Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

:frogsiren: Latest update: Episode 25: Kolok Tower :frogsiren:

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword is the fifth and currently most recent entry in the 3D console Zelda saga. It was released for the Nintendo Wii in 2011 and could be considered the swan song of the console. Intended to reinvent the 3D Zelda formula, Skyward Sword is one of the most divisive games in the series. Some people laud the beautiful presentation and involving combat while others deride the game for its slow pace and sometimes unresponsive controls.

The story of Skyward Sword starts out on Skyloft, a small island eternally floating high above the clouds. The Goddess Hylia sent Skyloft to the sky a long time ago to protect her people from the great evil that roamed the surface. In the present, we find the earliest known incarnation of Link to be living on Skyloft. He's a student at the Knight Academy but also a bit of an oaf. He likes to sleep in late and doesn't appear to take his education all that seriously. Sadly, that lifestyle can't last forever as Link is in for a rude awakening. While flying around the clouds one day, Link's childhood friend Zelda is whisked away to the surface by a powerful storm. Link soon discovers that both he and Zelda are destined to take part in a grand adventure that will decide the fate of the World. Will the great evil that terrorizes the surface be put to an end, or will it be free to conquer the land without contention?

In a lot of ways Skyward Sword is a departure from the 3D Zelda games that came before it. Combat is now entirely centered around using the Wiimote to make precise slashes with your sword. This allows for combat to be a bit more methodical and for the player to dictate the pace of the battle. Instead of a large, open world the game is set in a series of smaller, interconnected hub areas. To make up for this all areas are densely packed and there are no 'empty' zones such as The Great Sea or Hyrule Field.

The intimate nature of everything in Skyward Sword gives the game a cozy and enjoyable vibe. It's a lighthearted affair more along the lines of Wind Waker than Ocarina of Time or Twilight Princess. It may not be a very traditional Zelda game, but it most certainly is a good one.

THREAD RULES:

1) Put spoilers in tags! The 3D Zelda games live and die by their story. Because of this I would appreciate it if we could keep this thread a spoiler-free zone. This LP is going to be a lot of people's first time experiencing Skyward Sword. Let's try our best to preserve that experience!

2) Leave your sass at the door! It's no secret that a lot of people are heavily invested in The Legend of Zelda. As such, I'm not going to stop anyone from using this thread to debate about how Skyward Sword is the worst/best Zelda. However, if you're going to do that please be respectful to the people you're talking to. If you want to argue about Zelda and also be a jerk about it, take it elsewhere.

With that in mind; let's (sky)dive in!

THE VIDEOS:

Episode 1: Time and Time Again.....(Uncut)
Episode 2: Groose's Cruise of Ruse.....(Uncut)
Episode 3: Second Fi-ddle.....(Uncut)
Episode 4: Sealed the Deal.....(Uncut)
Episode 5: Faron Away The Best.....(Uncut)
Episode 6: Beedle and The Beetle.....(Uncut)
Episode 7: Carving Our Own Path.....(Uncut)
Episode 8: Gratitude Era.....(Uncut)
Episode 9: Mogmatters.....(Uncut)
Episode 10: Back in Black.....(Uncut)
Episode 11: I Lava Good Dungeon.....(Uncut)
Episode 12: Scalding Criticism.....(Uncut)
Episode 13: Lanayrude Dudes.....(Uncut)
Episode 14: Baldhour's Gate.....(Uncut)
Episode 15: Mined Your Own Business.....(Uncut)
Episode 16: Armogeddon.....(Uncut)
Episode 17: Times Makes Fools of Us All.....(Uncut)
Episode 18: I Come Alive in the Knight Time.....(Uncut)
Episode 19: Going Toe-to-Toe.....(Uncut)
Episode 20: Shoulda Scrapped This Character.....(Uncut)
Episode 21: Pump(kin) up the Jam.....(Uncut)
Episode 22: Silent Realm.....(Uncut)
Episode 23: Drawn to Riches.....(Uncut)
Episode 24: Cistern Act.....(Uncut)
Episode 25: Kolok Tower.....(Uncut)

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Mar 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

:siren: Cool Thread Stuff! :siren:

By Cofaigh:

By BearJazz:

By Your Computer:

By SystemLogoff:

By Akogare Zephyr:

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Feb 1, 2015

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.
I never played Skyward Sword so I'm curious to see how the game handles. I don't know much behind it except for the plot.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I have mixed feelings over this game, it looks beautiful and has cool characters but I just could not get a handle on the controls, they seemed too clunky to me, Wii Motion+ does not a good game make.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
I personally do not like this game very much for a multitude of reasons I won't go into, but I like Jordan's LPs so I'll watch it.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Had to sell this and a ton of other wii games not too long ago. Recently got the chance to replay some of them, and I've been steadily working through Skyward Sword for the past month. Just about back to where I got to last time, just after the third temple.

It's been a very weird experience, and I'm still cobbling together my thoughts. SS has a lot of charm and I like its ideas, I like the more explorable areas. A lot of other stuff, like dowsing, can get hosed, but I don't wanna complain so soon in the lp. Looking forward to the ride!

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Twilight Princess was better.

megamariox
Jun 4, 2011
I liked Skyward Sword. The story in my opinion was enjoyable and the world was pretty neat. The characters were done pretty well and the music was awesome. I'll be keeping an eye on this LP.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

What? Memr4lyf totally fits, Jordan you crazy.

cofaigh
Dec 30, 2006
Ha ha... dangly parts
Loved this game but currently don't have a Wii to play it on. Looking forward to more videos.

Also... couldn't help myself;

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

Cool! I was just wondering today if there was an LP of this.

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!
I needed a chill lp to do drugs to. Mr. Kai, you've filled a void in my life once again.

Lord Raven
Nov 8, 2014
I've been playing Majora's Mask lately and I beat Ocarina of Time 3DS not too long ago (after beating the original a bunch of times including Master Quest). I've been meaning to revisit this game, but it's nice to see an LP of this so I can revisit it without going through the effort of actually playing it.

Cartheon
Jun 1, 2014

Help me, Oppan. You're my only hope.

JordanKai posted:

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword is the fifth and currently most recent entry in the console Zelda saga.

How are you counting console Zelda games? Skyward Sword is either the sixth or the eighth installment of console Zelda games, depending on if you're leaving off the 'sequels' or not.

1. The Legend of Zelda - Adventures of Link
2. Link to the Past
3. Ocarina of Time - Majora's Mask
4. Wind Waker
5. Twilight Princess
6. Skyward Sword

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I agree. I rank TP above OoT and below LttP. If TP was less linear and allowed for more exploration, it might actually challenge LttP for my number 2 spot.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Cartheon posted:

I agree. I rank TP above OoT and below LttP. If TP was less linear and allowed for more exploration, it might actually challenge LttP for my number 2 spot.

Some extremely wrong opinions itt

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

majormonotone posted:

Some extremely wrong opinions itt

Actually it is you who is wrong

I'm gonna fist bump my smart-rear end little imp buddy and then go have an epic horse battle with a fat guy on a bridge

also TP made Ganon into some weird eldritch horror beast and it was incredibly cool also the cutscenes also the music

also that weird bit where suddenly you're in the Wild West

BearJazz
Oct 28, 2007

I love being the goddamn BATMAN.
I usually don't do stuff like this, but this moment was too amusing to not make into a gif.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Crosspeice posted:

What? Memr4lyf totally fits, Jordan you crazy.

Look, you either go all the way (Memer4Lyfe) or you don't go at all! :colbert:

Cartheon posted:

How are you counting console Zelda games? Skyward Sword is either the sixth or the eighth installment of console Zelda games, depending on if you're leaving off the 'sequels' or not.

At some point I had written '3D' to go along with 'console Zelda saga', but I removed that without ammending the sentence itself, oops. Thanks for pointing that out!

BearJazz posted:

I usually don't do stuff like this, but this moment was too amusing to not make into a gif.

cofaigh posted:

Loved this game but currently don't have a Wii to play it on. Looking forward to more videos.

Also... couldn't help myself;

YESSSSSS!!! I'm adding both of these to the OP! :neckbeard:

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Nov 9, 2014

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

That gif in the op contains a link (no pun intended) to a non-existent page.

Anyway, I agree with the others. Skyward Sword is a good game but not the best of the 3D Zeldas. I had no trouble at all with the controls, though. It seems to be just a case of knowing how to handle the Motion Plus. Keep it straight and just make slow slashes in the right direction, instead of going crazy with it. And re-center your cursor every once in a while.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
I can't believe Zelda's dad is :manning:.

Cartheon
Jun 1, 2014

JordanKai posted:

At some point I had written '3D' to go along with 'console Zelda saga', but I removed that without amending the sentence itself, oops. Thanks for pointing that out!

Ahhhh, that explains it.

Actually it is you who is wrong

I'm gonna fist bump my smart-rear end little imp buddy and then go have an epic horse battle with a fat guy on a bridge

also TP made Ganon into some weird eldritch horror beast and it was incredibly cool also the cutscenes also the music

also that weird bit where suddenly you're in the Wild West

TP had the best final boss battle out of any Zelda game. It was truly epic. Additionally, none of the dungeons plain sucked. Sure, a bunch were average and only a few were great, but none of them out and out sucked. Midna is nowhere near as annoying as Navi or Fi. The story was above average for a Zelda game too. Who the big bad was was kept hidden too. For the longest time, I thought the final boss was going to be Vant.

Anyways, that's enough about TP. Skyward Sword! It has the skyward-est sword of the Zeldas!

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Counterpoint: Twilight Princess is incredibly boring and extremely bland to look at. The visual design is abysmal. And only the Gamecube game is any fun to play, the Wii version controls like poo poo.

Cartheon
Jun 1, 2014

majormonotone posted:

Counterpoint: Twilight Princess is incredibly boring and extremely bland to look at. The visual design is abysmal. And only the Gamecube game is any fun to play, the Wii version controls like poo poo.

I only played the Gamecube version, so your argument about Wii controls being awful might be, and probably is, valid. Then again the Wii as a console was pretty disappointing.

I loved the visual design. It had a gritty, dark tone that I fell in love with. Honestly, though, hating a game for graphics is one of the most ridiculous things you can do. Ultima 4-6 are among the best RPGs made, and their graphics are complete poo poo.

As for it being boring, that's subjective. I loved every moment of TP. It's what Zelda would be if you mixed a little Skyrim in with it - dark, gritty, with the feeling of an expansive world. It just needed more open exploration.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
The only boring part of TP was the beginning, which is very slow, like every Zelda game.

It's not as boring as Wind Waker with its endless sailing, although the fast-sail apparently fixes that. And Midna is just so drat likeable AND the music is really good.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

The only boring part of TP was the beginning, which is very slow, like every Zelda game.

It's not as boring as Wind Waker with its endless sailing, although the fast-sail apparently fixes that. And Midna is just so drat likeable AND the music is really good.

Wind Waker pretty much oozes charm, Twilight Princess has none whatsoever, Midna is the only reason the game is worth playing.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I haven't played the game in years, but I still remember vividly the score that plays on the intro movie and Midna's adorable gibberish.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I've only played the Wii version of Twilight Princess. I seem to be the only one who didn't mind the controls of that game at all. Aiming ranged weapons with the Wiimote was quite neat.

Lord Raven
Nov 8, 2014

Cartheon posted:

TP had the best final boss battle out of any Zelda game. It was truly epic. Additionally, none of the dungeons plain sucked. Sure, a bunch were average and only a few were great, but none of them out and out sucked. Midna is nowhere near as annoying as Navi or Fi. The story was above average for a Zelda game too. Who the big bad was was kept hidden too. For the longest time, I thought the final boss was going to be Vant.

I thought TP's dungeons were kinda bland but I found its boss fights the best of the series.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
TP had a way of making boss fights and such seem like very grandiose affairs, but the actual substance of them was a bit lacking. The game felt too easy and some of the dungeon items were utterly useless outside the dungeon you found them in.

Skyward Sword... mmh. To avoid going off on a tirade, I will simply say that the game had good ideas but I find its execution could've used work.

Mister Xenophobe
Feb 2, 2008
Dear Op: I'm sorry that your thread turned to poo poo, you may want lock it forever and never come back.

Cartheon
Jun 1, 2014

Judge Tesla posted:

Wind Waker pretty much oozes charm, Twilight Princess has none whatsoever, Midna is the only reason the game is worth playing.

It's not meant to be charming. That's like saying "I hate Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, because they lacked charm." Batman punches bad guys in the face as they poo poo their pants at the fact that it's Batman punching them in the face. He's not charming.

And, no, I am not comparing TP to Batman Begins and The Dark knight. I'm saying a work can be good without needing to have charm.

Wind Waker is among my least favorite Zelda games. The cartoony graphics were a turn off, but whatever. As I said, hating a game for visual style is ridiculous. However, when I played the demo and was pulling on a dragon's rear end to cause the roof to collapse on a boss, I knew it wasn't going to be among my favorites.

Mister Xenophobe posted:

Dear Op: I'm sorry that your thread turned to poo poo, you may want lock it forever and never come back.

Hardly. We're just having a discussion of what Zeldas we like more than others and why. Skyward Sword is a great game, and I look forward to more videos! I feel Skyward Sword correctly did the 'charming' style that Wind Waker aimed for.

Cartheon fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Nov 10, 2014

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Mister Xenophobe posted:

Sorry we're talking about Zelda in a thread about Zelda, would you rather we complain about gender representation in Nintendo games?

KieranWalker posted:

TP had a way of making boss fights and such seem like very grandiose affairs, but the actual substance of them was a bit lacking. The game felt too easy and some of the dungeon items were utterly useless outside the dungeon you found them in.

Skyward Sword... mmh. To avoid going off on a tirade, I will simply say that the game had good ideas but I find its execution could've used work.

They were easy, but the game does do a lot to improve upon its combat engine, and I don't mind an easy fight if it feels satisfying.

I will say that when compared side by side, Okami is much better than Twilight Princess.

H.R. Hufflepuff
Aug 5, 2005
The worst of all worlds

Sorry we're talking about Zelda in a thread about Zelda, would you rather we complain about gender representation in Nintendo games?

They were easy, but the game does do a lot to improve upon its combat engine, and I don't mind an easy fight if it feels satisfying.

I will say that when compared side by side, Okami is much better than Twilight Princess.

Yeah, it's pretty clear which is the superior Wolf Zelda.

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

I loved both Wind Waker and Twilight Princess :shobon: I think it helps with Wind Waker that the sailing didn't really bother me, I enjoyed the feeling of exploration and I probably got more invested in the story than any other Zelda. However, it did give me an ever burning hatred of Tingle.

I didn't think as much of Skyward Sword..it's really fun and the dungeons are really innovative for a Zelda game, but Fi just more or less sucked any enthusiasm I had for the game right out. It does have some great characters aside from Fi and lovely visual design though.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
Personally, I never had any trouble with the controls in Skyward Sword. I also think it had one of the most fantastic villains of the Zelda games.

JordanKai, I have to disagree in regards to your dialogue choices. Jerk Link is the most hilarious thing ever.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The correct choices are the ones where Link is the biggest dork.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

I've only ever beaten Link to the Past and haven't had much drive to play the other Zelda games, but they've always been fun to watch. So far I think this is one of the most aesthetically pleasing Zelda games, and it all seems way charming in the animations and expressions and all that stuff. I'm excited to see Zelda Degrassi High up until something fucks up Link's final exam or graduation ceremony or whatever. This is looking to be a good time, so thank you for making this thread, JordanKai.

However, you referred to Zelda 2 by its American name, when you should have called it by its proper Nipponese name, Doki Kokiri Panic, so I can only give this thread a 4 right now.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
The Zelda CD-i games are the best and I will not hear otherwise. :colbert:

John Liver
May 4, 2009

I actually played this one all the way to the end, but never finished it or replayed it.

I pretty much have all the praise and complaints as you'll hear a thousand times in this thread, but hey, I guess I'll follow along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

• Locked thread