Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

Sam Wang is forecasting a Senate split. I hope he's just being pessimistic.

Doesn't a 50-50 split give Dems control of the chamber because of Kaine? Assuming Hillary wins, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

It does. Also, Wang's model is predicting 51 seats for the Dems, so I have no idea what FlamingLiberal is talking about.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
50 is the dream mark. Come on liberal justices.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Samuel Clemens posted:

It does. Also, Wang's model is predicting 51 seats for the Dems, so I have no idea what FlamingLiberal is talking about.
I thought I saw 50/50 but maybe I misread that

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

FlamingLiberal posted:

I thought I saw 50/50 but maybe I misread that

The top bar of the PEC website projects a 50-50 split, his actual article projects 51-49, D control.

http://election.princeton.edu/2016/11/08/final-mode-projections-clinton-323-ev-51-di-senate-seats-gop-house/

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
dem senate, gop house is probably what he meant

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

stone cold posted:

Aren't duckworth's margins like hilariously high? Like +>10?

Something like that, yeah. Sadly I'm trapped in one of the reddest counties in bumfuck Illinois but at least I can do my part for the statewide races.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

50 means we spend the next twelve months, literally the entire time, talking about Virginia's special election to replace Kaine while the gop stalls to see if they win

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

oystertoadfish posted:

50 means we spend the next twelve months, literally the entire time, talking about Virginia's special election to replace Kaine while the gop stalls to see if they win

Oh, poo poo...that's right. The governor can't appoint an interim?

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Alter Ego posted:

Oh, poo poo...that's right. The governor can't appoint an interim?

it's an interim appointed governor (i hear bobby scott is the likely guy) until nov 2017 when the appointee (or someone else but the dems are smart enough to get an appointee who'll run) has to run in a special election, i believe

so the replacement will be democratic for the next session of congress

ive been arzying about this since the start of vp chat, i really want them to get like 52 seats at least ffs. i kind of think they will im sorta unfoundedly optimistic about the senate

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
I've heard rumors that Mcauliffe is going to run, any truth to this?

Republicans are hoping Fiorina runs. lol

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Ego-bot posted:

I....what? Isn't she from California?

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Carlimentum knows no borders. Or election results.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Ego-bot posted:

Democrats are too

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Zephyr Teachout lost by a lot, gently caress

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Maggie Hassan won in NH by 700 votes. This election was bizarre in so many ways.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
I called Pat Toomey winning by a squeaker, but the hows and whys of what I thought were so far off I'm embarrassed. Trump...carried...Pennsylvania, I am still in shock. Everything I thought I knew about this dumb state is wrong. 2 years ago we kicked out a republican governor by 9 points and last year all 3 seats on the state supreme court went to democrats.

Romney and McCain couldn't win here, President George loving Bush couldn't...Trump did. I assumed like everyone else Clinton would carry PA by about 3-4 points and Toomey who was far more acceptable to suburban women would run 5 points ahead of Trump. Turns out Trump was plenty acceptable to suburban women, now the lesson for Toomey is to get on the loving Trump train right now. If he had embraced Trump the day he won the PA primary in a landslide, Toomey would have won by a bigger margin.

In retrospect it's easy to see why McGinty lost and I'm surprised she didn't lose by more. She's cut off from the same cloth as Hillary Clinton, a city dweller, favored by the entire PA democratic establishment, who'se spent her life bouncing back and forth between the public and private sector and getting rich in the process. She excites no one, and as we learned the prospect of the first female president senator isn't enough. Her appeal in T part of the state is non-existent. I think Sestak wouldn't have done any better, but hilariously John Fetterman might have won.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I guess Josh Shapiro is the great hope for PA now.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

GalacticAcid posted:

I guess Josh Shapiro is the great hope for PA now.

Shapiro waited a whole week after being sworn in for his 2nd term as Montco county commissioner to announce he was running for AG. He's already laying the groundwork to succeed Wolf as governor in 2022 (or possibly 2018 if for some crazy reason Wolf only wants to serve 1 term). It's obvious he only ran for AG as a stepping stone for state wide name recognition on his way to governor (he has no prosecutor experience and hasn't been a lawyer for like 15 years)

Josh Shapiro used to be my state Representative when he was in the PA state house, I've met him several times. He is smart, polished, has alot of crossover appeal and is very charismatic but also overly ambitious and everything about him reeks of career politician. If the mood of the electorate when he wants to move up is still "gently caress the establishment" then he's toast.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

fishmech posted:

nope. net neutrality just means you don't slow down some things on purpose. it's nothing about preventing others from being sped up, say, by the provider buying their own better links to you or paying for in-network cdn.

but of course people who aren't bright enough to understand things think that net neutrality means way the gently caress more than it actually means.

I forgot to correct you on this, but net neutrality does preclude fast lanes. Both by the definition and the FCC's net neutrality rules ( https://www.fcc.gov/general/open-internet ).

Jewel Repetition has issued a correction as of 17:38 on Jan 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I forgot to correct you on this, but net neutrality does preclude fast lanes. Both by the definition and the FCC's net neutrality rules ( https://www.fcc.gov/general/open-internet ).

It didn't until 2015 (fishmech is still wrong, but he was right until the 2015 rule.)

One more example of how "winning" the open internet case was actually the ISPs losing (as I've been saying for quite some time.)

• Locked thread