Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

This has been a lovely ride so far.

I think I've managed to identify most of the puzzle components so far, with a couple of omissions: I'm pretty sure I've got the number system worked out but I don't really have any way to check my work, and I've definitely got the letter system, but I'm not sure how you're supposed to work that part out 'properly' yet. I went back to the intro and brute-forced my way through cracking the code rather than refer to any specific clue.

please don't tell me either way

I definitely think the scenic run was the best way to go about things, though - if I'd been playing this on my own, blind, there's no way I would have paid this much attention to the locales and the scenery because I'd be too busy trying to solve everything immediately. I can definitely see where the contention on that front comes from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

Cats do not abide by the laws of nature, alright? You don't know shit about cats.
There are definitely clues to figuring those out in-game; they're just difficult to notice if you're not looking. Because the game is so low-narration and leaves you to discover things on your own, it's very easy to overlook them. (Back when I was 100%-ing the thing, I definitely had to consult a walkthrough before I had any idea that the clues were even MEANT to be clues.)

Hugmonster VIII
Jan 5, 2008

i think that turtle
want to race us!
This is the best LP thread the subforum has ever had. So subtle and nuanced. It's a shame so few people will ever see it.

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Stelas posted:

I think I've managed to identify most of the puzzle components so far, with a couple of omissions: I'm pretty sure I've got the number system worked out but I don't really have any way to check my work, and I've definitely got the letter system, but I'm not sure how you're supposed to work that part out 'properly' yet. I went back to the intro and brute-forced my way through cracking the code rather than refer to any specific clue.

please don't tell me either way

I ended up working out the alphabet by frequency analysis because the actual in-game clue went right over my head on the first pass, so you're not the only one!

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Guys, we're so close to NG+ now, please keep it together. Someone figuring some stuff out doesn't change anything.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Hugmonster VIII posted:

This is the best LP thread the subforum has ever had. So subtle and nuanced. It's a shame so few people will ever see it.

What?

John Liver
May 4, 2009

Hugmonster VIII posted:

This is the best LP thread the subforum has ever had.

it's no dongs.exe

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

John Liver posted:

it's no dongs.exe

I don't think he knows who Nakar is.

This is not a bad LP by any means. But...yeah...Just look at the Dishonored LP that is going right now. That thing is amazing.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I really like this LP, but I also like other LPs. I am not frozentreasure but right now I would like to ask that this not devolve into arguing about what LPs may or may not be better than others and the reasons therein.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

I don't think he knows who Nakar is.

This is not a bad LP by any means. But...yeah...Just look at the Dishonored LP that is going right now. That thing is amazing.

This is one of the best LPs on the forum and so is the Dishonored LP. Let's leave it at that.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
Bleh. The telescope kind of represents my main complaint about the puzzle aspects of this game. They make me feel like I'm in kindergarten and the teacher's "lessons" about colors and shapes and numbers are just vague hints, and he just kind of acts smug when I don't get it and have to go ask another grown-up for help.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

I find the telescope and the lighthouse to be cute tributes to Myst.

Then I remember that I hated Myst.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Neurion posted:

I find the telescope and the lighthouse to be cute tributes to Myst.

Then I remember that I hated Myst.

I remmeber that me and my brother had for (seemingly) years tried to beat that game as small boys, then we had forgotten about it for some time until, in a fit of boredom, we found the CD and said; "Hey! Let's give this a shot!".

We beat it in one afternoon/evening.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
I would get upset at Waltzing Along's position that his opinion of one Let's Play cancels out other people's opinions of an entirely different Let's Play, among other things, if I didn't know that I was going to get the last laugh on him in this next video.

Now then, before the actual link, let me preemptively say:

Some of you who've played the game, or played through one or two specific puzzles, may notice something in this video. In spite of the fact that those things relate to puzzles and I've already asked that you not talk about them…

Please do not say anything.

Is there anyone who is unclear or thinks I'm kidding about this? Nothing in spoiler tags, nothing out of spoiler tags, no pseudo-hints, nothing. I genuinely don't care how badly you want to say something about it; I've had this planned out for weeks, I know what I'm doing, the thread isn't going to get closed before you get your chance to say what you want to say.

For those of you who have not played the game before, if you haven't been watching the videos full screen, I highly recommend doing so for this one.

Part 13: Time, Space, Continuum

I have a little announcement to make, but I'll be giving it a few hours to a full day before I make it, to give people a chance to watch the video.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Takes a lot of balls to release a game this buggy. It's crashed to restart at least twice.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Well, that wasn't peaceful.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

frozentreasure posted:

Fair enough.

Something that's only just occurred to me: did Gomez unintentionally blow up the star gate (perhaps by travelling through it while not being properly "mentally equipped" to do so?)

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Ah, this game...

Beautiful game, beautifully played.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
That took an interesting turn. Looks like the fabric of reality trembled and eventually turned into Gomez playing drums.
So I'm taking it that these puzzles people refused to stay quiet about will net us 32 more cubes. I suspected something akin to this but didn't think they'd let you end the game half done.

I now do regret that I didn't start playing the game again myself.

bobbertoriley
Sep 6, 2011

I never thought about the anatomy of a pixel before seeing the ending to Fez. It's probably one of the most visually interesting things this game has to offer.

But Gomez doesn't care about that. He just wants to rock!

See you guys in NG+.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Either somebody took too many drugs before making that sequence, or I didn't take enough before watching it. :psyduck:

On the bright side, I still have little to no idea what any of the puzzles in this game are, let along how to solve them.

Zira
Oct 9, 2007

You have a job! Karl has a job! What's my purpose?
Karl has a job!Karl has a job!
What's my purpose? What's my
You have a job! purpose?
What's my purpose?
What's my purpose?
I really love the effects you did to your voice. I noticed you did that in previous videos, but you really bring it home in this one. The glitching voice when it 'restarts' is really nice.

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012
I suddenly understand nothing at all. Going to stream-of-consciousness my thoughts here.

Okay, whatever was on the other side of that stargate, it gave me the feeling that it was capital-W Wrong, the same feeling the last stage of Braid gave me. I noticed the owl in that area didn't rotate its head at all - had we seen that before on other owls? I thought they always looked at you. It's somehow creepier when it didn't.

The nega-cubes or anti-cubes or whatever they were, the blue ones that took up half the hexahedron, sort of looked like something it was trying to hide. Nobody was supposed to know the nega-cubes existed, but it isn't whole without them, and trying to make it exist with just the cubes we collected didn't work. Whatever the Hexahedron is, it clearly has unfathomable power, and being near just a fragmented version of it can warp and change you.

On the other hand, Gomez managed to come back from being his most artistically minimal version. Whatever the evolutionary downsides of not being able to see in 3-d or build warp and star gates (And how long have you known about THOSE, little dot?) seem to be made up for by that. Is Gomez sort of an antibody to the Hexahedron's virus? Is THAT why it felt so weird in the space the hexahedron lived in? Is it only gomez, or the people in his village as well? I'll bet the Owls have an answer.

That was a suspiciously long jump there at the end. Have we gained Space Jump or something? I thought we'd get new abilities from solving puzzles - the game surely doesn't expect you to read a QR code off a wall in the game without an in-game QR reader - but if we ever got an ability for something else, collecting all the non-nega cubes would be the thing.

Excellent LP so far, especially with the audio effects. It can't be easy keeping all this under your hat, especially while seeming perky and interested in every new thing despite the fact you must have seen it many times before.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
(Note: Never played Fez before, knew nothing of the game before this LP besides the internet drama induced by the author)

Well, someone has watched a lot of 2001: A Space Odyssey. I'm also guessing the other 32 cubes are locked in NG+.

Had to mention, when we got to the library I was instantly transported to a short story from one of my absolute favorite books, The Library of Babel. I also feel like there are a lot of parallels to what I think the overall story of the game is. I'm kind of wondering if that was intentional since a lot of sperglord types (including myself) fall in love with that book. I guess I'll find out after NG+.

Chuu fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Dec 14, 2014

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

That was... timey-wimey wibbly-wobbly...

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Chuu posted:

I'm also guessing the other 32 cubes are locked in NG+.
Some of them are, most of them aren't. frozentreasure's route has been quite different from that of probably most people who've played this game, although it is a pretty good way to show the game off.

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

After seeing that I only have one thing to say.

Gif request: that drum solo, avatar sized

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I realized something: you never went back and opened that locked door in the cemetery.

EDIT: Okay... why are lots of usernames backwards? Or am I the only one who sees it? :tinfoil:

Mraagvpeine fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Dec 14, 2014

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
To punish people for spending money.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Paul.Power posted:

Some of them are, most of them aren't. frozentreasure's route has been quite different from that of probably most people who've played this game, although it is a pretty good way to show the game off.

It is different, but I like that he's shown that it's entirely possible to beat the game just exploring (I guess maybe the bookcase is a 'puzzle' but it barely counts.)

The ending sequence is fantastic (and nice job with the voice breaking out as we starting seeing the world in less and less fidelity.)

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Are we allowed to say how much we hate the ending?

I hate the ending.

A lot.

That said, I've never seen the full-completion ending so that might change my mind.

Probably not.

I did really like the way you edited that though. Really fitting.

Mraagvpeine posted:

EDIT: Okay... why are lots of usernames backwards? Or am I the only one who sees it? :tinfoil:

No, you're not, and yes, I am also confused.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Dec 14, 2014

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

Mraagvpeine posted:

No, you're not, and yes, I am also confused.

I'm... I'm not seeing any of the usernames backwards. Am I the only one not seeing them? :tinfoil:

But no, really, can you give some examples?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Don't worry, it's probably just Lowtax loving with the forums code again. There's a few QCS threads where you can complain about that.

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Valgaav posted:

The nega-cubes or anti-cubes or whatever they were, the blue ones that took up half the hexahedron, sort of looked like something it was trying to hide. Nobody was supposed to know the nega-cubes existed, but it isn't whole without them, and trying to make it exist with just the cubes we collected didn't work. Whatever the Hexahedron is, it clearly has unfathomable power, and being near just a fragmented version of it can warp and change you.

On the other hand, Gomez managed to come back from being his most artistically minimal version. Whatever the evolutionary downsides of not being able to see in 3-d or build warp and star gates (And how long have you known about THOSE, little dot?) seem to be made up for by that. Is Gomez sort of an antibody to the Hexahedron's virus? Is THAT why it felt so weird in the space the hexahedron lived in? Is it only gomez, or the people in his village as well? I'll bet the Owls have an answer.

I took that sequence as an epiphany moment for Gomez. Obviously something went wrong with the cube, but as his hat comes off, he's able to perceive finer and finer levels of detail within himself until he figures out how his universe works and how he might be able to fix the problem.

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012

LeschNyhan posted:

I took that sequence as an epiphany moment for Gomez. Obviously something went wrong with the cube, but as his hat comes off, he's able to perceive finer and finer levels of detail within himself until he figures out how his universe works and how he might be able to fix the problem.

I'm not too sure about that. Unless his discovery involved him needing the Fez, when he reconstituted himself/came back to reality/WHATEVER just happened, he wouldn't have brought it back. He has it when he does the drumming and the super-jump, recall.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

I thought the sequence was a bunch of confusing nonsense to make you think it was philosophical only to go "Fooled you!" give us the little jingle and a push towards trying again, since now its probably plain we have more cubes to collect.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat
I don't think the drums are part of the 'real' ending, they're just a little joke at how often media these days ends with a dance party that has nothing to do with the actual story.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Zoig posted:

I thought the sequence was a bunch of confusing nonsense to make you think it was philosophical only to go "Fooled you!" give us the little jingle and a push towards trying again, since now its probably plain we have more cubes to collect.

Which in a nutshell is why I hate the ending. Its a long stretch of pretentious Space Odyssey nonsense that isn't at all inherently interesting to sit through.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lemme know if asking this is to far frozentreasure. But anyways, I bought this when it came out, and remember following along as people figured things out. But did *that* room ever get figured out, or is it still a mystery?

And as for the super jumping, I thought it was obvious that we were in space. After all, it's a stargate! And stars mean space. I love the look of that area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
Well that was indulgently trippy.

I hope that at the proper end of the LP you'll tell those of us not in the know what exactly you're flipping out about people not telling us now. Because that is some serious curiosity bait you just laid down.

• Locked thread