Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
The previous LP of Choice of the Deathless stalled out due to the disappearance of the OP, which is a shame, because it looked way better than a lot of the 'Choice of' games that have been LPed on this subforum. I offered to pick up that LP where the OP left off, but someone said it'd be bad form. So.

Well, that's not good posted:

The sky over the demon world is broken. Lightning licks the strange geometries of cloud. Around you rises the demon-city Akargath, warped crystal and flame, thorns and razor wire. And this is the nice part of town.

Gods, you hurt. Your skin's a burned ruin. Bones in your ribs grind when you breathe. Your suit hangs in tatters from your body.

Your enemy stands before you: a towering figure of glass and knives. Cackling madly, he raises one hand. Dark power crackles along his talons.

The battle's taken almost all your strength. Your Craft, your own power, stands at ebb.

If you don't win this thing soon, you're done.
  • I wait for my enemy to attack, then redirect his power against him!

• I strike while I can, and give no quarter.

• I run and hide.

Stat block posted:

Not yet!

FredMSloniker fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Nov 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Countering sounds like the thing a smart guy would do.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Let's strike while we can.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
In this world, ruthlessness gets you far. Strike for all we're worth.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Let's counter.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
We're too hot-blooded for strategy! Strike!

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Soul Eraser posted:

You're strong. Stronger than this. And you won't die here.

Or at least you won't die alone.

Before he can attack, you throw your power against him—all the soulstuff you can summon, merged into a single spear of coruscating light.

He staggers, and falls to his knees.

You advance, dragging your broken leg over the ground. Exquisite pain, but you've won. You think.

Until he looks up, and smiles jagged teeth. "Is that all?"

It was. That was the plan. What now?
  • Talk to him. Try to stall for time.

• Pretend I'm going to blast him again. Then punch him in the face.

• Spring my trap.

Stat block posted:

• Craft: 11% (new!)
    Your facility with the sorcerous Craft, used for magical battles and a range of professional tasks.

FredMSloniker fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Nov 11, 2014

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

A good talker always has some sort of option up his sleeve.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

WIZARD casts FIST

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
Punch him. Punch him hard.

Porush
Dec 26, 2012
Punch the towering figure of glass and knives

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

I cast FIST! posted:

You raise one hand, fingers curled into claws, and chant mystic nonsense. He Crafts a shield between you, ready to ward off an assault of pure thaumaturgical power.

His shield's a piece of work. Certainly would have stopped an assault of pure thaumaturgical power. Doesn't stop your fist, though.

Unfortunately, while it feels satisfying as hell to deck a nigh-omnipotent demonic horror, you can't say much for the effectiveness of the strategy.

His head snaps back, spins around, and settles onto his shoulders again. It would be a comical effect if you weren't about to die.

Blood runs down your hand. You sliced your knuckle open on his cheekbone.

Great, you think, in the instant before he hits you.

Steam Achievements posted:

Punch a dark god in the face: You punched a nigh-omnipotent horror in the face. How did that work out for you? (20 points)

This is gonna suck posted:

He closes his clawed hand into a fist. You crouch, ready for the attack.

He's powerful, but arrogant. If you just hold out a few seconds more, you'll find some angle, some way to beat him. As long as you can keep it together.

Then claws of light and power strike you, and you shatter.

Steam Achievements posted:

Die: You died! Let's see you get out of this one… (15 points)

Shattered Memories posted:

Your mind comes to pieces and the pieces tumble, sharp, spinning. Seconds come unmoored from seconds. Shards catch and reflect images of a once-familiar life: your past, spinning out of reach.

You have to fight back. Have to stop him. Defend yourself. So hard to think. What does thinking mean, anyway, outside of time?

You scramble amid the shattered, jagged facets of your self. They cut your fingers, and blood flows into memory.

You must remember. You must fight. You are…

Hells. Who are you, anyway?

There must be an answer here, amid the slivers and glass confetti, among the kaleidoscope shapes. If only you could grasp it. You don't even have hands with which to grasp. Or a body, for that matter.

No. You have one. You remember.

You are…
  • A man.

• A woman.

While you're at it, ponder what you want to call him/her. Suggested male first names are Jamie, John, Xueyou, and Mark, while suggested female first names are Jamie, Sarah, Bahati, and Ailing. Suggested last names are Kang, Gaspard, Cavendish, Bly, and Shepard. And there's a fill in the blank option, of course.

Stat block posted:

• Craft: 11%
    Your facility with the sorcerous Craft, used for magical battles and a range of professional tasks.
  • Cunning: 11% (new!)
    Your native cunning, wit, and raw intellectual ability.
  • Determination: 21% (new!)
    Your bullheaded determination, will to power, and stick-to-it-iveness.

FredMSloniker fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Nov 11, 2014

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

rear end Fart :haw: no preference on gender

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Blast HardCheeseor name of choice, hero extraordinaire! His secret identity is being a magical lawyer.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Dreggon posted:

rear end Fart :haw: no preference on gender

AfroSquirrel posted:

Blast HardCheeseor name of choice, hero extraordinaire! His secret identity is being a magical lawyer.

Come on, guys. We punched an elder god in the face. Surely coming up with a good name won't beat us?

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Jane Axewell, the Lawyer who leaves her opponents feeling cut down.

aerion111
Nov 29, 2011

Prodigy of Curiosity.
Master of Jacks.
Apprentice of Masks.
And, when fighting the forces of darkness, always remember: "Armor of Darkness, Weapon of Light"

SystemLogoff posted:

Seems like this is the best choice we'll get.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

SystemLogoff posted:

Sure, why not? It's several steps up from fart references.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Bahati Bly
I like alliteration :colbert:

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

She cuts to the heart of the matter posted:

How did you get here, Jane? So many alternative pasts, so many options. Dreamshards, timepieces.

Childhood: the first stirrings of power. You caught a falling star in a dead field, and held it burning in your hands. Smelled the sweet iron of space and the world's heat, as fiery fingers crawled over your skin and into your flesh.
  • I closed my hands around the star.

• I released the star into the sky.

• I ate the star.

• I watched the star as it died.

Jane Axewell's stat block posted:

• Cunning: 11%
  • Determination: 21%

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I closed my hands around the star

Star! :3:

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
Jane blinks at no one. Stare it to death.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

SSNeoman posted:

I closed my hands around the star

Star! :3:

The Universe is in my hands.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Any idiot can pick up a meteorite.
Us? gently caress your horoscopes, we threw a drat star into the sky!

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I would like to hold a star in my hands. It must be warm.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Release the star.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Catch a falling star and put it in your pocket posted:

You closed your hands and the star's fire tore through you, burned along the channels of your soul, barbed into your young muscles. It dragged across you like a steel knife over a guitar string. As you passed out, you saw the world beneath the world, the world that remains when you close your eyes: a vast net of souls and exchange, a pulsing network of life and story and bargain and consequence. Yours to twist, yours to command.

When you woke, that vision remained, your first sight of a deeper world. You would learn to use that strength one day. But first, you had to grow up. And growing up presented its own challenges. You were…
  • A beggar.

• Poor.

• Comfortable.

• Rich.

• Determination: 31% (▲10%)

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Beggar. (Mostly because I hope that brings up 2+ stats.)

SystemLogoff fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Nov 10, 2014

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
A beggar. You don't grow up to be a grizzled, demon-punching badass in the lap of luxury.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Comfortable, everyone knows poor people lack the bootstraps for demon-punching :colbert:

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
A beggar, mostly because the previous playthrough took the opposite direction.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Bring on the beggary.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Nowhere to go but up posted:

…a child of hunger and circumstance, a drifter and occasional thief. You grew hard, and you grew strong, and you set your sights on the high places of the world. You would rise, or you would pull them down trying.

Hard to rise from such circumstances to the heights of the Hidden Schools. Not impossible, but almost. Your classmates were soft by comparison.
  • And I told them so.

• But I hid my contempt from them.

• I envied them that security, and tried to blend in.

• Determination: 31%

• Soul: 2000 (new!)
    The Craft can accomplish miracles—or great blasphemies—so long as you have the soulstuff with which to fuel it.
  • Debt: 200000 (new!)
    Your student loans are a daily drain on your life and sanity.

Our Soul would be higher, and our Debt lower, if we'd chosen a posher background. If we gain stat bonuses for being poor, they must also be contingent on this choice.

FredMSloniker fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Nov 11, 2014

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Hide our contempt. We'll never succeed without willing and friendly allies. And we'll never be a good lawyer if we can't control ourself.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Hide our contempt.

drat straight!

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Hide that contempt

Soon we will facepunch all the doubters. Just like Cthulu or whoever down there.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Soon I shall wreak my terrible vengeance posted:

You developed, in those conditions, from child to woman. Here's a cutting, tumbling shard of lips and skin—a first kiss…
  • A girl I knew.

• A boy I knew.

• Cunning: 21% (▲10%)
  • Determination: 31%
  • Gunner/Socialite: 30%/70% (new!)
    Are you clawing for advantage, desperate for work experience, eager to gain partners' approval? Or are you more of a people person?

• Soul: 1500 (▼500)
    The Craft can accomplish miracles—or great blasphemies—so long as you have the soulstuff with which to fuel it.
  • Debt: 200000
    Your student loans are a daily drain on your life and sanity.

Apparently festering contempt is bad for the Soul. Still, they think we're their friend. Also, this is not the dreaded Sexuality Question; that comes later.

FredMSloniker fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Nov 13, 2014

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Boy

Having a straight female CYOA character is kind of a novelty on SA LP NES

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

SSNeoman posted:

Boy

Having a straight female CYOA character is kind of a novelty on SA LP NES

This isn't the sexuality question. :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
Jane is a strong, independent woman who don't need no man, Girl.

• Locked thread