Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
the dr who fanbase seems to overlap a lot with supernatural's fanbase and both fanbases seem to overlap with 'being hosed up weirdos with strange and pathetic sexual fetishes'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
ive never understood dr who. its just really lovely poorly written stories that make absolutely no sense

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Neurosis posted:

the dr who fanbase seems to overlap a lot with supernatural's fanbase and both fanbases seem to overlap with 'being hosed up weirdos with strange and pathetic sexual fetishes'

it makes sense tho because supernatural is also a total poo poo tv show

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Do those horny women who write the Sherlock rear end-pregnant beta rape ship stories ever write stories where Dr Who has a dogs dick? And who does he stick it into anyways, since none of the other characters are guys? A robot or something?

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

I like to think that the Dr Who writers are trying to troll the fangirl element of their fan base by making each doctor successively more ugly and/or unlikeable, and it just wasn't working, so they've made this one an angry, unlikeable old loving scotsman previously famous for roles where he was an unlikeable, angry old loving scotsman who swore a lot. Going to guess won't work anyway because Dr Who superfans are fundamentally broken people.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
sherlock would be the other show in the trifecta of lovely shows for unattractive sexual perverts

GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

a hole-y ghost posted:

my favorite character is doctor who

who?

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Dongattack posted:

i swear it just gets worse and worse, clara is boring as gently caress also

if we had dropped moffat on hiroshima in ww2 the earth would have split in two

wow moffat, i hate you :sadwave::sadwave::sadwave::sadwave::sadwave::sadwave::sadwave::sadwave::sadwave::sadwave::sadwave::sadwave::sadwave::sadwave:

Is Moffatt the dude responsible for the masturabtory last season of Sherlock? Because if so I'm not surprised Dr Who sucks.

Used to watch Dr Who when I was a kid, but it's too much effort keeping up with the zillion episodes and constantly changing Doctors. I did watch a few with Alex Kingston, who has apparently not aged since the 1990s, and the ginger with chronic white girl rear end. They were pretty good.

The thing about Dr Who having campily bad sets and silly plots - it's actually a deliberate feature of the show (as well as being something which allows them to make a zillion episodes of it for not very much money). It's a tradition established at the start of the show, in the early 1960s, when literally all you had were a cast of luvvies, cheap plywood props, a soundstage and some badly-painted egg box monsters.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Saga posted:

Is Moffatt the dude responsible for the masturabtory last season of Sherlock? Because if so I'm not surprised Dr Who sucks.

Used to watch Dr Who when I was a kid, but it's too much effort keeping up with the zillion episodes and constantly changing Doctors. I did watch a few with Alex Kingston, who has apparently not aged since the 1990s, and the ginger with chronic white girl rear end. They were pretty good.

The thing about Dr Who having campily bad sets and silly plots - it's actually a deliberate feature of the show (as well as being something which allows them to make a zillion episodes of it for not very much money). It's a tradition established at the start of the show, in the early 1960s, when literally all you had were a cast of luvvies, cheap plywood props, a soundstage and some badly-painted egg box monsters.

yeah its also a tradition for american soap operas to have poo poo production values y'all get big ol boners for general hospital too?

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.
Can't get used to Peter Capaldi in a role where he is not using an expletive for every second word.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

another long held tradition is the honored art of community theatre having lovely bullshit props and actors, just like the hallowed grounds of british television

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

lets give the doctor a special tool, we'll call it a "sonic screwdriver" because-gently caress it! and it's abilities-gently caress it! everything, it can do everything.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Uncle Wemus posted:

im sure the show is fine but the fans are horrible
its a kids show so nerds get started real young, when they hit puberty they start getting boners over the actors and write rape fanfiction about their fav doctor/companion, some of which gets officially published. then at 30 sunk cost fallacy sets in and the fans end up working on the show/audiobooks/extended universe magazines (moffat, capaldi etc) or their own fan projects (that fat guy who made this (proclick) and mccoy homegrown, inspector spacetime)

basically, a whole industry of dumb nerd poo poo. im a nerdologist, i eat this poo poo up

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
should probably make a youtube playlist of the best doctor who youtubes, the tviv threads have a crapload of em

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hu7OiJpnlUs

and they say nothing good ever came from white culture

generative grammer
Jul 28, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
can't imagine a kid's show that both me and my dad would've watched as a child and still keep catching at least the occasional episode

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
i like dr who (the tv show) but i think we can all agree that the audiobooks/radio plays/whatever they are called are embarrassing and terrible

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

my favorite doctor who girl was Rose but that's because I have a thing for strawberry blondes with brown eyebrows what's up with that anyway?

I Pledge The Legence
Sep 18, 2009

Gleaming the Cube
paterson joseph should of been dr who capaldi is just terrible.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Obscuritatem posted:

paterson joseph should of been dr who capaldi is just terrible.

cool gif. you should put it in a goodreads book review

e: also seriously can anyone name a scifi/fantasy tv show whose fanbase is NOT poo poo

Clipperton fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Nov 7, 2014

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
fan = fanatic = someone who does weird poo poo

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

LifeSizePotato posted:

i've never really watched it but some versions of the theme song are extremely good

agreed https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uq32PJHZNYo

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Clipperton posted:

cool gif. you should put it in a goodreads book review

e: also seriously can anyone name a scifi/fantasy tv show whose fanbase is NOT poo poo

Farscape, Lexx. Mainly because when you mention those shows, 99 percent of people will just say "What?"

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

If you like a TV show, and that show has special episodes where the stars show up at a huge auditorium to interact in-character with 8 to 12 year olds and their parents, and maybe do a live skit with the help of a very brave 10 year old who has cancer, thats maybe a sign that this show is something that, while you may privately enjoy it, is not appropriate for a grown adult to base their identity around.

Unless you want to gently caress a shy 11 year old I guess, and even then the more mature and cerebral Star Trek has a much larger adult fanbase for pedophiles to blend in with and, while considered somewhat "mainstream" in North America, ranks above Whovians and Bronys in the prison child molester pecking order.

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL
dr who and eastenders and football

this is why english people drink.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

it's just british star trek

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL

Chamale posted:

it's just british star trek

There is probably a 15 stone nonce forum moderator from Birmingham that goes by the name "DrAaron" out there.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Dr. Paedo

Dalek Dog
Dec 4, 2013
Dr Who is a product of childhood brainwashing, like religion or sprouts, all three damage the mind in terrible ways.

Woof.

Neuroctopus
Oct 28, 2013
I am a straight up legit British person who puts 'u' in words like 'colour' and 'armour' and I can confirm that Dr Who is poorly written, badly acted and just generally lovely.

Tennant was literally the worst thing ever about that show - a bit like Zach Braff in Scrubs, which was also a bad show.

:britain:

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I tried to watch Dr. Who on Netflix after hearing vague buzzing for years about it being a good sci fi show. Didnt even make it through the first episode :cripes:

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

No More Heroes posted:

I tried to watch Dr. Who on Netflix after hearing vague buzzing for years about it being a good sci fi show. Didnt even make it through the first episode :cripes:

same. i got literally like 15 minutes into it before i had to turn it off. :cripes:

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Arcsquad12 posted:

Farscape, Lexx. Mainly because when you mention those shows, 99 percent of people will just say "What?"

no there are loads of really terrible farscape fans. i've never seen lexx, is it the one with tits?

Syd Midnight posted:

Unless you want to gently caress a shy 11 year old I guess, and even then the more mature and cerebral Star Trek has a much larger adult fanbase for pedophiles to blend in with and, while considered somewhat "mainstream" in North America, ranks above Whovians and Bronys in the prison child molester pecking order.

actually when the uk was rounding up all its 70s TV paedos recently i don't think they got a single dr who actor. statistically you would expect at least one doctor to be a nonce but no

also lol @ star trek being 'cerebral and mature'

Clipperton fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Nov 7, 2014

Dalek Dog
Dec 4, 2013

Clipperton posted:

no there are loads of really terrible farscape fans. i've never seen lexx, is it the one with tits?

actually when the uk was rounding up all its 70s TV paedos recently i don't think they got a single dr who actor. statistically you would expect at least one doctor to be a nonce but no

also lol @ star trek being 'cerebral and mature'

That is just a time paradox, they where all time locked or something, hell that Pertwee played a Scarecrow with at least one detachable head so who knows.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Clipperton posted:

That's because Doctor Who is objectively better than most British television despite being so terrible. Yeah, I said it.

shiksa posted:

it makes sense tho because supernatural is also a total poo poo tv show

Yeah but what sets Doctor Who and Supernatural apart is that while the fanbases are utterly utterly awful in the worst ways the people making them seem 110% cognizant that they're ham factories and enjoy the poo poo out of themselves.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

Clipperton posted:

Because time travelers can always pull the "she was 18 when i've met her"-card

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
For some reason I think Pee-Wee Herman would really improve the show

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Dr who is the kind of show my 50 year old dad likes because he grew up watching the originals in the 70s. I find dr who to be a very lame and poorly made show and I don't enjoy it.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

shiksa posted:

yeah its also a tradition for american soap operas to have poo poo production values y'all get big ol boners for general hospital too?

Middle aged women and grandmothers do, because it's about hospitals. Younger people like dr who cause it's about SPACE. Wow what an amazing thing.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
Utopia is a tremendously better show.

Eat it, Dr Who fans.

mind the walrus posted:

That's because Doctor Who is objectively better than most British television despite being so terrible. Yeah, I said it.

This is the truest sentence ever written about British television.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
I'm glad they went back to an older actor with Capaldi. Another handsome younger man would've been way too Hollywood; one of the better things about British TV is the fact that they cast actors who aren't just good looking, so their fictional TV people actually resemble average real swaths of the population.

As for the show itself? Eh, it's pure candy. No one should make it their whole diet and it's not necessarily "good" quality, but kick back every now and then an imbibe in the right amounts...etc etc etc "Whovians" are a zit factory all their own, just like all the other obsessive nerd fandoms.

And anyone who calls Doctor Who science fiction doesn't know their Sci-Fi from their Space Opera. Revoke their nerd creds, or just call 'em poseurs. (Nerds hate that word because it's not a nerd word.)

Uncle Wemus posted:

im sure the show is fine but the fans are horrible

Aren't they always? Once they develop a pet name for themselves and their fandom, all bets are off that there won't be a jabbering mass of vocal annoying nerds nerding out over it in public.

October Revolution posted:

I even have a doctor who tattoo someone kill me

SHOW US YOUR TATS

cynic posted:

because Dr Who superfans are fundamentally broken people.

Seems like all nerd fandoms are magnets for that type, yeah. Non-nerd appeal fandoms, like Sports teams? A little less so, for some reason. I never met a spergy knitter...

Syd Midnight posted:

ever write stories where Dr Who has a dogs dick?

WHAT

• Locked thread