Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

ArbitraryC posted:

Honestly "I believe in capitalism because I think economic pressure should result in the death of our least successful citizens" is almost a refreshing viewpoint in how honest it is and because it's a consistent view based on personal morals I can disagree with you without thinking you're dumb or ignorant for holding it. I take more offence to people who absolutely refuse to acknowledge the price of such systems will involve people dying of things that could be prevented if we pooled our resources.

thats neat but im on the right side of history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Which history? The white man's?!

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
whoever's left

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Drink Cheerwine posted:

whoever's left

what am i arguing?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

TOILETLORD posted:

what am i arguing?

Zip-Up or Pullover hoodies.

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

Alejandro Sanchez posted:

raspy did your main accoutn get probied again

who is raspy

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Blistex posted:

Zip-Up or Pullover hoodies.

i'll work in a -40 degree freezer for up to 2 hours with no jacket, that argument is alien to me.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

JebanyPedal posted:

The height of human civilization is Three Six Mafia.

so its ok to rape a 110 pound girl?

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

TOILETLORD posted:

what am i arguing?

all the poor people will be killed by micromachines or an artisanal virus or something, who cares

youre p good about generating your own leads. i suggest hammering on agw, theyll loving flip eventuallly

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Drink Cheerwine posted:

all the poor people will be killed by micromachines or an artisanal virus or something, who cares

youre p good about generating your own leads. i suggest hammering on agw, theyll loving flip eventuallly

i'll be honest i don't know what AGW is i just know that the original time tables for global warming were the exact time periods democrats needed to raise funds for elections. oh and http://dailycaller.com/2014/01/15/un-climate-chief-communism-is-best-to-fight-global-warming/

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
can someone post a pic of a babe in here already

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
or even a hot guy just something horny

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Blistex posted:

Racism against first nations people is pretty rampant in Canada, right across the country, it's our version of the black situation in the US, and pretty much exactly the same as the aboriginal issue in Australia. Go to any Canadian news article about first nations people in google news, click on the article, then go to the comments. Not pretty. It's no wonder so many young people who have no interaction with first nations people have really backwards views as it is everywhere.

Funnily enough, I have found the opposite to be true, but in a really bizarre way.

I taught at a first nations school for 4 years (and was eventually laid off for being white, but that is another story) but first nations people absolutely hate Asians. I'm talking about teens in Northern Ontario who have never seen an Asian in person, who have mind-boggling opinions on them. About once a week I'd tell a student to stop saying really hateful things about Chinese people, but you'd never hear a peep about the Europeans who screwed them over (and continue to). :psyduck:

it would really help the indians if they were drunkards IMO

Moridin920 posted:

I think this wasn't acceptable in Rome two thousand years ago.

idk what if you are like a slave. spartacus had sexy slaves with like neck braces and S&M Gor scenes

looks like there is more to it than you think

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

TOILETLORD posted:

i'll be honest i don't know what AGW is i just know that the original time tables for global warming were the exact time periods democrats needed to raise funds for elections. oh and http://dailycaller.com/2014/01/15/un-climate-chief-communism-is-best-to-fight-global-warming/
So are you puppetmastering here too or are you just dumb?

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I like this thread because I keep thinking people are talking about me. Anyway back in community college during and English class of all things a debate broke out about vegetarianism. It was pretty much a couple bored people vs this one girl who felt pretty strongly that eating meat was cruel. People questioned her over what she thought it was ok to eat and it was revealed that she ate fish. People said that fish are animals to which she replied, and I swear I'm repeating this verbatim because it was burned into my skull that day: "Fish isn't meat because fish don't have mothers." Everyone stopped arguing and even the teacher just kind of stared at her in awe for a few seconds, then eventually changed the subject to something else. It was like one of those Christian shitthatdidnthappen.txts except in reverse or something.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

ArbitraryC posted:

neither it's pretty obvious when all leftest governments use a single propaganda tag line to take control from the general population using soviet style news cycles. Satellites from government agencies put in charge by leftest say the exact opposite of independent sources, should automatically cause suspicition on both sides of an issue and cause both sides to look for common ground. instead you get scientist shunning each other along party lines, meaning all work is biased to the point of being junk science.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

ArbitraryC posted:

that article makes a lot of good points about environmentalism & communism and how theyre the same

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
Eh realistically there is a difference between fresh caught fish and factory farmed mammals and beyond that there's a difference between fish and mammal brains on broader level so I think people who think pescatarians are some sort of silver bullet of hypocrisy are pretty dumb.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

TOILETLORD posted:

neither it's pretty obvious when all leftest governments use a single propaganda tag line to take control from the general population using soviet style news cycles. Satellites from government agencies put in charge by leftest say the exact opposite of independent sources, should automatically cause suspicition on both sides of an issue and cause both sides to look for common ground. instead you get scientist shunning each other along party lines, meaning all work is biased to the point of being junk science.
Well last time I pointed out why everything you said was retarded with actual facts you just went "haha that's what I wanted you to do all along" so this time I'm just going to dismiss you for being mentally deficient in general but not actually bother clarifying why on a point by point basis. Just go ahead and assume that if I wanted to I could write a couple paragraphs to which you would claim to be a puppetmaster for and we can skip the exercise.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

ArbitraryC posted:

Well last time I pointed out why everything you said was retarded with actual facts you just went "haha that's what I wanted you to do all along" so this time I'm just going to dismiss you for being mentally deficient in general but not actually bother clarifying why on a point by point basis. Just go ahead and assume that if I wanted to I could write a couple paragraphs to which you would claim to be a puppetmaster for and we can skip the exercise.

guess i'm done in this thread.

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
so thats what GiP stands for

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

ArbitraryC posted:

oh i get it your Twee as Fucks parachute account

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Harald posted:

oh i get it your Twee as Fucks parachute account
Twee as fucks and I have had several internet duels over petty issues no one remembers and while I won't rule out being a parachute account for him I would say our completely opposite political beliefs and arguments would require an inordinate amount of dedication to keep up for a 10 dollar account ruse.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice
the "best" part of the whole native residential schools thing is they handed over administration and teaching of a bunch of the schools to the catholic church circa 1950 and then the govt acted all surprised when they turned into pedo rape gitmo for indians

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Blistex posted:

Up until the 90's the average life expectancy of a first nations male was in the 40's due to health and lifestyle reasons. Some people point to no taxes and free university as the perfect recipe for any native student to succeed and become a millionaire, but the deck is really, really stacked against them in so many ways.

-Prospective employers having unflattering preconceptions about First Nations people due to outright racism and media/film portrayals
-Many of them coming from very isolated communities and getting severe culture shock in their own country
-Substandard "western education" because the remote communities only get first-year teachers who never make connections to the students and bail the first chance they get
-Horribly corrupt band governments who typically operate in "family parties" that would not look out of place in Game of Thrones
-Coming from horribly dysfunctional families that are orders of magnitude above the national average
-Cultural differences that make them stick out in a typical classroom setting (no eye contact, deathly afraid of speaking to teachers, etc.)
-Going to university or work off reserve might mean having to travel hours on exorbitantly expensive plane trips (small charter)
-And their first-nations education boards running the schools like make-work programs where a school of 75 students will have 3-4 teachers, 15-20 administrators, and 10 or more janitors because "hey, the government is giving us this money, and running/funding the school properly will only employ 14 people.

I could do a multi-page effort post about all the barriers facing first nations kids today, but I've already depressed myself enough typing this.

Man that's depressing poo poo. Makes Alaska look healthy (not really).

Thanks for posting anyway. I'm native and Northern Canada is the only place I ever felt like white people were giving me the hairy eyeball.

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011
whats this thread about

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011
i read through it but i have no clue

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
some pedo trekkie pretended to know a girl but never posted pix bc he made her up

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
Requesting namechange to ArbitraryTwee though because that would be baller

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

girls in psych classes just know so much

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3589774

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

The Sphinxster posted:

Man that's depressing poo poo. Makes Alaska look healthy (not really).

Thanks for posting anyway. I'm native and Northern Canada is the only place I ever felt like white people were giving me the hairy eyeball.

Let me guess, baby boomer men? They can't get past the whole, "natives don't pay taxes eh" (some taxes). Then again, 5-7% of almost nothing* (income/spending) isn't really bankrupting Canada. Add to that news stories that "get mah blood boilin" (First nations roadblocks and other incidents that are few and far between) and you have a recipe for getting the stinkeye from some people just for being native.

*first nations people are the lowest earning/spending bracket in Canada.

What's really sad is that a lot of first nations communities in Canada are shooting themselves in the foot (in addition to all the other outside problems) because politics and the power and money they entail are being horribly mismanaged because communities are typically divided into family voting blocks. So during one term you'll have one family draining the band coffers until they are voted out, then another family winning the election and doing the same. This often results in many bands having a very tiny core of incredibly well paying jobs, and the rest of the community living well under the poverty line. There have been a few high-profile stories in the news about band leaders paying themselves and relatives hundreds of thousands of dollars a year while their community housing becomes dilapidated and then they have to declare an emergency. This makes the perfect storm of negative media attention because you see mismanagement in the community, and then the government having to step in and spend millions to try and prevent a humanitarian disaster (too late). This results in the aforementioned old white guys getting even more pissed because, "dey're takin meh tax dollars, and they don't even pay taxes".

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW

Drink Cheerwine posted:

that article makes a lot of good points about environmentalism & communism and how theyre the same

THIS GUY OWNS! THIS GUY loving OWNS

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Drink Cheerwine posted:

some pedo trekkie pretended to know a girl but never posted pix bc he made her up

o'brien isn't star trek

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Professor Shark posted:

I was in a class here in :canada: and the topic of Residential Schools came up (for those who aren't familiar: a long time ago up until not-so-long-ago the Canadian Government took First Nations children from their homes and gave them to church schools in order to "get the Indian out of the child" and make them civilized (i.e. White)).

While anyone with a brain could understand that this was A Bad Thing, a girl in my class decided to "Play Devil's Advocate" and stick up for policy and declared that the First Nations children were being given an amazing opportunity, the chance to get away from their impoverished lives and get free education and learn how to be members of society. Our professor, who was up until recently a T.A., taking up the class after the first professor abruptly took retirement, allowed her to voice her opinions and conducted an impromptu debate.

Long, racist story short, it ended in yelling between her and an older student and was taken to the professor's new office, where there continued to be yelling. The Devil's Advocate apparently ripped into the professor, after the other woman left, for not knowing how to properly conduct a debate and the only thing that was solved was that at the end of the year the newly made professor was told she wouldn't be working at the university anymore.

Anyway, the next year The Devil's Advocate got into a serious car accident and apparently had an epiphany that she was a huge loving idiot and found God or prescription medication and changed her life.

The End, gently caress your tldr

And that professor was Albert Einstein

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Imagine how different this topic would be if it were about a guy who donated all his savings to charity and then hanged himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

SHISHKABOB posted:

And that professor was Albert Einstein

Eh, I guess it may appear to veer into the stdh territory, but that's just because you wouldn't expect someone to be that drat dumb. I'm not going to post school info or personal info, but I can assure you that it happened, believe me or don't.

• Locked thread