Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
We did kinda destroy Grey's plans for glorious space combat by starting out with the most amazing thing ever... A teleportarium. And then turning it into our main battle plan.

But that is in the past.

Now we are onto NEW levels of insanity in Shadowrun. We have three people who have never played this system before.(Myself being one of them) And are gleefully doing everything we can to minmax the gently caress out of our characters so we can pull off some insane poo poo.

From what I can see of this system, we are going to have a glorious amount of fun. And I would wager that we are going to have a "Schools/Orphanages/homeless shelters Destroyed" counter by the end of this series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

BenS posted:

It sounds like this is going to be an interesting run. Never played Shadowrun myself, but I've always been curious about how it plays out in reality. Will be looking forward to seeing how your group handles Denver. Sounds like they're prone to running off the rails, which is always entertaining. :)

Thing is, this game has no rails to begin with. The runs are all pretty much self contained, though there is always a chance of something coming to bite us right the gently caress in the rear end if we piss off the wrong people. Denver is pretty much Runner Heaven though, since this many borders are around. This brings many tensions, which leads to more Runs. And that is for and against various companies. These borders don't really change much, but things like which security firm is in charge of what area does as contracts shift, runners leave their marks and Ghostwalker and The Harlequin gently caress around with everyone.
Suffice to say, we chose the Mile High City for a reason. If you think Seattle is bad, this place is insane. It is Chaos, and the remnants of the U.S. in a microcosm. Also, Aztech/Aztlan is there with actual territory we can gently caress around with. Without, you know, going anywhere near Tenochtitlan.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Until I basically put him on semi-permanent invisibility while he flies the drones around. Once I get the seven Foci needed I will be able to make all of us near impossible to see. It will be grand.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

apostateCourier posted:

...Am I the only one seeing something wrong with a dwarf that has seven magic rings?

7 magic rings that I can use to Turn you Invisible!

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

I decided to go mage instead of Magical Adept. Mostly because holy poo poo too many options, and I am new to the system, but also because if anything, Mage-Adepts can grow to become even MORE bullshit than their constituent parts.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Hopefully not a weekly meeting.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Nalesh posted:

Now I kinda hope there's a rival runner team out there with someone inspired from a certain other yakuza :v:

What the gently caress did I just watch?

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

You have to have some rails though. Otherwise the Technomancer and the Physical adept are going to plan to dress up in fire suits, strap CO2 extinguishers on their arms, and go attempt to punch a force 10 (Demigod) fire spirit.

Thanks for the ideas.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Hardly. I have been playing these things with you for drat near two years straight... actually I think it has been longer than 2 years now. Let's see... we started Rogue Trader Aug 25, 2012. So yes. Two years now. You keep coming up with fun stuff to mess around with. What we have done to the Pendragon campaign is criminal. That you have rolled with the punches enough to let us do that is awesome.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Oh Dragons are perfectly killable... unless they are Great Dragons. There have only been two great dragons killed, and neither of them are fully confirmed. The first was killed by it's brother, another great dragon. The second was Dunkelzahn. The President of the United Canadian and American States. Apparently GDs are electable. go figure. Big D was killed via a massive blood magic ritual that has turned that area of land into a "Go here to die" zone. It doesn't look to be cleaning up any time soon either. Nevertheless, there was no body found in either case, and the first Great Dragon to fall most people think that it went into disguise for whatever reason. Big D's will had some wonderful things in it though. It is extant in full glory too. Look it up if you want a good laugh. And a good reason to never deal with dragons.
Dragons are many things. They are long lived(To the point of never dying of old age.). They are very strong. They are VERY devious. All of them can shape shift to other forms. One of them is; essentially by himself, a full megacorp. He is a AAA megacorp no less. That essentially makes him a country onto himself, even more-so than most dragons already are.
Lesser dragons are eminently kill-able... but if you start to get a reputation for doing so, you start getting the Greater Dragons to look at you as something approaching a threat.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

I don't want to set the world on fire...
I just want to light a flame in their hearts.

Zebrin fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Dec 7, 2014

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

The dice fell where they may. It just ended up with Gwydion managing to get 3000 glory in one session.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Bluemage142 posted:

A title for Gwydion? How about 'Merlinsbane'?

It's got a ring to it.

That is a good title. I like it and will use it. Thank you Bluemage.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

That run made me feel dirty... I mean... I was working for Future Justin Beiber. The rest of it was mildly scarring as I don't really want to hear about other people's lives in that much detail, but still... working for future beiber. Auug.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

It was a charged situation from the start. I fully admit to taking it a bit too far, but that was in the end part of the point. That run took us all way out of our comfort zones, most of us reacted by being far more crass than we should have been, others took it more seriously. One has something similar near and dear to their heart.
Not my place to say who was where on that spectrum. Either way, it did it's job wonderfully as something to pop our cherry on just how nasty certain issues can become in the Fifth World.
Regardless. Only one person dealt with it the way they really should have. I wasn't it. Rewatching this has actually kinda made me ashamed of myself. I already fully admit to not being a very good person, but that was far beyond the pale I try to limit myself to.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

I think he does, but I haven't actually updated my sheet on there since I started... it is a pain in the rear end, I just use chummer.. speaking of, I need to give him a copy of my chummer sheet so that he can use that instead of the crap I have in the vtable.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

And it was quite brilliantly played... watching you fight yourself, while roleplaying both sides was just funny. That my dice rolls kinda overshadowed your families fight is the only regret I have towards that whole thing.
Being able to post in chat "Holy gently caress, I just stole Excalibur! From Arthur's hand!" Followed shortly by saying "Dudes, I just killed Merlin!" And the reactions from that was just fun though.
Grey let's us reprobates get away with far too much. It is awesome though.

Zebrin fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Dec 21, 2014

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Grey Hunter posted:

I do, but the next session was a massive swing in my direction. My dice have been on fire the last few weeks!

Also, it'll be interesting to see what you lot do to the Star Wars universe.....

First point, I am hoping that the christmas holidays douses your deadly loving dice.
Second point, we are likely going to break it.
Somewhere, a tear falls from Lucas' eye and he does not know why.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

I always got the feeling that you knew how to handle our levels of insanity. drat, I am going to have to step it up a bit if that is our competition...

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Strapping a Warthog's main cannon on a rotor-craft would be loving hilarious, yes. Mostly because the GAU-8 Avenger has a higher recoil then the main engine on the craft it is meant to be on has thrust.
Ahh the Fairchild Republic A-10 Thunderbolt II. Literally a plane designed to make this really big gun fly.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

They are samurai, not ninja, Street Sam don't give a poo poo about fire.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

I killed 4 out of 5 king teir opponents and only died because no one helped me in my fight. Despite there being two free people to do so.
The fact that I died on literally the last round of combat in the entire campaign is just funny though.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

You gotta love dem Dramas... Oh wait. gently caress Drama. That being said, hopefully it all works out for you/them aC.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Grey's computer was British. It was entirely predictable that it would eventually sink. That would be why we don't have an update today. Sorry.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

So yeah, this is what happens when our normal "Planner" people go missing all at once. We break into a compound by using Shuten as a battering ram.
Meanwhile, Nova is face-palming to the point that she can scratch the back of her head at the same time.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Humm, I find it odd that some of the most character defining moments don't actually happen in game, but as discussions between the players.
Nova(apostateCourier's character) Was shocked in the Kentucky Fried Cockatrice run by Cooldown(My character) Air-bursting a fireball over a (Not quite) downed character. After the session was over, this actually sparked a little bit of discussion over the last couple of weeks about morality as it applies to shadowrunners, and us as players. By that I mean, it was brought up like three times in a fairly active chat over two weeks.
I and Dicktron have vastly differing moral compasses from our played characters. Cooldown is by all accounts, even my own, something of a sociopath with a strange mixture of acceptance, denial, and outright grabs for help in regards to that. Today in chat, Entropy was brought up, and aC asked why Ghostwalker hasn't sent goons after us. I started off by responding to her about this, and then mixed into it something that defines Cooldown as a character pretty well in my mind.

Shadowrun Chat posted:

apostateCourier: I wonder why Ghosty hasn't sicced his goons on us?
Maybe the santa thing.
He HAS to suspect our involvement in the assassination
Zebrin: Probably because we are still small fry. Ghostwalker wouldn't give two shits about us.
There are probably a thousand runners just like us in Denver alone, the only real claim to fame we have would be Olly boy in the Warrens and our Yak princess
Neither of which He would care much for.
Quite frankly, we are in it for the money. We are runners and therefore mercenary as all hell. So if he wanted something from us, he would just have to hire us.
That is the thing I never got about runner campaigns, people always seem to want to read more into the situation.
Runners don't do "Causes" as a group, unless the whole group agrees on it. They chase the allmighty nuyen.
Sure we might help a cause, but only if we get paid for it.
And then, we are just as likely to take a mission directly against the cause we just championed, if the pay is good enough.
Runners aren't moral people. Runners are Mercenaries and the only honor they have is in that they don't want to be known as a person who welches on deals because it is bad for buisness.
Each runner can have a cause they favor, or things they won't do personally... but that doesn't mean the rest of the group they run with won't.
Nova, is honestly the most moral of the group since BIG TRUCK left. and it says something that the mother loving ASSASSIN is our moral compass. it really does.
Cooldown tries, but honestly, I fail at morality in character. On purpose in many small ways.
Things like that air burst and the sheer glee Cooldown gets using acid stream.
he doesn't admit to it even after the fight is over, and tries to justify it to himself, and if called on it, to others, but he is NOT a good person.
And I did that on purpose.
Part of the reason he followed BIG TRUCK to denver, Outside of being worried for his little brother, was the fact that BT was his moral compass. And without him around, he starts to do bad things. He is trying to replace that compass with Nova though. because he fully realizes it.
Wow. that turned into a rant, that turned into a far more in depth look at how I play my character.

Chat formatted for readability...
In the end, it was a bit on the situation in the game, a bit on how I see shadowrunners in general, and a lot on how I see Cooldown looking at the world.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

In the end, Cooldown was proven to NOT be the most psychopathic person that Nova knows.
This is not a good thing, and says quite a bit about Nova now that I think about it... I said it earlier, but Cooldown is basically going to walk into his workshop(Where Nova is currently camped out) and is going to spill the beans on this mission. Because there are some things that can't go without being commented on, and murder pixies and ohholyfuck tornadoes are some of them.

Seriously though, I thought Cooldown was supposed to be the sociopath runner on the team.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

I don't say it enough, but Grey is a really good GM. Just enough structure to guide us, not enough to be railroady. While allowing us to screw around and do awesome/insane poo poo.
Then there is the fact that we just decided to name all our captured ships after his cat...

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

And then the massed blood magic begins happening, followed by the literal Spirit of Denver fully manifesting.
If we thought Hoshikuma's spirit was capable of Destruction, Denver will likely pull a Metroplex.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Huh, there are quite a few parallels to WW1 there isn't there?
Especially since this is the Front Range Free Zone, so ALL the American nations are available to throw down.

Zebrin fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Apr 14, 2015

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

There are no words.

There will be blood.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Well, this one really woke our asses up, let me tell you that.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

As of right now, Cooldown knows only a few things about what happened to his brother.
1) Travis got Geeked.
2) It happened in our (Rather well hidden) home.
3) Nova has gone silent, but there was no comment on a second body.

Nothing is confirmed for about this, but it doesn't... it doesn't look good. I need to, I am going to go home for confirmation while invisible. Also to grab My Bro's swords.
So I can use them to kill the fucker who killed my only real anchor.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

All that death... So many named characters lost.
Welp.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Yep. Lots of named characters died.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Also, I prove to still have that disturbing level of pyromania that these guys continually enable.
Hey, it's better than doing it in real life!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

You're welcome, and I am sorry to see this end on such an open note, but... well... can't always win these things. aC was quite right in thinking that she shouldn't actually play as Nova when trying to kill us, that kinda thing doesn't really work out well for full sessions(Final bosses on the other hand...) Especially in a system that is designed to be horribly punishing if you don't spike all the damage at once. To put the scrapped footage into it's place, Nova shot once and nearly caved in my head, if not for Oliver knocking my rear end down, then I used an acid stream at force 12 to melt her face forcing her to burn all her Edge to get away. (I took 3 damage from the spell's drain.) Then we entered a chase scene with no one who could actually... well... throw any amount of real dice at driving. which actually made it fairly well matched until Shuten showed us that she had more spells with an ice sheet forcing Nova to crash.
It pretty much ended there after a round of combat as no one was really feeling it. I didn't feel like it was some roaring rampage of revenge for BIG TRUCK, and Nova's plan got eaten by skype. Honestly, it kinda felt like... just a normal bit of combat with us ganging up on one of Grey's (Supposed to be) super bosses and utterly trivializing them. Like we did to space combat in Rogue Trader.

• Locked thread