Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will Anand Win a Game?
This poll is closed.
Yes 11 22.45%
No 4 8.16%
Hell No 1 2.04%
Hahaha No 11 22.45%
Putin has managed to become a threat to both Russia and World Peace because Obama is not a strong leader like Ronald Reagan 22 44.90%
Total: 49 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
Svidler owns :allears:

e: Please tell me they have more than one filler piece. I fear I may get a little tired of hearing about the Chess Museum on Gogolevsky Boulevard.

King Pawn fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Nov 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
What do you mean by "pretty turdy"? I don't mind this anti-Berlin stuff, it looks like a real game of chess with plenty of potential. I much prefer this to 30 moves of theory in some main line.

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010

Hand Knit posted:

By turdy I mean largely stale without much opportunity for play. Even if not strictly in theory, it's a very dry, well-trod position that doesn't offer either player much of anything.

I hope we get eight more turdy openings :v:

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
gently caress the Berlin. 90% of those games end up in draws that I don't understand. Everyone please start playing 4. d3.

:laugh:

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
Oh boy this is getting good. Rooting for Vishy in the name of drama and intrigue.

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
I agree with him. I don't play slow time control tournaments or watch them live; my enjoyment is limited to post-game recaps. A change like that would be great news to me. I'd prefer 30+5 to 15+5 however.

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
I far preferred the tiebreak days in the recent World Cup. Even on the early days with 64 or 32 boards going at once the classic time controls just made it too hard (and time-consuming) to follow the thread of games from start to finish. On the other hand, I found some of the tiebreak matches (Karjakin-Mamedyarov and Svidler-Karjakin spring to mind, and Wei Yi did some cool stuff) absolutely thrilling. Who cares that it wasn't perfect play, it was the kind of sporting drama that is going to hook people into chess far more than technical endgame play. It's okay for players to make errors.

That's my opinion, anyways.

Hand Knit posted:

glorified rapid
has a lot going for it.

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010

xIlluminatusx posted:

It's just blindly moving pieces around to see who comes out on top.

Sorry but that's just utter nonsense. Nobody's talking about making the time control 1 0 (although even that absurdly quick the best players tend to be GMs..), 45 minutes plus increment is absolutely ample time to play a real game of chess.

Okay so they don't get half-hour thinks for a single move any more. This is OK by me as a spectator because those are loving boring!

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010

Hand Knit posted:

For what it's worth, the prevailing attitude at top levels is something of the sort that "150 minutes is not enough time to play a real game of chess." One of the central pieces of this sentiment is that there isn't enough time to play endgames correctly, and shortened time controls would just exacerbate that.

As for spectating being boring, I don't think there's going to be much of a difference between a game not moving for 30 minutes and a game not moving for 5 minutes if the commentary is trash. And if the commentary is good, then half an hour isn't so hard to fill. It's worth underlining that this is also only a particular problem when there is only one game going and when that is the case you're dealing with a match where you really want to tilt things in favour of best human play (Knockouts Final, World Championship match). For most top level tournaments, like candidates, the grand prix, or the new Sinquefield thing, you've got 6 games going at any given time, so any one game sitting for half an hour isn't such a big deal since other games are still moving. (I'm also putting aside that covering six games at rapid time control does not work very well, even with good commentary.)

And, as a side note where I'll try to not be too snarky, but "boringness" in chess is almost always a function of a lack of understanding. The way to obviate this, then, isn't to make the games quicker but to get better broadcast crews.

I'm not disputing that you can play better chess with more time. This is obvious. I just dispute the principle that the point of a chess tournament is to produce perfect play. If that's what you want I'd recommend correspondence chess or TCEC.

As a spectator, what I watch for is in large part sporting drama and excitement. If the trade-off is that players lose a few dozen ELO of objective strength that most spectators could hardly detect without Stockfish I'm perfectly fine with that.

And as for the last point, there are legitimate reasons to not want to sit down and watch people play chess for six loving hours that don't involve my being a clueless patzer, although you are right that having a few games in tandem helps.

Anyways, it looks like there are actually some high level rapid events coming - the Zurich Chess Challenge will be played at 40+10 apparently. Personally, I'm looking forward to it.

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
Yes a 2 hour game of chess is nothing but a pro wrestling style coin-flipping circus, that's a superb argument.

I'm just speaking to what I want to watch as a (potentially) paying spectator. Getting rid of stupid poo poo like adjournments didn't ruin chess, neither would this. And honestly I'm fine with the world championship circuit staying as is for the purists, and maybe the increasing use of rapid chess for tiebreaks and side tournaments will do for me. Different strokes and all :)

By the way go watch one of those tiebreak matches I mentioned a few posts back and tell me those weren't gripping as hell.

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010

Hand Knit posted:

Anand was the only winner today, beating Topalov in a game that seemed to be pretty easy for him.

Not sure I'd agree with "easy" - 20 moves in Topalov had a choice between winning his queen and launching a really vicious-looking attack. The impression I got is that it wasn't a well played game by super-GM standards.

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
US championship started today, featuring three players in the world top 10 (all of whom duly squashed their opponents).

I enjoyed both the games and the commentary. Figured people might appreciate a heads up.

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
I had heard that, and it seems reasonably likely they could play another blitz match in the chess.com tournament going on. One of the quarter-finals (Nakamura-Harikrishna) is starting in a few hours, I believe.

I'm glad that major blitz and rapid events seem to be gaining popularity. Screw purism, it's more fun that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
Pretty sure he's saying Magnus will beat Karjakin comfortably. Which seems the most likely result, but Karjakin is no joke and 12 matches isn't all that long, so who knows?

And yeah, I'm looking forward to it.

• Locked thread