Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

so 2% cb question

i have

chase sapphire preferred
chase freedom
chase amazon

i got the amazon one back in july so i could get money back for all the dumb stuff i buy on there (and for groceries)... so since the 6 month time frame that people recommend waiting between credit cards is coming up i'm looking for a 2% cb card.

i have accounts at fidelity and paypal, and assuming i pay off my card in full every month the 2% citibank card, 2% fidelity, 2% paypal all seem to be relatively the same... there is the alliant one at 2.5% but that requires an account with them and also gives you cashback after you accumulate $25 (someone who knows: is it if it's just redeemed only above $25 or if it does $25 increments which would "leave" some money on the table if i ever cancel the card or stop using it).

so barring the basic restrictions... are those cards all the same in the end if i pay off all the cards? since all my cards are visas should i care about getting a mastercard or is there no difference? just want to make sure there isn't anything i'm not accounting for...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Unsinkabear posted:

I always recommend the PenFed Power Cash if you don't mind leaving $500 in an account with them to get the 2% rate, because they seem to be a decent CU and it's the only card I know of that can be set to automatically redeem your monthly cash back into any account of your choosing without any minimum or input from you at all.

If you have a Fidelity account and don't mind being restricted to only depositing your cash back there, that one is similarly hands off.

Do not under any circumstances get one of Alliant's cards. They're points-based instead of pure cash back so you have no guarantee of your rewards' value long term. Alliant has already tried slashing the value of all points by half (existing balances included, effective immediately, and with zero warning), and only reluctantly rolled it back when people started leaving in droves and taking their cash balances with them. You should usually avoid "cash back" cards that reward points instead of statement credit or legit cash for this reason (I make an exception for Chase because UR points are very desirable and have not changed value in eons), but that is doubly true of Alliant's. Imo that was a very telling decision for a credit union that's technically owned by the customers and supposed to act in their interests when it comes to products offered. They've shown they don't give a single gently caress and there's absolutely nothing to stop them from trying that again in the future

hmm thanks for the tip on alliant.

were you able to sign up and apply for the cc at the same time so they'd only pull your credit once? i also don't see the $500 requirement anywhere, it just says i have to maintain a checking account with them.

also it looks like its capped to $2500 per month for 2% back. so most of these cards are capped around $2-$2.5K sans the fidelity one? that kinda makes fidelity look more attractive to me especially since i could probably move the money back into my bank account... right?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

saintonan posted:

It'll put it in your Fidelity cash management account, and from there you can ACH it wherever you like.
cool, thanks. good to know.

Unsinkabear posted:

Leaving $500 in the checking account makes it fee-free, sorry I wasn't more clear on that part. The cap is news to me and a bit disappointing, but I'm usually not hitting $2500/mo (that's $30,000/year) on my general 2% card anyway. I would double-check to make sure you actually will before eliminating anything on that basis.

The Fidelity one is a solid option if you'd rather go that way, though.

i have very fine tastes... in lotion.

saintonan posted:

One other plus on the Fidelity card is that Elan occasionally emails me specials on the card. I'm currently on two of them: one gives me an extra 2% on movies and streaming services (up to $500 spend), and another 2% (again up to $500 spend) on restaurants and food delivery. That makes those effectively 4% in those categories for November and December, since I'm unlikely to cap either one of those. They also periodically send offers for uncapped 1% bonuses once you reach some unreasonably high spend level (mine was $2700 in two months). Those are less attractive unless you have some large spend lined up anyway, but the plus is that if you do hit that spend, you effectively have a 3% card for the remainder of the promotion.

yeah i think given the fact i already have a fidelity account i'll probably go with them.. if there's no restrictions on the 2% that's easier for me. some months i won't spend much but others it'll go over $2K easily.

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Dec 1, 2021

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

So I realized my last credit card was in July, and technically not even 5 months yet since I've got the card. How bad of a hit does this take to my credit score? I have good credit but I'm also planning to search for housing within the year.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

ScooterMcTiny posted:

That’s what I was going to say. You were messaging them via apple business chat which is their secure support line in iMessage. No way for that to be phished or impersonated.

i mean the news lately was the NSO group being able to exfiltrate data from your phone just by sending you an imessage, which pretended to be an animated gif but was actually a specially crafted PDF that exploited old PDF code to generate it's own virtual operating system inside the iphone so it could read, manipulate and transmit your private data.. so i wouldn't say, "no way" but more like, "are you important enough for them to use resources to create something like that?"

but uhh yea i think i'd go with, it's probably legit.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Shroomie posted:

Inquiries affect your FICO for 12 months but they're usually negligible long before then. How much it lowered your average age of accounts could be of some concern, but that's going to depend on the rest of your credit profile.

A 6+ month old card probably isn't going to hurt your mortgage prospects much. Just make sure you've got single digit utilization percentage across the board when you go house shopping.

my usage rate on my most often used card is about 16% according to my previous month's balance divided by the credit limit on the card. I have another card that is basically getting 1% usage. they're both on chase, and i believe chase will let me move my credit limits around and so i'm planning on moving more credit to this more often used card to lower the usage rate. if i do this now to get my usage rate to <10%, would that be sufficient time you think? i'm planning on getting the new 2% card in a couple of days so it'd be at least 5 whole months since my last credit card.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

astral posted:

Citi's Double Cash is changing a bit on March 28 (earning ThankYou points instead of dollars, removing the $25 minimum):

https://online.citi.com/US/JRS/portal/template.do?ID=double-cash

At least you can easily redeem ThankYou points for a penny each these days, or transfer them to potentially get more value than that.

the link astral provided went down. did they change their mind?

heres the google cache copy: [url]https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:sbRLOvLqCbQJ:https://online.citi.com/US/JRS/portal/template.do%3FID%3Ddouble-cash+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us[/url]

does anyone know the reasoning for this change? is it to stay competitive or are they taking away something while presenting it as a customer benefit? from what i recall chase has not changed their reward points in a while if they ever have.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

yeah that worked.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Going back to yesterday, people who have a CitiBank 2%. Is switching to Thank You Points a bad sign? good sign? I don't know the history of TYP and whether or not CitiBank dilutes their value. I may just end up with the 2% from Fidelity but wondering if the CitiBank one would be better if they went with TYP.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Unsinkabear posted:

Citi does not have a great reputation in general, what goodwill they do have was almost entirely due to a price rollback feature they have now removed. There are a lot of players in the 2% game now, but if for some reason your only two options are Citi or Fidelity, I would pick Fidelity in a heartbeat and never look back.

I posted earlier about it in the thread last year (looking back you also replied back about the ones I was looking at) but basically I have a Fidelity account and they at least give you the cash equivalent into the account without much hassle. All the other 2% cards seem to do 1% + 1% when you pay or some other method. I think Citi2% had a CB cap so if Citi Rewards offered discounts off their TYP and had a higher that may have been worth it to me but if they also dilute their points a lot then that's probably not a card I'd want.

saintonan posted:

If you have a Citi Rewards Plus, it's a slight benefit, since you get a 10% bonus on the first 100,000 TY points per year you cash out with that card. If you don't have Rewards+, it's at best a wash, with the potential for a devaluation loss.

OK yeah I have no accounts with Citi so I'm gonna keep with my plan to signup for the Fidelity card soon.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Applied for the Fidelity card ~3 days ago on Tuesday night and no word at all from Fidelity or Elan since then. I wouldn't even know if it went through if I didn't get an email from Credit Karma saying my Credit was checked... Honestly confused about what's going on. Did I get Approved? Denied? I've only applied to like 2 cards in the last ~5-6 years and I've always been approved. Just TELL MEEEEEEE

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

i'm in a weird limbo right now where fidelity wanted me to send in more info to verify that i am who i say i am but i was a bit late in sending that info (via fax!) but now i'm trying to figure out if they're even processing it anymore and whether or not i should just reapply for the card or if i should just apply for another 2% CB card... no real question but just wanting to get 2% on my purchases...

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

i called and they said i took too long and should reapply. i reapplied and immediately got the card :shrug:

btw, if you put 2 million into the money management account they'll up your cash back to 3%. lol..

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

i'm a bit confused. so you have 2 0% down promos and the part of the payment that was deferred they were not bothering to pay down so you'd owe them way more once the promo ended? the one highlighted started in april so the bill came after 8/19 right? which would mean they should have started to pay down that part of your account first? am i getting that right?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

pseudanonymous posted:

It's also a decent card on groceries, restaurants and most travel @3%, not a 5% but if you don't want to get that granular.

Also you can get it, then when the second AF posts, you ask for a product change to a custom cash, this is a way to get a 2nd custom cash.

why do i have CSR if this thing gonna give me 3% on travel/restaurants too.. :|

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Small White Dragon posted:

CSR gives you a 50% redemption bonus if you redeem for travel (cash price) or use "pay yourself back". Citi Premier does not do this.

If you transfer to partners, then the CSP or Premier can be just as good, provided you like the partners.

(Although be aware the travel protections on the Premier were gutted, whereas the CSP/CSR ones are pretty good.)
I've only really traveled once since the beginning of the pandemic so this is nice to know if I ever actually get to travel again (for vacation) in the future

SamDabbers posted:

The Alliant Visa Signature has no foreign transaction fees either and is 2.5% if you maintain a checking account with them, keep $1000 in it, and make at least one deposit each month. Doesn't have to be direct deposit either, ACH transfers count.

Do you know if this applies to their HYSA as well? or it has to be a checking account?

Also dang it I didn't know about this card either. Been using the Fidelity card at 2% :|

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

pseudanonymous posted:

You have to keep 1k in checking. You could keep excess funds in the HYSA. The 2.5% card is a bit rare, and I don't think they pay advertisers for referrals so it's hard to find out about on credit card sites and the like, looking for it on say Nerdwallet you have to know it exists and search for it specifically.

They do keep tweaking the card, so the 2.5% may not last forever, but I really like Alliant, they did an Avocado Toast and Latte Debit card promotion and I got a free gift card with a latte and avocado toast on it, which, I really just loved.

Thanks.
It looks like its 2.5% up to 10K and starting Oct 1st they'll be checking that you have >$1000 every month vs every quarter. Still seems pretty good.

https://ww2.alliantcreditunion.org/visa-signature-rewards

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

so i'm about to put some money into allied both to grab the 2.5% card and also put some money into their HYSA... but apparently they were hacked/breached back in august where people's debit cards, something they had never used, suddenly incurred thousands of charges from random sources. and last year apparently they "accidentally" gave some personal info to their partners, didn't report it for 2 months, and then eventually won out in a lawsuit because the judge ruled no one was financially affected by it.

it sounds all pretty routine (unfortunately) but i'm guessing this shouldn't put me off to joining.. or should it?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

one of my cards apparently brought down my score by 50 points because i had spent more than normal. mind you i wasn't being dinged for not paying it, i was being dinged for spending "more than usual" on this card. i calculated the percentage and i had used 15.5% of my credit limit...

but yeah once i "paid" it off, it immediately restored my credit score. took about 4 days for the score to be updated. pretty sure it was transunion. no other credit was dinged.

this poo poo is so dumb.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Space Fish posted:

I have fallen for a gift card scam at my local WalMart. I used a Chase Freedom Flex to buy a gift card for a friend in need to help with their groceries. When they went to spend it, they were told the card had a $0 balance and was already spent in another state. The friend scratched off the PIN label, so there's no visual evidence left of if/how it was replaced. The scammer would have recorded the barcode and PIN in advance and tested the numbers each day online to see if any money landed in the account.

I have the gift card and my receipt showing I purchased and activated the card roughly a week ago. Is there any chance of:
1) WalMart spotting me a new gift card or refunding me? (haha no)
2) Chase letting me reverse the charge?

Either way, be cautious about physical gift cards, y'all.
i'm still trying to figure out how they do this since all the explanations online don't make much sense (scammers print their own barcodes and placed them on the card.. scammers buy the card and return it ???)

be prepared to wait a long time assuming they give you a refund. i would show provide the receipt and also the fact that it was spent in another state.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

still curious where the point of attack is for this fraud... someone said they scratch it off and reapply the silvery scratch off thing... is that even possible? is there card info is already available without opening the card? maybe i haven't seen a gift card in a long time

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Space Fish posted:

The gift cards are not sealed in any way except for the sticker covering the end of the barcode and the PIN.
The crook scratches off that sticker to record both numbers and replaces it with their own sticker. This is very possible.
The crook then checks the gift card balance every so often on WalMart's website and spends it as soon as someone naively loads it up.
WalMart does nothing about this because they put all the liability on the customer. I guess too few people use credit card companies to claw back the charges for WalMart to do anything about it.
The guy I warned in person about this scam said his store keeps certain gift cards behind the counter because they tend to get targeted this way.

ah okay so its a sticker. makes more sense.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

CSR gives you lyft pink and doordash. my lyft pink had expired for a while (before CSR decided to renew it as a benefit for people longer than a year) and i don't recall being charged for it and i never canceled it. i never renewed my doordash either.

if you cancel CSR.. how would doordash even know where to charge? you've canceled the card associated with the benefit.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

surf rock posted:

Five years ago, I got a Chase Sapphire Reserve card. I've never actually used the points on it, and I now have 310,000. I was planning for a long time to book a first-class ANA ticket to Tokyo for 120,000 points, but then COVID happened and by the time I looked into flights for my planned trip from September 17-30, those were all gone. However, they do still have economy tickets available with awards purchases. Based on the award chart I saw, I think that would cost 65,000 points.

I guess I'm looking for a sanity check on the process to use these points. I think I understand it and it's this:

1.) Using the United website, find the specific ANA flights I want to book that have awards-eligible seats still available
2.) Create a Virgin Atlantic account
3.) Call Virgin Atlantic and ask them to place a hold on those ANA flight seats, get a reservation #
4.) Log in to the Chase Ultimate Rewards website, click "Transfer to Travel Partners," and transfer the 65,000 points to my new Virgin Atlantic account
5.) Wait for the points transfer to be completed
6.) Call Virgin Atlantic back with my reservation # and pay the points for the ANA flight

Am I missing anything there? Thank you!

Why are you going through all these steps?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

If you have an Amazon/Chase card you may be eligible to get double points.

https://www.chase.com/mybonus

Amazon via Chase offers Select Amazon Rewards Visa Signature Cardholders: Earn Double Rewards on Everyday Purchases made between May 1 and July 31, 2023 for up to a maximum of $1,000 in purchases. You must fill out the short form that is linked and "activate" the offer.

4% at Gas Stations, Restaurants, and on Local Transit and Commuting (including rideshare)
2% back on all other purchases
You will continue to earn unlimited 5% back at Amazon.com, Whole Foods Market, and on Chase Travel purchases with an eligible Prime membership

It's Amazon Points and not Chase Points so keep that in mind.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

I have a 2% Cash Back card but I'm looking to see if I can get another card that offers more cash back. I'm currently spending a relatively decent amount on a hobby, that looking from one of the stores I've bought from categorizes itself under "Shopping".. I know some cards offer 5% on your top spend category but does "Shopping" count as type of spend category? I'm guessing this counts for "Online Shopping" cash back deals as well?

I'm currently looking also for a Grocery card.. I don't have a car and often don't need a Gas card but that would be preferable to have if it offered greater than 2%

The best I've found for me seems to be Amex Blue Cash Everyday Card. It is $0 fee, 3% US Supermarkets, 3% US Gas stations (both up to $6k) and 3% back on online retail purchases up to $6K + $200 credit for >$2000 spend. If "Online Retail Purchases" means any type of buying from stores online I think it should match my needs, right?

The only downside apparently is that your cash back is just statement credits... that seems fine.. should I be aware of some big downside if they just credit on my card spend?

The other one that I thought offered 5% cashback was the Citi Custom Cash Card, 5% cash back on my highest spend category. $200 cash back on $1500 spend. But looking through its only for: "Restaurants, gas stations, grocery stores, select travel, select transit, select streaming services, drugstores, home improvement stores, fitness clubs, live entertainment."

USBank's Cash+ card offers 5% but not on categories I'm looking at.

Am I missing any others? Would prefer non-Chase cards since I have too many Chase cards but I don't think they have a similar card. Seems to me that the Amex Blue Cash Everyday card is the one I'd want, right?

Thanks for any feedback

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

pseudanonymous posted:

Alliant CU offers a 2.5% cashback card but there's hoops, keep 1K + in a checking account, have one ACH transaction (direct deposit or a transfer from your own outside bank) 1x a month.

I don't know why you're not thinking of the custom cash just for your groceries? Some of the rotating 5% cash back cards tend to offer grocery stores 1x a year, but it's unpredictable.

The statement credit vs cashback thing, cashback into your bank account is slightly better, to a degree that doesn't really matter.

Basically if you get 5% cashback on $100 you apply that 5% to your next statement. Next statement you get 5% back on $95

So on 100% with a 5% card you'd lose $0.25, one US quarter of that cashback.

100 * 0.05 = $5
95 * 0.05 = $4.75

i guess i can split it out to two credit cards but then i'd have to wait another 5-6 months to wait for the dip from my credit to go away. just seeing if i can scoop all that into 1 card

so a statement credit applies percentage wise to my next statement? why wouldn't they just credit the $5 instead? if that's right that seems weird to do...

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Shear Modulus posted:

The citi custom cash is 5% back on gas or groceries every quarter

Is there a limit/cap?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

litany of gulps posted:

I've been using a "Bank Americard Rewards Visa Signature" for something like 20 years. I think it's just a 1% cash back card. I purchase everything that I buy on it, and I pay it off in full each month. I turn the points into account credits when they build up to 150-200 dollars worth, and I've done this for some years now. My credit score is 775-800ish, depending on which credit agency you ask. The only thing differentiating them is the number of accounts they are aware of, but my history is otherwise impeccable.

I've been thinking I should probably get a better rewards card. I'm a homebody that likes to cook, and my wife is a homebody that likes to eat my cooking. I also drink a lot of expensive beer. We don't go out a ton, and I'm pretty sure my single largest expenditure aside from rent for each month is in groceries. I don't do a budget, but I'm kind of looking over the past few months right now and I think I probably spend 8-10 thousand a year in groceries for the two of us, which I realize is a pretty absurd number.

Anyway, it seems like maybe the American Express Blue Cash Preferred Card might be ideal for my use case. Does that sound right?
You have to keep in mind that the AmEx Blue Cash Preferred cost $95 after the first year. I asked about groceries on the last page and was suggested the Citi Custom Cash. It is 5% based off your highest category up to $500 each month. 1% for others. If all you do is spend on Groceries then you could just use this one.

The AmEx obviously earns 1% more, but if there's a cap on $6000/year. That's $500/month so the same limit as the Citi card. Since you can't earn more you can't really overcome the $95/year cost (after the first year).

Just IMO. I'm sure someone will explain some way where the AmEx could be better or something but I think from just a cash back for Groceries perspective the AmEx one is not worth the annual fee.

Citi Custom Cash card: https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/citi-custom-cash-credit-card?category=rewards-credit-cards&intc=7~7~67~1~MCT~1~&afc=1B7

Edit: seems like the Blue has a $200 back if you spend $2000 within 6 months. I don't know AmEx rules about downgrading or canceling so it might be worth it to minmax on this card for the first year or so.
https://www.americanexpress.com/us/credit-cards/card/blue-cash-everyday/

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Aug 12, 2023

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

yeah i'm looking to do this as well since i have a freedom unlimited and a CSR and have a bunch of points in the CSR.. i haven't applied for more than 5 cards in 2 years though but not sure i want to have 3 open freedom unlimited cards

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Seth Pecksniff posted:

This is a good thought and I hadn't considered thinking of it as $300 less!

I'll admit I've never used credit card rewards beyond the Costco executive card cash bacj system so maybe baby's first CC rewards would be a good step before committing to the higher price

At the moment not much. Next year I'm planning a heavy travel year and depending on how I feel it may be subsequent years too so that's why I wanted to get a jump on it

What's the difference between the Ink pref and the CSR? I hadn't looked into that one yet.

Appreciate the help!

Take a look at capital one x card. Somewhat similar to CSR but to me it looked more appealing. I think it’s cheaper too at like 395

Chase points are good for travel but when you book for flights their portal is pretty expensive. You can transfer to united for the best flight point rate though but if that’s not who you fly with you should take a look to see if that’s where you want to end up. Additionally you can also transfer to Marriott. Overall it’s fine but the fee is kinda high now so I’m looking to spend my points on it. Transfer the rest to my chase freedom and probably switch over next year.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

VorpalBunny posted:

Every year I rethink my CSR when the renewal comes up and every year I realize how incredibly valuable the travel insurance is and more than covers the $250 out of pocket for the annual fee. We travel with 4 kids, and usually rent a car, and having all the delay/lost luggage/car rental insurance has more than paid for itself over the years. Plus the doordash credits and other bonuses are gravy. It's still a solid card for us, even though the annual fee does sting.

Is the travel insurance on CSR better/different than the ones from Capital One Venture X card?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

gregday posted:

Holy poo poo, when did Chase add a Request Increase button to their site? I just hit it and got an increase on my card that hasn’t had a change in limit in 10 years. I had tried asking customer service for an increase before without it triggering a hard pull but was always told they couldn’t do so.

I just did this but an FYI, i have 3 cards with chase and after I got approved for an increase on one card they wouldn't let me go back and bump the other cards so make sure you choose the one you want bumped since i guess this button only works once.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Anyone tried the venmo card? says 3% on first cat, 2% on 2nd category, 1% on everything else. no fee for the card . only negative is they're promoting turning cash back into crypto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Venmo offered me $200 on $1000 spend in 6 months. It has 3% back on your top category and 2% on the rest of these categories: Dining & Nightlife, Grocery, Travel, Bills & Utilities, Health & Beauty, Gas, Transportation, and Entertainment.

I'm trying to look for a house/condo come late June/July.. is there a way to estimate how much of a hit this will give to my credit score / loan amount?