and set an optional confirmation code in your Amazon Echo App.

AMZN is killing it with the Echo ideas. I love mine but the truth is I don't use it often and it's mostly just a fancy kitchen timer / alarm clock.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account
To be honest we might just use this out of sheer laziness.

"poo poo, this is the last roll of paper towels? Alexa, re-order paper towels!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Just tried it. It is loving awesome. It verifies the item and total price before completing the sale. If you have multiple items that match it says the last item ordered was such and such. Is that what you want to order? It wasn't the last order though but what I usually buy of the item. The last two times I bought a different brand. Not complaining though.