Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I just loooove to debate!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It's almost never debating, but playing devils advocate, those types are the most insufferable human beings.

ScratchAndSniff
Sep 28, 2008

This game stinks
Depending on your frame of reference, maybe Hitler was right

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

It's mostly just being a contrarian to appear unique and wise

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
"WASP" is at least as offensive as "friend of the family" if not moreso

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Although I agree with your opinions in every way, I feel I must play devil's advocate.

Oh Hell No
Oct 10, 2007

I've got the world on a string.

Look, I'm just saying that if it's between two consenting adults and there's no intent to produce children, there is nothing immoral about brother-sister incest.

... no, I don't have any siblings. How is that relevant?

NakedWithCandy
Sep 22, 2014
You won't even debate her because deep down you know she is right.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Professor Shark posted:

It's mostly just being a contrarian to appear unique and wise

no it's usually at least in college because you can make one person or the professor start yelling.

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.
you say ONE dodgy thing in LF and you get branded a racist for 8 years COME ON

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.
i've grown as a person and i've learned more about social issues JUST LET ME BE, JESUS CHRIST

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I said come in! posted:

It's almost never debating, but playing devils advocate, those types are the most insufferable human beings.

This loving guy knows what's up.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I was in a class here in :canada: and the topic of Residential Schools came up (for those who aren't familiar: a long time ago up until not-so-long-ago the Canadian Government took First Nations children from their homes and gave them to church schools in order to "get the Indian out of the child" and make them civilized (i.e. White)).

While anyone with a brain could understand that this was A Bad Thing, a girl in my class decided to "Play Devil's Advocate" and stick up for policy and declared that the First Nations children were being given an amazing opportunity, the chance to get away from their impoverished lives and get free education and learn how to be members of society. Our professor, who was up until recently a T.A., taking up the class after the first professor abruptly took retirement, allowed her to voice her opinions and conducted an impromptu debate.

Long, racist story short, it ended in yelling between her and an older student and was taken to the professor's new office, where there continued to be yelling. The Devil's Advocate apparently ripped into the professor, after the other woman left, for not knowing how to properly conduct a debate and the only thing that was solved was that at the end of the year the newly made professor was told she wouldn't be working at the university anymore.

Anyway, the next year The Devil's Advocate got into a serious car accident and apparently had an epiphany that she was a huge loving idiot and found God or prescription medication and changed her life.

The End, gently caress your tldr

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Nov 7, 2014

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp

Professor Shark posted:

I was in a class here in :canada: and the topic of Residential Schools came up (for those who aren't familiar: a long time ago up until not-so-long-ago the Canadian Government took First Nations children from their homes and gave them to church schools in order to "get the Indian out of the child" and make them civilized (i.e. White)).

While anyone with a brain could understand that this was A Bad Thing, a girl in my class decided to "Play Devil's Advocate" and stick up for policy and declared that the First Nations children were being given an amazing opportunity, the chance to get away from their impoverished lives and get free education and learn how to be members of society. Our professor, who was up until recently a T.A., taking up the class after the first professor abruptly took retirement, allowed her to voice her opinions and conducted an impromptu debate.

Long, racist story short, it ended in yelling between her and an older student and was taken to the professor's new office, where there continued to be yelling. The Devil's Advocate apparently ripped into the professor after the other woman left for not knowing how to properly conduct a debate and the only thing that was solved was that at the end of the year the newly made professor was told she wouldn't be working at the university anymore.

Anyway, the next year The Devil's Advocate got into a serious car accident and apparently had an epiphany that she was a huge loving idiot and found God or prescription medication and changed her life.

Sometimes God just needs to punish people.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Even with her new life I bet she would argue that it was one of those times that God took notice and decided to really make a difference in the world

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

I remember in the debate club we decided that for the hell of it we'd have an exercise where one person would get a position deemed "impossible" to defend (ie: Nazism). Just declare you wanted to do it, pull a topic from the Godwin hat, then have at er. Anyone who could win this debate challenge would then get a free round after.

Only 2 people in the two years I was in the club won this challenge, myself included.

I won by successfully making the case that we should kill all the Pandas. My argument amounted that it needed to happen for the greater good of diverting resources to other non-cute species.

Another person won the challenge by successful defending the Nazi Holocaust. Their argument was that even before the war, the Nazi made clear their racist policies and anyone paying attention knew this was going to happen and the Nazi's were reasonable enough to allow all the jews to escape if they wanted to. It was actually the fault of the rest of the world for denying entry of Jewish refugees even though they were aware of the fate that likely awaited them.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
I had someone try to defend Indian Boarding Schools (What we call Residential Schools in the US) in a Native American Studies class.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Professor Shark posted:

Long, racist story short, it ended in yelling between her and an older student and was taken to the professor's new office, where there continued to be yelling. The Devil's Advocate apparently ripped into the professor, after the other woman left, for not knowing how to properly conduct a debate and the only thing that was solved was that at the end of the year the newly made professor was told she wouldn't be working at the university anymore.

But she was right.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the title of this thread sounds like an onion article

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

I had someone try to defend Indian Boarding Schools (What we call Residential Schools in the US) in a Native American Studies class.

what wree their arguements and did it lead to a big fight?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Davincie posted:

the title of this thread sounds like an onion article

Good Onion or Bad Onion?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i didn't know there was a divide but ill give it a 6

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
somebody tried to steal my identity and died in a car wreck

anchoress
Dec 24, 2011

by XyloJW

Professor Shark posted:

the residential schools were a terrible mistake. now we know that first nations people simply don't have the brainpower to become white, and it was a waste of resources trying to make them so

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Is the girl hot

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

She was rounder then, I checked her Facebook and she's taken up running and now is thinner but still not so great but who am I to judge... but yeah wouldn't do

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Professor Shark posted:

She was rounder then, I checked her Facebook and she's taken up running and now is thinner but still not so great but who am I to judge... but yeah wouldn't do

i always liked when you would see a hot girl in class and she opened her mouth and you knew her only way to not die would to become a sex worker.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I think your cool av is the only thing keeping you around here

Edit: i mean same with me, but at least i'm just a shark and not a psycho lol

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW

TOILETLORD posted:

i always liked when you would see a hot girl in class and she opened her mouth and you knew her only way to not die would to become a sex worker.

she's now working in HR with better hours and pay than you

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

NakedWithCandy posted:

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Stoic Commie posted:

she's now working in HR with better hours and pay than you

i doubt the girl who couldn't tell the difference between kings of new york and the revolutionary war is doing better than me unless she just married well.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

TOILETLORD posted:

:siren:i doubt the girl who couldn't tell the difference between kings of new york and the revolutionary war is doing better than me :siren:

I'm willing to bet you my girlfriend that you're wrong!

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Professor Shark posted:

I'm willing to bet you my girlfriend that you're wrong!

so if i agree with you i get a free girlfriend, sure whatever.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

You won, enjoy that cloaca!

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Post some pictures of the girl so we can see if she's hot and decide who's team to be on

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Oooooooooh you! :allears:

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Right now I'm guessing the girl is probably the good guy and you're the bad guy, since I'm imagining that she's hot. But hell, you could prove me wrong and boy would my face be red.

Kleen_TheRacistDog
Feb 17, 2014

Can't bust the Krust fuckman
www.skullmund.com

NakedWithCandy posted:

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
uhh cool avs aside, psychos should always be welcomed. for their company or to get their guard down, do NOT antagonize a psycho, you lunatic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
i guess offering them your gf might work... some psychos would smell that honeypot a mile away tho

• Locked thread