Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

Good evening fellow Personal Computer owners! It's been over one full year since I last churned out a lovely thread for PC COD players so they could have a somewhat contained place to find "Voice Over Internet Protocol" information and Steam groups, and it's with a heavy heart that I must now make another one because apparently some people are still buying Call of Duty on PC for some loving reason.

Also, here's another PC COD thread in the Imp Zone that has an active Steam group and probably other neato stuff: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3679321&perpage=40

If you are on the fence about buying Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare for your mouse- and keyboard-enabled personal computing device, here's the "skinny" or "run-down" on what you should know:
  • Multiplayer impressions generally range from "terrible" to merely "not worth $60"
  • The singleplayer is apparently good?
  • People are having hardware issues but I honestly haven't been paying enough attention to determine if they're widespread or standard PC Gaming(TM) poo poo

Here are some testimonials about how awesome COD:Root Beer is for PC:

quote:

they really hosed something up with matchmaking, nothing but being unable to consistently get our group in game for hours. This is on PC.

quote:

How the gently caress do these guys get away with refusing to launch the game on a dual-core? I had to download a patched .exe and big surprise my G3258 with GTX 970 does 1080p60 with 4x supersampling. Oh but I'm sure Activision knows better than me what my system can play. Morons.

quote:

Umm what else, the input lag in the menu. I was told this was a PC game, it is not.

quote:

The game runs at 70 fps and then loses 10 frames every time I turn a few degrees. NEAT
If there is some easy way to fix this, let me know. I am pretty sure my 660ti can handle this.

quote:

So this is unplayable on PC for me. I've got an i5-2300 and HD7850, but the stuttering means I can't play at all, even if I turn my resolution down and put graphics on minimum.

Some posters have even compared this game to the original Doom in its revolutionary take on FPS graphics:

Sappo569 posted:

So I played an hour or so last night of this (on pc)

Are the textures supposed to be super washed out and blurry?

Like looking at the spinning character in the menu screens, some of his textures are really sharp, and some are from Doom era early 90's

I have everything cranked to max, maybe it's just console'd?

Got Haggis? posted:

yeah, same thing for me....for example the golf course that you run across at camp david...it looks terrible, something out of 90's doom (or at least did for me). someone sent me this link, i'm about to try these settings out to see if they make a difference: https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/2l8jlu/call_of_duty_advanced_warfare_fixes_tweaks/

Here's some information about Steam groups:
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/blOOPS_sux
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/AdvancedGoonfare

Here's some information about Mumble or Teamspeak or Ventrilo or Skype or whatever loving retarded poo poo you heathens are using this month:

dreffen posted:

PC players come join mumble and play!

Reticulated Splines
vx38.commandchannel.com
Port 31463

Here are some solutions to issues that people have posted:

INSUFFICIENTLY TACTICAL GRAPHICS FOR A TIER ONE EXO OPERATOR

r0ck0 posted:

Please add to the OP.

To fix texture blur turn off Cache (Sun,Spot) Shadow Maps under advanced video settings.

Example of texture blur:

Woohoo posted:

Holy poo poo, totally by accident turned off VSync (I have it on basically everywhere due tearing) and game suddenly started to feel... acceptable.

"Normal" textures still look worse than what I can create with a piece of toilet paper after a lunch of spoiled tacos, but at least it doesn't feel like cursor is covered with wood glue in menus anymore.
Turns out Vertical sync is buggy in this game. Or perhaps it caps frame rate to something lower than 60. Like 8.

EDIT: Improvement after turning off Vsync is so incredible (and strangely, this is one of few rare games that doesn't really require it on my machine) that it should be in OP, I think. I can now bump up all other settings and it's still smooth.

MOUSE ISSUES

quote:

In your config_mp.cfg located at "\Steam\SteamApps\common\Call of Duty Advanced Warfare\players2" make sure the following values are set as:

seta cl_mouseAccel "0"
seta r_elevatedPriority "0"
seta in_mouse "2" <-- This allows raw input

Reduce mouse polling rate to 125/250Mhz via your mouse's software

Set launch options with -noforcemaccel, -noforcemparms in steam

snodig posted:

I fixed the weird PC mouse lag by slamming my GS400s really hard after someone killed my CoD operator. My mouse wheel can only scroll downwards now, but the lag is gone.

AUDIO ISSUES

The Iron Rose posted:

Anyway to unfuck the audio desync in cutscenes on PC?

Knifegrab posted:

Currently, as far as I'm aware, no. What I did is as soon as a cutscene started I brought up my steam overlay. This pauses the game as soon as the cutscene ends. Then I save and quit to the main menu, and I click "resume game" and it starts the mission again but this time with the audio synced correctly.

Here is how "#gamergate" is much like the canary in the mine with regards to this stuff

Apthous posted:

For the record I can't play this game because my graphics card is 5 years old and can't run directx 11. CoD can infact run though on an xbox 360 which was released 9 years ago.

Say what you will about #gamergate, but it really was an indication that the gaming industry is becoming infested with people that don't actually care about gaming and are committed to its destruction. Obviously #gamergate has nothing directly to do with lovely PC support for the new CoD, it is just the canary in the mine with regards to this stuff.

So basically gently caress this gay earth. There is no logical reason why this game should not be able to be played on older graphics cards. I can understand low frame rates, or maybe some graphical glitches, but to simply just straight up not being able to run is just not right.

Here's a picture of a dog wearing rabbit ears with a carrot in its mouth:

And here, of course, is actual, uncensored hard data about Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare, a game which I own, play frequently, and am a huge fan of:

More hard data to come when I feel like it, enjoy your chipset chat safe zone nerds

Stubear St. Pierre fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Nov 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Stubear St. Pierre posted:

Here's a picture of a dog wearing rabbit ears with a carrot in its mouth:

Here's why I'll keep buying Call of Duty games on the PC.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
This game is really bad don't buy it.

The single player is the only redeeming part, weirdly enough.

CheeseFactory
May 12, 2009

MAYBE A DINGO ATE YOUR K/D

hopterque posted:

This game is really bad don't buy it.

The single player is the only redeeming part, weirdly enough.

Agreed, Single Player is good. Which is pretty loving funny.

Multi is laggy dogshit.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
The last CoD game I played was World at War which had community servers and other poo poo. My buddy wants to pick this up but I've heard those are pretty much gone and never coming back, true? I really have no desire to be using "matchmaking" in a PC game.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

The Gunslinger posted:

The last CoD game I played was World at War which had community servers and other poo poo. My buddy wants to pick this up but I've heard those are pretty much gone and never coming back, true? I really have no desire to be using "matchmaking" in a PC game.

The game was "supposed" to have dedicated servers (in some form).

But that never materialized.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
If you are having troubles with connectivity, try forwarding these ports:

TCP: 27014-27050
UDP: 3478, 4379-4380, 27000-27031, 27036

It seems to have alleviated a lot of my connection issues.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
No, community run servers aren't coming back.

But really there's plenty of actually good reasons to not get the game so tell your friend tough luck.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
First 2 days poo poo was running fine, past 2 im constantly lagging about a quarter second behind, or waiting for eternity in the lobby.

And then I got put in a FFA game by myself (I won).

Don't have much to complain about mechanics wise on the MP though, I like the speed, the movement style (despite spacebar mashing giving me some pretty serious wrist strain) and I even like most of the maps.
Tweaking the scorestreaks is pretty nice, with special mention to the wallhack UAV.

Things that bother me:

Camo/attatchment challenges - Have you loving SEEN what the camo requirements are like?! 500 headshots? Plus longshot distance seems to be a lot farther than what one might expect, and double kill seems to now mean'both drop at exactly the same time' so gently caress knows how you're meant to get that with half the guns.

No C4.

No Tomahawks/throwing knives

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Shannow posted:

First 2 days poo poo was running fine, past 2 im constantly lagging about a quarter second behind, or waiting for eternity in the lobby.

And then I got put in a FFA game by myself (I won).

Don't have much to complain about mechanics wise on the MP though, I like the speed, the movement style (despite spacebar mashing giving me some pretty serious wrist strain) and I even like most of the maps.
Tweaking the scorestreaks is pretty nice, with special mention to the wallhack UAV.

Things that bother me:

Camo/attatchment challenges - Have you loving SEEN what the camo requirements are like?! 500 headshots? Plus longshot distance seems to be a lot farther than what one might expect, and double kill seems to now mean'both drop at exactly the same time' so gently caress knows how you're meant to get that with half the guns.

No C4.

No Tomahawks/throwing knives

There is literally a spikey metalic boomerang that acts the same as the tomahawks/throwing knives.

platero
Sep 11, 2001

spooky, but polite, a-hole

Pillbug

Knifegrab posted:

If you are having troubles with connectivity, try forwarding these ports:

TCP: 27014-27050
UDP: 3478, 4379-4380, 27000-27031, 27036

It seems to have alleviated a lot of my connection issues.

I had to forward all of these to get MP to work playing through Steam. I'm so glad it's 2014 and I still get to use old school 90s methods to play games.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I
COD 2 best COD.

zwdzk
Dec 12, 2012

smug
So is the PC multiplayer bad because it's bad or is it bad because of connectivity issues

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH
This is probably the best Call of Duty since COD 4 in terms of fun in multiplayer. The connectivity issues are kinda hit and miss for people, as I haven't had any real issues but other people I know have. Overall I don't regret getting this. Also gently caress playing an FPS on a console.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

zwdzk posted:

So is the PC multiplayer bad because it's bad or is it bad because of connectivity issues

It's bad because it's bad but worse because the connections are also bad.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Rayjenkins posted:

This is probably the best Call of Duty since COD 4 in terms of fun in multiplayer. The connectivity issues are kinda hit and miss for people, as I haven't had any real issues but other people I know have. Overall I don't regret getting this. Also gently caress playing an FPS on a console.

play counter-strike instead

2reachmu
Jul 30, 2005

SA-MART
SUCCESS
STORY

I'm having a weird issue where the game worked on Sunday and Monday. But now on Thursday the game is in a perpetual preload state.

I've deleted and redownloaded the game twice. I'm up to date on the steam client.

Any ideas?

Call of duty seems to bring out all of the weird bugs for me on steam.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

zwdzk posted:

More bad because connectivity issues.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

dreffen posted:

More bad because connectivity issues.

Seems to be the general consensus, I changed my config to have a max ping of 200 and that seems to have helped.

Since this is a PC thread I feel the time has come to post a crappy highlight video starting with my death:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oj4yMriytW0

Are anyone else having issues with supply drops?

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

19 posts and counting guys we can do it!!!!!

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Woo I made it into an OP for some reason :dance:

I've since fixed the texture issue, I already had everything cranked to max, I just bumped up antialiasing or something another notch (no idea why that made textures which had obviously loaded their low res version high)

Having fun with the usual first few days worth of killin', although the match making could use a tweak, nothing better than 4 prestige dudes on the other team versus our 5 < rank 10 players.

I know it was similar in other COD games, but still super frustrating to empty half a magazine into a guys torso, then die... and on his screen he does the same thing but you just stand there with a blank look on your face :bahgawd:

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW
For the record I can't play this game because my graphics card is 5 years old and can't run directx 11. CoD can infact run though on an xbox 360 which was released 9 years ago.

Say what you will about #gamergate, but it really was an indication that the gaming industry is becoming infested with people that don't actually care about gaming and are committed to its destruction. Obviously #gamergate has nothing directly to do with lovely PC support for the new CoD, it is just the canary in the mine with regards to this stuff.

So basically gently caress this gay earth. There is no logical reason why this game should not be able to be played on older graphics cards. I can understand low frame rates, or maybe some graphical glitches, but to simply just straight up not being able to run is just not right.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Apthous posted:

Um

zwdzk
Dec 12, 2012

smug

Apthous posted:

Wait shut up.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

zwdzk posted:

Wait shut up.

Actually it's about ethics, zwdzk.

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW

dreffen posted:

Actually it's about ethics, zwdzk.

No its about a bunch of assholes on both sides of the "debate" acting like children and trying to destroy an industry. Like I said, it is just the canary in the mine. I'm sure there are a bunch of rear end in a top hat lazy programmers that don't feel like coding in lower levels of directx support in the new CoD, or people being pressured by executives to make older cards obsolete.

The real word is "corruption" and it has nothing to do with gaming journalism or feminism or whatever. The gaming industry because of its high level of technical sophistication has largely been immune to a lot of issues regarding corruption, but as it becomes larger and takes in more and more revenue it is bound to attract people that don't really care about it and are either there simply for the money or see it as an easy target to cause problems for people and ruin things.

Apthous fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Nov 7, 2014

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Apthous posted:

No its about a bunch of assholes on both sides of the "debate" acting like children and trying to destroy an industry.

Please shut the gently caress up forever.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Is being an unironic gamergater seriously not bannable?

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW

icantfindaname posted:

Is being an unironic gamergater seriously not bannable?

The shits I give about #lamergate is below zero. The shits I give about not being able to play the new CoD on my 5 year old graphics card is somewhat high.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Apthous posted:

The shits I give about #lamergate is below zero. The shits I give about not being able to play the new CoD on my 5 year old graphics card is somewhat high.

It seems like, overall, you are giving too many shits. Besides the world is doing you a favor by not letting you play Advanced fartfare.

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW

Knifegrab posted:

It seems like, overall, you are giving too many shits. Besides the world is doing you a favor by not letting you play Advanced fartfare.

16 years since the release of Starsiege: Tribes and still not a single FPS that even is worthy the lick the boots of that game.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I have very low IQ because I purchased this game for my personal computer. It keeps crashing my display driver (up to date) and I don't know why.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

NaDy posted:

I have very low IQ because I purchased this game for my personal computer. It keeps crashing my display driver (up to date) and I don't know why.

I guess that's a plus on my end, I haven't had a single crash or anything except a few dropped hosts or whatever in a match

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah it's weird because it doesn't happen regularly. I'll load it up, get in a game then it crashes instantly, load it up again and it doesn't happen again for another 2 hours. Just annoying really.

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

This thread has already exceeded my expectations

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

thank you op i look forward to play call of duty 4: modern warfare 5: advanced warfare :)

live free or dont
Apr 13, 2012
Holy poo poo I almost bought this game for 59,99 European Euros. That was so close.

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

Thank you Grizzlebees... I was hungry.
If anyone is considering buying this for PC and has gamefly, you can get it for a few bucks off if you order it through gamefly and let them send you a steam key.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?
I moved the game to my SSD and steam can't launch it even with a appcache delete lol PC GOTY.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Apthous posted:

No its about a bunch of assholes on both sides of the "debate" acting like children and trying to destroy an industry. Like I said, it is just the canary in the mine. I'm sure there are a bunch of rear end in a top hat lazy programmers that don't feel like coding in lower levels of directx support in the new CoD, or people being pressured by executives to make older cards obsolete.

The real word is "corruption" and it has nothing to do with gaming journalism or feminism or whatever. The gaming industry because of its high level of technical sophistication has largely been immune to a lot of issues regarding corruption, but as it becomes larger and takes in more and more revenue it is bound to attract people that don't really care about it and are either there simply for the money or see it as an easy target to cause problems for people and ruin things.

lol

• Locked thread