Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
The product video looks neat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GijLoiVkmYI

I "applied" (lol) for the $99 dealie. Let's see if Bezos thinks I am cool enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Finally got an invite. Late Feb ship estimate.

I had some sort of zombie credit so it ended up costing $66 shipped. Nice.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Does anyone use Google Voice? If so, does the Echo ring when someone calls your GV number? I just noticed it and it has me a bit confused.

I don't recall ever linking things together for this to happen and it's not connected to anything via bluetooth.

:tinfoil:

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Tap and dot arrived today. The Tap is pretty small and the sound is pretty great. Will be perfect for summer patio lounging. Haven't used the dot yet but it's small as you would expect.

The Tap is real neat though. Can see tethered to a phone during a BBQ being a pretty fun party trick.

Amazon has saved itself from the Fire phone debacle it seems.

Edit: La Familia

Edit 2: the dot works completely by itself. You can use it to, for example, stream music from the unit itself. Obviously the sound is tinny and thin, but in the bedroom (where mine now is) that's pretty neat. Reminiscent of, well, a clock radio speaker. Can hear news in the morning or have it read a book from Audible, etc. Alarms too. Pretty neat little thing even if you don't want a speaker connected all the time.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Mar 31, 2016

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

bull3964 posted:

I really don't understand why tap can't be set to be always listening.

Yeah this is a strange one. After yelling at a few times after getting it set up, I realized that you have to push the button to have it listen. At least you don't have to say the trigger word...just say what you want it to do and you're off.

It is odd though.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Call Me Charlie posted:

Somebody on the Echo subreddit got creative.

:psyduck:

Yeah and I saw where some people are using the dot in their car, too. :newlol:

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

JHVH-1 posted:

My car has USB to power it, and bluetooth to sync it, but I guess you need a phone with wifi shared to use it?

Does the tap work if you have a cell plan without hotspot? Like can it work over bluetooth to talk to amazon or something?

I don't think it would work on anything but wifi. And you'd have to set your phones SSID and password to be identical to your home since you can't set it up otherwise.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Apr 3, 2016

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
We got the mother in law (widowed) an Echo for Christmas. She's enamored with it. It actually gives her "company" since she's alone. Pretty cool IMO.

Has an iPhone. Never used Siri and has no interest in doing so. Amazon is doing it right for a lot of use cases. Sure if your Android device works, but for the ordinary person, Echo is the correct solution.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

eyebeem posted:

Wife just gave me one for my birthday.

Very impressive, and fun to play with for the last 5 minutes. I look forward to only using it to time boiling eggs from now on.

We use it for:

1. Timers
2. Weather
3. Playing talk radio for our dogs when we leave
4. That's about it

I know it does a million other things but these 3 are really the extent of our use. Worth it? Perhaps. It's nice to bark multiple timers when your hands are dirty while cooking.

Hue bulbs would be neat but gently caress dropping hundreds of dollars on light bulbs.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I was an "early adopter" of the original Echo Dot. Had it since day one.

I seem to recall some pre-existing owner discount for the gen2 dot...but I ordered one (using my dot via voice) last week and it shipped this week.

Full $49 charged.

I mean, I'm not complaining - it's a still a great price, but I seem to recall the internet saying Amazon was handing out an "oops, we updated it already, here's $10 off" discount for existing owners. I'm mistaken, apparently.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

benisntfunny posted:

I never saw anything like that. Had original echo pre-order and ordered dot the day it was announced. It's $10 off if you buy 5 because the 6th is free?

Ah, maybe I misunderstood. Seems if you order the echo dot with your echo dot (yo, dawg) you will get a $10 echo shopping credit a week after it ships...to buy other stuff using your echo I guess? Slick Deals is hardly a source, but maybe this is where I saw it to begin with:

http://slickdeals.net/f/9105275-echo-dot-2nd-generation-black-or-white-pre-order-50-free-shipping?page=10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Keystoned posted:

Alexa only deal today for $15 off a hue starter kit. Includes the hub and 2 white bulbs for $55.

I want to buy it, but I know it's like the first free hit from a drug dealer, so I'm just saying NO.