Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ardennes
May 12, 2002

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

The rightward lean is pretty obvious, just look at the state's tax system. The most regressive in the country to an almost shocking degree even before you get into the fact that it's supposed to be a "blue state".

Yeah, and it is likely to stay that way. I like Washington state and Seattle, but I like the way Oregon does things better even if it takes a bit longer to get our poo poo together.

I hopefully we keep on following Washington State's more positive examples not its lesser ones. The way liquor privatization worked was ridiculous and ended up more expensive than Oregon's state system unless you went to a Costco, the company which pushed privatization in the first place. At least privatization Oregon has cooled a bit for now, but we'll see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
I used to read Hedges a while back. The way in which I understood him to mean "fascism" had less to do with corporate control and more to do with the reactions along with it. He covered it pretty well in his book called American Fascists that had a lot to do with Christian Evangelicalism and the religious right, which displayed more traits of the usual kinds of ur-fascism, like anti-intellectualism and such.

But he then takes that and just runs with it into the rest of his writing beyond that point; so anyone who is reading his stuff in order sees where he is coming from, but anyone else who reads them out of order begins questioning his semantics.

• Locked thread