Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
If you are on the American side and reading this, then get out you despicable cheater!

ACHTUNG!

Gentlemen, as you know American forces are making rapid progress through France after their landings. We are currently in
the process of pulling back to a defensible line near Falaise however elements of Pz. Lehr are still engaged to our north
and we must hold the roads open for them as long as possible!

Briefing is as follows:

Aerial photo of our objective

-------------------------------------------------------------

Troop List

You have:

3x Infantry Platoons - 3 squads, two HMG's and a couple of anti-tank teams
1x 75mm Light Inf Gun
1x 75mm Anti Tank Gun
1x Mortar platoon
2x Panthers (Early)
2x Forward Observers

Defenses:

10x Sets of foxholes
10x Mixed mines
5x TRP's
10x Barbed wire

Video showing German units

The Map (Open in new tab for huge)

Also some photo's from the ground to illustrate just what a messed up piece of geography this map really is!

North, South, East, West

This map is of course modeled on a real location which can be found on google maps:

Here!

Deployment zones

Orders, what they actually do

Combat mission has a bunch of commands you can give your little men, many thanks to Kangra for his explanations:

Infantry -
Vehicles -

Kangra posted:

I won't be in this match except to watch, but wanted to give something useful: a bit of accumulated knowledge that
details the orders available.

Rather than follow how CM presents them, I've split them up into how commanders in this style of play will use them.
Movement is how you draw your lines on the map, and probably the best to use appropriate colors for if you can. The rest
are effectively non-movement commands that can also be part of an order, or implied by the description of your actions.

MOVEMENT COMMANDS

MOVE - Normal non-combat movement. Units are not expecting to fight, but will maintain awareness just in case.

Infantry: Basically walking. Units will eventually get tired from moving, but remember this is the least tiring
mode of movement.

Vehicles: Moderately slow driving. Typically used when spotting or moving behind the lines and not in any hurry.

QUICK - Faster movement. Awareness is reduced but speed is increased.

Infantry: A jog. Healthy soldiers can keep this up for quite some distance before tiring. If enemy contact is not
expected, or it's important to get in position, it is probably better to go quick and rest at the destination then to use
normal movement the whole way.

Vehicles: Medium speed. Vehicles are slightly more likely to be ambushed in this mode. But then they do get to their
waypoint sooner.

FAST - the fastest possible speed. Best for retreating in a hurry or when covering a short stretch of exposed terrain
that must be crossed.

Infantry: A fast run. Most of the time the enemy is ignored and all efforts are focused on getting to the destination.
This is very tiring and should only be used in a situation where movement is necessary for survival.

Vehicles: Top speed. There's almost no chance of any spotting going on, but anything that's moving faster is also harder
to hit. Useful for rapidly covering distance while not attempting to fight or spot.

SLOW - the slowest possible speed. Typically used to avoid detection.

Infantry: This is crawling. The point of this is to move without being spotted. This is the most tiring movement
mode, and should almost never be used. It's really only of use when sneaking into or out of a well-concealed position,
such as for scouting.

Vehicles: Moving about as fast infantry can walk. So it's good to keep tanks from outpacing infantry, if that's a concern
(usually it isn't). Vehicles can reduce the chance of being detected if they are moving slow.

HUNT - movement in expectation of combat. Fairly slow, and causes the unit to stop immediately upon contact [this means
either spotting an enemy unit or being fired on]. Observation is at a maximum.

Infantry: Use this when moving into known enemy positions, or when it's more important to initiate combat than to arrive
at a particular waypoint.

Vehicles: This is good when not wanting to move too far into unknown territory or when literally hunting for targets.
However, it also means the vehicle has just stopped moving while likely being fired on, and is therefore an easier
target. Probably safest to use when you're confident that your vehicle can take the hits, or that stopping to fire at
any available target is of highest priority. Flushing out infantry is a good example.

REVERSE - for vehicles only. Move in a reverse direction, naturally. Very important for tanks in certain situations to
ensure sensible movement.

Special movement orders [these are really special orders, but are classified as movement]

ASSAULT - Only usable by infantry units of a sufficient size. Performs an automatic 'bounding overwatch' maneuver by
splitting the squad. This cedes more control to the AI, so you're probably better off just handling it on your own.

MARK MINES, BLAST - Only usable for engineers/demo teams. Mark mines makes antipersonnel minefields safer for travel.
Blast is used to blow holes in structures.

Loading/unloading transport - There is no special command for loading or unloading (although see DISMOUNT).
Instead, units are order to move onto or out of a stationary vehicle. Since neither unit can move during this time, and
orders are entered in longer intervals, loading and unloading in this style of play takes even longer than usual.

General notes on movement

All movement orders in CM use a waypoint system. An order is given by selecting a movement mode (one of those above)
and a waypoint, which will be marked as a straight line from the previous waypoint. Any number of waypoints can be used,
each with their own movement mode. On its turn the unit will move from waypoint to waypoint in the desired mode.
Movement does not necessarily follow the straight-line path from waypoint to waypoint
. Units will select their own
best path, and may enter combat while moving as well. Unless a FACE command is given at the waypoint, units will end up
facing in the direction of their movement.

Generally speaking, there is no continuity through waypoints. Each section of the path is treated as its own leg, and the
waypoint must always be touched. This can present a bit of a problem for vehicles trying to navigate a turn. Unless the
difference in direction is slight, a vehicle may well reach a waypoint, stop, and then turn at low speed towards the next
waypoint. It's a bit frustrating, but hopefully your commander can help you smooth out those paths for easier travel.

Example of a good tank movement plot (the first points are reverse, with the last blue line marking facing).

NON-MOVEMENT COMMANDS

Commands that aren't movement are associated with a waypoint, and go into effect when the unit reaches the waypoint.
During the orders phase, some commands can be applied immediately (as if the unit is at a temporary waypoint before
continuing its move). There are others that can be used only if a unit is stationary, meaning they are applied to to
the last point on its path (when it will next be stationary), or immediately if the unit's not moving. A given command
may be combined with some other commands at the same waypoint, but not stacked with another of itself (e.g. you can't
have an order that sets a facing, pauses 1 minute, then adjusts the facing again without moving).

Commands that toggle stay in effect until canceled, but can be canceled automatically by another command or in-game
event. Target commands are functionally toggle commands, as once applied, they remain in effect until changed or
canceled.

FACE - If you're infantry, this is practically the only combat command you need to know. This is technically a defensive
command, as it causes units to expect attacks from the direction faced, and to seek nearby cover. But it also has the
effect of improving observation in the direction being faced.

Tracked vehicles will rotate in position if given a facing order. It's typically better to just be moving in the desired
direction and end up facing the right way.

HIDE [Toggle]- Try to avoid being seen. The unit holds fire and moves into concealment, if possible. Hide commands can
only be issued while stationary.

Infantry will go prone, and if the terrain is any way favorable, that makes them very difficult to spot. It also means
they aren't likely to spot anyone else, however. Vehicles can hide, but it doesn't make them any smaller.

Units may unhide automatically if they take fire, or the unit decides it's under a serious threat.

Unhiding is normally not necessary, as any movement order will cancel a HIDE. It can be used to come out of hiding
without moving.

PAUSE - Pause movement. Adding a pause to a waypoint causes the unit to hold its position in that spot for a specified
amount of time. The amount of time to hold is from 5-90 seconds in 5-second intervals. [Pausing indefinitely is an
option, too, but not necessary in a game run this way.]

This can be used for cautious advancement. Keep in mind that pausing does not mean 'do nothing', it just means, 'don't
move'. Observation and combat can still continue.

OPEN UP [Toggle] - used by tanks to open or close their hatches. When buttoned up, the crew is protected from fire, but
spotting is much worse. Tanks not in combat should usually be open, and might stay that way even in a fight. They do
risk having their commander shot by small-arms fire when open, however.

POP SMOKE - only for units equipped with smoke grenades. Throws/fires a smoke grenade in the unit's current facing. A
FACE command can be used to govern the direction of the throw (but will still cause the unit to change facing).

More specialty commands

DEPLOY WEAPON - deploys a crewed weapon, such as a heavy machine gun. These typically cannot be fired unless deployed,
and cannot be moved unless limbered/undeployed. It also takes time to deploy and undeploy them. As with unhiding,
undeployment occurs automatically when movement orders are issued.

DISMOUNT - dismounts the crew (and any passengers) from a vehicle. Generally not necessary. The crew is needed to
operate the vehicle, and a transported unit disembarks simply by moving away from a stationary vehicle.

BAIL OUT - orders a tank crew to exit the tank. Crews normally will bail out on their own depending on the hit, so it's
rarely necessary to issue this.

ACQUIRE - obtain ammunition while at a supply depot or truck. Used by artillery crews, if by anyone.

TARGETING COMMANDS

The most important thing to remember about targeting is that units will pick targets and engage them on their own.
It is almost never necessary, and usually not advisable, to issue detailed targeting orders. Let the soldiers make the
decision and adjust to the battlefield, only nudging them using combat orders as needed. This is especially true in a
setup like this, where orders are adjusted less often.

TARGET - selects a specific target unit or an area. Don't target a unit unless specifically ordered to. Targeting an
area can have some benefit toward suppression, but remember it's unlikely to actually hit anything. Also, don't use this
command at all -- use TARGET BRIEFLY instead.

TARGET LIGHT - similar to TARGET, but uses a reduced rate of fire, and avoids using heavy weapons like tank guns.
Suitable for harassing fire, if at all.

TARGET BRIEFLY - similar to TARGET, but with a time limit set (in 15-second intervals). This is the one TARGET mode that
expires on its own, which makes it preferable to plain TARGET.

TARGET ARC - Sets an arc (up to and including a circle), and does not fire on any units outside that arc. If given an
arc, the unit will automatically face toward the center of it.

The arc is relative to the unit, and will move with it when the unit moves. This means that if you select an arc that
covers a particular region, and then move, you'll need to adjust the arc to cover the same region.

Arcs should be avoided by infantry, except to ensure that specialty units (e.g. an HQ) doesn't get into combat, or that a
unit avoids giving away its position while the enemy is still at long range. Remember that all TARGET commands stay in
effect until modified, and arcs move with the unit, so circles are safer in this regard.

Vehicles, at least tanks specifically, can gain more benefit from arcs. Selecting an arc will make the tank keep its
turret pointed toward the center of the arc, regardless of the hull facing. That makes it somewhat useful for
anticipating attacks. Although in this case it's often better to use TARGET ARMOR ARC instead.

Here's an example of a tank setting an arc to put its turret in position while moving.

TARGET ARMOR ARC - Same thing as TARGET ARC, but further restricts combat to armored vehicles within the arc. Keeps
tanks from being distracted by small arms fire that likely won't hurt them, and focused on the things that will.

Antitank teams may use this, but it's not strictly necessary -- they tend to have fewer distractions and will definitely
go after a tank within range. One way this can be used is to give an arc to an ambushing AT team. The arc can be set to
make sure they don't fire at a tank until they are at its side or rear, where they'll have a better chance of
penetration.

TARGET SMOKE - Specialty command for units that can direct fire smoke rounds at range (i.e. a tank gun or similar). The
next round fired will be a smoke round at the designated point (or unit, even).

CLEAR TARGET - Cancels all targeting orders and allows the unit to select targets freely.

ADMIN COMMANDS (splitting teams)

An admin command allows squads to split up into teams. This varies by the composition of your force, so consult with
your commander on what's available. Typically units can break off small teams, i.e. for recon or as an AT team, or split
into fire teams.

There is no explicit 're-join squad' command. Squads will automatically rebuild by having the teams move to the same
location and stop for short time (in turns typical of this game, it will be complete by the next orders phase).

Order Format

I would like orders to be done in the following format, with either the header below or a custom one you make up.

1st Platoon, E company shall move quick to the ridgeline then assualt to the building.

Providing a map with the exact positions marked in some way is not 100% necessary but will make me confusing your orders
less likely and will mean your troops end up exactly where you want them to be. Using the correct movement colour would
be amazing, if you can do it – if not, don't worry.

Any questions?

Dark_Swordmaster and his XO. Your first move is to assign units to players and figure out deployment for your forces and
defences

Abongination fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Nov 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

I volunteer for a Panther

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"
I'll take 1 Zug.

---
Maps, links, and other useful poo poo

(bigger)

Gaps and holes:

Orders spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jMlwQlq9Ic4pUHKo21EADlNcTbWxVb609uXtKZWXWHo/edit#gid=0

Roll20: https://app.roll20.net/join/576440/9xG_XQ

Orders banner:

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Nov 15, 2014

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Will that infantry gun be able to knock out a Sherman?

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

dublish posted:

Will that infantry gun be able to knock out a Sherman?

Is it on map or offmap?

If it's on-map, it has 3 HEAT shells that can penetrate a Sherman from the side and rear. They aren't all that accurate, so you have to be within 75 or so to have a hope of getting a hit.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Bacarruda posted:

Is it on map or offmap?

If it's on-map, it has 3 HEAT shells that can penetrate a Sherman from the side and rear. They aren't all that accurate, so you have to be within 75 or so to have a hope of getting a hit.

It's on-map. The video says we've got some off-map 81mm mortars, but everything else is on-map.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

I'll take 2 Zug or the second panther, whichever one needs taking. :)

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

According to the spreadsheet, we've got:

code:
Company Command-  DSM

Infantry Platoon- Valiantman
Infantry Platoon- TehKeen
Infantry Platoon- Bacarruda
Replacement-      dublish

Support Platoon-  markus_cz

Tank-             apseudonym
Tank-             Jobbo_Fett

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Can we move the barbed wire? It isn't doing much good where it is. :(

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug

Bacarruda posted:

Can we move the barbed wire? It isn't doing much good where it is. :(

Haha, I'll have a play around. Is there a way you can set facing on barbed wire cause I was trying to move it and they were just going in all directions.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

I went to load CMBN to look at the map but it looks like my hardware changes blew away my activation and I'm out of them again.

I really dont want to have to through their support again :effort:. Anyone have that gsclean thing they give to deactivate the license? I've still got the game files installed :smith:

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Abongination posted:

Haha, I'll have a play around. Is there a way you can set facing on barbed wire cause I was trying to move it and they were just going in all directions.

You set facing by using one wire's relationship to another piece of barbed wire.

If you put a piece of barbed wire in a tile immediately adjacent to another piece of wire, then that will change the direction of both pieces.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

apseudonym posted:

I went to load CMBN to look at the map but it looks like my hardware changes blew away my activation and I'm out of them again.

I really dont want to have to through their support again :effort:. Anyone have that gsclean thing they give to deactivate the license? I've still got the game files installed :smith:

If you downloaded the game, you can go to your Battlefront.com account, check your recent purchases, get your game key, and then activate the game.

e: for people with the game, the scenario we're playing is the "The Crossroads at Monthardrou" scenario. It's ok to play around with German stuff, but don't go checking the American side of the scenario.

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Nov 7, 2014

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Pillbug
Alright, so we should be able to set wire anywhere we want as long as we can get at least one facing in the correct direction when placed.

Feel free to set them in your defences and we'll do our best to place em properly. You have 10 pieces to place, just updated the OP.

Abongination fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Nov 7, 2014

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe it's
cosmoline.

Oh wow, they're attacking from the valley. The central crossroads has some amazing sightlines, but I guess that'll just make it a huge artillery target, huh?

TehKeen fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Nov 7, 2014

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

dublish posted:

According to the spreadsheet, we've got:

Technically, I'm a tank replacement.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Bacarruda posted:

If you downloaded the game, you can go to your Battlefront.com account, check your recent purchases, get your game key, and then activate the game.

e: for people with the game, the scenario we're playing is the "The Crossroads at Monthardrou" scenario. It's ok to play around with German stuff, but don't go checking the American side of the scenario.

No, my license is out of activations because it counted my recent hardware changes as needing a new activation but I can't deactivate my the version I've got on my drive because Battlefront.

gently caress Battlefront but I keep buying all the CM games.

e: Their download links also expire for some stupid reason in TYOOL 2014, so I have to religiously backup my installers if I want to avoid talking to their helpdesk

apseudonym fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Nov 7, 2014

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe it's
cosmoline.

Does anyone want to bother with a Roll20 setup this time around? I find them to be rather useful.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

TehKeen posted:

Does anyone want to bother with a Roll20 setup this time around? I find them to be rather useful.

It seemed like it worked well in the previous goon games.

Is the dark red deployment area for mines/TRPs only? That depression in the west looks like a good place to advance some infantry so we should do what we can to disrupt a push up that. Mines should help slow them down and give us some warning(I think we hear them going off in the FoW right?)

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe it's
cosmoline.

Out of curiosity - when the map starts will the barbed wire become part of the terrain and immediately visible to the allies or do they need LoS? If the latter, perhaps there is a way to set it up to funnel them into an unexpected ambush.

Also, nearly all of our troops are Veterans, and one of our Panthers is Crack - I hope we get to make good use of it. There are a couple of positions in the back half of the map with excellent sightlines on likely allied approach avenues where we could stick them or the AT gun.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Pillbug

apseudonym posted:

Is the dark red deployment area for mines/TRPs only?

Barbed wire and TRP's only, mines can only be placed in the lighter area.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

TehKeen posted:

Out of curiosity - when the map starts will the barbed wire become part of the terrain and immediately visible to the allies or do they need LoS? If the latter, perhaps there is a way to set it up to funnel them into an unexpected ambush.

Also, nearly all of our troops are Veterans, and one of our Panthers is Crack - I hope we get to make good use of it. There are a couple of positions in the back half of the map with excellent sightlines on likely allied approach avenues where we could stick them or the AT gun.

We want to keep the Panthers at medium range if we can help it, we won't have trouble penetrating American tanks but they will.

Abongination posted:

Barbed wire and TRP's only, mines can only be placed in the lighter area.

Rats, we can still put a mine on that very eastern tip of the depression. If we combine that with a TRP inside it we can drop arty in there if we hear the mines going off on their forward units.

Of course if they avoid that depression we will waste a mine and a TRP, but it seems like a good route for their infantry and I'd surprised if they didn't.

Otherwise for mines we can try and block off choke points and force them to funnel their tanks where we can hit them with our Panthers.

apseudonym fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Nov 7, 2014

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

TehKeen posted:

It's like any fortification, so they need LOS to see it. Looking over the map, there are loads of chokepoints we could block with wire. If they've got any armored cars or jeeps for scouting, wire will stop them, giving us a chance for Panzerschreck/Panzerfaust ambushes.

Plus we can machine-gun and shell their infantry as they fumble trying to pathfind around the wire.

The rest of the chokepoints, we can block with mines.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe it's
cosmoline.

apseudonym posted:

We want to keep the Panthers at medium range if we can help it, we won't have trouble penetrating American tanks but they will.

Both of the locations I found, one for each north and south, are about 800m from the edge of the map with totally concealed flanks. :)

Bacarruda posted:

It's like any fortification, so they need LOS to see it. Looking over the map, there are loads of chokepoints we could block with wire. If they've got any armored cars or jeeps for scouting, wire will stop them, giving us a chance for Panzerschreck/Panzerfaust ambushes.

Plus we can machine-gun and shell their infantry as they fumble trying to pathfind around the wire.

The rest of the chokepoints, we can block with mines.

:getin:

edit: Is DSM going to be doing overall strategy or are they moreso our orders-inputter?

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

TehKeen posted:

Both of the locations I found, one for each north and south, are about 800m from the edge of the map with totally concealed flanks. :)

We'll also want a fixed spot for the ATG

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

TehKeen posted:

edit: Is DSM going to be doing overall strategy or are they moreso our orders-inputter?

Orders-inputter and cameraman. I'm still a team member so I'll weigh in and discuss, but I'm poo poo at higher level strategy than about platoon management.

e: So I'm blind to the Americans. I have no idea what they have or what they're doing. It allows me to have a bias that Grey cannot. You say, "Move up to this spot and try to remain in cover," and I can legitimately try to put you in what I think cover is, not "Well you said cover not low stone wall so this anthill will suffice!" That's also not to say I'll be stealing control. If you tell me to march a squad into an open field and moon the enemy I'll input the command you've ordered. I'll just try to babysit the TacAI a little bit more than Grey might on this.

Also so everyone's aware: I'm in USCentral and work M-F 9-6. I totally don't have the Awful app on my phone and super duper don't check it at work because that would be just a jerk thing of me to do at work. Toooootally. So I'll be able to reply during the day, but pictures/videos/updates will have to wait 'til the evenings. I don't usually do a lot in the evenings but I do occasionally get invited out to go eat or watch a movie or such. I've got PM's if someone needs to contact me on a direct level for some reason.

Dark_Swordmaster fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Nov 7, 2014

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Pillbug

TehKeen posted:

He's pretty much mainly going to be inputting for you guys, you've got a ton of experience on your side so between everyone hopefully you can knock together a cohesive strategy.

Feel free to throw any suggestions you have into the mix, this is a socialist facist army!

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

The Americans requested this, and it was available before the thread split, so you get it too:

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Pillbug

Jaguars! posted:

The Americans requested this, and it was available before the thread split, so you get it too:

Be aware, this map is from a previous goon game so the objectives are different, otherwise it's pretty much the same.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

TehKeen posted:

Yep, there's loads of good ambush spots.

I tooled around with the map and found some good locations for our AT guns, our Panthers, and our infantry gun (which can be used in a direct role). Other people with the game should scout around and see what else they can find.

Southern tank

Northern tank

AT and/or infantry guns sites (might work for mortars and HMGs as well)

A couple of things to consider when siting our AT guns. AT guns work best when firing from camouflaged positions. They're hard enough to spot in the open, they're really hard to spot if they're hidden behind a hedge or in a forest. Our 75mm doesn't have great penetration against Sherman's frontal armor so we'll need to either get fairly close (500m) or get flank shots to make sure we're getting first-round hits and first-hit penetrations.

Our tank sites need to be hull down, have clear escape routes (if the Panthers don't stay mobile, the Americans will just swarm us), and have good flank protection (Panthers have terrible side armor).

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Bacarruda posted:

Yep, there's loads of good ambush spots.

I tooled around with the map and found some good locations for our AT guns, our Panthers, and our infantry gun (which can be used in a direct role). Other people with the game should scout around and see what else they can find.

A couple of things to consider when siting our AT guns. AT guns work best when firing from camouflaged positions. They're hard enough to spot in the open, they're really hard to spot if they're hidden behind a hedge or in a forest. Our 75mm doesn't have great penetration against Sherman's frontal armor so we'll need to either get fairly close (500m) or get flank shots to make sure we're getting first-round hits and first-hit penetrations.

Our tank sites need to be hull down, have clear escape routes (if the Panthers don't stay mobile, the Americans will just swarm us), and have good flank protection (Panthers have terrible side armor).

These look good.

We need to make sure we stay mobile, American's love arty and can call it down much faster than germans/russians. This is mostly for the infantry but the tanks can still get smoked or have module damage.

It is pretty hard to tell from the top down map the avenues of advance they can take with their armor, the South road is an obvious path and the field north of the depression might work for tanks. I can't tell how bad the hedgerows in the south and north are. We should start trying to identify places we can ambush and pull back from without getting caught in the open.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Okay, hello fellow Germans.

I signed up as a support platoon commander because I wanted something smaller than a whole platoon with all its squads... and wow, those platoons are huge. I thought I'd get HMGs but they aren't in a separate platoon so I guess, I'll stick with the forward observers (and mortars?). At least I'll be ready as another replacement if anyone drops or needs help.

markus_cz fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Nov 7, 2014

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Ok, a few things.

I've set up a Roll20 here and an orders spreadsheet here.

Dark_Swordmaster, how active are you going to be as a company commander? Are you going to be issuing orders or are you going to just input the orders. Either one is cool, I'm just trying to get a feel for our command structure. I think it'd be good to have someone with final say on our plan, even with lots of thread input.

As we put together our battle plan, we need to consider the following:

-Strategy and doctrine: What is our concept of operations (hit-and-run, defense in depth, etc.)? What's going to be the core of our defense (tanks, artillery, etc.)? Where will our center of gravity be (forward defense vs. rear defense, etc.)?
-Terrain analysis: Key defensive positions (how we can exploit them and how the Americans might try to neutralize them), likely enemy attack routes, chokepoints, paths we can use to redeploy, etc.
-Deployment: Where we're going to put our tanks, infantry, and artillery and how they're going to support each other. Mutually-supporting positions are going to be key on this map.
-Fires: How are we going to use our artillery? (i.e. direct lay vs indirect fires, where we put TRPs and FOs, etc.)
-Engineering: Based on our terrain analysis and our plan, where will we put mines, wire, and foxholes?

Here's a rough defensive scheme:

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Bacarruda posted:

Ok, a few things.

I've set up a Roll20 here and an orders spreadsheet here.

Dark_Swordmaster, how active are you going to be as a company commander? Are you going to be issuing orders or are you going to just input the orders. Either one is cool, I'm just trying to get a feel for our command structure. I think it'd be good to have someone with final say on our plan, even with lots of thread input.

As we put together our battle plan, we need to consider the following:

-Strategy and doctrine: What is our concept of operations (hit-and-run, defense in depth, etc.)? What's going to be the core of our defense (tanks, artillery, etc.)? Where will our center of gravity be (forward defense vs. rear defense, etc.)?
-Terrain analysis: Key defensive positions (how we can exploit them and how the Americans might try to neutralize them), likely enemy attack routes, chokepoints, paths we can use to redeploy, etc.
-Deployment: Where we're going to put our tanks, infantry, and artillery and how they're going to support each other. Mutually-supporting positions are going to be key on this map.
-Fires: How are we going to use our artillery? (i.e. direct lay vs indirect fires, where we put TRPs and FOs, etc.)
-Engineering: Based on our terrain analysis and our plan, where will we put mines, wire, and foxholes?

Here's a rough defensive scheme:

hit and run is going to be important for us since we're outnumbered and we have hedgerows. If we play our cards right we can pull a few ambushes on the Americans before needing to defend the objective proper.

I'll take a stab at the map tomorrow and try and think of some mine locations. We have enough TRPs that I think we can do mostly indirect fires, how long is the FO call in time of our motors on a TRP?

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

That map is too dark and confusing for me - I can't even see the hedges.

Hopefully this will be a bit more helpful:

EDIT: There is a "horizontal" dirt road in the NW corner that has a small hedge and a brilliant view across the valley on the approaching Americans. Nice spot for a HMG and a forward observer - though I expect the Americans will be crossing the valley northwards by the western hedge to attack anything we will have placed here.

markus_cz fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Nov 7, 2014

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.
Just replying that I'm present and ohdearIhavethe3rdplatoonandallthosesupportelements ready to repel some yanks. I will be spending pretty much the entire tomorrow away from home, though, so feel free to devise a general strategy for me, too. Like it says in the spreadsheet, I'm probably the greenest guy here, not actually owning the full game. No worries, though, I'm frustratingly detail-oriented sometimes, so I will be asking if I don't understand something.

Such as: how does the wire work game-mechanically? Completely impassable to all but tracked vehicles and perhaps engineers?

way late edit: If I remember it right, there an awesome hull-down overwatch position somewhere around C12. Can't check since I have no archives but I vaguely remember us sticking a tank or two there in the previous game with this map. Except we seem to have forest there this time around. Huh.

Valiantman fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Nov 7, 2014

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Bacarruda posted:

For company command mostly just inputting orders. After watching your amazing work last game there's no way I could compete. :worship:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
So are the Americans going to be able to spawn anywhere on the entire left side of the map or just that top corner at Les Crieres? I would assume we know neither.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

So are the Americans going to be able to spawn anywhere on the entire left side of the map or just that top corner at Les Crieres? I would assume we know neither.

I'm fairly sure it's just the blue shaded area.

Abongination posted:

Deployment zones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Valiantman posted:

I'm fairly sure it's just the blue shaded area.

Just saw the deployment map, whoops!

That makes it incredibly easy to figure out where those tanks will go... E: Where our tanks will go to overwatch, to be clear.

• Locked thread