Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Pewdiepie posted:

[Internet moderator voice]: Guys, can we please move this discussion to IRC?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

pentyne posted:

Racism isn't really the biggest issue with this series, it's pretty much non-existent except for rare occasions where heroic Japanese Man is better then other nations and the weird "Black people!? It's the US because only they have black Spec Ops!"

The nationalism is off the loving charts. The politicians shown being against the Gate-Ops or whatever are cartoonishly moronic who are portrayed as extremists who will destroy the country with their petty spiteful attempts to halt the noble Japanese military from doing their Gate stuff. It's really more of an overall tone to it where noble Japan is basically a superpower and all other nations are super jealous and try to steal from them.

"It's not racist except for those times it was totally racist"

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Yinlock posted:

"It's not racist except for those times it was totally racist"

Gonna play devil's advocate here, but I can't say that I've ever seen a black special forces soldier from Russia, China, Korea, or Israel, who would presumably be the major non-American powers they would be concerned with.

It's about as racist as the Steven Spielberg's exclusion of black soldiers at the Normandy landing in Saving Private Ryan.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The scenario itself is ludicrous because it portrays the other countries as weird thieves who are out to steal the visitors in order to enter into negotiations with Pina, which makes no sense because Japan is required by international law to not interfere with diplomatic meetings and their presence in Japan isn't a secret (they were on live TV). America doesn't need to send the SF, nor does anyone else, they can send loving interns out of their embassies if they want and Japan's not allowed to stop them.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
The fact that Japan, a member of the apparently non-existent U.N., is allowed to declare such a major location their territory and everyone else has to slink around the sidelines makes no sense. Realistically there would be a multi-national cooperative sent through the gate.

Edit: That being said, the premise doesn't bother me just the execution at times.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Brought To You By posted:

The fact that Japan, a member of the apparently non-existent U.N., is allowed to declare such a major location their territory and everyone else has to slink around the sidelines makes no sense. Realistically there would be a multi-national cooperative sent through the gate.
Are there gates in other countries? If the only gate is in Japan and they're interested enough in maintaining control that they won't let other militaries into their territory in our world, then we enter into that area of international law where people openly ignore their bi/multi-lateral agreements and play the "if you really want it so bad, why don't you try to invade us?" card.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

The author thinking that we are still living in a world where countries (other than the US and Russia) have this kind of sovereignty over their lands does not surprise me at all.

International cooperation of for dirty hippie politicians who hate the glorious JSDF anyways.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Paracelsus posted:

Are there gates in other countries? If the only gate is in Japan and they're interested enough in maintaining control that they won't let other militaries into their territory in our world, then we enter into that area of international law where people openly ignore their bi/multi-lateral agreements and play the "if you really want it so bad, why don't you try to invade us?" card.

The only gate is in Japan. Normally, what would happen is that Japan's allies would ask to be part of the expedition. If Japan said no then they would "ask" again, and then Japan would say yes. The end.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Paracelsus posted:

I'm not too familiar with international law, but I know that a few time in the past the U.N. has created inspection teams to enter into member nations for weapon inspections and such. I figure that with an event as huge as having a portal to another world appear on earth, and the fact that Japan is a member of the U.N. there would be no way in hell only they would be allowed to go through to the other side regardless of whose territory it appeared on.

The only countries I could see actually being able to keep everyone else out are ironically China, the US, Russia, and maybe North Korea. Since the big three are major powers in the U.N. with veto power and North Korea is crazy.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
Real hosed up that the tanks vs dragons manga doesn't confirm to modern day international law.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Rather, it would probably have been better if they didn't even bother to include the international dramatics in the first place. Just ignore it or handwave it, no one is going to really care.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Dec 15, 2014

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Yeah. If a Japanese writer wants only the JSDF to get involved in Fantasy Peace Keeping Operation, I am willing to just roll with it. But when you have spec ops teams from two (or three?) other countries simultaneously attack the same resort in order to kidnap your foreign dignitaries, then you are just asking for it.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Political intrigue is more interesting than watching low fantasy forces get repeatedly trashed. But if you know nothing about politics, you shouldn't try to write about it. That's the bottom line.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Rodyle posted:

Political intrigue is more interesting than watching low fantasy forces get repeatedly trashed.
Speak for yourself :q:

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

At this point I'm pretty convinced you're getting sexual satisfaction on making GBS threads on far from terrible manga.

A form of coprophilia, if you will.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Jackard posted:

Speak for yourself :q:
Oh I enjoy seeing a Centurion get hit with a rocket launcher as much as anyone, I just like well done skullduggery more.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

KaneTW posted:

At this point I'm pretty convinced you're getting sexual satisfaction on making GBS threads on far from terrible manga.

A form of coprophilia, if you will.

You really picked the wrong battleground to start accusing people of what they derive sexual satisfaction.

KaneTW posted:

I didn't find her bad at all. It's like, yeah, she's child bodied but she doesn't behave or even is a child.

"Yeah, but even though she's shown as physically a child she acts like an adult so I'm cool with it"

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

pentyne posted:

You really picked the wrong battleground to start accusing people of what they derive sexual satisfaction.

"Yeah, but even though she's shown as physically a child she acts like an adult so I'm cool with it"

Where exactly did I say I want to bone Rory? Stop putting words in my mouth.

Also jesus gently caress your sense of humor is totally loving broken if you thought I seriously meant the sexual satisfaction part. It's something people call a joke you dimwit.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

It's not that bad in and of itself (especially when compared to the other crap brought up in this thread), but it's primarily about twelve-year-old girls, several of who are lesbians. The fanbase can get predictably weird and unpleasant.

People complain about anime avatar havers on SA but I'd rather have a single anime avatar haver than the worthless mutants with Gunnerkrigg Court avs who are a hundred percent kiddy fiddlers.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

People complain about anime avatar havers on SA but I'd rather have a single anime avatar haver than the worthless mutants with Gunnerkrigg Court avs who are a hundred percent kiddy fiddlers.

Some of us were given Gunnerkrigg Court avatars by someone for posting in the JoJo thread. Don't lump us in with those guys. :colbert:

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

I remember when this manga (and it's preceding LN series) started to make the rounds on /a/, as well as on baka-tsuki, SpaceBattles,. Beast's Lair, and other forums a couple years back, the latter two where I believe Rodyle first came across this series. Watching him become incredibly disillusioned with the series as it goes on on the Beat's Lair thread, alogn with everyone else, is pretty much one of the reasons i keep following this manga. Everyone who I've seen talk about the series in those forums says that this has a decent concept ruined by terrible right wing JAPAN STRONK nationalism, political screeds, and ham handed writing by the author. And going off of the fact that those elements were toned down for a wider release from his web original novels does not fill me with any more confidence.

I mostly continue to read the series since I want to see where the trainwreck goes from here. Alarm bells started going off more heavily once the whole JSDF party plus protagonist's harem goes to testify in front of the Diet chapter happened, especially with that particular female Diet member who was attacking the plucky JSDF for not protecting all the civilians from a dragon attack. Though I guess there were warning signs prior to that, especially concerning Rory Mercury, the aforementioned 900+ year old loli demigoddess, and he tendency to get aroused when she's near people being killed.

And then right afterwards is the aforementioned hot spring chapter, with American, Chinese, and Russian Special Forces running into each other in an attempt to capture the diplomatic delegation from across the Gate in order to conduct their own negotiations with them. Of course, the Japanese security detachment at the resort (inexplicably given codenames referencing Servant classes from the Fate series) manages to fight off a majority of them, leading to the much lambasted line about only the US having black men as agents. The survivors of the three groups run into each other, only to be slaughtered by the aforementioned loli demigoddess, who was previously attempting to seduce the otaku Ranger JSDF protagonist, who inexplicably personally knows the Japanese Minister of Defense because both of them are otaku who meet up at Comiket...

There's some decent political stuff that goes on the other side of the Gate, but again, it's all pretty ham handed. Princess Pina Colada can be an interesting character, if only to show how different mindsets are. However, the whole thing with her brother, the rear end in a top hat prince, and him keeping that captured Japanese woman as a slave was pretty terribly handled, only serving to show the difference in worldviews regarding civilians, and allowing the female sergeant of the JSDF group the opportunity to beat up the prince physically in retaliation, after killing all of his bodyguards using her bayoneted rifle in melee (against trained swordsmen, apparently she's been trained in some sort of martial arts involving use of the bayonet?) and only shooting them after they tried to swarm her down , followed by the JASDF using F4 Phantoms to drop a 2000-lb bomb through the window of the Imperial Senate building to demonstrate how powerful they are in a dickwaving contest. And then there's the whole thing with the prince's primary slave, the former bunny girl queen, attempting to assassinate the that released Japanese slave in order to provoke the JSDF into destroying the empire which enslaved her and her people, albeit totally misinterpreting the political situation in trying to do so.

Sure, the military stuff tends to be one sided as all hell, but with how poorly the political stuff tends to be written, I almost prefer the military stuff, since it's at least somewhat interesting to see. The whole thing with the JSDF using the otaku protagonist setting out with a small squad (with a wink and a nod from the higher ups) to respond to a dragon attack (which they are partially responsible for, as they blew off one of it's arms using a Panzerfaust 3 as it attacked the big titted elf's village, sending the thing into a rampage across the countryside) as a pretense to move an army through the Empire and survey for oil at the same time as retrieving him was interesting, but then it all bogged down once they reached the dark elf village the dragon is attacking since the elf that brought them there insists on sleeping with the otaku protagonist as the village has nothing with which pay him with for taking out the dragon except the body of the elf in question...

pentyne posted:

It's pretty bad when the most understandable thing going on in a fantasy meets modern world series is that a huge titted elf girl has terrible PTSD and they spend chapters on planning to cure her.
Well, the Japanese mindset on the treatment of mental illness is not the best (understatement of the year there, there's a huge stigma about confronting someone's mental illness in east Asia and Japan specifically, they mostly ignore it until it's impossible to do so anymore), so the otaku JSDF protagonist who the big titted elf sees as her dead father and who has been feeding that delusion for months up until then, is trying to get her to confront it in the most direct way possible, since he doesn't know any other way and is scarred by his mom self-immolating because of her own untreated mental issues. Not saying that it's well done, but it's understandable given their views on the subject.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

GhostStalker posted:

[...] and allowing the female sergeant of the JSDF group the opportunity to beat up the prince physically in retaliation, after killing all of his bodyguards using her bayoneted rifle in melee (against trained swordsmen, apparently she's been trained in some sort of martial arts involving use of the bayonet?) and only shooting them after they tried to swarm her down

Are you implying that this was not in fact one of the coolest scenes in the series and one of the few reasons I am still trudging through this fetid morass of a manga?

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Rexides posted:

Are you implying that this was not in fact one of the coolest scenes in the series and one of the few reasons I am still trudging through this fetid morass of a manga?

I'm saying that there's no way she should've been able to do that, especially since bayonet drill is not something any modern army trains in, and she was going against trained swordsmen. Sure, they might've just been bully boy bodyguards for the prince, but you would expect his retinue to have some training in repelling a woman attacking them in melee. If she'd just shot them all straight up with her rifle, I would have no problem with the scene.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Rexides posted:

Steel bayonet+modern military training to fight symmetric and asymmetric warfare vs. a bunch of dudes used to fighting in shield and spear formation and/or simply cutting down arrogant peasants?

She only kills 3 of them with the knife, all were unarmored and likely expecting no challenge, especially from a woman, then jumps back and simply guns down the rest. Fun as hell to see, unlikely for sure, but definitely not some insanely impossible anime fight.

GhostStalker posted:

I'm saying that there's no way she should've been able to do that, especially since bayonet drill is not something any modern army trains in, and she was going against trained swordsmen. Sure, they might've just been bully boy bodyguards for the prince, but you would expect his retinue to have some training in repelling a woman attacking them in melee. If she'd just shot them all straight up with her rifle, I would have no problem with the scene.

It was portrayed as one of those "only one person attacks at a time" like you always see in movies, so she can easily outmaneuver each person because no one is attacking her sides or back. Even someone with a M16 would get killed if rushed in close quarters by 6+ unarmed people only a few meters away.

Right after that the actual Imperial Guards form up ranks around them and would certainly be able to kill them instantly until the Emperor calls them off. But then again, complaining about super-soldier huge tits JDSF woman doing the unlikely/impossible is kind of the wrong thing to complain about as far as this series goes.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Dec 16, 2014

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

jwang posted:

... someone just wrote in whatever sounded coolest in the bubbles. That probably would have worked out better, kind of like how Darth and Droids made the Star Wars prequels much more bearable.

Thank you for introducing me to Darth and Droids comics of the Star Wars prequels. This has been the only good thing to come out of reading any of this dumb JSDF comic.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Is there any Japanese military fiction that at least rises to Clancy level? Or is it all John Ringo tier stuff?

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

P-Mack posted:

Is there any Japanese military fiction that at least rises to Clancy level? Or is it all John Ringo tier stuff?

Try Patlabor 2 which is a lot better than anything Clancy wrote.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

P-Mack posted:

For a long time in anime whenever war/fighting was a major part of a series is was usually portrayed as unglamorous and universally destructive, lone soldiers fighting impossible odds, bad things happen, etc. The move to "rah rah great noble Japan will crush all enemies" is relatively recent as far as popular series go. Things like Mahouka where magical Japan is spoiling for a fight with China and everyone else would never have been made in the 80s because no one would've bought it in large quantities.

It's probably a cultural shift thing, the market for current anime/VN/LN/manga in Japan is divided between mass market consumption, things like WSJ, shounen anime series, etc and on the other side its weird otaku nutjobs who will spend thousands and thousands of dollars individually on their favorite series. Japanese Blu-ray releases only include 2 episodes because someone in the sales/marketing department realized that they could just charge $60 for two episodes rather then four episodes, because the people who were going to spend that $60 on four will do the exact same for the two episode disc. So they lose maybe 40% of sales but make 50% more over the sale of 2 blu-rays.

These otaku buying up in such large volumes and at such a huge expense have dictated how the market responds. The Japanese Billboard 100 equivalent is just dozens of idol groups because said otakus buy hundreds or thousands of CD's for the handshake coupons/bonuses and then just throw the actual disc away. I saw an article from a Japanese cultural critic (something along those lines) where they decried the current state of Japanese music culture and pointed out how many foreign music artists/styles are really popular in Japan but Japanese pop music is only popular in Japan.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

pentyne posted:

For a long time in anime whenever war/fighting was a major part of a series is was usually portrayed as unglamorous and universally destructive, lone soldiers fighting impossible odds, bad things happen, etc. The move to "rah rah great noble Japan will crush all enemies" is relatively recent as far as popular series go. Things like Mahouka where magical Japan is spoiling for a fight with China and everyone else would never have been made in the 80s because no one would've bought it in large quantities.

It's probably a cultural shift thing, the market for current anime/VN/LN/manga in Japan is divided between mass market consumption, things like WSJ, shounen anime series, etc and on the other side its weird otaku nutjobs who will spend thousands and thousands of dollars individually on their favorite series. Japanese Blu-ray releases only include 2 episodes because someone in the sales/marketing department realized that they could just charge $60 for two episodes rather then four episodes, because the people who were going to spend that $60 on four will do the exact same for the two episode disc. So they lose maybe 40% of sales but make 50% more over the sale of 2 blu-rays.

These otaku buying up in such large volumes and at such a huge expense have dictated how the market responds. The Japanese Billboard 100 equivalent is just dozens of idol groups because said otakus buy hundreds or thousands of CD's for the handshake coupons/bonuses and then just throw the actual disc away. I saw an article from a Japanese cultural critic (something along those lines) where they decried the current state of Japanese music culture and pointed out how many foreign music artists/styles are really popular in Japan but Japanese pop music is only popular in Japan.

I'm usually among the first to distinguish otaku culture from Japanese culture in general, but let's not pretend the political attitudes involved only exist among otaku. Look at the Prime Minister.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Nah, he is just trying to secure the critical otaku vote.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Butt Frosted Cake posted:

Try Patlabor 2 which is a lot better than anything Clancy wrote.

No lie. The Patlabor series is the best mecha series ever.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Congratulations

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

well gently caress

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

If it follows the pattern then the racism/nationalism will be even further reduced.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Still won't stop it from being an absolutely terrible story for anyone that's not part of the target demographic.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

jwang posted:

Still won't stop it from being an absolutely terrible story for anyone that's not part of the target demographic.

When has that ever stopped anyone from making an anime series?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

pentyne posted:

If it follows the pattern then the racism/nationalism will be even further reduced.
Things like modern military attacking a dragon will be cooler, and things like Rory Mercury will be even worse.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Jackard posted:

Things like modern military attacking a dragon will be cooler, and things like Rory Mercury will be even worse.

Can't wait to see how they handle the Nanking denial and the whole "only country with black men amongst their agents is America" without the internet blowing up about it even more then they are now.

Cialis Railman
Apr 20, 2007

Awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

pentyne posted:

I honestly have a little shred of hope, because the actual concept is pretty fun. They just need to ignore all of the parts of the manga that take place on the Japan side of the gate.

• Locked thread