Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
I think I've read this. Is there a scene where the noble JSDF uses attack helicopters to wipe out a giant fantasy army with no casualties, described in loving detail? Because i pretty much stopped reading after that. It is seriously one of the most boring action sequences I have ever seen, like the author has never even heard of the idea of dramatic tension.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Paracelsus posted:

Standard military doctrine is to whenever possible go in with overwhelming force so there's no chance you lose. Are you saying you want your protagonists to be terrible at their job and risk getting a bunch of their people killed just for bravado's sake?

If the only way you can make things interesting is by making people incompetent then you are a bad author. You could, you know, make the other side equally competent. These guys use loving magic. You could easily argue that their specially enchanted armor stops bullets better than a kevlar west, that their summoned lightning bolts interfere with the radios and knock out electronic equipment or that the earth golems are almost immune to direct fire because they have no vital parts that can be damaged. But no, instead its "look at all these dumb savages, let's carpet bomb them out of existence while we stroke ourselves raw about how brave and noble we are".

It might be realistic, but it is a goddamn story and if you write a story with loving dragons in it to be "realistic" then you are a failure as a writer. Realism has no place in fiction writing. Internal consistency has, which is what people usually refer to when they say they want a realistic story, but that only means the story can't contradict itself and can't break suspension of disbelief. Which absolutely includes the possibility that a fantasy army can give a modern technological one a run for its money.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

SSNeoman posted:

Did he counter with "no, no, no! I'm an ephebophile!"?

"Does this land even have age of consent laws?"

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

GhostStalker posted:

Obama is in the sequel, where they invade Heaven. I don't remember anything negative about him being mentioned though.

Except Bush being super condescending to him every step during the transition.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

ViggyNash posted:

I hate Bush with a passion and even I couldn't see him doing that, at least not in public. Is that played for laughs or something, or totally straight?

Let's just say he constantly refers to the President-elect of the United States of America as "Barry". If I remember right, the story implied they had some sort of mentor-student relationship because Bush had so much experience in international policy making.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

ManlyGrunting posted:

When Michael turns on not-God he insults him by calling him using every letter of the alphabet (ie you're an amoral, belligerent, crazy) etc. It is the worst loving thing. That whole thing is just the worst loving thing, what kind of rear end in a top hat thinks it's a good story when their side just butchers a totally evil yet horrifically outclassed enemy? It's like cheering for the British empire in a story where they completely slaughter the Zulus or Chinese or what have you.

It's some unholy hybrid of reddit atheism and neocons, really. "Christians are so dumb, this is what they actually believe. Look how dumb that is. Let's assume it's true. That would be so dumb. Here is how God looks. He looks so dumb. This is what he would do. It is very dumb. It is really dumb. It fails, because God is so dumb. Here are some people laughing at God because he is very dumb. Here the people beat the forces of God because God is very dumb. He is so dumb. Look at how dumb he is. So dumb."

Making a compelling story took a back seat to showing how hard the humans would gently caress the demons/angels up because they are dumb and we are smart.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

VoLaTiLe posted:

We all know if UK were there SAS would have kicked everyones booty

:britain:

SAS_rappling_down_iranian_embassy.tiff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

drilldo squirt posted:

I do like how like the elected people in this show keep backstabbing the military, however.

wow fascist

• Locked thread