Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Zzulu posted:

scandinavia.jpg

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirJohanna
Nov 23, 2007

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
pretty sure finland is cool and good and metal comes from there

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

generative grammer posted:

finland.jpg, a slice of life

images courtesy of Finland In Pictures thread in the punkinfinland.net forums

recommended background music: jean sibelius - finlandia, op. 26

It's like Russia if everyone was a sad and bitter drunk instead of an easy-going "Don't give a gently caress" drunk

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
Nobody talks to each other except at the pub, they have an abundance of ugly modernist buildings making GBS threads up the landscape and a love for metal.
Jesusssssss let sweden take over again

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHfhMDBU_kA

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
and also those pics perfectly summarize the experience of finland. They got some real problems/anxieties simmering here.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Russia castrated sweden 1809

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
my dad lives in norway its okay i guess. he drives across the border to go shopping in sweden where iuts cheaper. one time when i was over visiting we went across to sweden for my first time ever and the first thing i saw was a guy drunk at like 9am pissing in a bus shelter. that's my sweden story. :)

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012
4 generations in and every person of Finnish descent I know...literally a hundred or so...either has depression or is an extreme loner.

Women who are culturally Finnish are really easy to date, they don't really give a poo poo what you do most of the time and just leave you to yourself if you don't want to be bothered. They make good girlfriends. Most of them are atheist so you don't have to worry about going to church or other dumb stuff. They are obsessed with coffee and saunas because if you could boil Finnish culture down to three things it would be saunas, coffee, and licorice.

http://www.finnstyle.com/

Here is a retailer based out of Minneapolis that imports things only made in Finland.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

The Walking Dad posted:

if you could boil Finnish culture down to three things it would be saunas, coffee, and licorice.

i think youre forgetting some very important things here

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012

rear end cobra posted:

i think youre forgetting some very important things here

*thinks for a second*

Nope.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Wild Horses posted:

and also those pics perfectly summarize the experience of finland. They got some real problems/anxieties simmering here.

'twas beautiful and made me recall why I love this land

love it or leave it

balalaikka perseeseen ja itärajalle

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
The Finns are good at killing Russians. You mock them now, but when Ivan comes pouring through the Fulda Gap, we will beg them to save us.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Send all Finns to Eastern Ukraine to defeat the Russian 'Seperatist' forces... :v:

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

LordArgh posted:

The Finns are good at killing Russians. You mock them now, but when Ivan comes pouring through the Fulda Gap, we will beg them to save us.
This had as much to do with clever Finns as it did with the Red Army being hilariously incompetent. Winter is a great time for a large offensive campaign, don't ya know?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Oberleutnant posted:

my dad lives in norway its okay i guess. he drives across the border to go shopping in sweden where iuts cheaper. one time when i was over visiting we went across to sweden for my first time ever and the first thing i saw was a guy drunk at like 9am pissing in a bus shelter. that's my sweden story. :)

Sounds like you spotted an errant Finn. Also I hear they love knives so be careful when approaching them.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5fQZhv0poU

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
A lot of fins immigrated to Northern Wisconsin and the UP. This is because those places are just as cold, dark, and lonely as Finland. As a result Norther Wisconsin and the UP are lousy with saunas, ski jumps, and weird types of fermented fish.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
I never really thought about Fins before but after three pages I've decided that most fin dudes look kind of like John C. Reilly.

autoaim.cfg
Aug 6, 2005
:qq: WHINY SHITHEAD :qq:
*drops mic*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWuyrlXI7nA

This is the way a frighteningly large percentage of Finnish speaking finns speak English, even in this day and age. They have an astonishingly crap ability at learning and speaking other languages. Swedish speaking finns generally speak much better english. It's a bilingual country with regions of swedish speaking people, but most of the country is purely made up of finnish speaking finns and OH BOY, do they lack in language skills. As a Swedish speaking Finn, myself, I have always wondered just how come the Finnish speaking population seem so fundamentally INCAPABLE of learning english pronounciations of words. It still baffles me.

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

I'm thinking with my standard and average aesthetics in Finland I'd be way more attractive by comparison and swimming in sweet Finnish poosay. Hmmmm.

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
finnish is some kind of crazy language that isn't like any other language except hungarian or whatever, so it makes sense that they'd have more trouble learning english than someone who speaks something closer to it

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

this girl is hot

generative grammer
Jul 28, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
it doesn't baffle me that a potatisodlare från västkusten can't grasp basic linguistics

language pedagogy has been too grammar and text oriented for years tho

Budohead
Feb 13, 2011

Head Case

autoaim.cfg posted:

This is the way a frighteningly large percentage of Finnish speaking finns speak English, even in this day and age. They have an astonishingly crap ability at learning and speaking other languages. Swedish speaking finns generally speak much better english. It's a bilingual country with regions of swedish speaking people, but most of the country is purely made up of finnish speaking finns and OH BOY, do they lack in language skills. As a Swedish speaking Finn, myself, I have always wondered just how come the Finnish speaking population seem so fundamentally INCAPABLE of learning english pronounciations of words. It still baffles me.

They're very different phonetically with English having all sorts of sibilants and diphthongs that aren't present in Finnish. There's also the fact that Finnish is written phonetically while written English is WRITTEN ENGLISH so it's not like someone from that background without native speakers to interact with is going to pick that poo poo up by their lonesome.

Also it's not their loving job to assume some picturesque RP or GA so what the gently caress kind of attitude is that supposed to be.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The Walking Dad posted:

*thinks for a second*

Nope.

beating self senseless with birch branches in the sauna

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp1yclQXd1Q

autoaim.cfg
Aug 6, 2005
*drops mic*
Is doesn't help that every single english brand or title is completely bastardized in media. What's Renault called in Finnish? Re-Na-Ulth! What's Peugeot called in finnish? Pe-Uh-Ge-Oth! Swedish garden warehouse Plantagen chain establishes itself in Finland; What do the commercials call it? Plantta-Ken! Hey, in a couple of days they're rolling out a new television channel called Hero, right? Have you seen the commercials for it? He-Roh! No goddamned wonder the Finns are impervious to picking up the English language -- they have institutionalized turning every non-finnish word into gibberish more suitable for a Finnish speaking palate.

It was understandable in the 80's and perhaps the 90's but Jesus Christ on a stick... in the media saturated world of 2014 with English as lingua franca, how the hell are the Finnish speaking still so apprently resistant to picking English up? It's like there's an active mental block that prevents them from learning jack-poo poo as a people when it comes to languages. I don't know why that is, becase we potatisodlare från västkusten are quite able to learn english and not sound like Matti Nykänen when we speak.

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

This is supposed to be the military that pwned Russia.

autoaim.cfg
Aug 6, 2005
*drops mic*
No, those are Norwegians. The Finns had Simo Häyhä and a buttload of Sisu --> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simo_H%C3%A4yh%C3%A4

:tipshat:

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

autoaim.cfg posted:

No, those are Norwegians.

Yeah whatever same thing :colbert:

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
still trying to figure out the difference between norway sweden finland, estonia, denmark netherlands and belgium

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

vikings didn't actually care about plunder or killing monks, they just wanted to escape the miserable depressing weather.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Top City Homo posted:

still trying to figure out the difference between norway sweden finland, estonia, denmark netherlands and belgium
figure out the differences between US states and add centuries of separation and you've got it

if it makes english speakers feel any better, i learned the language from japanese videogames. "we're not in kansas anymore" -vandal hearts, konami

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
Finns are pretty great people and fun as gently caress to drink with. Much better than Norwegians certainly.

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide
Here is a picture of a Swedish speaking Finn surrounded by a family of Finnish Finns.

Take special note of their knives. Where other languages have verbs and adjectives, the Finns rely on their knives. A a light flick of the blade, a quick stab to the gut – constituent, fundamental elements of Finnish syntax and grammar.

The beautiful, elfin Swedish speaking Finn, meanwhile, is responsible for every single thing of note in Finnish history ever. You're welcome Finland.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Top City Homo posted:

Norway, Sweden and to a lesser extent, Denmark - The Real Scandinavia

The rest - Garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mVONyfs0bM

• Locked thread