Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I honestly haven't watched a new episode of the Simpsons on purpose in 15 years. When I have seen an episode it feels as though they take the plot misdirection tactic too seriously and extend it through the whole episode. By the end of the show, I can't even recall what it was about or what the plot was because it jumped from idea to idea to idea. Completely unmemorable and unfunny.

On a side note, anyone else here forbidden from watching the Simpsons when they were kids because Bart was a bad influence?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I used to have a job that involved sitting around watching local channels on tv via antenna a lot (downtime). Sometimes the Simpsons would come on and I'd be remotely excited because hey, better than another fake courtroom show or whatever, and what seemed like almost every loving week it'd be that stupid episode about the giant tree or whatever and it's like oh boy time for another rerun of another Lisa is a Hippie episode and I'd get mad and go sweep the floor or something instead. I haven't bothered watching it since.

I'm sure there's a lot of good ones I am forgetting / have never seen but seeing that episode so many times just ruined it forever for me.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

modern simpsons is as bad as modern family guy

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I saw a newish tree house of horror episode with a Strangers on a Train parody. It wasn't bad.

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO

You forgot the blink+nod

Schlub Husband
Jan 13, 2008

*hic*
Lipstick Apathy

Kikka posted:

You forgot the blink+nod

gif form

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Seasons 2-10 are the only good ones

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
:gas:

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler

Tarkus posted:

On a side note, anyone else here forbidden from watching the Simpsons when they were kids because Bart was a bad influence?

I was forbidden because of that episode in the first or second season where homer's picture was taken with the exotic dancer. Was pretty edgy content for its time...

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
Ren & Stimpy seems to have gone downhill after season two.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
The last really good Simpsons episode was The Debarted, and I think that was what, season 18 or 19?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i can't stop thinking about the jury of the damned in Treehouse of Horror IV, specifically the 1975-76 Philadelphia Flyers

brilliant stuff

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I love the treehouse of horror that parodied child's play with an evil crusty doll.

"Marge, the doll's trying to kill me and the toaster's been laughing at me!"

"Ah, here's your problem. Someone set this doll to 'evil.'"

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
No one ever says Italy...

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Cause the greatest nation on earth is either Mexico or Portugal!

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001
LORD PALMERSTON!!!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
The Simpsons isn't as bad as you people say it is. It's just a TV show, Jesus Christ get over it. It's moderately entertaining, which is the best any show can hope for.

adamarama
Mar 20, 2009
I agree OP, season 8 is the best. It's got Grimes, Scorpio, chilli cook off, Mr sparkle, pretzels, john, poochie, and dignity. Troy's my fav character though, futurama had zapp as a cheap imitation and it was still great.

Bob Saget IRL
Oct 24, 2014

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

The Simpsons isn't as bad as you people say it is. It's just a TV show, Jesus Christ get over it. It's moderately entertaining, which is the best any show can hope for.

That was the point of of this thread; to talk about the good stuff that still exists. What are some good examples of such? You didn't just post to be contradictory did you?

Bob Saget IRL
Oct 24, 2014

adamarama posted:

I agree OP, season 8 is the best. It's got Grimes, Scorpio, chilli cook off, Mr sparkle, pretzels, john, poochie, and dignity. Troy's my fav character though, futurama had zapp as a cheap imitation and it was still great.

I forgot Grimes I'd that season too.

I think Zapp was written specifically for hartman, and they almost took the character out after he died. I'm glad they didn't though. It's not Phil, but the guy did pretty darn well.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Maybe it's moderately entertaining compared to generic murder investigation cop show #4465, but compared to how it used to be, calling it "moderately entertaining" is being far too generous.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

When a show has a (deserved and earned) reputation as one of the funniest and most formative Television shows of all time a drop down to "moderately entertaining" is almost more devastating than if it went to utter poo poo and died an inglorious death since at least then the nightmare would be over. As it stands it's like watching a zombified corpse and that's hard when you loved the person that corpse used to be.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

the simpsons has never been funny its safe crap for boring people

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

david... posted:

the simpsons has never been funny its safe crap for boring people

now adventure time, on the other hand,

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer
This was recent and pretty good:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m78gYyTrG7Y

The Simpsons isn't nearly as good as it used to be but its def gotten better recently

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Jimong5 posted:

The Simpsons isn't nearly as good as it used to be but its def gotten better recently

that was cool but it was done by an artiste, not the simpsons staff or writers

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Kittle posted:

gif form

The animation became as static and lifeless as the writing long ago, which isn't really shocking for a show that's been going for over two and a half decades. I still watch it just to kill twenty minutes here and there, but I honestly can't remember any episodes from the past dozen seasons or so; they're all just so bland and boring.

Jimong5 posted:

Ironically, that couch gag is literally Don Hertzfeldt pointing out exactly what the show has become (a lifeless Flanderized shadow of its former self that only exists because Fox isn't done squeezing the last dregs of money out of it yet).

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Bob Saget IRL posted:

That was the point of of this thread; to talk about the good stuff that still exists. What are some good examples of such? You didn't just post to be contradictory did you?

Heavens forfend. The last Simpsons episode I say was the Family Guy Crossover, and I enjoyed the many callbacks.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

i just watched season 9 episode "trash of the titans" today. it has the trappings of a terrible season 23 episode - ham-fisted guest stars (u2) and homer inexplicably ending up as sanitation commissioner (how unrealistically wacky) and an equally implausible deus ex machina ending in the last 30 seconds, but yet, it was at least 100x better than any recent episode i've seen.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Jimong5 posted:

The couch gags of the last few years really don't count because they farm them out to "famous" third party names like Bansky or Bill Plympton. The fact that the best idea they've had in the last decade was to let other people run hog wild with the Simpsons concept in non-continuity short films should be a giant neon flag how creatively bankrupt this series is.

Absalom Baird
Jul 13, 2010
The one w Rodney dangerfield is drat hilarious

Just throwin that out there

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007

LifeSizePotato posted:

i just watched season 9 episode "trash of the titans" today. it has the trappings of a terrible season 23 episode - ham-fisted guest stars (u2) and homer inexplicably ending up as sanitation commissioner (how unrealistically wacky)

that wasn't inexplicable. he ran for the position based on crazy promises and won the election.

inexplicable is when homer becomes a world cup referee because fifa officials saw a youtube video of an 8 year old talking about how much she loves her dad

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Shasta Orange Soda posted:

that wasn't inexplicable. he ran for the position based on crazy promises and won the election.

inexplicable is when homer becomes a world cup referee because fifa officials saw a youtube video of an 8 year old talking about how much she loves her dad

okay, good point. "unrealistic" i guess is what i was going for.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

download the mr plow on media pee to pee transfer kazaa

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Absalom Baird posted:

The one w Rodney dangerfield is drat hilarious

Just throwin that out there

That one really should be poo poo but Dangerfield Dangerfielding the gently caress out of his lines saves it. Plus the Yale officials scene.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008
I thought a thread about sardines was loving crazy, but actually this is the stupidest loving thread on GBS.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
i have never watched a single episode of the simpson OP

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

a starwar betamax posted:

i have never watched a single episode of the simpson OP

If you live in an English speaking nation you've absorbed enough simpson by osmosis that you've seen a dozen episodes or so at the very least.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Modern Day Hercules posted:

If you live in an English speaking nation you've absorbed enough simpson by osmosis that you've seen a dozen episodes or so at the very least.

this is why ive never bothered to watch it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Bob Saget IRL posted:

That image is from an episode where Homer says something is his life long dream, but Marge protests that his dream was to run on the field during a baseball game and they cut to that photo. Funny episode. I think season 5.

it was the monorail episode

• Locked thread