Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

The good thing is that I have at least 4 months to figure out what to do with the Echo I ordered. If support for Google Play Music is added by then, I'll be pretty happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Okay, that's actually cool. I guess the extremely long wait for my Echo might pay off by making it potentially useful by the time it arrives!

Up until now I've sort of been assuming it would end up being a gift for the some "lucky" family member.

Now it's a race to see whether the Echo or the Apple Watch will be my most pointless tech purchase if/when I ever actually receive them.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Huh, I kind of like this thing. The news feed is nice and just asking to hear a song I want to hear is already proving useful. Probably the best way to listen to podcasts I've ever seen too.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I like how often features show up (and that it's automatic). Google Music is on tap, I hope.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

JHVH-1 posted:

The first time I saw it mentioned I just went into preferences and turned off voice purchasing altogether. I don't think I have ever bought a single song, I always buy albums so it was better just to not have it there.
You can say "buy this album". :homebrew:

SLOSifl fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jun 9, 2015

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

mobby_6kl posted:

Does the Echo only speak English? It seems like it'd be the perfect gadget for my parents but they're not exactly fluent.
I'm not sure if it has other language options, but my wife has a pretty strong accent and it works fine. Probably 8 out of 10 times it picks up the command with no issue.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

The echo will learn just by using it as well - for example, I wanted to listen to "Dunes" by Alabama Shakes. The first few times it heard "tunes" - "Alexa play tunes". Adding "by Alabama Shakes" cleared things up, but since I played the song a few times, now I can just say "dunes" again and it works.

Just be very specific for a bit if it's having trouble. Eventually it will learn.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

If you have pets def. try the Simon Says thing. "Scruffy you are a good boy" or whatever gets the same look as if a dog said that to me.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

bull3964 posted:

So, when are they going to use the tech in the dash buttons to replace my doorbells and have Alexa announce visitors?

I have a wireless doorbell already, but would definitely buy let Alexa buy that.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

beerinator posted:

Speaking of Alexa responding to tv or videos, has anyone ever noticed what she does when an Amazon Echo commercial comes on? I can see my echo from where I sit watching tv and I noticed that she hears her name in the commercials, the blue ring comes on and then she immediately seems to turn off. I'm wondering if they've taught her how to listen to official commercials and disregard them based on the specific noise pattern in the commercial?
I have definitely noticed it not waking up many times, so I'm guessing there is some barely audible sound that tells Alexa to ignore the hot word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

You can name them individually.