Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Viruswithshoes
Mar 26, 2007

So there I was, watching 'Limitless' and I gots a thinkin: drat this movie is pretty stupid.

If he's so smart, why doesn't he write more awesome novels and live off the commission and adulation? Or keep on gambling and winning everytime. Or set up his own sweet hedge fund company and then Robert De Niro wouldn't even need to be in this dumb movie. And what happened to that dead woman? And why does he get back with his ex when he can just get mad hot pussy anytime he wants?

Makes you think about all the things he could have done instead. It just doesn't make much sense if you ask me, and lots of people do. I enjoyed it though because it wasn't too long. I'd give it 7/10. God bless America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
Writing about the plot holes in Limitless and not immediately bringing up the girl using 'ice-skating child' as the most obvious weapon in a 1-mile radius is a huge oversight.

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
It was just a dumb little pop premise movie like inception and not worth thinking about ever again

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

offhand I can't think of a single movie that gives the protagonist magic powers where he actually uses them in a smart way

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
he should've proven that 9/11 was an inside job

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
at least then it would be consistently dumb

Electric Charity
Mar 22, 2009
cradley booper

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Torka posted:

offhand I can't think of a single movie that gives the protagonist magic powers where he actually uses them in a smart way

Yeah, but you can at least have plot or character reasons for stupidity. Like Chronicle.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
its how dumb people think smart people see the world
they just magically see the answer for extremely complicated poo poo literally float in front of them without working it out
see also: computer hacking

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

gary oldmans diary posted:

its how dumb people think smart people see the world
they just magically see the answer for extremely complicated poo poo literally float in front of them without working it out
see also: computer hacking

Opinion of a dumb person ^

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
who told you

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

noone, i'm super smart so i just had to look at your post and instantly solved the mystery

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
hahaha

e: several minutes later i realize im actually confused and cant follow the conversation
wish i could figure it out :eng99:

e2: ...the answer would just float in front of me

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Nov 9, 2014

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
thanks for the perfect set up

you could say this joke is limitless

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Cocaine makes you super smart!

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:
i didn't get how he magically made his powers permanent at the end, there must've been at least 7 wizards involved.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

wouldn't a magic pill to make his johnson bigger be a more effective route to making his girlfriend not leave him?

(it was a bored and gonna watch netflix tier movie)

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Netflix is surprisingly awful at passing the "hmm i wonder if this movie i want to see is on netflix" test. I usually end up torrenting whatever i want to see. Fuckem

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Also limitless was well done and entertaining and the russian character was great and well worth tolerating the few stupid scenes (fight in subway..death by ice skate)

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Bradley coopers best role was a talking space raccoon.

Topographic Nap
Apr 22, 2007

You can build an electrical device for less than $50 that will stimulate your brain through your skull and provide mental gains similar to those seen with use of stimulants. You could wear it 24/7 and be like Bradley Cooper

Pierat
Mar 29, 2008
ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE THE BNP

etalian posted:

Bradley coopers best role was a talking space raccoon.

no he was better as skip or flap or whoever in wedding crashers

Angela Lansburial
Feb 9, 2005
Nothing to see here.
the movie says drugs = good when actually drugs = bad? pretty big plot hole imo

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
better movie Limitless or that Scarjo one

yoyodyne
May 7, 2007
He should have used his powers to restore ethics to game journalism.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Naerasa posted:

Writing about the plot holes in Limitless and not immediately bringing up the girl using 'ice-skating child' as the most obvious weapon in a 1-mile radius is a huge oversight.

It doesn't just give you smarts, it gives you style

e: that is why Bradley Cooper goes out and gets himself a natty suit and a haircut, when irl most superintelligent people look like absolute dogshit

Clipperton fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Nov 9, 2014

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Viruswithshoes posted:

So there I was, watching 'Limitless' and I gots a thinkin: drat this movie is pretty stupid.

If he's so smart, why doesn't he write more awesome novels and live off the commission and adulation? Or keep on gambling and winning everytime. Or set up his own sweet hedge fund company and then Robert De Niro wouldn't even need to be in this dumb movie. And what happened to that dead woman? And why does he get back with his ex when he can just get mad hot pussy anytime he wants?

Makes you think about all the things he could have done instead. It just doesn't make much sense if you ask me, and lots of people do. I enjoyed it though because it wasn't too long. I'd give it 7/10. God bless America.

why didn't you just read the short philip k dick story in like 15 mins and save yourself the time wasted watching a bad movie.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

TOILETLORD posted:

why didn't you just read the short philip k dick story in like 15 mins and save yourself the time wasted watching a bad movie.
im not as well read in literature as you which philip k dick story is that

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Naerasa posted:

This was the best part. Instead of just yelling rape she literally throws a child at the man with a knife.
Also did his brain tell him how to fix herpes cause that whore most definitely had it

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

im not as well read in literature as you which philip k dick story is that

huh okay it's based on a book called the dark fields which stole from a short story i don;t have time to find the name of.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

TOILETLORD posted:

huh okay it's based on a book called the dark fields which stole from a short story i don;t have time to find the name of.
man it sucks that youre too strapped for time to find the name of the philip k dick short story you read that you said limitless was based off of

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

man it sucks that youre too strapped for time to find the name of the philip k dick short story you said limitless was based off of

i'm not too busy i'm too lazy to read the plot synopsis to 100+ish short stories, he wrote. The man wrote 40-80 pages a day.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

TOILETLORD posted:

i'm not too busy i'm too lazy to read the plot synopsis to 100+ish short stories, he wrote. The man wrote 40-80 pages a day.

everyone should read, or at least skim, VALIS. that book is some poo poo. insanity articulated.

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

TOILETLORD posted:

if only there was some kind of limits-decreasing drug which could speed that up for you

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

TOILETLORD posted:

i suppose eventually having read too much distinguished literature to remember things like names or searchable terms is the price you pay for not wasting time watching lowbrow movies like limitless

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
heck i could just be confused and thinking of a short story by asimov or bradbury to be honest.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
no i think it will come to you

TOILETLORD posted:

i mean when someone has really read all this great stuff they said they read it is a privilege to get a specific recommendation like this well worth waiting for

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

I just read the plot summary for the book and the ending is more fitting IMO:

Eddie Spinola is a copywriter at a small publishing house in New York city. He starts using MDT-48, an experimental drug granting heightened intellectual, creative, and learning powers, and enabling its user to see meaningful patterns in large amounts of disparate information. However, he experiences drug dependence and mental instability.[3] On the run from police and creditors, facing death due to withdrawal from the drug, which he can no longer afford, his new career in high finance cut short by his increasingly erratic behavior, Eddie notices the President on television and recognizes the "alert, gorged MDT expression in his eyes." Then after he notices this, he succumbs to the lack of MDT and closes his eyes for the last time.[4][5]

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

TOILETLORD posted:

heck i could just be confused and thinking of a short story by asimov or bradbury to be honest.

You are probably thinking of The Adjustment Bureau aka "The Adjustment Team".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
toiletlord doesnt need any help remembering the name of that short story he really did read that isnt a hodgepodge of various wikipedia articles

• Locked thread