Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Has there ever been a couch gag where there was no gag? Like they just run onto the couch completely normally?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Simpsons stopped being good when the guest stars starting voicing themselves instead of original characters.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

TheJoker138 posted:

Has there ever been a couch gag where there was no gag? Like they just run onto the couch completely normally?

According to this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_The_Simpsons_couch_gags

The first aired episode at least did not have one.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

TheJoker138 posted:

Yeah, it happens at least once.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

I remember watching a bunch of old episodes recently and just cracking up because of that guy's voice who commentated the space shuttle launch in Deep Space Homer.

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

mind the walrus posted:

That one really should be poo poo but Dangerfield Dangerfielding the gently caress out of his lines saves it. Plus the Yale officials scene.

Yale could use an international airport mr. Burns

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Hank Scorpio ep might be the best one out of every single one

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Booourns posted:

Simpsons stopped being good when the guest stars starting voicing themselves instead of original characters.

I dunno the Homerpalooza episode was really good and it had famous people in it. B-Real from Cypress Hill making an announcement that if the lost child is not claimed the child becomes property of Blockbuster Entertainment always makes me laugh.

I'm not even sure why anyone who liked the show back in the 90s would watch it today because absolutely none of the original writers are involved. It would be like listening to a band even after they changed every single one of their members. It is not the same band any longer.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
It's easy to turn old classic Simpsons into modern Simpsons by overexplaining jokes and adding pop culture references.

*monorail speeds by*
Marge: We're too late!
Monorail designer guy: I'm sorry, I shouldn't have stopped for that haircut.
Marge: I told you you!! It took 25 minutes! Why did you insist?
Guy: I saw Robin Thicke on the cover of US Weekly and I couldn't resist, I had to have that style.
Marge: Grr...

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I'm not even sure why anyone who liked the show back in the 90s would watch it today because absolutely none of the original writers are involved. It would be like listening to a band even after they changed every single one of their members. It is not the same band any longer.

Al Jean, the current showrunner, also ran the show during seasons 3 and 4.

Bob Saget IRL
Oct 24, 2014

a starwar betamax posted:

i have never watched a single episode of the simpson OP

You're a liar. LIAR.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

The Monkey Man posted:

Al Jean, the current showrunner, also ran the show during seasons 3 and 4.

Is it worth watching now though? Honest question.

Also all the money Sam Simon made from the show is going to animal charity which is all sorts of :3:

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
Season 19 was my all time fav

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

eat my sharts op

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

Tarkus posted:

On a side note, anyone else here forbidden from watching the Simpsons when they were kids because Bart was a bad influence?

I thought it kinda weird that Bart being disrespectful to his father by telling Homer to "eat my shorts" was something people actually petitioned to have the show cancelled over while Homer being an abusive dad who strangled his own child on a regular basis went completely ignored.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
homer in season 1 and to a lesser extent 2 was an abusive rear end in a top hat who would have raised majorly mentally defective children

season 3-7 homer instead raised a petty criminal in bart and an sjw in lisa

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Three points that I've probably made in other Simpsons threads
1) Simpsons turned to poo poo when people who watched the show as kids got old enough to write for it; it's like trying to copy a copy, the result is a shittier version of the original
2) Simpsons got even worse when Schwartzwelder stopped being the main writer for scripts. Nearly every show that is classic Simpsons and universally loved had him as a main contributor
3) At this point I don't hate Simpsons, I mourn it. I was a kid back when the original shorts started, so I was the perfect age for it (just like people who were around Andy's age when Toy Story came out and essentially grew up with him). Years ago it just became a hollow shell, and it's really just like watching my grandmother slowly succumb to alzheimer

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

season 9 update: the episode about the carnies is also excellent. i'm thinkin season 9 is easily in the "classic" stretch.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

LifeSizePotato posted:

season 9 update: the episode about the carnies is also excellent. i'm thinkin season 9 is easily in the "classic" stretch.

no

even 8 is already showing some pretty major problems

Bipedal Octopus
Feb 11, 2008
Those who do not know how to gleek will never know what it means to be alive
My controversial opinion: Homerpalooza was the worst episode from the good years of The Simpsons. Second place might be Sideshow Bob's Last Gleaming. Seasons 2-9 were really excellent and deserving of all the praise and fond memories that people give them, but there were still a few duds mixed in with the gold.

The episode where Homer goes to college is probably the best half hour of TV that I've ever seen.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
mr plow and the sexual harassment episode are the ones that leap to mind as great to me but the glory years were so good there wasn't much separating any given handful of episodes

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

For me, the good seasons are 1-9 and 11. 11 gets in because of the Behind the Laughter episode.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Booourns posted:

So, season 2?

generative grammer
Jul 28, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I havent watched the simpsons since season 15.
Has there literally been any content since then?

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

ban anyone who thinks these are funny

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

LifeSizePotato posted:

ban anyone who thinks these are funny

um i am pretty sure 'niger' is an advanced comedy phrase

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Bipedal Octopus posted:

My controversial opinion: Homerpalooza was the worst episode from the good years of The Simpsons. Second place might be Sideshow Bob's Last Gleaming. Seasons 2-9 were really excellent and deserving of all the praise and fond memories that people give them, but there were still a few duds mixed in with the gold.

The episode where Homer goes to college is probably the best half hour of TV that I've ever seen.

I can see what you're saying and generally agree with "Homerpalooza", especially since it plays in hindsight like a blueprint for many of the more terrible latter-day episodes, but even with that it's still got some good lines and moments. You're absolutely wrong about "Sideshow Bob's Last Gleaming", which features some really outlandish poo poo but still holds together in a way that most later episodes don't.

If you're looking for a true clunker in the classic years of the Simpsons (I count Seasons 3-8) look at "Saturdays of Thunder", which plays out like a leftover Season One script peppered with a few good punch-up jokes just as the writers were going into their prime. "Bart the Murderer", "Lisa the Greek", and "Flaming Moe's" also have massive problems, but they still work and can be excused since they're all Season 3.

"Duffless", "Brother from the Same Planet", "So it's come to this: A Simpsons Clip Show", "Sweet Seymour Skinner's Baadasssss Song", and "Lisa the Vegetarian" are all weaker episodes along with "Homerpalooza" from Seasons 4-7, which are drat-near bulletproof otherwise. "Lisa's Date with Density", "The Springfield Files", "Simpsoncalifragilisticexpiala(Annoyed Grunt)cious", "Homer vs. the Eighteenth Ammendment", "Mountain of Madness", and "In Marge We Trust" are all examples from Season 8 of just how far down the tubes the show was going to fall, although even in every single one of those there are still at least one or two really good jokes.

Bipedal Octopus
Feb 11, 2008
Those who do not know how to gleek will never know what it means to be alive

mind the walrus posted:

I can see what you're saying and generally agree with "Homerpalooza", especially since it plays in hindsight like a blueprint for many of the more terrible latter-day episodes, but even with that it's still got some good lines and moments. You're absolutely wrong about "Sideshow Bob's Last Gleaming", which features some really outlandish poo poo but still holds together in a way that most later episodes don't.

If you're looking for a true clunker in the classic years of the Simpsons (I count Seasons 3-8) look at "Saturdays of Thunder", which plays out like a leftover Season One script peppered with a few good punch-up jokes just as the writers were going into their prime. "Bart the Murderer", "Lisa the Greek", and "Flaming Moe's" also have massive problems, but they still work and can be excused since they're all Season 3.

"Duffless", "Brother from the Same Planet", "So it's come to this: A Simpsons Clip Show", "Sweet Seymour Skinner's Baadasssss Song", and "Lisa the Vegetarian" are all weaker episodes along with "Homerpalooza" from Seasons 4-7, which are drat-near bulletproof otherwise. "Lisa's Date with Density", "The Springfield Files", "Simpsoncalifragilisticexpiala(Annoyed Grunt)cious", "Homer vs. the Eighteenth Ammendment", "Mountain of Madness", and "In Marge We Trust" are all examples from Season 8 of just how far down the tubes the show was going to fall, although even in every single one of those there are still at least one or two really good jokes.

I think maybe I'm hard on Sideshow Bob's Last Gleaming because it fares so poorly compared to other Sideshow Bob episodes like Black Widower and Cape Feare. I'm trying to think of some gags from that episode that made me laugh but I'm coming up blank... uhh... maybe Krusty's improvised show from the tool shed?

Saturday's of Thunder was pretty weak for a season 3 episode and could have definitely benefited from a B story but I've never heard anyone say a bad word about Flaming Moe's :stonk:

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
Am I the only one who could tell op was in his thirties just from the opening paragraph? He sounds like a dad trying to sound cool to teenagers.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I just learned about this episode from a youtube comment the other day and laughed out loud that they basically retconned all of the first 10 seasons of the show's flashbacks. I thought the youtube commenter was joking
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/That_%2790s_Show

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
anyone who didn't learn to ignore retcons didn't see the principal and the pauper

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

beep by grandpa posted:

I just learned about this episode from a youtube comment the other day and laughed out loud that they basically retconned all of the first 10 seasons of the show's flashbacks. I thought the youtube commenter was joking
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/That_%2790s_Show

that one was really terrible. young homer will always be an early 70s loser rockin out to steve miller

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Neurosis posted:

anyone who didn't learn to ignore retcons didn't see the principal and the pauper

that one's not as big of a deal as people make it out to be imho

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

beep by grandpa posted:

that one's not as big of a deal as people make it out to be imho

yes principal skinner's whole character and the many flashbacks turning into something absurd isn't silly

good point beep by grandpa

edit: nice sonic avatar

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

Neurosis posted:

yes principal skinner's whole character and the many flashbacks turning into something absurd isn't silly

good point beep by grandpa

edit: nice sonic avatar

Both Harry Shearer and Matt Groening really hated that episode. I was okay with it until the awful copout ending, I don't care that it was the entire point

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
for instance principal skinner not understanding 'up with miniskirts' because of his awkward '50s morality

nah, that was bullshit... he was a slick dude who had 20 girls back home

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I forgot about that part. cheapens the big reveal one episode a while back about skinner being a virgin

also the avatar should tell you i'm mostly numb to disappointment far into a franchise's lifetime :tipshat:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Bipedal Octopus posted:

I think maybe I'm hard on Sideshow Bob's Last Gleaming because it fares so poorly compared to other Sideshow Bob episodes like Black Widower and Cape Feare. I'm trying to think of some gags from that episode that made me laugh but I'm coming up blank... uhh... maybe Krusty's improvised show from the tool shed?

Saturday's of Thunder was pretty weak for a season 3 episode and could have definitely benefited from a B story but I've never heard anyone say a bad word about Flaming Moe's :stonk:

Sideshow Bob's Last Gleaming has R. Lee Ermy doing his thing as an Air Force Colonel, "My children are in there! "You must be very proud ma'am.", Homer driving over the spike strips, Sideshow Bob going for that "retro feel" and using an expired A-Bomb from the mid-50s instead of a newer one, the Wright Bros. plane being used in a chase with the supersonic jet pilots having to get out and walk on foot chasing it. There's good poo poo in that episode.

Flaming Moe's is just weak to me because it was the first blueprints for the "some wacky thing upends the status quo of the Simpsons life, forcing celebrity cameos and a classic rags-to-riches story, ultimately boomeranging back to the status quo by episode's end with some weak emotional hook." It's still got amazing stuff like Frink analyzing the drink and finding the secret ingredient is "love", but I just think that in hindsight it's more of a ominous portent of the laziness that'd take over the show than it is a bonafide classic in the way the three episodes straight after it are ("Burns Verkaufen der Kraftwerk", "I Married Marge", and "Radio Bart"), much in the same way "Homerpalooza" is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

• Locked thread