Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Aw man, I have been waiting patiently but another round skips me :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

Woo I finally got an invite! My ship date is in May though. #shipdatechat

No idea what I am gonna use this thing for but it seems cool.

Anybody done anything with some of the home automation hacks for it that are out there?

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

Mine will finally be here Tuesday, but I'll be out of town for work. Excited to finally get to tinker with it though, after ordering in January.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

Mine was originally supposed to ship 5/21 I think. It arrived today and I think it is really neat. I wish it could control the smart bulbs that are connected to my Wemo Link but for now it works fine.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I don't really do any media at all through Amazon but just having it be able to voice control my smart lighting and read me the news is plenty for me.

It rarely messes up speech recognition for me or for my wife who typically has issues with recognition.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I love making it say curse words because of how it bleeps them cable TV style.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I use it with a few Wemo switches. Works great. My wife always fucks up the name of the devices ("light" instead of "lamp") and it is smart enough to work around that.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I kinda think I want a Dot, we find ourselves yelling from the bedroom to turn lights on and off as well as the compatibility with Nest being something I can see being great with that.

It's funny how common my interactions with Alexa have become in daily life. I think this is the thing that really makes my connected home feel smart.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

Alexa doesn't say OK anymore when I tell her to turn lights on and off, she just dings

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

They must have caved to the rage of the Internet, because my Alexa is back to saying OK when turning lights off and on again.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

Came home from vacation to find my Echo completely dead. Pushed the reset button underneath and the whole nine yards and she won't do a thing. Out of warranty, too :( what a bummer

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

jabro posted:

Call Amazon. See if they can do anything for you.

They are sending me a new power adapter to see if that fixes it.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

Anyone know of a place to buy repair parts for these? Interested to see if replacing the power board will bring mine back to life.

I did go ahead and order an Echo Dot as we are too tied to our future voice control lifestyle to give it up at this point.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

What is the wake word or command for the nest thermostat? Mine is called Hallway and I can't figure out how to make it work. The skills section in the Alexa app doesn't give an example either

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

Sound core would probably work better than my old Logitech speakers I am using now. Do you just leave it plugged in? My main thing is that I don't want to deal with having to worry about charging something.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

What are the odds of Amazon ever supporting iCloud calendar integration on the Echo? Or is there any kind of workaround for it?

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I think they are debuting the more human sounding voice like Apple did with Siri not long ago. If you say “Alexa, you sound different” she responds and says something about how she is learning- and sounds much more realistic.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

Poetic Justice posted:

Anyone ever asked Alexa “ How do you say cupcake in German?”

Hahaha I just did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

Anyone else seeing a 50% off coupon on the Anker Roav car Alexa thing? It shows up but when I go to my cart it is only 10% off.