Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

nachos posted:

My favorite part of all this "Trump is running no campaign" stuff is that Trump never ran a campaign. He defeated the "best GOP field in a generation" on the strength of twitter and memes. People actually think he is a brilliant politician and campaigner when in fact the GOP is just that much of a loving disaster that they could be beaten by a goose stepping human cheeto.

Hahaha holy poo poo. Nice.

But, yeah, anyone that actually thinks the 2016 GOP field was deep and not just broad needs to have their head examined. More is not always better (except when it comes to the length of one's fingers). It's not like any of them were or are Richard Nixon or whatever. And I mean that as a complement here, as in someone who was really smart and had game. Ruthless, illegal game, but game nonetheless.

Ok, so maybe Nixon wasn't a great example. But you get the idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Bryter posted:

lol why, what did he do that was heroic?

Trump's Mccain comments were one of his rare stopped clock moments.

Lived through the Hanoi Hilton while being tortured so badly that it left him crippled for life and when given the option to trade on his name in order to get out early he told them to go cram it up their rear end. McCain's opinions are poo poo, but that's heroic as gently caress.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

Honestly, I feel like John Boehner has basically made anyone like McCain look especially bad. Boehner even got out before Trump. But if he can just say "gently caress this, I'm done" it makes McCain pandering and denigrating himself and his principles all the more embarrassing.

Oh my god Boehner has gotta be just sipping merlot on a beach somewhere and laughing and laughing at the current state of affairs after being the official GOP House Tea Party Cat Herder for years

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

Are we sure this isn't Doobie's truck?

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
John Boehner is probably the happiest man alive right now

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Monkey Fracas posted:

Oh my god Boehner has gotta be just sipping merlot on a beach somewhere and laughing and laughing at the current state of affairs after being the official GOP House Tea Party Cat Herder for years

gently caress you; I'm positive Boehner drinks liquor. :clint:

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Railing Kill posted:

Hahaha holy poo poo. Nice.

But, yeah, anyone that actually thinks the 2016 GOP field was deep and not just broad needs to have their head examined. More is not always better (except when it comes to the length of one's fingers). It's not like any of them were or are Richard Nixon or whatever. And I mean that as a complement here, as in someone who was really smart and had game. Ruthless, illegal game, but game nonetheless.

Ok, so maybe Nixon wasn't a great example. But you get the idea.

Every year a greater and greater percentage of GOP presidential hopefuls were blatant hucksters trying to sell a book or get a gig in the Right Wing Media-O Sphere and they all stuck around as long as possible saying stupid poo poo and it was great

Will it happen again is the question- will I get to keep seeing it play out over and over again or has Trump ruined that?

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
I think we can agree, a rich boy draft dodger saying "I prefer guys who weren't captured" is pretty lovely

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

What would banning Obama curtail?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

prefect posted:

Good things about Boehner:

1) Good taste in bourbon
2) Is not Ted Cruz
3) Laughing about 2) while drinking 1)

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
Also Trump running a presidential election into the ground, tanking the GOP, and then creating his own media empire so he can yell at them for being liars and terrible is going to be the loving greatest thing ever.

He's going to leverage his lunacy into a giant mouthpiece and its going to set the GOP on fire forever.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

prefect posted:

I don't think musicians can actually forbid people from using their music like that. It's entirely based on the candidate's willingness to be a giant rear end in a top hat. Pretty sure Trump has used that song at events since.

Neil Young actually said he didn't object, that you are free to use his music as long as you pay for it.

But how petty can a man be to tweet "Didn’t love it anyway" after Young's fans told him to gently caress off? Who on earth could say of Rockin' in the free world "meh, didn't love it anyway" after using it as the background to declaring yourself a presidential hopeful??

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Zeroisanumber posted:

Lived through the Hanoi Hilton while being tortured so badly that it left him crippled for life and when given the option to trade on his name in order to get out early he told them to go cram it up their rear end. McCain's opinions are poo poo, but that's heroic as gently caress.

prefect posted:

He had the option of leaving early, but I understand he refused to leave until they freed the rest of his friends. That's a pretty cool thing to do.

If a member of the Saudi royal family joins ISIS, gets captured and tortured and then refuses to trade on his name in order to get out in a prisoner swap, is he a war hero too?

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Bryter posted:

If a member of the Saudi royal family joins ISIS, gets captured and tortured and then refuses to trade on his name in order to get out in a prisoner swap, is he a war hero too?

Dude... don't pick this hill to die on.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Bryter posted:

To the ISIS people, he might be.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

prefect posted:

I seem to remember a ton of press coverage where he talks about drinking wine but I would not be at all surprised if his time as House majority leader led him to develop an appreciation for the harder stuff

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

shiksa posted:

I think we can agree, a rich boy draft dodger saying "I prefer guys who weren't captured" is pretty lovely

Remember when Romney got a religious exemption, then counter protested Vietnam protestors and draft dodgers? That is pro tier FYGM.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bryter posted:

Haha drat

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I'm not claiming McCain was Daniel Inouye, but what he did wasn't easy.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

prefect posted:

To the ISIS people, he might be.

Exactly, because they think the war they're waging is just. No sane person thinks America's war in Vietnam was just.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Bryter posted:

This is a dumb.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

sean10mm posted:

Good things about Boehner:

1) Good taste in bourbon
2) Is not Ted Cruz
3) Laughing about 2) while drinking 1)

4) Keeps a tidy lawn while all of the above

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Zeroisanumber posted:

Maybe he should take some personal responsibility for being a poo poo pilot that didn't lose his wings the first 3 times he lost a plane because of Daddy.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

I enjoyed Boehner in that Obama's retirement video.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Goatman Sacks posted:

Maybe he should take some personal responsibility for being a poo poo pilot that didn't lose his wings the first 3 times he lost a plane because of Daddy.

I like the guys who didn't get captured - you, probably

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Bryter posted:

Exactly, because they think the war they're waging is just. No sane person thinks America's war in Vietnam was just.

Goatman Sacks posted:

Huh. You guys are actually doing this, eh?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think part of the political problem in this country is that people can't even hear one good word about someone on the other side without trying to make it equivalent to something ISIS does.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Turn left thread, turn left!

McCain has done a ton of shady and shifty things; his Vietnam record really doesn't need to be dredged up.

It's probably accurate to say he's no chickenhawk (in that he actually served and got tortured) but he's also right up there with the rest of the neocons in trying to stick soldiers in the poo poo. And then cutting their care when they get home.

In any case, hopefully he's on his last few months in office and then he can retire to his 7 or 8 homes in peace.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Goatman Sacks posted:

He was a shithead who did shitheaded things, but he still demanded his buddies got released before he would leave. That's a Good Thing, and not something I would have expected from a person like that.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

mlmp08 posted:

Remember when Romney got a religious exemption, then counter protested Vietnam protestors and draft dodgers? That is pro tier FYGM.

I do not but hahaha holy poo poo

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Zeroisanumber posted:

I have the biggest soft spot for crazy political opinions expressed in car form.

I don't agree with the politics of this man but I will defend to the death his right to express it in the form of a garish, over-adorned car with a hundred conflicting messages

Can't wait to see that parked next to some GOPe think tank shitlord's BMW at the RNC

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Remember in Police Academy when Mahoney was a goofoff and a screwup, but he wound up doing the right thing when the chips were down? It's like that.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Thump! posted:

This all has to make the assumption that Trump doesn't want to be POTUS though.

What if he's serious?

On a hunch, I looked at some of my posts from last summer.

Christ I was naive :laffo:

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

shiksa posted:

I do not but hahaha holy poo poo

He was bringing the word of mormonism to those poor unenlightened French people. Then this:

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

lol

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
https://twitter.com/jayrosen_nyu/status/743557486054096896

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

prefect posted:

He was a shithead who did shitheaded things, but he still demanded his buddies got released before he would leave. That's a Good Thing, and not something I would have expected from a person like that.

Sure, it took a lot of courage and integrity to make a choice like that.

Doesn't make him a war hero though.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
He was also one of the Keating 5. But I tend to hate him less than the vast majority of R's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

OAquinas posted:

Turn left thread, turn left!

McCain has done a ton of shady and shifty things; his Vietnam record really doesn't need to be dredged up.

It's probably accurate to say he's no chickenhawk (in that he actually served and got tortured) but he's also right up there with the rest of the neocons in trying to stick soldiers in the poo poo. And then cutting their care when they get home.

In any case, hopefully he's on his last few months in office and then he can retire to his 7 or 8 homes in peace.

I probably should have said "how did he go from a war hero to indistinguishable from a chickenhawk"

• Locked thread