Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
since i noticed netflix has total recall up the good one i've watched like 5 times in 2 weeks. Why can't hollywood make action movies anymore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Tsinava posted:

the new entertainment frontier approaching hollywood is sexy cartoons for adults

all i want is dudes shooting each other without shaky cam.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

etalian posted:

Dredd is the only fairly recent film that successful captured the feel of 80s action movies.

i got pissed whenever they used CG instead of 10 times the squibs required like a real movie should. Also no boobs. i give it a c+.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
also arrow is the best 80's action movie right now.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

sorry best gang boss is always lord humungous. women just can't do it right.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Wendigee posted:

the arrow? really? i just assumed it would be terrible and skipped it

all the non island stuff is kinda bad but the rest is just practical effect action scenes with stunt men.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

oldpainless posted:

Its truly amazing how a steroid-ridden foreigner who can barely speak English really made some truly classic action movies. Compare him to a chump like Stallone or Snipes.

dude was smart though, really smart people always do good work when they enjoy what they are doing.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

No. 6 posted:

Arrow is a poo poo series for morons, girls, and gay men. Which is toiletlord?

i ignore the show and post here until the music changes and there is an action scene i haven't see any of the show that isn't just an action scene.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Mange Mite posted:

they used plenty of squibs and when they used cgi it was slow motion effort cgi not lazy generic blood splats cgi

all cg blood is lazy cg blood splats that are worse than squibs.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
they also just added yugioh i'm watching it.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Harald posted:

so like did the events of total recall actually happen or was it just his recall experience? I never figured that one out/

ambiguous on purpose.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

proof of concept posted:

I wonder if the rubber Arnold heads they used for the scene where he pulls the thing out of his nose and the scene where his face is about to explode on the surface of mars still exist somewhere

they probably got turned into flesh lights

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

psyman posted:

The problem isn't shakey cam but really quick cutting and short takes. My biggest pet peeve with films these days is short scene lengths because so many action films are edited down to barely a second or two per scene.

Children of Men is an amazing example of the difference long takes can make in terms of satisfying action. It really spoiled me and now I just bitch endlessly about how every new film needs longer takes.

know what i agree that's what makes the action scenes in arrow work. I don't see why it's hard to hire stunt men to just fake hit each other for a couple minutes, you can get them cheaper than actors, and i bet they enjoy the screen time.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
hey guys http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=way26NPUB6M

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
also http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXUdIkASi9I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Gutcruncher posted:

So how come in Jingle All The Way, Arnold got a real working jetpack? So they decided a proper use of this incredible new technology would be to have some idiot wear it in a parade?

since every working jet pack so far was used by jetpack man at football games i'd say yes.

• Locked thread