Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The_Guy
Mar 1, 2004

Eventually they always run out of other people's tiles.

ArchangeI posted:

I think I've read this. Is there a scene where the noble JSDF uses attack helicopters to wipe out a giant fantasy army with no casualties, described in loving detail? Because i pretty much stopped reading after that. It is seriously one of the most boring action sequences I have ever seen, like the author has never even heard of the idea of dramatic tension.

b-but that's the best part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Phobophilia posted:

I think there exists a particular strain of author and audience who can't loving bear to put their main characters under any kind of threat, and for whatever reason these people are overrepresented in the militaristic sci-fi/fantasy fandoms.

(It is because they are cowardly chickenhawks).
Standard military doctrine is to whenever possible go in with overwhelming force so there's no chance you lose. Are you saying you want your protagonists to be terrible at their job and risk getting a bunch of their people killed just for bravado's sake?

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

This could've been a Japanese adaptation of Spellcross, but no.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Paracelsus posted:

Standard military doctrine is to whenever possible go in with overwhelming force so there's no chance you lose. Are you saying you want your protagonists to be terrible at their job and risk getting a bunch of their people killed just for bravado's sake?

If the only way you can make things interesting is by making people incompetent then you are a bad author. You could, you know, make the other side equally competent. These guys use loving magic. You could easily argue that their specially enchanted armor stops bullets better than a kevlar west, that their summoned lightning bolts interfere with the radios and knock out electronic equipment or that the earth golems are almost immune to direct fire because they have no vital parts that can be damaged. But no, instead its "look at all these dumb savages, let's carpet bomb them out of existence while we stroke ourselves raw about how brave and noble we are".

It might be realistic, but it is a goddamn story and if you write a story with loving dragons in it to be "realistic" then you are a failure as a writer. Realism has no place in fiction writing. Internal consistency has, which is what people usually refer to when they say they want a realistic story, but that only means the story can't contradict itself and can't break suspension of disbelief. Which absolutely includes the possibility that a fantasy army can give a modern technological one a run for its money.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Paracelsus posted:

There's a difference between having a competent protagonist, and having an untouchable protagonist. If the author is such a prima dona that he cannot let any harm fall to his protag, this will inevitably interfere with the plot, usually by making it lose any tension or stakes. When there are no stakes in the story, the driving conflict loses all meaning. This is the reason Mahouka is so incredibly dull.

A good way to stop this from happening is to make the villains a legitimate threat, but that would require causing emotional or physical harm to the protagonist.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

SSNeoman posted:

There's a difference between having a competent protagonist, and having an untouchable protagonist. If the author is such a prima dona that he cannot let any harm fall to his protag, this will inevitably interfere with the plot, usually by making it lose any tension or stakes. When there are no stakes in the story, the driving conflict loses all meaning. This is the reason Mahouka is so incredibly dull.

A good way to stop this from happening is to make the villains a legitimate threat, but that would require causing emotional or physical harm to the protagonist.

ArchangeI posted:

If the only way you can make things interesting is by making people incompetent then you are a bad author. You could, you know, make the other side equally competent. These guys use loving magic. You could easily argue that their specially enchanted armor stops bullets better than a kevlar west, that their summoned lightning bolts interfere with the radios and knock out electronic equipment or that the earth golems are almost immune to direct fire because they have no vital parts that can be damaged. But no, instead its "look at all these dumb savages, let's carpet bomb them out of existence while we stroke ourselves raw about how brave and noble we are".

It might be realistic, but it is a goddamn story and if you write a story with loving dragons in it to be "realistic" then you are a failure as a writer. Realism has no place in fiction writing. Internal consistency has, which is what people usually refer to when they say they want a realistic story, but that only means the story can't contradict itself and can't break suspension of disbelief. Which absolutely includes the possibility that a fantasy army can give a modern technological one a run for its money.

Not all the situations in Gate are "fantasy Roman army who have never seen a modern military before vs. said modern military," and I expect that things will change a bit once the locals start trying different (and probably more insurgency-style) tactics. The overwhelming initial victories certainly define a relationship between the sides, but I don't think that's going to (or even has) remain static.

Plus iirc the MC has been beaten up on multiple occasions, largely in situations where he's working without an army at his back, so it seems strange to say that he's immune from physical harm, and a lot of the most recent arc has been him wrestling with how to handle a messed-up emotional situation.

The central conflict seems to be less about man vs. man "can we win," and more about man vs. himself "can we win while holding onto the principles we like to think we hold, rather than just bringing in more bullets than they have people (also fighter jets v. dragons is :krad:)." That can still work as a conflict even when the balance of power is heavily tilted towards one side.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

It is 100% possible to still have tension in a one-sided military situation. Just make the military situation not the main conflict vs political and economic wheeling and dealing or personal struggles.

The problem is Gate's author isn't sane or skilled enough to do this well.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

This manga has some godawful pacing and a complete lack of tension. I'm only 11 pages in and the Japanese almost instantly contained the first invaders through the gate (with our main character appearing in the middle of the battle and giving out orders, with literally no introduction), counterattacked through the gate and have massacred more than a hundred thousand unidentified enemies. The Japanese soldiers are already so bored (despite invading some kind of alternate dimension :confused:) that they're complaining that the enemy attacks are interrupting the DVDs they're watching.

Our first actual look at this other civilization is a bunch of guys dressed like Roman senators yelling at each about how badly they're getting annihilated.

I mean, seriously? The introduction of the main character, the appearance of the gate and the initial attack should have taken at least a full volume to explore. Surely the novel version of this story didn't have all this poo poo happen in the first chapter?

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011
Well, the author's an otaku, writing for other otaku, so obviously exploring an entirely new world is a poor replacement for the latest episode of whatever generic anime they're watching.

Monocled Falcon fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Nov 11, 2014

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

FallenGod posted:

This manga has some godawful pacing and a complete lack of tension. I'm only 11 pages in and the Japanese almost instantly contained the first invaders through the gate (with our main character appearing in the middle of the battle and giving out orders, with literally no introduction), counterattacked through the gate and have massacred more than a hundred thousand unidentified enemies. The Japanese soldiers are already so bored (despite invading some kind of alternate dimension :confused:) that they're complaining that the enemy attacks are interrupting the DVDs they're watching.

Our first actual look at this other civilization is a bunch of guys dressed like Roman senators yelling at each about how badly they're getting annihilated.

I mean, seriously? The introduction of the main character, the appearance of the gate and the initial attack should have taken at least a full volume to explore. Surely the novel version of this story didn't have all this poo poo happen in the first chapter?

The author didn't want to tell that story of the initial invasion. He wanted to tell the story of the aftermath which is an interesting idea and one I haven't really seen before. He is not a good writer though and is a hardcore otaku in addition, so large chunks (the majority) of the story are painful to slog through. The only reason I keep reading the manga is the concept is just so good and occasionally (sadly not often enough) the story matches the concept in quality.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
This thread is already more interesting than the manga.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

i read this for the cute monster girls and that's about it

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
OK, you've got me morbidly curious now. When, where, and how does this manga address Nanking?

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

OK, you've got me morbidly curious now. When, where, and how does this manga address Nanking?

By implying it never happened and that if Japan made any mistakes in fantasyland it would be their first crime ever.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Awwwwwww poo poo, a GATE thread! Finally, I can suffer with other goons through this trainwreck.

This is a terrible manga for terrible people, but I gobble down any and all anachronistic poo poo I can get my hands on. I can ignore the nationalistic crap, and have basically given up on expecting the natives to put up a decent resistance, so the main reason I am still reading this is the whiplash I get by the transitions from silly fantasy harem antics to GRITTY REALISM.

Paracelsus posted:

Plus iirc the MC has been beaten up on multiple occasions, largely in situations where he's working without an army at his back, so it seems strange to say that he's immune from physical harm, and a lot of the most recent arc has been him wrestling with how to handle a messed-up emotional situation.

:ssh: But the Main Character is not actually the protagonist, he is just the audience self-insert. The protagonist is the Noble JSDF, and there are is no possibility that it's getting in any kind of difficult situation.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Rexides posted:

I gobble down any and all anachronistic poo poo I can get my hands on.
Same. Any recommendations that aren't already in the Historical Comics thread?

There was this one modern day HS mystery, everyone was reincarnations from a fantasy kingdom that carried over their abilities and loyalties once awakened. There were two or three different factions. Can't remember the name though.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Nov 17, 2014

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Jackard posted:

Same. Any recommendations that aren't already in the Historical Comics thread?

There was this one modern day HS mystery, everyone was reincarnations from a fantasy kingdom that carried over their abilities and loyalties once awakened. There were two or three different factions. Can't remember the name though.

Bokura no Kiseki

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
Well here's something I didn't expect to get a thread.

I don't really have much to add to the conversation except that even knowing the author was a sexist right wing nutjob the race of scantily clad literal gently caress-bunnies caught me by surprise.

At least it's not Mahouka levels of bad, yet, even if every new idea the author injects just brings it closer.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Desuwa posted:

Well here's something I didn't expect to get a thread.

I don't really have much to add to the conversation except that even knowing the author was a sexist right wing nutjob the race of scantily clad literal gently caress-bunnies caught me by surprise.

At least it's not Mahouka levels of bad, yet, even if every new idea the author injects just brings it closer.

That seems pretty unsurprising to me. They sound like a ripoff of the Viera from Final Fantasy, which are catnip to weird Japanese anime nerds.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Since when is Terraformars racist, nationalist and sexist?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Oh poo poo

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

ahahahaha

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

since the poster saw a le funny pic on reddit/4chan

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no
Man, Gate makes no drat sense to me, for one big reason. Japan isn't a very big logistical power, I mean, they would run out of food and ammo just because they don't have the huge logistics chain that is required to go from ground 0 to "Modern Military Base", even with a free portal. (Also, the fact that every soldier isn't constantly taking pictures of all the ~just like my anime~ characters and uploading them to youtube/facebook/socvial networking site is another unrealistic thing, but I could harp on this thing for hours.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Ugghghghghgh I can't believe I am going to post something in defense of Gate's "believeability", BUT!

The portal is situated right in the middle of the capital. Getting material to the construction site for the new base is as simple as getting it to the industrial center of the nation, which shouldn't be that difficult.

That was my Gate post, I hope you guys enjoyed it.

Rexides fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Nov 27, 2014

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

So I started to read this and... what happened between chapters 9 and 10? At the end of 9 they just entered Italica and at the beginning of 10 they're already helping defend it and suddenly they can understand the language.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Rodyle posted:

ahahahaha

Thanks for the answer!

Commissar Budgie
Aug 10, 2011

I am a Commissar. I am empowered to deliver justice wherever I see it lacking. I am empowered to punish cowardice. I am granted the gift of total authority to judge, in the name of the Emperor, on the field of combat.
In all fairness, since it's manga the burden of proof actually lies on you to demonstrate how it is anything but racist, nationalist, and sexist.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Thanks for the answer!
You don't deserve the effort

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Thanks for the answer!

It's sexist because there are only male cockroaches.
Nationalistic because the most poisonous animals (the best forms) are Australian
And racist because they draw the Japanese Giant Hornet with squinty eyes.

organism
Sep 30, 2005
organism

trucutru posted:

It's sexist because there are only male cockroaches.
Nationalistic because the most poisonous animals (the best forms) are Australian
And racist because they draw the Japanese Giant Hornet with squinty eyes.

I think you got the wrong racist, nationalist and sexist manga. The one you're looking for is two racist, nationalist and sexist mangas to the left.

edit: Nevermind. Didn't see we got off on a terraformars tangent.

organism fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Dec 10, 2014

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Literally The Worst posted:

There's a sequel where they blow up God. No, I'm not joking. Apparently there was going to be a third book but I have no idea who they'd kill in that one.

Actually, God was blown up by Michael. After we nuked Jesus and the Army of Heaven, Michael launched a coup against God to keep us from turning the City of Heaven (which is roughly the size of the continental US) into radioactive wasteland. He and his allies beat God in an Anime Laser-beam battle using the groundbreaking human tactic of firing in volleys.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
So I'm well into volume 3 and I have a question? How is this series supposed to be worse than Terraformars in any category other than Nationalism? I mean gate has racism in it but not the same kind as Terraformars did. This racism is presented within the framework of the story, fantasy races hate other fantasy races. bog standard stuff. Terraformars' racism was more readers comparing the presentation of the terraformers to racist caricatures and stereotypes of black people in popular culture. The other two categories are equally subdued compared to cockroaches the manga.

Unless this stuff doesn't sink in until later in the series it doesn't compare to the kind of shenanigans Terraformars gets into chapter 1 of that rollercoaster.

Edit: I would get to the hot spring chapter right after posting this :v:

Brought To You By fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Dec 13, 2014

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Brought To You By posted:

So I'm well into volume 3 and I have a question? How is this series supposed to be worse than Terraformars in any category other than Nationalism? I mean gate has racism in it but not the same kind as Terraformars did. This racism is presented within the framework of the story, fantasy races hate other fantasy races. bog standard stuff. Terraformars' racism was more readers comparing the presentation of the terraformers to racist caricatures and stereotypes of black people in popular culture. The other two categories are equally subdued compared to cockroaches the manga.

Unless this stuff doesn't sink in until later in the series it doesn't compare to the kind of shenanigans Terraformars gets into chapter 1 of that rollercoaster.

Edit: I would get to the hot spring chapter right after posting this :v:

Racism isn't really the biggest issue with this series, it's pretty much non-existent except for rare occasions where heroic Japanese Man is better then other nations and the weird "Black people!? It's the US because only they have black Spec Ops!"

The nationalism is off the loving charts. The politicians shown being against the Gate-Ops or whatever are cartoonishly moronic who are portrayed as extremists who will destroy the country with their petty spiteful attempts to halt the noble Japanese military from doing their Gate stuff. It's really more of an overall tone to it where noble Japan is basically a superpower and all other nations are super jealous and try to steal from them.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I don't find nationalism to be that offensive actually. Racism is another matter, but nationalism is more 'my dad can beat up you dad' level. I'm American and I don't find the portrayal of America in Gate anything more than really funny.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

I found Gate to be pretty enjoyable.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Petiso posted:

So I started to read this and... what happened between chapters 9 and 10? At the end of 9 they just entered Italica and at the beginning of 10 they're already helping defend it and suddenly they can understand the language.

No one? I just want to confirm if there's a missing chapter or if it's supposed to be like that.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Petiso posted:

No one? I just want to confirm if there's a missing chapter or if it's supposed to be like that.

Bad pacing in a bad manga

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Petiso posted:

I remember that too. I doubt there's a missing chapter; it's probably just a time skip.

KaneTW fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Dec 13, 2014

• Locked thread