Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spider Helidon
Nov 4, 2010

by XyloJW
yeah let's have a wacky field trip or something every other episode instead of divining natural comedy from the office environment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW
The British officer was clearly bitter.

Absalom Baird
Jul 13, 2010
*skips entire thread*

hmm that's a controversial opinion OP

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

Mange Mite posted:

also it was definitely a trendsetter in terms of bringing cringe comedy to the mainstream, and helped pave teh way for stuff like extras

I don't think cringe comedy is or will ever be mainstream because it is not funny.

Further, having watched The 40-Year-Old Virgin, The Office, Seeking a Friend for the End of the World among others, I am now convinced that Steve Carell is pure anti-comedy. He makes it his mission to find potentially amusing or entertaining scenarios and ruin the living Hell out of them like a relative who keeps bringing up Jesus because no one is as religious as they are after their third trip to rehab following a near-death experience. I'm not saying he's bad at being a humorless, out-of-touch man who continually makes soulful expressions. I'm saying he is not funny and will continue not being funny since he can make money at it.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Suicide Sam E. posted:

I don't think cringe comedy is or will ever be mainstream because it is not funny.

Further, having watched The 40-Year-Old Virgin, The Office, Seeking a Friend for the End of the World among others, I am now convinced that Steve Carell is pure anti-comedy. He makes it his mission to find potentially amusing or entertaining scenarios and ruin the living Hell out of them like a relative who keeps bringing up Jesus because no one is as religious as they are after their third trip to rehab following a near-death experience. I'm not saying he's bad at being a humorless, out-of-touch man who continually makes soulful expressions. I'm saying he is not funny and will continue not being funny since he can make money at it.

well mainstream uk, not america

i agree on teh steve carell thing though he is a bad actor

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Suicide Sam E. posted:

it's mainstream in the way that wacky ironic mustaches are mainstream

barfoid 4
Aug 21, 2014

by XyloJW
I like the American office, and I like the in betweeners and peep show. The British office is utter SHITE. OP

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

steve carrell owns

Ave Azaria
Oct 4, 2010

by Lowtax

opus111 posted:

the pilot for curb was 1999 and the office was 2001

Larry Sanders Show, 1992

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Gervais is a funny guy, but his greatest gift to the world is Karl Pilkington. Thank you, Ricky Gervais.

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

Mange Mite posted:

well mainstream uk, not america

i agree on teh steve carell thing though he is a bad actor

In "The Incredible Burt Wonderstone" he portrays a bad actor. Not much of a stretch for Carell but at least the plot was tailored for him.

All said, I think the British Office was better in being original and in having the decency to run for fewer episodes.

American Dwight is a funny and wacky creepy guy, British Gareth is much more like an actual office creepy guy.

The American Office was better if you like sitcoms (and wacky, implausible circumstances and the sitcom formula).

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

I wish British office was in its 15th season and big Keith was getting a spinoff

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Jerry Mumphrey posted:

I wish British office was in its 15th season and big Keith was getting a spinoff

:agreed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkYUDQCYGHA

adamarama
Mar 20, 2009
Slough is a genuine shithole. How is Scranton? I mean it sounds like scrotum but I've never been there.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
I liked the part where michael scott was like "hey let me know if this goes to tv" or some poo poo

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
haha it was 'meta' as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
They were both good, I think

• Locked thread