Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Sweet Tea posted:

i actually found myself enjoying it but at the same time it takes itself really seriously which is loving stupid

it actually doesn't

did you miss the part where the villain dryly said "aww that is nice" at the hugging scene in the end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Gladiator.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

mr.capps posted:

it actually doesn't

did you miss the part where the villain dryly said "aww that is nice" at the hugging scene in the end

i did miss that part. that being said though they had a lot of opportunities to add some humorous elements but didn't, i think they went with the whole setting/narrative being absurd enough inherently that any comedic relief was self evident

Pillow Clerk
Oct 18, 2008
The Mummy, staring Brendan Fraiser

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

hot rod is pretty great it is also stupid as gently caress, yes.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Fandyien posted:

i did miss that part. that being said though they had a lot of opportunities to add some humorous elements but didn't, i think they went with the whole setting/narrative being absurd enough inherently that any comedic relief was self evident

there's tons of jokes in there, like with the dudes in masks and axes all stopping to celeberate new year and smiling in the middle of a bloody battle or the entire bit with the teacher.. and the eggs.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
tank girl

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

hemale in pain posted:

there's tons of jokes in there, like with the dudes in masks and axes all stopping to celeberate new year and smiling in the middle of a bloody battle or the entire bit with the teacher.. and the eggs.

imo its hard to discern if those are jokes or just weird poo poo

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
hmmm
• if the premise is based on science that is clearly faulty without being innovative in its own right its dumb
• in genres involving the paranormal the premise itself to the degree as would be known from a succinct description of the movie is immune from determining the movies status (if you go into a movie knowing theres part of it you think is dumb you cant be a bitch about it)
• if any of the plot points hinge on a character being dumb outside of the context of his own hubris then its dumb
• acts of deus ex machina which were not foreshadowed make the movie dumb

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
the first VHS movie

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp
Congo was dumb as gently caress but for some reason i still love that movie. it's my comfort flick

Pillow Clerk posted:

The Mummy, staring Brendan Fraiser

this too

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
snowpiecer is actually a pretty smart movie btw

like everyone got the whole classism subtext of it, but people missed how it was used to parallel like genre conventions and plotting in action movies. as soon as anarchy reigns the entire plot of the movie is literally derailed, with no foreshadowing to it.

the movie isn't really trying to say anything about classism, but it is saying stuff about how all stories are power struggles.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

i thought snowpiercer was a nihilistic movie that equated the entropy of human existence w/the inevitability of the train's failure. in the end they are going to freeze to death, just like the earth

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Fandyien posted:

imo its hard to discern if those are jokes or just weird poo poo

its jokes, have you seen the director's other movies? The Host (the south korean movie not the YA thing) and Mother have a lot of stuff like that.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Fandyien posted:

i thought snowpiercer was a nihilistic movie that equated the entropy of human existence w/the inevitability of the train's failure. in the end they are going to freeze to death, just like the earth

its a pretty big plot point that the earth was getting warmer again

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

mr.capps posted:

its jokes, have you seen the director's other movies? The Host (the south korean movie not the YA thing) and Mother have a lot of stuff like that.

yeah i've seen host and it really owned which is part of why i watched snowpiercer and i'll grant that had a lot more jokes. i think my problem is i take poo poo in ostensibly post apocalyptic movies at face value whereas with The Host i was way more willing to sort of interpret things in it as satires on the US/SK relationship and general environmental policies

mr.capps posted:

its a pretty big plot point that the earth was getting warmer again

yeah fair enough and while it's clear that you can survive outside for at least a little while, unlike those dudes whta got frozen 17 years ago, i still think the survivors will be boned what with the train having been mostly destroyed and stuff

that being said this conversation has made me appreciate Snowpiercer more because most silly movies like it don't even seem to merit this sort of vague analysis

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Austin powers. Dr. evil is the thing that's great. The rest is bad.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
southland tales :D

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Sir John Feelgood posted:

Austin powers. Dr. evil is the thing that's great. The rest is bad.

i liked the second one but im willing to admit it probably sucked

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

was it the third one with the fat character? cus i remember thinking the fat scotsman was funny when i was a child but i bet that holds up terribly now.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
does an intentionally dumb movie count tho???

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

other bad movies i like: pacific rim and prometheus.

like pacific rim is really a complete piece of poo poo but i like it and prometheus is a watered down pg-13 turd of an alien movie but still i love it. shame the sequels been delayed.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

my brother dragged me to pacific rim and i left the theater livid that anyone alive could enjoy something so loving heinous. goddamn i hate that movie so much it is the worst

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Fandyien posted:

that being said this conversation has made me appreciate Snowpiercer more because most silly movies like it don't even seem to merit this sort of vague analysis

reminder that batman and robin is about a gay couple, their lesbian friend (batgirl), fighting conservative gender roles (mr. freeze and his wife, crazy male rage bane, sexy poison ivy)

for the most part even the "stupid" movies are made by people who consider themselves artist, so under analysis you realize "oh people with brains actually made this"

but yeah i don't think snowpiecer is a stupid movie, its just kinda masquerading as a silly action movie, while still being a pretty awesome silly action movie

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

mr.capps posted:

for the most part even the "stupid" movies are made by people who consider themselves artist, so under analysis you realize "oh people with brains actually made this"

i dont care if this is the case (i have my doubts), either way it is an awful and painful movie

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Fandyien posted:

was it the third one with the fat character? cus i remember thinking the fat scotsman was funny when i was a child but i bet that holds up terribly now.

I think it just might be. I MIGHT have even seen it in the cinema but i don't really remember.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Panty Saluter posted:

i dont care if this is the case (i have my doubts), either way it is an awful and painful movie

yeah batman and robin is a very very lovely movie, i am just pointing out that film analysis should be apply to even the movies that most people wouldn't consider "worthy" to analyze

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

theres a point where that becomes a waste of time though. like you can apply all the generally legitimate ideas behind critical analysis to any rando bullshit and if you're competent enough w/the jargon extract something that sounds meaningful but is actually as much of a load of crap as the media you're discussing

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

i guess what i'm saying is that some things are just there for the MST3K treatment

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Fandyien posted:

theres a point where that becomes a waste of time though. like you can apply all the generally legitimate ideas behind critical analysis to any rando bullshit and if you're competent enough w/the jargon extract something that sounds meaningful but is actually as much of a load of crap as the media you're discussing

well duh

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

mr.capps posted:

yeah batman and robin is a very very lovely movie, i am just pointing out that film analysis should be apply to even the movies that most people wouldn't consider "worthy" to analyze

that stuff shouldn't leave cinema discussion. it shouldn't even be there in the first place.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

hemale in pain posted:

that stuff shouldn't leave cinema discussion. it shouldn't even be there in the first place.

its true tho

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Fandyien posted:

i have a really tough time believing anyone can do a legit remake of a movie that is good, at least partially, just because of how '80s it is

The Fright Night remake works because it doesn't even try to go for nostalgia or cash-in on how 80s the original was. It literally strips everything from the original except for the skeleton of the characters and premise, reworks them a bit to make them fit the modern day a bit more, and then lets its better-than-it-deserved cast and sense of direction elevate the material.

-----

Content--

The original Robocop is both really loving dumb and really loving smart at the same time.

I also have a soft spot for Gremlins 2 which knows it's a dumb premise from frame one and goes for broke having fun with the setting and taking the piss out of the weird "lore" of the original.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
gremlins 2 is a really fun movie

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Yeah. Snowpiercer.

Captain America's monologue at the end honestly made the movie for me. "I was the man with the knife."

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Blade 2

awful cgi + villian with cheap plastic ears and makeup + motorbike fight scene.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

hemale in pain posted:

Blade 2

awful cgi + villian with cheap plastic ears and makeup + motorbike fight scene.

already posted

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra

its a parody that shouldn't work but somehow it does

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Sweet Tea posted:

i think snowpiercer is another good example.

Yes, a good example of a poo poo movie made for morons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

gnarlyhotep posted:

already posted

like im gonna read all the posts in a thread lmao

• Locked thread