Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

etalian posted:

probably a dream given how the whole scenario and even girl matches his desired fake dream at Rekall.

yah, but the sweat u moran

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I wonder if the rubber Arnold heads they used for the scene where he pulls the thing out of his nose and the scene where his face is about to explode on the surface of mars still exist somewhere

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

proof of concept posted:

I wonder if the rubber Arnold heads they used for the scene where he pulls the thing out of his nose and the scene where his face is about to explode on the surface of mars still exist somewhere

they probably got turned into flesh lights

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

proof of concept posted:

excellent children's movie, imo

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

TOILETLORD posted:

they probably got turned into flesh lights

that was more or less my plan for them yeah

Phlairdon
Apr 15, 2003

If you can't stand up you can't do war!

Drink Cheerwine posted:

yah, but the sweat u moran

You'd think the fact that he could read his note to himself would be proof enough that it wasn't a dream. You know, like in Batman.

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

I was called Total Retard in elementary school and in middle school and high school/college and everywhere I've worked and also when I was a baby.

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine

etalian posted:

probably a dream given how the whole scenario and even girl matches his desired fake dream at Rekall.

They kinda hosed it up though. She's in both the dream at the beginning and on the monitor at Rekall; she really shouldn't be in both.

Officially the idea was to make both versions equally plausible. I watched the DVD extras, yay.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
Total Recall was a better Inception.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Phobic Nest posted:

They kinda hosed it up though. She's in both the dream at the beginning and on the monitor at Rekall; she really shouldn't be in both.

Officially the idea was to make both versions equally plausible. I watched the DVD extras, yay.

nah when she shows up in the monitor he's already getting woozy from the knockout drugs they had just given him so you could say he was projecting his fantasy/his memory onto whatever model they were showing him

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Junkfist posted:

Total Recall was a better Inception.

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine

proof of concept posted:

nah when she shows up in the monitor he's already getting woozy from the knockout drugs they had just given him so you could say he was projecting his fantasy/his memory onto whatever model they were showing him
I suppose, though the scenes that Quaid's not in are still kind of a problem.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Phobic Nest posted:

I suppose, though the scenes that Quaid's not in are still kind of a problem.

he's having an out of body experience during those parts
you're over-braining this

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine

proof of concept posted:

he's having an out of body experience during those parts
you're over-braining this
Ah, I see.

Wait... then does he immediately forget what happened (when they dropped him in the cab, or when the boss decides to kill him)?

Yes, of course he does. They got him on the good poo poo for his trip.

Bubble Bobby
Jan 28, 2005
i watched total recall for the first time the other day and it was awesome.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Phobic Nest posted:

Ah, I see.

Wait... then does he immediately forget what happened (when they dropped him in the cab, or when the boss decides to kill him)?

Yes, of course he does. They got him on the good poo poo for his trip.

the head doctor is like "scrub his memory and dump him in a cab, I'll refund his money, if anyone asks he was never here"

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine
Yeah, that really only works if it's "real." Which is kind of a sucky oversight cuz it wouldn't be too hard to write around, just have him groggily conscious for it or him somehow flee or whatevs.

e: Yes I'm demanding spergy perfection from a Verhoeven movie.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Ah Map
Oct 9, 2012
Total Recall is the go to movie when I want to watch an angry man waving Michael Ironside's arms around. I tend to think that the real ending is the ending of the story it was based on, in which the world is taken over by mice.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

When people ask for any kind of a time frame for anything, 90% of the time I go into the "two weeks" routine.

This is not a joke, I actually do this.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
It would suck if the whole thing was implanted memories and afterwards he went home for cornflakes and the wife who died during his trip was there waiting for him.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Is that the song by the Bare Naked Ladies.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
if you havent seen all of verhoevens american movies yet youre p hosed up

also the movie shows things that quaid isnt aware of so a point for reality

a girl from his dreams being present on mars isnt a point for it being a dream because his dreams could also have been derived from actual hauser memories of her on mars

Tricky D posted:

It would suck if the whole thing was implanted memories and afterwards he went home for cornflakes and the wife who died during his trip was there waiting for him.
pretty homo thing to say

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Nov 7, 2014

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

gary oldmans diary posted:

pretty homo thing to say

Well, he would still believe his memories from Rekall so he would probably straight up murder her.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

the remake isn't as bad as people say it is, though they totally remove mars

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Tricky D posted:

Well, he would still believe his memories from Rekall so he would probably straight up murder her.
he would probably notice she is alive before murdering her and that might be strange to him as far as believing his memories goes
while he is pondering this he gets a raging hardon because sharon stone

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I was watching The Faculty recently and while the movie isn't good it at least uses some really neat practical special effects, which are even more noticeable considering how bad the CG is. I don't really care how good CG is right now, I just wish movies would use practical special effects again because they're way more effective, and even when they're not, you can appreciate the work that went into crafting something and the work necessary to make your prop look good on screen.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

Professor Shark posted:

the remake isn't as bad as people say it is, though they totally remove mars

It's not really a bad movie. Just kinda a pointless and forgettable movie that's an obvious cash grab.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

Phobic Nest posted:

Yeah, that really only works if it's "real." Which is kind of a sucky oversight cuz it wouldn't be too hard to write around, just have him groggily conscious for it or him somehow flee or whatevs.

e: Yes I'm demanding spergy perfection from a Verhoeven movie.

Watch the scene where Quaid's confronted by the Rekall guy on Mars. The Rekall guy completely describes the end of the movie to Quaid.

Also remember in the Rekall lab one of the technicians says something like "This is new, blue sky on Mars".

The film subtly suggests that Quaid's being lobotomized.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
The Total Recall remake had way too much "hey heres a thing youll remember! WOW!" the biggest offender being tri-boob existing eventhough mutants arent a thing in this movie. She showed up, flashed three tits, said two lines derivative of something everyone remembers, then she went away.

Robocop remake on the other hand had a bunch of references but they fit a lot better. Plus the movie itself was different enough to justify its existence. Total Recall ended up just being the same movie but boringer and lazier.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

Fake E:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

ultrabindu posted:

Watch the scene where Quaid's confronted by the Rekall guy on Mars. The Rekall guy completely describes the end of the movie to Quaid.

Also remember in the Rekall lab one of the technicians says something like "This is new, blue sky on Mars".

Coincidence!

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
why

why cant we have squibs anymore

why

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Gutcruncher posted:

The Total Recall remake had way too much "hey heres a thing youll remember! WOW!" the biggest offender being tri-boob existing eventhough mutants arent a thing in this movie. She showed up, flashed three tits, said two lines derivative of something everyone remembers, then she went away.

Robocop remake on the other hand had a bunch of references but they fit a lot better. Plus the movie itself was different enough to justify its existence. Total Recall ended up just being the same movie but boringer and lazier.

I don't remember any specifics but the Total Recall remake had soooo many of those moments. Like the call back to the large lady wearing yellow, which then throws the audience for a loop because she doesn't actually do anything (at least that's what I remember). It's something that only makes sense if you saw the original, and otherwise has nothing to do with anything.

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

why

why cant we have squibs anymore

why

prolly more difficult/expensive then having some lame rear end cgi bulletholes, which is why parts of the expendables really looked awful. didnt they use a lot of practical effects in rambo iv though?

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

WHAT? NO YOU!

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

was ronny cox from total recall a descendant of ronny cox from robocop??

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

ultrabindu posted:

or that guy might know about the alien artifacts because hes part of the conspiracy, predicts an aspect of the rekall program because hes trying to convince quaid that this is part of the rekall program they knew he had, and the other thing he said is hell be cohagens bosom buddy so hes not that convincing
if "rekall guy" were telling the truth then the laurie from that scene wouldve really been controlled by her self from outside the dream not wholly subject to quaids fantasies like the sweat droplet mightve been

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Budget Dracula posted:

prolly more difficult/expensive then having some lame rear end cgi bulletholes, which is why parts of the expendables really looked awful. didnt they use a lot of practical effects in rambo iv though?

Rambo 4 was pretty great and can hang out with Dredd in the '80s movies born in the wrong time' club.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

gary oldmans diary posted:

or that guy might know about the alien artifacts because hes part of the conspiracy, predicts an aspect of the rekall program because hes trying to convince quaid that this is part of the rekall program they knew he had, and the other thing he said is hell be cohagens bosom buddy so hes not that convincing
if "rekall guy" were telling the truth then the laurie from that scene wouldve really been controlled by her self from outside the dream not wholly subject to quaids fantasies like the sweat droplet mightve been

Who knows?
How do we even know that Rekall guy and Laurie were not aspects of Quaid's mind trying to snap him back to reality?

• Locked thread