Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

slightly hung over so i picked up some breakfast burritos from a local hole in the wall mexican place. cant tell what kind of meat this is but the salsa is rly good. share your breakfast burrito stories here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ballistics statistics
Nov 27, 2003

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

When I worked construction, I ate breakfast burritos from the food truck in the mornings. Those were some drat good burritos.

Rickycat
Nov 26, 2007

by Lowtax

you got options

Topographic Nap
Apr 22, 2007

Ive said it before but the $1 bfast burrito at McDs owns

Observe Me
Jan 21, 2006

I know shits bad right now with all that starving bullshit and the dust storms and we are running out of french fries and burrito coverings. But I got a solution!

Rickycat posted:

you got options

Taco bell breakfast is tasty, but it gives you immediate diarrhea, also you will probably die 5 years later, so its not a good payoff

Absalom Baird
Jul 13, 2010
that waffle taco seems like such a good idea but it's executed v poorly in my opinion

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Rickycat posted:

you got options

i considered it but then i found this other place down the street

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Absalom Baird posted:

that waffle taco seems like such a good idea but it's executed v poorly in my opinion

It's the eggo, really takes it down a few notches.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
gotta get spicy mustard on em, that poo poo real good

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
Scrambled eggs, bacon, cheese, hashbrowns, maybe some green onion or cilantro, put some cholula on there, good to go.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
cook bacon, fry potatoe in bacon fat cut up bacon sprinkle back onto crispy potatoe add eggs then some cheddar. put in a tortilla

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

Scrambled eggs, bacon, cheese, hashbrowns, maybe some green onion or cilantro, put some cholula on there, good to go.
cumin :cripes: you cant forget the cumin

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

El Estrago Bonito posted:

gotta get spicy mustard on em, that poo poo real good

i like spicy mustard but that sounds weird

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I make pretty good breakfast burritos with egg, peppers, onion, ham, and salsa. If I'm feeling greasy I'll lightly fry them in a bit of olive oil after I wrap them up

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
if i ever want to find out what just egg tastes like ill try your guys breakfast burritos

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

SpicyMeatSandwich posted:

Ive said it before but the $1 bfast burrito at McDs owns

its hard to beat whats basically a full breakfast for a single dollar yea

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

gary oldmans diary posted:

if i ever want to find out what just egg tastes like ill try your guys breakfast burritos

dude gross

PixieDreamGirl
Apr 29, 2014

2014; The year I whored myself out for title changes.

Yo, I don't care what y'all do,how y'all do or where y'all do it, just keep it gangsta and never pay for an av change, have someone else do it- Ya boy Pixie
As a Mexican I feel anger when a Machaca is never mentioned anytime a goon makes a burrito thread!
THIS IS NOW A MACHACA APPRECIATION THREAD! THIS BURRITO IS THE BREAKFAST OF THE FIELD WORKERS, GUARANTEED TO KEEP YOU OUT IN THE FIELDS TILL THE MASTER SAYS IT'S TIME TO WASH THE PRODUCE AND GO HOME.

You can get a Machaca at every hole in the wall Mexican place big or small. Just use the special password we mexicans have been using for generations, "I have a Gun". Just say that password and you'll get a Machaca!

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Introduction

Breakfast Burrito is a Legacy combo deck that wins games on turn 1 more frequently than anything else in the format. It's ideal if you like crushing victory, disappointing defeat, and a long break between your matches at a tournament. Playing the deck means understanding which hands to keep and how to survive various types of disruption. Part 1 of this primer explains how the combo works, Part 2 discusses why I chose this win condition, Part 3 discusses various builds and sideboarding, and Part 4 goes into detail on how to play. Understand the best deck for your metagame before you begin playtesting.

Part 1: How the Combo Works

Here is my current build of Breakfast Burrito tuned for the Magic Online metagame.

The Combo:
4 Balustrade Spy
4 Undercity Informer
3 Narcomoeba
2 Bridge from Below
2 Cabal Therapy
1 Dread Return
1 The Mimeoplasm
1 Triskelion
1 Lord of Extinction

Mana Production:
4 Lotus Petal
4 Chrome Mox
4 Elvish Spirit Guide
4 Simian Spirit Guide
4 Summoner's Pact

Mana Improvement:
4 Dark Ritual
4 Cabal Ritual
4 Manamorphose
2 Tinder Wall
2 Grim Monolith
1 Wild Cantor

Protection:
4 Pact of Negation

Sideboard:
1 Giant Solifuge
1 Narcomoeba
1 Serra Avatar
4 Leyline of Sanctity
4 Chancellor of the Annex
4 Leyline of the Void

This is a combo deck with no lands and cards from all five colours. The key combo piece is either Undercity Informer or Balustrade Spy. Use your fast mana to get 3B as soon as possible, play one of these creatures and put your library into your graveyard. Put three Narcomoeba into play, flashback Cabal Therapy to discard any win conditions still in your hand or force your opponent to discard counterspells, and use Dread Return to reanimate the "win". The current win condition is to reanimate The Mimeoplasm, exiling Triskelion and Lord of Extinction, for a creature that can shoot the opponent to death with its 50 or more +1/+1 counters.

A mulligan decision for this deck begins by checking whether you can win immediately. Any hand with a grinder (Balustrade Spy or Undercity Informer) that can reach 3B is keepable; hands with a grinder and almost that much mana are fine. You'll need Dread Return, Cabal Therapy, and the three creatures in your graveyard eventually, so you can't try to go off with two of those in your hand. Extra mana to cast Cabal Therapy from your hand is great, but don't go off a turn later just to cast the Therapy. Pact of Negation is relevant against Force of Will decks, but you should not mulligan a turn-1 win because it has no protection. When looking at hands of 5 or less you should be less choosy, but it's better to have a grinder and a small mana deficit than enough mana and no grinder. Don't try to win with a hardcast Lord of Extinction unless you are certain this play is safe against your opponent.

Your goal is to reach 3B mana and cast a grinder to begin the combo. Lotus Petal, Chrome Mox, either Spirit Guide, or Summoner's Pact can begin this mana chain. Summoner's Pact can find Elvish Spirit Guide for a free G or Wild Cantor to turn green or red mana into black. In addition to 20 cards that can produce mana, 12 cards produce additional mana to reach 3B. Manamorphose should always be used to produce BG, unless you have a Cabal Therapy and enough extra rituals to cast it before going off.

When exiling cards to Chrome Mox, never exile your Wild Cantor, Dread Return, or other win condition. If you have extra mana to Cabal Therapy, name Force of Will against an unknown deck. Before your opponent's first turn, Force of Will and Surgical Extraction are the only widely-played cards that can interact with Breakfast Burrito. If your opponent has an island in play, try to play around Daze by having an extra mana to produce if necessary, but Force of Will is still your primary concern. The two Bridge from Below allow you to win with two creatures by flashing back Cabal Therapy, and adds resilience against Lightning Bolt trying to kill your guys.

With this sideboard, bring in the Giant Solifuge every time to beat opponents who may side in Leyline of Sanctity. Chancellor of the Annex is best against an opponent that will try to bring in any graveyard hate that costs more than zero mana. Leyline of Sanctity is to disrupt opponents with discard spells, and Pact of Negation stays in against counterspells. . Bring in Serra Avatar, Angel of Glory's Rise, and Azami against Show and Tell; you can drop Balustrade Spy against SnT and survive your next draw step, and if Serra Avatar happens to be in your hand it attacks before Griselbrand or Emrakul. Remove at most 2 Grim Monolith and 2 Tinder Wall from the fundamental build of the deck. Use both Giant Solifuge and Triskelion if your opponent has Elephant Grass as well as Leyline of Sanctity.

Part 2: Various Win Conditions
There are no bulletproof win conditions for this deck. Every build is vulnerable to multiple copies of Swords to Plowshares because they can simply exile your Narcomoebas, but the build with 2 Bridge from Below and 3 Narcomoeba is safer against other removal. Here are five possible win conditions, ranked from best to worst:

The Mimeoplasm, Lord of Extinction, Triskelion/Giant Solifuge
Underworld Cerberus, Laboratory Maniac, Street Wraith
Angel of Glory's Rise, Azami Lady of Scrolls, Laboratory Maniac
Karmic Guide, Kiki-jiki Mirror Breaker, Zealous Conscripts
Sutured Ghoul, Dragon's Breath
Angel of Glory's Rise, Fiend Hunter

Here's a chart of obstacles that each variant can win through:

1 removal spell 2 removal spells Eldrazi/Progenitus Moat effects Opponent has shroud Opponent has shroud and removal
Underworld Cerberus W W W W W L
The Mimeoplasm W W W W L L
Angel, 3 cards W L W W W W
Karmic Guide L L W W W L
Sutured Ghoul L L W L W L
Angel, 2 cards L L L W L L

The new Underworld Cerberus win condition can beat removal spells with Cabal Therapy, and if the opponent still has one removal spell, waiting until the next draw step and cycling Street Wraith in response to removal targeting Lab Maniac. It is very vulnerable to an opponent running Swords to Plowshares and Leyline of Sanctity, but very few decks run both of these cards. If someone in your local metagame has removal spells in the maindeck or sideboard and Leyline of Sanctity in their sideboard, I recommend using The Mimeoplasm as your win condition. The Underworld Cerberus build is slightly more consistent because Street Wraith can be cycled out of the opening hand and Laboratory Maniac doesn't need to be discarded to go off.

With the new card Spirit of the Labyrinth seeing some play, I've decided to go back to the Mimeoplasm win condition as the official recommended one. Whether you choose that one or Cerberus, be sure you practice enough with it to understand the differences between playing the two.

A Triskelion with 50 +1/+1 counters wins against anything except certain enchantments (Leyline of Sanctity, Solitary Confinement) that rarely see maindeck play. After the first game I may side out Triskelion for Giant Solifuge, causing my opponent's 4 Leyline of Sanctity to become virtually blank cards. This build also has the rare chance of winning by hardcasting The Mimeoplasm or Lord of Extinction, something which never happens in an Angel of Glory's Rise build.

The Angel of Glory's Rise, Azami, Laboratory Maniac win condition is popular because it doesn't require any interaction with the opponent. Azami taps to draw a card, and if the opponent tries to kill Laboratory Maniac, he draws another card in response. At this point it loses to a second removal spell, so this combo is weaker in the games that you can't go off immediately. Because many Legacy decks have cheap removal and no maindecks Leyline of Sanctity, I believe this win condition is slightly worse than The Mimeoplasm.

The Karmic Guide win condition involves bringing Karmic Guide, then Kiki-Jiki, and cloning Karmic Guide to bring back Zealous Conscripts and make an infinite number of hasty 3/3 Humans. It can grab an Elephant Grass or Moat and win where other attacking strategies couldn't. However, it is easily disrupted and I strongly recommend against it.

Some players have proposed using Sutured Ghoul and Dragon Breath for an attack with a 30/30 Haste, Trample creature. Unlike Giant Solifuge this monster does not have Shroud, so it cannot safely win the game. A two-card combo is slightly more likely to go off, but the ease of disruption makes it too risky to play.

Angel of Glory's Rise alongside Fiend Hunter makes a complicated combo to empty your opponent's library. When the Angel returns all Humans from your graveyard to play, this includes Fiend Hunter, 4 Undercity Informer and 1 Wild Cantor. Exile the Angel with Fiend Hunter and then sacrifice him to Undercity Informer to mill your opponent a bit. Repeat until your opponent has no cards in their library. Unfortunately this combo loses to a single removal spell, or the mere presence of an Eldrazi anywhere in your opponent's deck. Don't play it.

Part 3: Various Builds
There are notable absences from my recommended decklist, such as:

0 Gitaxian Probe
0 Living Wish
0 Lion's Eye Diamond
0 Chancellor of the Tangle

Mathematically speaking, a build with Gitaxian Probe and Street Wraith is more likely to win from any given hand of 7 cards. However, these cards do not provide relevant information for a mulligan decision. Consider the following hand:

Balustrade Spy
Lotus Petal
The Mimeo plasm
Triskelion
Gitaxian Probe
Gitaxian Probe
Street Wraith

The "free" cards provide no information about whether we should mulligan this hand. Our next three draws might include mana, or might give us a third win condition (forcing us to discard down to 7 just to be able to combo off). My goldfish testing found that "Cycling: 2 life" muddies mulligan decisions more than it enables fast wins. Looking at our opponent's hand isn't very useful, because if we see a Force of Will, we lose anyway, and nothing changes.

The Underworld Cerberus kill has a single Street Wraith as part of its win condition. This Street Wraith replaces an essentially dead card like Lord of Extinction, so it's better than nothing even though it's worse than more ramp effects.

Living Wish and Lion's Eye Diamond may be combined in a build that has a better chance of finding a grinder. The problem is that either of these cards is weak on its own, and you rarely have 6 mana to Living Wish for a grinder and win. A Living Wish build can only have 7 grinders in the maindeck, and my testing shows that this tradeoff is not worth the access to Living Wish.

Chancellor of the Tangle has the problem of requiring an immediate win when this deck often wins on the second turn. A hand with a grinder and 3 mana is perfectly keepable, but a 3-mana hand with Chancellor of the Tangle is bad. Tinder Wall and Grim Monolith are not ideal because they produce the wrong kind of mana in multiples, but they are still better than Chancellor of the Tangle.

Sideboarding
The sideboard for this deck is a difficult decision, because the core of the deck requires a no-land build. I don't think Nature's Claim or other removal is worth trying against graveyard hate, in my experience the chance that I have the spare mana is too low. Here are two interesting alternative win conditions:

4 Dark Depths
4 Vampire Hexmage
4 Serum Powder
3 Wild Cantor

4 Goblin Charbelcher
4 Lion's Eye Diamond
4 Serum Powder
2 Grim Monolith
1 Serra Avatar

I prefer to protect the core of my combo, but you may try one of these combinations in certain metagames. The alternate win conditions are much less likely to go off on the first turn, and the Dark Depths combo exists, but if everyone plays too much graveyard hate to win games 2 or 3 you can try an alternative plan. Here's a card-by-card breakdown of my sideboard:

1 Giant Solifuge
I side this in to replace Triskelion. I've often had an opponent smugly drop Leyline of Sanctity and immediately die to my 59/56 trampling creature.

1 Narcomoeba
In case your opponent has many exile-based removal spells, you can bring in an extra Narcomoeba to avoid the problem of getting 2 exiled with Swords to Plowshares (or 1 exiled and 1 in your hand) and finding yourself unable to win.

1 Serra Avatar
Side in this card against Show and Tell decks. If it's in your library, you can safely land an uncounterable Balustrade Spy off Show and Tell and mill yourself to 1 card left. If it's in your hand, your opponent is forced to block the 20/20 Serra Avatar or die, so it removes their Emrakul or Griselbrand. I used to have Worldspine Wurm in this position, but with Street Wraith gone there is no way this deck has a lower life total than Show and Tell.

4 Leyline of the Void
Dredge decks have heavy Cabal Therapy disruption and speed, while Reanimator has good disruption, so we play Leyline to help those matchups. It isn't necessary to mulligan for the Leyline. Choose a hand that either cripples the opponent or wins the game in a hurry.

Some decks that can't interact with us normally bring in Grafdigger's Cage or Rest in Peace to disrupt our combo, bring this in to slow them down. If your metagame has a lot of counterspells and discard, play this in the main instead of Pact of Negation.

4 Leyline of Sanctity
Use this against decks with discard spells like Thoughtseize and Hymn to Tourach. Against decks with discard and counterspells, remove 2 Tinder Wall and 2 Grim Monolith to run maximum disruption. If your metagame has extremely heavy discard, play this instead of Pact of Negation in the main.

Part 4: Advanced Play
Taking a mulligan decision is most of the game for this deck. If you have a Balustrade Spy or Undercity Informer (a "burrito"), look at your hand and plan out a line of play that can win the game. If you can win the game on the first turn, or reasonably expect to draw a card that lets you do that, keep the hand. If you know your opponent's decklist, take into account cards like Force of Will, Stifle, Counterspell, Thoughtseize, Gaddock Teeg, and so on. The best plan against Force of Will is to run your combo into it and hope they don't have it, but don't give the opponent time to Brainstorm and hope to find it. Against other cards, weigh the chance of being disrupted by your opponent versus the chance of taking a mulligan to a faster hand.

Calculating your chance of drawing a certain card is a decision that should also be made, usually, in the mulligan stage of the game. If you're one card short of going off, it's often correct to keep a hand and hope to draw that card.

A good approximation for the percent chance of drawing a card is to double the number of that card left in your deck and subtract 1/18th of the new number. When there are 52 cards left, double the number and subtract 1/24th of the new number. When there are 51 cards left, double the number and subtract 1/50th, and when there are 50 cards left simply double the number. Doing long division by hand is discouraged at Magic tournaments.

Here's a table of types of cards you might need to go off, and how many are in the deck. Remember to subtract any copies existing in your hand before making calculations.

Fast mana sources: 20
Green fast mana: 8 (from Pact)
Red fast mana: 4
Lotus Petal: 4
Chrome Mox: 4
Add mana: 32
Dark Ritual: 4
Cabal Ritual: 4
Tinder Wall: 2
Grim Monolith: 2
Fix mana: 17
Manamorphose: 4
Wild Cantor: 5 (from Pact)
Grinder: 8
Chrome Mox imprint: 50
Exiles to Mox: 46

Playing the deck is a matter of trying to run out the combo as quickly as possible, and every game will end almost exactly the same way. If it's possible, cast a Cabal Therapy targetting your opponent before casting the main combo piece, but that's usually not possible. Name the card most likely to disrupt your combo, which against an unknown deck will be Force of Will. Look at your opponent's hand to figure out what deck they're playing.

Avoid casting Summoner's Pact when it isn't necessary, as this will backfire lethally if a later spell gets countered. Remember that it can find Elvish Spirit Guide to get mana, Tinder Wall to turn G into RR, or Wild Cantor to turn R/G into any colour. The current build of the deck has no red Rituals, so Manamorphose should usually produce one black and one green mana.

If an opponent plays a seriously disruptive card like Gaddock Teeg or Rest in Peace, this deck has no permanent removal. That's why it's important to race these cards rather than trying to outplay them. If your opponent is unfamiliar with your deck, you may get a chance to go off when they leave an opening, but don't count on it.

Against an opponent with no removal, you can play an Undercity Informer with a Chrome Mox in play, and then activate his ability during your main phase on the next turn. Against an unknown deck this is not advisable, as they might have a removal spell.

There many subtle tricks you can use to try and make an opponent counter an unimportant spell or to save yourself from casting a Pact when unnecessary. At this point, the best thing you can do is shuffle up the deck and playtest.

Addendum: Burrito on a Budget

This deck costs roughly $250 to assemble, making it one of the cheaper Legacy decks. If you'd like to make it even less expensive, you can safely make the following changes:

-2 Grim Monolith
+2 Tinder Wall

Sideboard
-4 Leyline of Sanctity
+4 Faerie Macabre

These changes will save $80, at the cost of some consistency and a weaker matchup against discard and combo decks. You can run the deck with 4 Chancellor of the Tangle instead of Chrome Mox, but I guarantee that it will be much weaker and this should only be a stopgap while you plan to buy the 4 Chrome Mox soon.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Chamale posted:

Introduction

Breakfast Burrito is a Legacy combo deck that wins games on turn 1 more frequently than anything else in the format. It's ideal if you like crushing victory, disappointing defeat, and a long break between your matches at a tournament. Playing the deck means understanding which hands to keep and how to survive various types of disruption. Part 1 of this primer explains how the combo works, Part 2 discusses why I chose this win condition, Part 3 discusses various builds and sideboarding, and Part 4 goes into detail on how to play. Understand the best deck for your metagame before you begin playtesting.

Part 1: How the Combo Works

Here is my current build of Breakfast Burrito tuned for the Magic Online metagame.

The Combo:
4 Balustrade Spy
4 Undercity Informer
3 Narcomoeba
2 Bridge from Below
2 Cabal Therapy
1 Dread Return
1 The Mimeoplasm
1 Triskelion
1 Lord of Extinction

Mana Production:
4 Lotus Petal
4 Chrome Mox
4 Elvish Spirit Guide
4 Simian Spirit Guide
4 Summoner's Pact

Mana Improvement:
4 Dark Ritual
4 Cabal Ritual
4 Manamorphose
2 Tinder Wall
2 Grim Monolith
1 Wild Cantor

Protection:
4 Pact of Negation

Sideboard:
1 Giant Solifuge
1 Narcomoeba
1 Serra Avatar
4 Leyline of Sanctity
4 Leyline of the Void

This is a combo deck with no lands and cards from all five colours. The key combo piece is either Undercity Informer or Balustrade Spy. Use your fast mana to get 3B as soon as possible, play one of these creatures and put your library into your graveyard. Put three Narcomoeba into play, flashback Cabal Therapy to discard any win conditions still in your hand or force your opponent to discard counterspells, and use Dread Return to reanimate the "win". The current win condition is to reanimate The Mimeoplasm, exiling Triskelion and Lord of Extinction, for a creature that can shoot the opponent to death with its 50 or more +1/+1 counters.

A mulligan decision for this deck begins by checking whether you can win immediately. Any hand with a grinder (Balustrade Spy or Undercity Informer) that can reach 3B is keepable; hands with a grinder and almost that much mana are fine. You'll need Dread Return, Cabal Therapy, and the three creatures in your graveyard eventually, so you can't try to go off with two of those in your hand. Extra mana to cast Cabal Therapy from your hand is great, but don't go off a turn later just to cast the Therapy. Pact of Negation is relevant against Force of Will decks, but you should not mulligan a turn-1 win because it has no protection. When looking at hands of 5 or less you should be less choosy, but it's better to have a grinder and a small mana deficit than enough mana and no grinder. Don't try to win with a hardcast Lord of Extinction unless you are certain this play is safe against your opponent.

Your goal is to reach 3B mana and cast a grinder to begin the combo. Lotus Petal, Chrome Mox, either Spirit Guide, or Summoner's Pact can begin this mana chain. Summoner's Pact can find Elvish Spirit Guide for a free G or Wild Cantor to turn green or red mana into black. In addition to 20 cards that can produce mana, 12 cards produce additional mana to reach 3B. Manamorphose should always be used to produce BG, unless you have a Cabal Therapy and enough extra rituals to cast it before going off.

When exiling cards to Chrome Mox, never exile your Wild Cantor, Dread Return, or other win condition. If you have extra mana to Cabal Therapy, name Force of Will against an unknown deck. Before your opponent's first turn, Force of Will and Surgical Extraction are the only widely-played cards that can interact with Breakfast Burrito. If your opponent has an island in play, try to play around Daze by having an extra mana to produce if necessary, but Force of Will is still your primary concern. The two Bridge from Below allow you to win with two creatures by flashing back Cabal Therapy, and adds resilience against Lightning Bolt trying to kill your guys.

With this sideboard, bring in the Giant Solifuge every time to beat opponents who may side in Leyline of Sanctity. Chancellor of the Annex is best against an opponent that will try to bring in any graveyard hate that costs more than zero mana. Leyline of Sanctity is to disrupt opponents with discard spells, and Pact of Negation stays in against counterspells. . Bring in Serra Avatar, Angel of Glory's Rise, and Azami against Show and Tell; you can drop Balustrade Spy against SnT and survive your next draw step, and if Serra Avatar happens to be in your hand it attacks before Griselbrand or Emrakul. Remove at most 2 Grim Monolith and 2 Tinder Wall from the fundamental build of the deck. Use both Giant Solifuge and Triskelion if your opponent has Elephant Grass as well as Leyline of Sanctity.

Part 2: Various Win Conditions
There are no bulletproof win conditions for this deck. Every build is vulnerable to multiple copies of Swords to Plowshares because they can simply exile your Narcomoebas, but the build with 2 Bridge from Below and 3 Narcomoeba is safer against other removal. Here are five possible win conditions, ranked from best to worst:

The Mimeoplasm, Lord of Extinction, Triskelion/Giant Solifuge
Underworld Cerberus, Laboratory Maniac, Street Wraith
Angel of Glory's Rise, Azami Lady of Scrolls, Laboratory Maniac
Karmic Guide, Kiki-jiki Mirror Breaker, Zealous Conscripts
Sutured Ghoul, Dragon's Breath
Angel of Glory's Rise, Fiend Hunter

Here's a chart of obstacles that each variant can win through:

1 removal spell 2 removal spells Eldrazi/Progenitus Moat effects Opponent has shroud Opponent has shroud and removal
Underworld Cerberus W W W W W L
The Mimeoplasm W W W W L L
Angel, 3 cards W L W W W W
Karmic Guide L L W W W L
Sutured Ghoul L L W L W L
Angel, 2 cards L L L W L L

The new Underworld Cerberus win condition can beat removal spells with Cabal Therapy, and if the opponent still has one removal spell, waiting until the next draw step and cycling Street Wraith in response to removal targeting Lab Maniac. It is very vulnerable to an opponent running Swords to Plowshares and Leyline of Sanctity, but very few decks run both of these cards. If someone in your local metagame has removal spells in the maindeck or sideboard and Leyline of Sanctity in their sideboard, I recommend using The Mimeoplasm as your win condition. The Underworld Cerberus build is slightly more consistent because Street Wraith can be cycled out of the opening hand and Laboratory Maniac doesn't need to be discarded to go off.

With the new card Spirit of the Labyrinth seeing some play, I've decided to go back to the Mimeoplasm win condition as the official recommended one. Whether you choose that one or Cerberus, be sure you practice enough with it to understand the differences between playing the two.

A Triskelion with 50 +1/+1 counters wins against anything except certain enchantments (Leyline of Sanctity, Solitary Confinement) that rarely see maindeck play. After the first game I may side out Triskelion for Giant Solifuge, causing my opponent's 4 Leyline of Sanctity to become virtually blank cards. This build also has the rare chance of winning by hardcasting The Mimeoplasm or Lord of Extinction, something which never happens in an Angel of Glory's Rise build.

The Angel of Glory's Rise, Azami, Laboratory Maniac win condition is popular because it doesn't require any interaction with the opponent. Azami taps to draw a card, and if the opponent tries to kill Laboratory Maniac, he draws another card in response. At this point it loses to a second removal spell, so this combo is weaker in the games that you can't go off immediately. Because many Legacy decks have cheap removal and no maindecks Leyline of Sanctity, I believe this win condition is slightly worse than The Mimeoplasm.

The Karmic Guide win condition involves bringing Karmic Guide, then Kiki-Jiki, and cloning Karmic Guide to bring back Zealous Conscripts and make an infinite number of hasty 3/3 Humans. It can grab an Elephant Grass or Moat and win where other attacking strategies couldn't. However, it is easily disrupted and I strongly recommend against it.

Some players have proposed using Sutured Ghoul and Dragon Breath for an attack with a 30/30 Haste, Trample creature. Unlike Giant Solifuge this monster does not have Shroud, so it cannot safely win the game. A two-card combo is slightly more likely to go off, but the ease of disruption makes it too risky to play.

Angel of Glory's Rise alongside Fiend Hunter makes a complicated combo to empty your opponent's library. When the Angel returns all Humans from your graveyard to play, this includes Fiend Hunter, 4 Undercity Informer and 1 Wild Cantor. Exile the Angel with Fiend Hunter and then sacrifice him to Undercity Informer to mill your opponent a bit. Repeat until your opponent has no cards in their library. Unfortunately this combo loses to a single removal spell, or the mere presence of an Eldrazi anywhere in your opponent's deck. Don't play it.

Part 3: Various Builds
There are notable absences from my recommended decklist, such as:

0 Gitaxian Probe
0 Living Wish
0 Lion's Eye Diamond
0 Chancellor of the Tangle

Mathematically speaking, a build with Gitaxian Probe and Street Wraith is more likely to win from any given hand of 7 cards. However, these cards do not provide relevant information for a mulligan decision. Consider the following hand:

Balustrade Spy
Lotus Petal
The Mimeo plasm
Triskelion
Gitaxian Probe
Gitaxian Probe
Street Wraith

The "free" cards provide no information about whether we should mulligan this hand. Our next three draws might include mana, or might give us a third win condition (forcing us to discard down to 7 just to be able to combo off). My goldfish testing found that "Cycling: 2 life" muddies mulligan decisions more than it enables fast wins. Looking at our opponent's hand isn't very useful, because if we see a Force of Will, we lose anyway, and nothing changes.

The Underworld Cerberus kill has a single Street Wraith as part of its win condition. This Street Wraith replaces an essentially dead card like Lord of Extinction, so it's better than nothing even though it's worse than more ramp effects.

Living Wish and Lion's Eye Diamond may be combined in a build that has a better chance of finding a grinder. The problem is that either of these cards is weak on its own, and you rarely have 6 mana to Living Wish for a grinder and win. A Living Wish build can only have 7 grinders in the maindeck, and my testing shows that this tradeoff is not worth the access to Living Wish.

Chancellor of the Tangle has the problem of requiring an immediate win when this deck often wins on the second turn. A hand with a grinder and 3 mana is perfectly keepable, but a 3-mana hand with Chancellor of the Tangle is bad. Tinder Wall and Grim Monolith are not ideal because they produce the wrong kind of mana in multiples, but they are still better than Chancellor of the Tangle.

Sideboarding
The sideboard for this deck is a difficult decision, because the core of the deck requires a no-land build. I don't think Nature's Claim or other removal is worth trying against graveyard hate, in my experience the chance that I have the spare mana is too low. Here are two interesting alternative win conditions:

4 Dark Depths
4 Vampire Hexmage
4 Serum Powder
3 Wild Cantor

4 Goblin Charbelcher
4 Lion's Eye Diamond
4 Serum Powder
2 Grim Monolith
1 Serra Avatar

I prefer to protect the core of my combo, but you may try one of these combinations in certain metagames. The alternate win conditions are much less likely to go off on the first turn, and the Dark Depths combo exists, but if everyone plays too much graveyard hate to win games 2 or 3 you can try an alternative plan. Here's a card-by-card breakdown of my sideboard:

1 Giant Solifuge
I side this in to replace Triskelion. I've often had an opponent smugly drop Leyline of Sanctity and immediately die to my 59/56 trampling creature.

1 Narcomoeba
In case your opponent has many exile-based removal spells, you can bring in an extra Narcomoeba to avoid the problem of getting 2 exiled with Swords to Plowshares (or 1 exiled and 1 in your hand) and finding yourself unable to win.

1 Serra Avatar
Side in this card against Show and Tell decks. If it's in your library, you can safely land an uncounterable Balustrade Spy off Show and Tell and mill yourself to 1 card left. If it's in your hand, your opponent is forced to block the 20/20 Serra Avatar or die, so it removes their Emrakul or Griselbrand. I used to have Worldspine Wurm in this position, but with Street Wraith gone there is no way this deck has a lower life total than Show and Tell.

4 Leyline of the Void
Dredge decks have heavy Cabal Therapy disruption and speed, while Reanimator has good disruption, so we play Leyline to help those matchups. It isn't necessary to mulligan for the Leyline. Choose a hand that either cripples the opponent or wins the game in a hurry.

Some decks that can't interact with us normally bring in Grafdigger's Cage or Rest in Peace to disrupt our combo, bring this in to slow them down. If your metagame has a lot of counterspells and discard, play this in the main instead of Pact of Negation.

4 Leyline of Sanctity
Use this against decks with discard spells like Thoughtseize and Hymn to Tourach. Against decks with discard and counterspells, remove 2 Tinder Wall and 2 Grim Monolith to run maximum disruption. If your metagame has extremely heavy discard, play this instead of Pact of Negation in the main.

Part 4: Advanced Play
Taking a mulligan decision is most of the game for this deck. If you have a Balustrade Spy or Undercity Informer (a "burrito"), look at your hand and plan out a line of play that can win the game. If you can win the game on the first turn, or reasonably expect to draw a card that lets you do that, keep the hand. If you know your opponent's decklist, take into account cards like Force of Will, Stifle, Counterspell, Thoughtseize, Gaddock Teeg, and so on. The best plan against Force of Will is to run your combo into it and hope they don't have it, but don't give the opponent time to Brainstorm and hope to find it. Against other cards, weigh the chance of being disrupted by your opponent versus the chance of taking a mulligan to a faster hand.

Calculating your chance of drawing a certain card is a decision that should also be made, usually, in the mulligan stage of the game. If you're one card short of going off, it's often correct to keep a hand and hope to draw that card.

A good approximation for the percent chance of drawing a card is to double the number of that card left in your deck and subtract 1/18th of the new number. When there are 52 cards left, double the number and subtract 1/24th of the new number. When there are 51 cards left, double the number and subtract 1/50th, and when there are 50 cards left simply double the number. Doing long division by hand is discouraged at Magic tournaments.

Here's a table of types of cards you might need to go off, and how many are in the deck. Remember to subtract any copies existing in your hand before making calculations.

Fast mana sources: 20
Green fast mana: 8 (from Pact)
Red fast mana: 4
Add mana: 32
Dark Ritual: 4
Cabal Ritual: 4
Tinder Wall: 2
Grim Monolith: 2
Fix mana: 17
Manamorphose: 4
Wild Cantor: 5 (from Pact)
Grinder: 8
Chrome Mox imprint: 50
Exiles to Mox: 46

Playing the deck is a matter of trying to run out the combo as quickly as possible, and every game will end almost exactly the same way. If it's possible, cast a Cabal Therapy targetting your opponent before casting the main combo piece, but that's usually not possible. Name the card most likely to disrupt your combo, which against an unknown deck will be Force of Will. Look at your opponent's hand to figure out what deck they're playing.

Avoid casting Summoner's Pact when it isn't necessary, as this will backfire lethally if a later spell gets countered. Remember that it can find Elvish Spirit Guide to get mana, Tinder Wall to turn G into RR, or Wild Cantor to turn R/G into any colour. The current build of the deck has no red Rituals, so Manamorphose should usually produce one black and one green mana.

If an opponent plays a seriously disruptive card like Gaddock Teeg or Rest in Peace, this deck has no permanent removal. That's why it's important to race these cards rather than trying to outplay them. If your opponent is unfamiliar with your deck, you may get a chance to go off when they leave an opening, but don't count on it.

Against an opponent with no removal, you can play an Undercity Informer with a Chrome Mox in play, and then activate his ability during your main phase on the next turn. Against an unknown deck this is not advisable, as they might have a removal spell.

There many subtle tricks you can use to try and make an opponent counter an unimportant spell or to save yourself from casting a Pact when unnecessary. At this point, the best thing you can do is shuffle up the deck and playtest.

Addendum: Burrito on a Budget

This deck costs roughly $250 to assemble, making it one of the cheaper Legacy decks. If you'd like to make it even less expensive, you can safely make the following changes:

-2 Grim Monolith
+2 Tinder Wall

Sideboard
-4 Leyline of Sanctity
+4 Faerie Macabre

These changes will save $80, at the cost of some consistency and a weaker matchup against discard and combo decks. You can run the deck with 4 Chancellor of the Tangle instead of Chrome Mox, but I guarantee that it will be much weaker and this should only be a stopgap while you plan to buy the 4 Chrome Mox soon.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

TheRatboyGenius posted:

As a Mexican I feel anger when a Machaca is never mentioned anytime a goon makes a burrito thread!
THIS IS NOW A MACHACA APPRECIATION THREAD! THIS BURRITO IS THE BREAKFAST OF THE FIELD WORKERS, GUARANTEED TO KEEP YOU OUT IN THE FIELDS TILL THE MASTER SAYS IT'S TIME TO WASH THE PRODUCE AND GO HOME.

You can get a Machaca at every hole in the wall Mexican place big or small. Just use the special password we mexicans have been using for generations, "I have a Gun". Just say that password and you'll get a Machaca!

Holy gently caress! I just had 12 heart attacks just looking at that! I am a shameful Hispanic and can say that I've never had one. I shall kill myself now. Right after another heart attack.

PixieDreamGirl
Apr 29, 2014

Yo, I don't care what y'all do,how y'all do or where y'all do it, just keep it gangsta and never pay for an av change, have someone else do it- Ya boy Pixie

Wamdoodle posted:

Holy gently caress! I just had 12 heart attacks just looking at that! I am a shameful Hispanic and can say that I've never had one. I shall kill myself now. Right after another heart attack.

You want a heart attack? I'll give you a heart attack served with a cup of guac and salsa to match!

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

It took me years to realize that a breakfast burrito isn't just scrambled eggs, American cheese, and sausage in a flour tortilla, but is in fact a spinoff of Mexican cuisine.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Hell yeah Santiago b'fast b'ritos

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Squiggle posted:

Hell yeah Santiago b'fast b'ritos
got a big rear end bag full this morning. currently have a mouthful of 1/2 and 1/2 pork sausage

Ghaz
Nov 19, 2004

TheRatboyGenius posted:

u feel angry when goons dont know the mexican word for breakfast burritos? u need to learn to control your spicy latin temper senor

PixieDreamGirl
Apr 29, 2014

Ghaz posted:

u feel angry when goons dont know the mexican word for breakfast burritos? u need to learn to control your spicy latin temper senor

No, it's not that they don't know the word lol, it was never about the word? Machaca's and Burrito's are two different things. Now it's about the word!!

PixieDreamGirl
Apr 29, 2014

Now all you goons got me hungry for a burrito. I was to lazy to go out and buy one, and I was pretty sure I did't have ingredients in my house to make one. Behold! The Frankenstein Breakfast Burrito! It's breakfast wrapped up in a spinach tortilla
+Scrambled Eggs +Baked Shredded Chicken +Guac +Salsa +Cheese +Your daily recommended amount of Fiber

Ghaz
Nov 19, 2004

TheRatboyGenius posted:

No, it's not that they don't know the word lol, it was never about the word? Machaca's and Burrito's are two different things. Now it's about the word!!

looks like un burro to me

PixieDreamGirl
Apr 29, 2014

Ghaz posted:

looks like un burro to me

Your face looks like un burro to me

Goodtime Pancreas
May 31, 2007
Do chorizo burritos count as breakfast burritos? They would put egg in them in Arizona I think.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i just have an aspirin and a caffeine pill for breakfast

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Ghaz posted:

i think machaca is kind of like this shredded beef jerky thing idk though maybe it means different things in different places

the kidn im thinking of is pretty great though. ive also seen it mixed with eggs in burritos for maximum breakfastness

The Science of Suck
Mar 17, 2009
aw yeah this has all the potential for an epic pyf thread

The Science of Suck
Mar 17, 2009
pyf dick shaped food to ram down your fat gullet till you choke

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

breakfast tacos > breakfast burritos

and this is coming from a burrito lover

PixieDreamGirl
Apr 29, 2014

neato burrito posted:

breakfast tacos > breakfast burritos

and this is coming from a burrito lover

Disgusting, it looks like I would still be hungry afterwards. Am I right guys?

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed
i actually like, tacos, more than burritos, but all the americanized burrito places, the burrito or burrito bol gets you more food and they skimp when it comes to tacos. also, their ingredients tend to work better for burritos

but at taco trucks and stuff tacos are usually pretty beast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

making GBS threads out the breakfast burrito now

• Locked thread