Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

FordPRefectLL posted:

also should we watch torchwood

i was just made to watch all of eureka and i am going through doctor who and i get to pick if we are going to watch warehouse 13 or torchwood and you seem to know about this stuff so give me advice

i liked torchwood for the like first two seasons when they were doing normal sized episodes. when they switched to less, but longer episodes it kinda went to poo poo. torchwood is pretty much the same as doctor who, but "really dark you guys!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
sat down with lasagna for dinner to enjoy last nights episode of doctor who on bbc.com, clara goes "I AM THE DOCTOR", her eyes are in the intro, rewatch The Wire it is, aaah hello McNulty.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

Rambling Robot posted:

There is probably a 15 stone nonce forum moderator from Birmingham that goes by the name "DrAaron" out there.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
watched anyway after finishing The Wire episode i was on. i think this is the one dr who episode i've seen that has killed off the most interesting and promising characters and just left utter shite in its wake. christ, the only way this could get worse if is santa himself entered the tardis as a seasons finale

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dongattack posted:

watched anyway after finishing The Wire episode i was on. i think this is the one dr who episode i've seen that has killed off the most interesting and promising characters and just left utter shite in its wake. christ, the only way this could get worse if is santa himself entered the tardis as a seasons finale
it's perfect

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Dongattack posted:

i think this is the one dr who episode i've seen that has killed off the most interesting and promising characters and just left utter shite in its wake

is this about that nerd girl who has been in two episodes of the show with about two minutes screen time total before she got killed

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Clipperton posted:

is this about that nerd girl who has been in two episodes of the show with about two minutes screen time total before she got killed

cyber-danny, the bombadier or whatever (i didnt watch the grandpa dr. who stuff), the master (probably not, but who knows with moffat)

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
the master ends up dead after every appearance, though?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

quakster posted:

the master ends up dead after every appearance, though?

i havent watched the old stuff as i said, so the master only went into the time-stuff portal as a lightning skeleton ghost from my point of view and went away

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

i stopped watching this show after a few seasons ago a recurring character turned out to be the daughter of the doctor's two companions who also ended up being a time lord like the doctor who grew up as one of the companion's best friends during school just to get close to the doctor or something and then gave away her regenerations to cure the doctor of poison to save his life by kissing him while in nazi germany

i did not make this up

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

ThePutty posted:

i stopped watching this show after a few seasons ago a recurring character turned out to be the daughter of the doctor's two companions who also ended up being a time lord like the doctor who grew up as one of the companion's best friends during school just to get close to the doctor or something and then gave away her regenerations to cure the doctor of poison to save his life by kissing him while in nazi germany

i did not make this up

Yeah that was super lovely but people were falling over themselves to like it

Didn't really see why myself

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Stabbatical posted:

Yeah that was super lovely but people were falling over themselves to like it

Didn't really see why myself

someone once compared liking this show to an abusive relationship. you try your hardest to get through the bad times just so you can have those wonderful moments where the stars align and a quality experience happens

however just like an abusive relationship you realize you can get out of it and have much better relationships with other TV shows that are consistently excellent, except with doctor who you come back drunk to it's doorstep sometimes for a quick gently caress only to wake up ashamed with the realization that it can never really change

Hefty Leftist fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Nov 9, 2014

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

ThePutty posted:

someone once compared liking this show to an abusive relationship. you try your hardest to get through the bad times just so you can have those wonderful moments where the stars align and a quality experience happens

however just like an abusive relationship you realize you can get out of it and have much better relationships with other TV shows that are consistently excellent, except with doctor who you come back drunk to it's doorstep sometimes for a quick gently caress only to wake up ashamed with the realization that it can never really change

I think it's more like supporting the local amateur football club. It's endearing to watch them try, it's funny to watch them mess up, and you hope they do well even though though you've got no real reason to support them and could just go and watch a better squad.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
actually I think people watch it because it's fun and enjoyable like 90% of the time

also the last time someone told me 'you should watch a SERIOUS SHOW' it turned out to be hannibal which lol

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Clipperton posted:

actually I think people watch it because it's fun and enjoyable like 90% of the time

also the last time someone told me 'you should watch a SERIOUS SHOW' it turned out to be hannibal which lol

Yeah that too

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

this guy looks like a pederast

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
i am really hating season 3

like to the point where i might quit watching this show

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

the problem is the show can't ever commit to either being a silly thing for children or a serious thing about a ten thousand year old jaded alien trying not to go mad from loneliness and boredom, both of which would be better than whatever it was the last time i watched it (years ago)

This is a good point.

Clipperton posted:

This is a lie. A bad lie and you should be ashamed for saying it.

ThePutty posted:

Stabbatical posted:

I think it's more like supporting the local amateur football club. It's endearing to watch them try, it's funny to watch them mess up, and you hope they do well even though though you've got no real reason to support them and could just go and watch a better squad.

Both of these are good analogies depending on your expectations of the show. It's far healthier to look at it like Stabbatical though.

Drink Cheerwine posted:

this guy looks like a pederast

All the Doctors look like pederasts, but surprisingly none have been and by all accounts they're pretty good human beings.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Fun Douglas Adams Dr Who drinking story.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g885Io2Dj0M

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

my hero

:allears:

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
i saw a guy that looked exactly like the master (tennant era) at the bus stop today, and he was grinning at me exactly like the master (tennant era). what does it mean?

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

angerbot posted:

wibbly wobbly

timey wimey

Russell Brand, welcome!

Reset_Smith
Apr 9, 2009

It's SQUARE, motherfuck!
My sister-in-law really likes Dr Who because it distracts her kids while she does heroin in the bathroom.

Her rankings
Eccleston > Tennant
Tennant > Smith
Heroin > Everything

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

Reset_Smith posted:

My sister-in-law really likes Dr Who because it distracts her kids while she does heroin in the bathroom.

Her rankings
Eccleston > Tennant
Tennant > Smith
Heroin > Everything

To be fair Heroin is pretty moreish.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Eccelston was a bad casting choice for The Doctor

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp
yeah, he can actually act

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!

ultrabindu posted:

To be fair Heroin is pretty moreish.

It's crack that's moreish. C'mon get it right :colbert:.

Also Doctor Who is that weird live-action kids drama that shows on bbc2 at 5-6pm once a week right?

Is it still going on, how's it not been cancelled?

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
imo, matt smith was the best new doctor and season 5 was the best new season of doctor who--in that it is actually good at points

moffat must've had a stroke or something between season 5 and 6 because it flew off the rails and never came back, unfortunately.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

i think he just ran out of ideas and remade season 5, only it sucked because everyone figured out he was a hack

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

ThePutty posted:

i think he just ran out of ideas and remade season 5, only it sucked because everyone figured out he was a hack

e: I had something about liking certain parts of this show, but it's an irredeemable poo poo show so have the most irredeemable image of this crap ever.

A Winner is Jew fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Nov 11, 2014

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

ThePutty posted:

i did not make this up

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
its poo poo now

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

ThePutty posted:

You have to be a monumental gently caress-up to run out of ideas or constantly rehash old ideas in a show about a guy who can travel through all of time and space.

Moffatt dreamed higher than his abilities in taking over the drat show, he's got no imagination. One time he saw a statue of an angel and had a cool idea and that's it, no more imagination left.

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
i should write Doctor Who. i think i could do a p good job

better than the current sponges anyway

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
At this point why not run a writing competition that doubles as a publicity stunt? Embrace the crowd of nutjobs that are buying all the scarves and plastic sonic screwdrivers, have an entire season based on fanscripts that the community votes upon. After weeding out all the thousands of knot-based male-male shipping scripts, there are bound to be at least a dozen stories that they could put on the air

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
The doctor regenerates into a sexy lady and gets pregnant with a demisexual slitheen absorbaloff hybrid that becomes a dalek which she then marries

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaMb-5w-V0Y

Best of Doctor Who

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan

Sentient Data posted:

At this point why not run a writing competition that doubles as a publicity stunt? Embrace the crowd of nutjobs that are buying all the scarves and plastic sonic screwdrivers, have an entire season based on fanscripts that the community votes upon. After weeding out all the thousands of knot-based male-male shipping scripts, there are bound to be at least a dozen stories that they could put on the air

They did something like this in the 80s I believe. The contest was for school children only though.

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

FordPRefectLL posted:

The doctor regenerates into a sexy lady and gets pregnant with a demisexual slitheen absorbaloff hybrid that becomes a dalek which she then marries

This is fully believable, and is no more ridiculous than things that have already happened and cannot be undone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

The Whole Internet posted:

This is fully believable, and is no more ridiculous than things that have already happened and cannot be undone.

case in point:

• Locked thread