Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
That run made me feel dirty... I mean... I was working for Future Justin Beiber. The rest of it was mildly scarring as I don't really want to hear about other people's lives in that much detail, but still... working for future beiber. Auug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

(Quote for new page)

Another run I was absent for about half of, and ended up being vital for! There's no way this trend will continue! (:argh:)

BenS
Nov 11, 2014

Zebrin posted:

That run made me feel dirty... I mean... I was working for Future Justin Beiber. The rest of it was mildly scarring as I don't really want to hear about other people's lives in that much detail, but still... working for future beiber. Auug.

That's exactly how I felt while listening to it. I mean, yeah, hearing about his personal life in those details was a tiny bit horrifying (though I think I didn't catch the full implications until you all started talking about it,) but... CyBieliber. That is enough to make a Runner look in the mirror and ask "How did it come to this?"

That said, I was shocked and yet oddly impressed that the group decided to show some clemency to the blackmailer. Considering the discussion up before that point, and how most PCs tend to treat people who cost them 4k nuyen by the end of it... yeah, shocked yet not disapproving.

Ablative posted:

Another run I was absent for about half of, and ended up being vital for! There's no way this trend will continue! (:argh:)

I sure hope not! It really might be a good idea to make sure someone else has your character sheet or something, just so that play doesn't have to stall if they need you to make a die roll for them. I hadn't thought that Deckers were so essential at times, but yeah, when it gets to the point when play goes to a stop when you aren't around... just something to think about, yeah?

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Part of how nice we treated blackmailer was that the two of us that had the final say on it were so deep into frown town about the relentless tasteless jokes that we felt like we had to be nicer people than normal.

I'll make sure we're better about that in the future.

tacosupreme
Jun 24, 2006
ask me about men.

BenS posted:

I sure hope not! It really might be a good idea to make sure someone else has your character sheet or something, just so that play doesn't have to stall if they need you to make a die roll for them. I hadn't thought that Deckers were so essential at times, but yeah, when it gets to the point when play goes to a stop when you aren't around... just something to think about, yeah?

As a weekly listener, i'd be interested in some updated character sheets to see just how chrome'd out and spell savvy the pcs are.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
I should probably apologize to anyone who found that session uncomfortable. Shadowrun pushes several issues, and I wanted to have a go at some of them. I wasn't trying to be judgemental, but I didn't take into account that different parts of the group would react differently to the same situation.

I've learned a lesson, and we will be returning to normal school burning mayhem this week. I think that's about all that needs to be said on the matter.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

tacosupreme posted:

As a weekly listener, i'd be interested in some updated character sheets to see just how chrome'd out and spell savvy the pcs are.

About as much as they were at the beginning, actually. 'Ware ain't cheap, spells take time. Nova can fall off a skyscraper and not notice, though, so there's that.

Re: absences, I know they're a problem, and I try to avoid them, but I don't get much say in when poo poo needs doing, and I certainly don't get much say in how much longer things take than expected. I may be bitter about this, can you tell?

On the subject of certain comments made: yeah, what the gently caress was I thinking. Holy poo poo.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Grey Hunter posted:

I should probably apologize to anyone who found that session uncomfortable. Shadowrun pushes several issues, and I wanted to have a go at some of them. I wasn't trying to be judgemental, but I didn't take into account that different parts of the group would react differently to the same situation.

I've learned a lesson, and we will be returning to normal school burning mayhem this week. I think that's about all that needs to be said on the matter.

Haven't watched the newest session yet, but Shadowrun is loving filled with racism(speceism?), corporations doing stuff that would make albert wesker blush, etc. It's not a nice place and if they don't feel uncomfortable about parts of a campaign, you're not doing it right :v:

Hell, go take a look at japan's timeline sometime, especially the parts about the Yomi island.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Nalesh posted:

Haven't watched the newest session yet, but Shadowrun is loving filled with racism(speceism?), corporations doing stuff that would make albert wesker blush, etc. It's not a nice place and if they don't feel uncomfortable about parts of a campaign, you're not doing it right :v:

Hell, go take a look at japan's timeline sometime, especially the parts about the Yomi island.

That's true, and I actually agree with you 100%- but we were actually getting mad at each other for how we reacted to the situation in this last session. It was bound to happen eventually- with a group as diverse as this one there was bound to be a culture shock event at some point.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Maybe I'm just too used to the games I'm in being borderline slaaneshi :v:

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Nalesh posted:

Maybe I'm just too used to the games I'm in being borderline slaaneshi :v:

I hear you there, but it's not for everyone and ultimately these games are about fun.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

It was a charged situation from the start. I fully admit to taking it a bit too far, but that was in the end part of the point. That run took us all way out of our comfort zones, most of us reacted by being far more crass than we should have been, others took it more seriously. One has something similar near and dear to their heart.
Not my place to say who was where on that spectrum. Either way, it did it's job wonderfully as something to pop our cherry on just how nasty certain issues can become in the Fifth World.
Regardless. Only one person dealt with it the way they really should have. I wasn't it. Rewatching this has actually kinda made me ashamed of myself. I already fully admit to not being a very good person, but that was far beyond the pale I try to limit myself to.

BenS
Nov 11, 2014

Grey Hunter posted:

Hey, sometimes that happens. You've got quite the group, and sometimes when you try something out, things don't go the way you expect. That's entirely all right- if I may, you might not want to completely shy away from some of the issues that Shadowrun raises, but maybe learn from this and talk it out and see how to do it better next time? As Nalesh was saying, Shadowrun raises a lot of issues, and it'd be a shame to avoid that and just do the school burning.

Not that I don't enjoy hearing you all raising all that mayhem, but sometimes variety is good!

Zebrin posted:

Only one person dealt with it the way they really should have. I wasn't it. Rewatching this has actually kinda made me ashamed of myself. I already fully admit to not being a very good person, but that was far beyond the pale I try to limit myself to.

In a different sense, but in a similar vein, these things happen? Funnily enough, sometimes it's gaming that makes us see a part of ourselves we don't like. Opportunity for addressing that with no real harm done, perhaps?

Ablative posted:

Re: absences, I know they're a problem, and I try to avoid them, but I don't get much say in when poo poo needs doing, and I certainly don't get much say in how much longer things take than expected. I may be bitter about this, can you tell?

And for the hat trick... these things happen. *laughs* I don't make the suggestion as a denigrating thing, but rather, well... we know that you sometimes get called away and you can't control that, that's fine. I'm just thinking that letting someone have access to die rolls might be a way to work with those constraints, especially since I can't imagine it's fun to come back to the table and realize that people have been waiting for you for awhile. Just a suggestion to help things along, y'know?

...that said, yeah, I think you're entitled to just a bit of bitterness, there.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

BenS posted:

And for the hat trick... these things happen. *laughs* I don't make the suggestion as a denigrating thing, but rather, well... we know that you sometimes get called away and you can't control that, that's fine. I'm just thinking that letting someone have access to die rolls might be a way to work with those constraints, especially since I can't imagine it's fun to come back to the table and realize that people have been waiting for you for awhile. Just a suggestion to help things along, y'know?

...that said, yeah, I think you're entitled to just a bit of bitterness, there.

Oh, I'm not bitter at you guys, I'm bitter at people not telling me these things are going to happen before they're yelling at me to get my rear end out there and help.

And I could have sworn Grey had access to our sheets? Fantasy Grounds can't be that bad, right? :ohdear:

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

I think he does, but I haven't actually updated my sheet on there since I started... it is a pain in the rear end, I just use chummer.. speaking of, I need to give him a copy of my chummer sheet so that he can use that instead of the crap I have in the vtable.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Zeb, I'm pretty sure you're in the sixth world, not the fifth. You can't do force 12 fireballs in the fifth world :v:

Also on a semi related note, I think kanye's a shadowrunner too.

Nalesh fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Dec 20, 2014

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

This session is a thing of beauty. That is all.

Merry Christmas!

BenS
Nov 11, 2014

Ablative posted:

Oh, I'm not bitter at you guys, I'm bitter at people not telling me these things are going to happen before they're yelling at me to get my rear end out there and help.

And I could have sworn Grey had access to our sheets? Fantasy Grounds can't be that bad, right? :ohdear:

That is completely understandable, and you have my sympathies. And if Grey does have them... suddenly the plot thickens! And we'd have a new person to wag our fingers at when things like that happen.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
Oh jesus. Shadowrun is up to 5th edition?

I kinda stopped caring after the abortion that was SR4.

Is SR5 good?

I'll have to go through the backlog of this

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

BenS posted:

That is completely understandable, and you have my sympathies. And if Grey does have them... suddenly the plot thickens! And we'd have a new person to wag our fingers at when things like that happen.

Turns out Grey does have access to our FG sheets, but I'm the only one who bothers to keep that one up to date! Go figure.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Gibbo posted:

Oh jesus. Shadowrun is up to 5th edition?

I kinda stopped caring after the abortion that was SR4.

Is SR5 good?

I'll have to go through the backlog of this

Well, it adds a ton of classic Shadowrun rules bloat and bullshit back in, so if your opinion of awful editions of Shadowrun are the more streamlined and simpler versions, then yeah, 5 is pretty good.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Well, it adds a ton of classic Shadowrun rules bloat and bullshit back in, so if your opinion of awful editions of Shadowrun are the more streamlined and simpler versions, then yeah, 5 is pretty good.

All my Shadowrun experience was SR3. I glanced at 2 and saw some of the weirdness there. My main complaint with SR4 was it was too... Clean? The rules didn't seem lethal and the setting didn't seem gritty. I never actually played it though so I could just be being an angry judgemental nerd. I Will have to get the book and listen through your game to see.

Gibbo fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Dec 21, 2014

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Just listened to the latest year of Pendragon, and wow, that was certainly something. Quick question though, was that Sir Arya's oldest son that sided with Merlin over the PCs, or was it a PC? And mechanically, how did it happened? You rolled for it?

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Gibbo posted:

All my Shadowrun experience was SR3. I glanced at 2 and saw some of the weirdness there. My main complaint with SR4 was it was too... Clean? The rules didn't seem lethal and the setting didn't seem gritty. I never actually played it though so I could just be being an angry judgemental nerd. I Will have to get the book and listen through your game to see.

You'd enjoy 5 then. I'm sad that I missed this session; from the sounds of it it was a good one!

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

sullat posted:

Just listened to the latest year of Pendragon, and wow, that was certainly something. Quick question though, was that Sir Arya's oldest son that sided with Merlin over the PCs, or was it a PC? And mechanically, how did it happened? You rolled for it?

Arthurian legend in general has characters who experience extreme emotional reactions to things. This is represented in game by passions, in this case a critically failed passion roll (they even re-rolled it with a coin). The attempt was to get a bonus for following the Loyalty passion, which all the knights did and typically do often, but the failure caused something entirely different. So they roleplayed the failure quite well and Grey went with it, which is what's supposed to happen in Pendragon.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

wiegieman posted:

Arthurian legend in general has characters who experience extreme emotional reactions to things. This is represented in game by passions, in this case a critically failed passion roll (they even re-rolled it with a coin). The attempt was to get a bonus for following the Loyalty passion, which all the knights did and typically do often, but the failure caused something entirely different. So they roleplayed the failure quite well and Grey went with it, which is what's supposed to happen in Pendragon.

Unlike everything else in the game.

Which reminds me!

Part 1 - The Great Meeting
Part 2 - The Big Reveal
Part 3 - The Quest Begins
Part 4 - Deus Ex Washerwomen
Part 5 - A Legend Falls

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

sullat posted:

The character was Aliduke, son of Arrouse. I was planning on retiring Arrouse and passing on the PC mantle to Aliduke, but then a double fumble happened. That roll means the character goes crazy, stops whatever they're doing at the moment, and runs off. The gamebook suggests they disappear for a few years and come back changed, but given the context (everyone swearing for Arthur) a defection made more sense.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

And it was quite brilliantly played... watching you fight yourself, while roleplaying both sides was just funny. That my dice rolls kinda overshadowed your families fight is the only regret I have towards that whole thing.
Being able to post in chat "Holy gently caress, I just stole Excalibur! From Arthur's hand!" Followed shortly by saying "Dudes, I just killed Merlin!" And the reactions from that was just fun though.
Grey let's us reprobates get away with far too much. It is awesome though.

Zebrin fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Dec 21, 2014

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Zebrin posted:

And it was quite brilliantly played... watching you fight yourself, while roleplaying both sides was just funny. That my dice rolls kinda overshadowed your families fight is the only regret I have towards that whole thing.
Being able to post in chat "Holy gently caress, I just stole Excalibur! From Arthur's hand!" Followed shortly by saying "Dudes, I just killed Merlin!" And the reactions from that was just fun though.
Grey let's us reprobates get away with far too much. It is awesome though.

I do, but the next session was a massive swing in my direction. My dice have been on fire the last few weeks!

Also, it'll be interesting to see what you lot do to the Star Wars universe.....

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

How long has the pendragon campaign been going on anyway, you'd think after this many sessions some of these people must have accidentally/intentionally hosed over space time.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

18 Sessions.

Somewhere Malory is turning in his grave.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Oh, for some reason I thought the number was the number of sessions :v:

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Session 7 - Xmas Special

Part 1 - The Ghost of Mid May Xmas
Part 2 - Janitors of Doom
Part 3 - Greys present is baddies who can shoot
Part 4 - We're going to be framed
Part 5 - Very Bad Santa

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Grey, since you've got more experience with both 40k rpgs and gming in general, I've been working on a modular OW character system to make it so that people have a bit more choice with their starting equipment/skills, see anything you'd improve/change?

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Grey Hunter posted:

I do, but the next session was a massive swing in my direction. My dice have been on fire the last few weeks!

Also, it'll be interesting to see what you lot do to the Star Wars universe.....

First point, I am hoping that the christmas holidays douses your deadly loving dice.
Second point, we are likely going to break it.
Somewhere, a tear falls from Lucas' eye and he does not know why.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Zebrin posted:

First point, I am hoping that the christmas holidays douses your deadly loving dice.
Second point, we are likely going to break it.
Somewhere, a tear falls from Lucas' eye and he does not know why.

I paid to see Episode 1. He owes me at least one tear.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
I have played two characters with exact opposite intended personalities that ended up with the exact opposite personalities in practice.

Sergé was originally intended be extremely strict and formal and ended up a reckless mess.
BIG TRUCK was intended to be stupid and self-obsessed and ended up as responsible and likable.

I'm bad at thing.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Nova is meant to be unflappable and super professional, and that didn't quite work out either.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

The dice have a way of making mockeries of characters - I'm pretty sure Ollie-boy is not supposed to be the worlds worst negotiator!

Then you get the running gags, the in-character reactions to stations. Next thing you know, your hard rear end NPC is named King Phillip(a) of Dunwall, and has to wear a false beard to get around the "no women on the throne" laws.

Sorry, had a flashback to a FATE game I ran with some friends there.... only one of them had played a RPG before, and by Session 2 they had an animatronic Pirate-Captain Whitebeard marching up and down the deck of a zeppalin while they used him as cover to steal a plague being used by the military to infect the city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Grey Hunter posted:

Sorry, had a flashback to a FATE game I ran with some friends there.... only one of them had played a RPG before, and by Session 2 they had an animatronic Pirate-Captain Whitebeard marching up and down the deck of a zeppalin while they used him as cover to steal a plague being used by the military to infect the city.

That sounds like a fairly ideal outcome.

• Locked thread