Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Twitch posted:

These kinds of threads always present a false dichotomy. If I wasn't reading the forums or playing video games, I'd probably just be staring at a wall, or at best watching Youtube videos of people from the forums playing video games.

That and the real world is no more real by the "just bits and bytes" point of view (talk is just air vibrations, sight is just light bouncing off objects, etc). Really it's just (much) more than what can be emulated right now. I'd have to guess in the future, no one will leave their houses ever, when computers and virtual reality are so powerful that there would be no reason to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisGuy
Aug 16, 2014

This Fuckin' Guy
I dunno. Brain in a vat arguments aside, I'd like to believe that there's something inherently more satisfying about being outside than in our oculus rift, teledildonics future

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Nigga I'm sick as hell I got an excuse.
Watched Snowpiercer last night.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

ThisGuy posted:

I dunno. Brain in a vat arguments aside, I'd like to believe that there's something inherently more satisfying about being outside than in our oculus rift, teledildonics future

Me too because I love the outdoors TBH (even though I am a huge computer nerd). I just think at some point virtual reality isn't going to be just simulating sight and sound (like the Rift), but also touch (including weather, temperature, etc), taste and smell. Maybe by reproducing those senses or by directly manipulating the brain and tricking it in to sensing.

Amateur Saboteur
Feb 5, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
did you know experiments have shown that peacocks will flock to a piece of wood with a shitton of feathers over another real life peacock, really makes u think

Creed Reunion Tour
Jul 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Grimey Drawer
is this the real life

yoyodyne
May 7, 2007
I would probably read more books if it weren't for SA. Alos, I'm gay

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

captainoblivious posted: