Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

gregday posted:

Holy poo poo, when did Chase add a Request Increase button to their site? I just hit it and got an increase on my card that hasnt had a change in limit in 10 years. I had tried asking customer service for an increase before without it triggering a hard pull but was always told they couldnt do so.

I just did this but an FYI, i have 3 cards with chase and after I got approved for an increase on one card they wouldn't let me go back and bump the other cards so make sure you choose the one you want bumped since i guess this button only works once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Strong Sauce posted:

I just did this but an FYI, i have 3 cards with chase and after I got approved for an increase on one card they wouldn't let me go back and bump the other cards so make sure you choose the one you want bumped since i guess this button only works once.

Chase at least lets you reallocate at any time.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Anyone tried the venmo card? says 3% on first cat, 2% on 2nd category, 1% on everything else. no fee for the card . only negative is they're promoting turning cash back into crypto.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Capital One is acquiring Discover.

https://ir-capitalone.gcs-web.com/news-releases/news-release-details/capital-one-acquire-discover

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
I am thinking of applying for the Chase Freedom Unlimited card (740 credit score, 1 credit card and 5 year old student loans with perfect payment history and nothing else). My first credit card is only 14 months old, is that too soon to apply for a second? and any reason why they wouldn't accept my application?
Edit: made a typo, I have student loans that are about 5 years old.

DildenAnders fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Feb 29, 2024

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

DildenAnders posted:

I am thinking of applying for the Chase Freedom Unlimited card (740 credit score, 1 credit card and no student loans with perfect payment history). My first credit card is only 14 months old, is that too soon to apply for a second? and any reason why they wouldn't accept my application?

Chase is somewhat sensitive to short credit histories, but having had another card for 12+ months should be enough for them. No concern about "too soon" with that gap. I'd just go for it.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

How updated is the OP these days? I got a junk mail advert for some Discover card and it got me thinking about getting a second/more efficient card.

For reference, the only card I have is an REI branded Capitol One card I got eons ago when I regular shopped at REI. (Then I moved for grad school, stopped shopping there, and racked up a lot of expired store credit. Oh well.) I paid everything off every month and have no debt, so I figure I'm in good shape for whatever

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

How updated is the OP these days? I got a junk mail advert for some Discover card and it got me thinking about getting a second/more efficient card.

For reference, the only card I have is an REI branded Capitol One card I got eons ago when I regular shopped at REI. (Then I moved for grad school, stopped shopping there, and racked up a lot of expired store credit. Oh well.) I paid everything off every month and have no debt, so I figure I'm in good shape for whatever

Easiest thing to do with no annual fee is to get a Citi Double Cash for 2% cashback on everything and either a Discover IT or Chase Freedom Flex for 5% categories. Just use the 5% card if it is a category item and use the Double cash for everything else.

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye

VorpalBunny posted:

Just downgrade to a no-fee card when the annual fee hits again (unless you are within a 30-day window from the most recent annual fee charge).

We are a boring suburban family of 6, 2 adults and 4 small kids. We used to travel more when the kids were little but life has slowed down and we take maybe one big trip a year. We keep the CSR for the $300 travel credit and the rental car & travel coverage for when we do travel, among other benefits. It's our only big-fee card. Everything else is $95 or below, mainly hotel cards for the annual free nights. We also have the Blue Cash Preferred (as well as the vanilla no-fee Blue Cash) which we use for gas and groceries. My local discount store doesn't take AMEX, so we have a Custom Cash for 5% back there which we use for supplemental grocery shopping.

The beauty of the Blue Cash Preferred is the kickback for the Disney+, plus the bonus for streaming services. We have every streaming service on there, except for our regular cable bill which doesn't trigger the bonus. So we opened a Cash+ card from US Bank and chose the category to make cable 5% back and just have it auto charge there. That's a no-fee card as well.

We don't do much point managing, but these basic no & low fee cards have created a little engine for us to get some rewards here and there. I always keep an eye out for interesting new cards, or increased sign-up bonuses, when we have a big bill on the horizon. Through Doctor of Credit, I discovered my own credit union had a card with a huge sign-up bonus that I never saw advertised. I used it to cover a large purchase, and it was just free money in my account after I paid the bill.

Your spending habits appear similar to mine. Have you ever considered changing from the CSR to the Capital Ventures X card (or whatever it's called)?

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
The OP is up to date with recommendations for popular common use credit cards, I don't keep it up to date with current best sign up bonuses. Those change too fast and there are better places (doctorofcredit) for that.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

THF13 posted:

The OP is up to date with recommendations for popular common use credit cards, I don't keep it up to date with current best sign up bonuses. Those change too fast and there are better places (doctorofcredit) for that.
Good summary. The link to the original Chase Freedom card is dead, I'm recommend swapping it to the Chase Freedom Flex, which is a straight upgrade of the basic Freedom card. It keeps the same 5% rotating quarterly categories but also adds on 5% bonus through their travel portal, and 3% on restaurants and drug stores. Looking at the Chase credit card page I don't even see the original Freedom card listed currently, so maybe the original Freedom has been flat out replaced by the Freedom Flex.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Might want to update in big words the date you last updated it, even though nobody will read it.

Doctor of Credit generally stays up to date with all the latest bonuses, so you could just link that: https://www.doctorofcredit.com

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I suppose you did link it, and I definitely didn't read it lmao.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

Subvisual Haze posted:

Good summary. The link to the original Chase Freedom card is dead, I'm recommend swapping it to the Chase Freedom Flex, which is a straight upgrade of the basic Freedom card. It keeps the same 5% rotating quarterly categories but also adds on 5% bonus through their travel portal, and 3% on restaurants and drug stores. Looking at the Chase credit card page I don't even see the original Freedom card listed currently, so maybe the original Freedom has been flat out replaced by the Freedom Flex.

Edited the Freedom to the Freedom Flex with a note on the extra persistent categories, thanks.
I also added the BoA Unlimited Cash Rewards as an alternative to their travel card.
I think I will remove the regular Amazon store card soon, it's still fine if you have it, but as far as I know there isn't any advantage to it over the Amazon Rewards Visa, which sometimes has extra bonus deals/offers.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
For the Fidelity 2% I'd mention it now has 0% foreign transaction fee too. Pretty sweet addition IMO.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

My financial picture is very unusual in that I have a terrific credit score from having paid off one card every month for over a decade, and plenty enough assets to cover the debt I have (which is just a large mortgage) but due to a career change a much lower income relative to that debt. I went to apply for another card with better rewards but was rejected because of a high debt-to-income ratio. Are there other cards I can apply for that take into account my assets as well?

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
Any suggestions for decent signup bonuses at the moment? Can't seem to see anything interesting for Chase with only 60k for the Sapphire Preferred. Sitting on a CSR and a few of the various freedom cards at the moment, plus Citi Premier. Debating figuring out the repeat sign up bonus rules for the BoA Alaska card or maybe the World of Hyatt card, as it's been years since I signed up for them, but was hoping to hold out for a decent CSP or CSR bonus since my last one was when they launched the CSR and 5/24 and all.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Definitely get the Hyatt, especially if you have chase points since they are the best transfer partners. They've become my preferred hotel, the problem is there often is no Hyatt in the places I want to go to.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Nur_Neerg posted:

Any suggestions for decent signup bonuses at the moment? Can't seem to see anything interesting for Chase with only 60k for the Sapphire Preferred. Sitting on a CSR and a few of the various freedom cards at the moment, plus Citi Premier. Debating figuring out the repeat sign up bonus rules for the BoA Alaska card or maybe the World of Hyatt card, as it's been years since I signed up for them, but was hoping to hold out for a decent CSP or CSR bonus since my last one was when they launched the CSR and 5/24 and all.
I believe you cant simultaneously have both the CSR and CSP, so most people recommend downgrade to Freedom Flex/Unlimited, wait a week, then apply for your new CSP/CSR to get the SUB. Also the 48 month wait is apparently from when you get the SUB, not when you open the card.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Whats the run down on the Hyatt card? I just picked up the Chase Marriott card for the 5 bonus nights but thats my first dabble into travel rewards so Im pretty ignorant right now.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians

Josh Lyman posted:

I believe you cant simultaneously have both the CSR and CSP, so most people recommend downgrade to Freedom Flex/Unlimited, wait a week, then apply for your new CSP/CSR to get the SUB. Also the 48 month wait is apparently from when you get the SUB, not when you open the card.

Yeah I'm totally good on all that, just not willing to product change for just a 60k sign up bonus; 80-100k and I'd go for it in a second.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Nur_Neerg posted:

Any suggestions for decent signup bonuses at the moment?

The reddit churning chart was just updated and is a good, if a bit opinionated resource: https://m16p-churning.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/Card+Recommendation+Flowchart+Latest.html

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Q2 (April-June) rotating 5% categories announced:

Chase Freedom (Flex): Amazon, Hotels, Restaurants.
Discover IT: Gas Stations, EV charging, Home Improvement Stores, Public Transit

Interesting question whether Chase Freedom Flex will offer even higher combo bonuses. Since it has a baseline 3% for restaurants, it will hopefully offer 7% cashback total at restaurants next quarter (1% baseline plus the two modifiers). Similarly I wonder if hotels booked through the Chase travel portal (5% typically) will become 9% cashback.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Subvisual Haze posted:

Q2 (April-June) rotating 5% categories announced:

Chase Freedom (Flex): Amazon, Hotels, Restaurants.
Discover IT: Gas Stations, EV charging, Home Improvement Stores, Public Transit

Interesting question whether Chase Freedom Flex will offer even higher combo bonuses. Since it has a baseline 3% for restaurants, it will hopefully offer 7% cashback total at restaurants next quarter (1% baseline plus the two modifiers). Similarly I wonder if hotels booked through the Chase travel portal (5% typically) will become 9% cashback.

I believe it is just 5% for the Freedom Flex. It gets 3% back on drug store purchases and when they had drug store as a 5% category it was just an extra 2%.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

Loan Dusty Road posted:

Whats the run down on the Hyatt card? I just picked up the Chase Marriott card for the 5 bonus nights but thats my first dabble into travel rewards so Im pretty ignorant right now.

Hyatt points are the most valuable of all the hotel chains. You can also get a second free night if you spend $15,000 a year on the card.

Personally I find hotel credit cards to be the most valuable for travel. Airline mile prices are so inflated now that it seems like just as you get enough they devalue them yet again, but the Hyatt/IHG/Marriott/Hilton cards give you a free night which is guaranteed to be useful if you do any kind of traveling, and some nice perks for those hotels. The high-end Hilton and Marriott cards include things like lounge access which will have food and drinks, so you can save even more by not having to eat out.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

Might want to update in big words the date you last updated it, even though nobody will read it.

Honestly this would be useful, I came to the thread, saw the first page was from 2014, and assumed the OP was out of date. I just got lucky that this exact thing was being discussed on the most recent page, lol

Strong Sauce posted:

Anyone tried the venmo card? says 3% on first cat, 2% on 2nd category, 1% on everything else. no fee for the card . only negative is they're promoting turning cash back into crypto.

I came here to ask exactly this, I have a couple of cards that go above 2% but on fixed categories, so it'd be nice to have a card dedicated to, like, groceries and get a little more back on it. I thought about the Chase Freedom Flex but looking at the rotating categories there's frequently only one that I ever really use, and not much at that.

MockingQuantum fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 21, 2024

Atahualpa
Aug 18, 2015

A lucky bird.

MockingQuantum posted:

Honestly this would be useful, I came to the thread, saw the first page was from 2014, and assumed the OP was out of date. I just got lucky that this exact thing was being discussed on the most recent page, lol

I came here to ask exactly this, I have a couple of cards that go above 2% but on fixed categories, so it'd be nice to have a card dedicated to, like, groceries and get a little more back on it. I thought about the Chase Freedom Flex but looking at the rotating categories there's frequently only one that I ever really use, and not much at that.

Yeah, I'm not really big on rotating category cards unless you get a good sign-up bonus or happen to have a big purchase coming up in the category for the quarter when you apply. There's something to be said for the (relative) simplicity of having dedicated cards for different spend categories, especially if you leave the ones that are only used for recurring expenses/online purchases in a drawer. I also label the ones I keep in my wallet so I don't ever have to go "Wait, which one gives me the best cashback for this kind of purchase again?"

I know you weren't exactly asking, but you can get decent % cashback cards to cover a number of dedicated categories. For example, right now I use...

-Citi Custom Cash for 5% back on groceries. Up to 5.55% if you also have the Citi Rewards Plus, depending on how you redeem it.
-USBank Cash+ for 5% back on utilities/Internet and streaming services. Also has some useful categories you can select from quarterly if you know you have upcoming purchases, like electronics, furniture, and department stores.
-USBank Altitude Go for 4% back on restaurants. Also has a $15 bonus if you subscribe to a streaming service for a full year, which can easily be 10+% cashback depending on the service you use it for.
-Chase Amazon Prime for 5% back on Amazon purchases.
-Bank of America Customized Cash for 3% back on all other online purchases.
-USAA Cashback Plus for 5% back on gas. Think you need to be or have family that are current/former military or already have a USAA account for this one, but IIRC there are a number of other options for 3-5% cashback on gas. (One that sites like nerdwallet often overlook in their "best cards for X" articles is the PenFed Platinum Rewards, which also gives 5%.)

Worth mentioning that the USBank, Bank of America, and USAA all have stupid restrictions on redeeming your cashback, and Bank of America doesn't seem to have any way to set up autopay unless you bank with them. Much happier with Citi and Chase for their cashback options, although Chase recently switched to requiring you to manually enter the routing/account number each time if redeeming cashback to a bank account, which is a bit annoying.

Another popular option for groceries is the American Express Blue Cash Preferred, which is 6% back on groceries and streaming services. Keep in mind that it's also got a $95 annual fee after the first year, which effectively makes it more like 4.42% if you're using it as as a dedicated grocery card and spending exactly the max that qualifies for cashback on groceries each year, $6000. The lower or higher you go from $6000, the less the effective cashback is. The $250 sign-up bonus also should be taken into account, since it offsets 2-3 years of annual fees.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

I do have a BoA checking account, but my BoA autopay is setup to pull from my Alliant checking account, so it should be possible to setup autopay without banking with them.

I remember it being a huge pain in the butt, and their site is bad enough I had to search for instructions on how to even verify how my autopay is setup/managed. I also think but am not certain that you can't setup autopay right away, might need to wait for a billing cycle to go through first?

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

You can setup the BoA ones with auto pay..... It is just incredibly difficult to find and do. No idea why it's so difficult, I just assume they want you forgetting to pay it or something.

GlobalMegaCorp
Jan 8, 2004

I decided to churn the Amex Plat since I had a 150k offer and am doing a kitchen remodel and have a large spend for the appliances. I doubt I keep it, but its already been very handy.

Clear got me straight through the airport in under 5 minutes when TSA PRE still had a 35-40 minute wait, and the hotel I booked through the FHR site was the same as booking direct and included $220 in good comps plus early and late check out.

If they tweaked a couple of the other fringe benefits it would probably be a no brainer to keep. The $100 at Saks 5th is just kind of odd. The streaming benefit is also a dud for me since it doesnt include Netflix and I already get all the Hulu stuff comped through my cell carrier

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009

Atahualpa posted:

(One that sites like nerdwallet often overlook in their "best cards for X" articles is the PenFed Platinum Rewards, which also gives 5%.)

This is my gas card, I was an NRA 5% cardholder and then PenFed attained us as clients when First National Bank of Omaha wanted to disassociate from the NRA.

It's not a 5 percent card, it's a 5x points card redeemable on a gift card market. There is no cash deposit or statement credit option, so you need to further devalue the opportunity cost.

11,760 Points will get you a $100 eVisa Gift Card.

100/117.60 = 0.8503
0.8503 * 5 = 4.2515

Assuming your default card nets 2%.

4.2515 / 1.02 = 4.1581
or (my brain is too fried after this work week to think about which of these methods is accurate, right now)
4.2515 * 0.98 = 4.1665

If you're like me and just add the balance to Amazon

4.2515 / 1.05 = 4.0142
or
4.2515 * 0.95 = 4.039

The 3% from BofA online would be near the middle here.

For me it is essentially a 4% gas card.

Girbot fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Mar 23, 2024

Atahualpa
Aug 18, 2015

A lucky bird.

THF13 posted:

I do have a BoA checking account, but my BoA autopay is setup to pull from my Alliant checking account, so it should be possible to setup autopay without banking with them.

I remember it being a huge pain in the butt, and their site is bad enough I had to search for instructions on how to even verify how my autopay is setup/managed. I also think but am not certain that you can't setup autopay right away, might need to wait for a billing cycle to go through first?

Rakeris posted:

You can setup the BoA ones with auto pay..... It is just incredibly difficult to find and do. No idea why it's so difficult, I just assume they want you forgetting to pay it or something.

All I know is that I spent way too long trying to set it up a while back, and when I wasn't able to find it on my own, the tutorials I found online referred to a link that didn't show up on the page it was supposed to be on. Switching browsers/turning off adblock didn't help. I'd had the card for years at that point, so I don't think that was the issue. I called BoA's customer service about it at the time, but they weren't able to help either.

I'm wondering if they changed it at some point to make it impossible instead of just difficult, but people who already had it set up were able to keep it? But, of course, it could be that they moved the option somewhere else on the site, and the tutorials were just outdated.

Girbot posted:

This is my gas card, I was an NRA 5% cardholder and then PenFed attained us as clients when First National Bank of Omaha wanted to disassociate from the NRA.

It's not a 5 percent card, it's a 5x points card redeemable on a gift card market. There is no cash deposit or statement credit option, so you need to further devalue the opportunity cost.

11,760 Points will get you a $100 eVisa Gift Card.

100/117.60 = 0.8503
0.8503 * 5 = 4.2515

Assuming your default card nets 2%.

4.2515 / 1.02 = 4.1581
or (my brain is too fried after this work week to think about which of these methods is accurate, right now)
4.2515 * 0.98 = 4.1665

If you're like me and just add the balance to Amazon

4.2515 / 1.05 = 4.0142
or
4.2515 * 0.95 = 4.039

The 3% from BofA online would be near the middle here.

For me it is essentially a 4% gas card.

Thanks for the info, I didn't realize that! I don't have the card myself since I already had the USAA card.

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009

Rakeris posted:

This is 100% the reason and if they were based in a country with any degree of consumer protection they'd be sued into the 21st century. Money lending financial institutions seemingly spend NOTHING on updating and maintaining their online/mobile banking services, it's not just BofA, but they are among the worst.

You have to setup eBills first which requires calling in.

Girbot fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Mar 23, 2024

Atahualpa
Aug 18, 2015

A lucky bird.
Yeah, that's what I did when I couldn't find any way to set it up since it says to contact customer service on the bill pay screen (edit: for setting up eBills), and they told me they couldn't help, I had to do it through the site. :confused: Maybe I just got someone who had no idea what they were talking about.

Atahualpa fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Mar 23, 2024

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

I just did it a few months ago (two I think it was), after manually paying it for a while after attempting to set up autopay up several times and giving up each time lol ...

Wish I could tell you how I did it, but contacting customer service didn't help, I just happened to run across the autopay setup screen when randomly going through links on the website for what felt like hours. (Probably was if you count the separate occasions I tried to do it)

I'll see if I can get back to it easier since I have it setup and might be able to share the link. (Definitely not going to make any promises on that)

edit: I dunno if this will work for setting up a new autopay, but this is where the manage auto pay link takes me now. https://billpay-ui.bankofamerica.com/imm/PaymentCenter/Index/8404

Rakeris fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Mar 26, 2024

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Figures that after I jumped through the hoops to get a BofA UCR card with platinum preferred rewards status to get 2.6% cashback on everything, Robinhood decides to roll out a 3% on everything card.

https://newsroom.aboutrobinhood.com/the-new-gold-standard-introducing-the-robinhood-gold-card/

quote:

The Robinhood Gold Card is the only credit card youll need, and its exclusively for Robinhood Gold members1. The Robinhood Gold Card has no annual fee1, no foreign transaction fees, and offers you an unrivaled 3% cash back on all categories2. You will also earn even more on travel, getting 5% cash back when you book through the all-new Robinhood travel portal. Your reward points are then redeemable for travel, giftcards, and shopping at major retailers such as Apple, Nike, Bloomingdales, and more. Points can also be redeemed as cash, which can then be instantly transferred to your Robinhood brokerage account to invest, earn interest4, or withdraw.
They're obviously playing a little loose with "no annual fee", as the card requires Robinhood Gold, which is $5/month. Still though Robinhood Gold does have other interesting perks.

I do have RH Gold for the 3% IRA match. I probably won't sign up for this card quite yet, maybe if they add some sort of signup offer.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
Technically a monthly fee is not an annual fee

Also, lol:

rh posted:

if you refer 10 friends who sign up to Robinhood Gold, youll earn the solid gold Robinhood Gold Card weighing 36g and made from real 10 karat gold

Jokes aside, this has to be a money loser for them right? Loss leader to bring in new customers to gamble on options or crypto or something?

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

They'll most certainly be selling your spending data, for whatever that's worth to them. That money plus the $60 annual fee and whatever exorbitant APR they charge people who maintain a balance might be enough to keep it afloat.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

"Robinhood travel portal" how'd they pitch that one, is it supposed to generate $1 trillion in ad sales or what's the unrealistic value pull there lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
$6k to get into the green vs a fee free 2% card.

That's going to be worth it to a lot of people who only want to carry a single card, but I'd have to look if I reach that on my Fidelity card since most of my spend hits a categorized 4%+ card.