Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
naem
May 29, 2011

Yeah, these guys are pipe smokers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
:siren: cast iron pan :siren:

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

dangerburrd posted:

parmesan cheese on rice...thoughts? I hate it but my family loves it

When i was 18 and living in impoverished squalor i would make a halfcup of rice with parmesan and a little dash of enchilada sauce whenever i couldn't steal dinner from work

my thoughts are: no.

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:
To check that your spaghetti is done, throw the entire pot against a wall. If at least 70% of it sticks, it's done.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
it's way more efficient to just leave oil frying round the clock instead of heating it up every time you want to fry something.

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW
It's way more efficient to throw boiling hot oil in someone's face instead of having to listen to their bullshit.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Apthous posted:

It's way more efficient to throw boiling hot oil in someone's face instead of having to listen to their bullshit.

Husband - "Goddamn JENKINS! He got that promotion I was angling for!"
Wife - "..... so, let's invite them over for fondue tomorrow."

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

zedprime posted:

Equivalent results for only 10 times the effort? What a revolutionary method. I'm going to push my car to the butcher and haggle for a steak using bitcoins right away.

Flipping a burger takes :effort:.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Tenzarin posted:

Flipping a burger takes :effort:.

that's why smart chefs always keep one of these in the kitchen:

newb

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Glorified hotplate that is a bitch to clean, have fun.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

thathonkey posted:

that's why smart chefs always keep one of these in the kitchen:

newb

I'm the spotless hotplate that has somehow filled a driptray.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Yours doesnt work like that? Again, newb. The proper way to install a george foreman grille station is an upside down mount underneath your cabinet area. If you dont have a space like this, just set the grille at a steep incline using, eg a cinder block.

The meat should stick to the top of the grilling unit in either case after being held in place by hand for the duration of cook time while ~90% of the grease will fall to the counter (due to Gravity) where you rest a big plastic bowl. The tray that comes with it should be discarded as it is just for show.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

StarkingBarfish posted:

I'm the spotless hotplate that has somehow filled a driptray.

GEORGE FOREMAN: How about carrying my grill in your shop?
HANK: Oh, sorry, but we have a strict policy about that. No novelty grills.
GEORGE FOREMAN: NOVELTY GRILLS?
HANK: Yeah. No offence, but your grill is kinda like an iron.
GEORGE FOREMAN: You're callin' my grill an iron? I've been hit below the belt before, but nothing like this!
HANK: I think it's a great product for dieters, or little girls who want to play barbecue, but you can't compare it to a propane-powered grill.
GEORGE FOREMAN: FIGHT'S ON!
HANK: What? No!
GEORGE FOREMAN: I said, fight's on! What's the matter, smellin' all that propane cause you brain damage? That's what it does, you know!
HANK: No! That is not accurate! Those studies were all done on sick monkeys! And at least my grill isn't sold in housewares!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

detectivemonkey posted:

Crockpots are good for soups and beans. Also making vegetable broth. MAKE VEGETABLE BROTH PUT IT IN EVERYTHING.

Chicken stock is superior :colbert:

Buy a giant pack of bone-in chicken thighs, remove the skin and bones from the meat (you can freeze some/all of it if you're not going to use that much chicken right away), and toss the skins and bones into a pot with maybe 1 shredded thigh and a few veggies, fill it up with water, and simmer it for about 4 hours. Skim the fat off the top (or don't, if you're not picky) and you've got ridiculously good stock that's way tastier and cheaper than any storebought soup base and as an added bonus it doesn't contain several times your daily recommended salt intake like off the shelf stock.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Gabriel Pope posted:

Chicken stock is superior :colbert:

Buy a giant pack of bone-in chicken thighs, remove the skin and bones from the meat (you can freeze some/all of it if you're not going to use that much chicken right away), and toss the skins and bones into a pot with maybe 1 shredded thigh and a few veggies, fill it up with water, and simmer it for about 4 hours. Skim the fat off the top (or don't, if you're not picky) and you've got ridiculously good stock that's way tastier and cheaper than any storebought soup base and as an added bonus it doesn't contain several times your daily recommended salt intake like off the shelf stock.

Please do not vegetarian-spouse-shame me in this friendly thread.

Is your recipe possible in a slow cooker overnight as is my recipe, or would that give you salmonella?

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

detectivemonkey posted:

Please do not vegetarian-spouse-shame me in this friendly thread.

Is your recipe possible in a slow cooker overnight as is my recipe, or would that give you salmonella?
lol juust make and use chicken broth she wont know the difference and will like it better,

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Here's a fun kid friendly "tip", making some macaroni put a cut up hoddog in there.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Humboldt Squid posted:

Here's a fun kid friendly "tip", making some macaroni put a cut up hoddog in there.
do you like coins or dices? this was brought up in the h-dog thread

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

a hole-y ghost posted:

coins are a choking hazard kids need dices before they're ready for b i g b o y d o g s

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

a hole-y ghost posted:

lol juust make and use chicken broth she wont know the difference and will like it better,

Thank you for the tip. Related: I no longer have access to my home is it cool if I stay with you?

Another cooking tip: for the person who was afraid of burritos, you should make your own (with rice and beans and maybe meat and cheese) and then freeze them. No more fear!

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

a hole-y ghost posted:

this is not friendly at all :(

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

a hole-y ghost posted:

I cut my hot dogs into little octopi because I am a manchild

PixieDreamGirl
Apr 29, 2014

2014; The year I whored myself out for title changes.

Yo, I don't care what y'all do,how y'all do or where y'all do it, just keep it gangsta and never pay for an av change, have someone else do it- Ya boy Pixie
This is the way I prep my veggies, I suggest you all do the same.

PixieDreamGirl fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Nov 12, 2014

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

TheRatboyGenius posted:

you uh might wanna nws that uh thing

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

TheRatboyGenius posted:

:nws:http://i.imgur.com/NHWykZT.gif:nws:
(linked for mild nws)
hmm, i never thought of doing that, interesting idea

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
Beer makes an excellent medium for stews and stir fry's. Less calories than oil, too.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Manslaughter posted:

I cut my hot dogs into little octopi because I am a manchild good and decent person

FTFY.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Putting eggs and chicken together in the same dish tastes good if you can get over how weird it is when you really think about it.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

RandomFerret posted:

Putting eggs and chicken together in the same dish tastes good if you can get over how weird it is when you really think about it.

It really fuckin is. Delicious, I mean.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Add booze to your hot cocoa next time you make it. Bourbon, brandy, and peppermint schnapps all work pretty well.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
add some whiskey to your coffee every morning to make life tolerable

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW

thathonkey posted:

:siren: cast iron pan :siren:

on a glasstop stove :ducksiren:

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

Meaty Ore posted:

Add booze to your hot cocoa next time you make it. Bourbon, brandy, and peppermint schnapps all work pretty well.

Fireball whiskey in hot chocolate is excellent.

Schnugaf
Mar 23, 2011

The Great Derposaurus
Pasta Carbonara (The real cheap and easy student dinner)

- Fill up a pot with water and set to boil. (Throw som salt in that motherfucker)
- Crack an egg (One egg per person) in a cup and whisp it around with a fork
- Add some Parmigiano to the whisped egg, the more the better.
- Wait until the water is boiling and grab some pasta and throw it in there. About a stiff cock measure (Average, not goon size) per person.
- Throw some Bacon or Parma Ham onto a pan and start frying that poo poo until it's proper crisp.
- Occassionally pick up a strip of pasta and throw it at the roof, if it sticks, it's ready.(Be careful to not overcook it, since overcooked pasta is poo poo)
- Empty out the water from the pasta pot and throw in the egg mix(There is no time to waste here, as the pasta has to be steaming hot).
- Optionally throw in some of the pasta water as well to make it more creamy, just a tiny bit though.
- Mix that egg and pasta like there is no tomorrow, because you don't want scrambled eggs in it.
- Throw in the meat and mix some more.
- Optionally sprinkle the pasta with some Parmigiano if you want.

Pasta Carbonara is really loving good and it doesn't take much longer to make than it takes for your pot water to start boiling.
Not to mention, there's very little mess to clean up.
The pasta should have some resistance in it, not to the point where you can hear and feel it break in your mouth, but not to the point where it's all mushy either. It takes a bit of practice to master.

Fun fact about this recipe(Not 100% sure if it's true);
The Carbonara part derives from Coal, since this was a pretty normal recipe to feed the Italian Coalminers as it was a cheap yet fulfilling dinner.

I also have a bunch of other great Italian recipes I can potentially post.
They're usually pretty cheap and simple, but some takes hours of preperation, like marinara for pizza, pasta or other stuff.
Usually when I make the marinara though, I make like 5 jars that I can just use whenever.

Schnugaf fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Nov 12, 2014

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Schnugaf posted:

Pasta Carbonara (The real cheap and easy student dinner)

- Fill up a pot with water and set to boil. (Throw som salt in that motherfucker)
- Crack an egg (One egg per person) in a cup and whisp it around with a fork
- Add some Parmigiano to the whisped egg, the more the better.
- Wait until the water is boiling and grab some pasta and throw it in there. About a stiff cock measure (Average, not goon size) per person.
- Throw some Bacon or Parma Ham onto a pan and start frying that poo poo until it's proper crisp.
- Occassionally pick up a strip of pasta and throw it at the roof, if it sticks, it's ready.(Be careful to not overcook it, since overcooked pasta is poo poo)
- Empty out the water from the pasta pot and throw in the egg mix.
- Optionally throw in some of the pasta water as well to make it more creamy, just a tiny bit though.
- Mix that egg and pasta like there is no tomorrow, because you don't want scrambled eggs in it.
- Throw in the meat and mix some more.
- Optionally sprinkle the pasta with some Parmigiano if you want.

Pasta Carbonara is really loving good and it doesn't take much longer to make than it takes for your pot to start boil.
Not to mention, there's very little mess to clean up.
The pasta should have some resistance in it, not to the point where you can hear and feel it break in your mouth, but not to the point where it's all mushy either. It takes a bit of practice to master.

Fun fact about this recipe(Not 100% sure if it's true);
The Carbonara part derives from Coal, since this was a pretty normal recipe to feed the Italian Coalminers as it was a cheap yet fulfilling dinner.

Sounds good, gonna try this.

To reiterate what Schnugaf said though, watch them noodles. The difference between good noodles and overcooked soft as poo poo noodles can be less than a minute of cooking. You gotta be on top of those things. Same can be said for a proper pizza crust. Particularly when it comes to the bottom of the crust, it can be less than a minute between properly browned, crisp but not crunchy crust, and some overcooked, burnt, rock-hard garbage.

Schnugaf
Mar 23, 2011

The Great Derposaurus

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Sounds good, gonna try this.

To reiterate what Schnugaf said though, watch them noodles. The difference between good noodles and overcooked soft as poo poo noodles can be less than a minute of cooking. You gotta be on top of those things. Same can be said for a proper pizza crust. Particularly when it comes to the bottom of the crust, it can be less than a minute between properly browned, crisp but not crunchy crust, and some overcooked, burnt, rock-hard garbage.

Yeah, thought I'd add to this comment that if the pasta ends up being overcooked, just throw it out and start over, as pasta is cheap and it doesn't take hella-long to make again. Better to spend another 5-10min making pasta, than having a miserable dinner. The meat is easily heated back up when thrown into the pasta either way.

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

Please don't use bacon or Parma ham and use pancetta or guanciale the way it should be made.

And you fuckers better buy real Parmesan and grate is yourself. If you dump in that pre-grated Kraft Parmesan, you can gently caress off to hell. If you do this dish half-assed, you'll have no idea what you're missing.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

Count Freebasie posted:

Please don't use bacon or Parma ham and use pancetta or guanciale the way it should be made.

And you fuckers better buy real Parmesan and grate is yourself. If you dump in that pre-grated Kraft Parmesan, you can gently caress off to hell. If you do this dish half-assed, you'll have no idea what you're missing.

Italian coal miners would use whatever ham they could get. But guanciale does own, friend. And yes, on the Parm - if you can't afford the good parm get some other italian hard, sharp cheese, like grana padano. Nothing made in the US is good yet in the area of grana cheeses.

greg sexyvibes
May 7, 2007
IF I EVER FIRST POST AGAIN SOMETHING BAD WILL HAPPEN TO ME
Buy packages of boneless chicken breast, throw it unseasoned in a pan and out it in the oven on 325 for 15-20 minutes. Steam some broccoli by putting it into a strainer in a sauce pan with a small amount of water over low heat a great meal with none of the mess or flavor. Plus no carbs, if you're diabetic or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

greg sexyvibes posted:

Buy packages of boneless chicken breast, throw it unseasoned in a pan and out it in the oven on 325 for 15-20 minutes. Steam some broccoli by putting it into a strainer in a sauce pan with a small amount of water over low heat a great meal with none of the mess or flavor. Plus no carbs, if you're diabetic or something.

Also, if you're using a big enough pot, put the pot lid over the vegetables, inside the colander to speed up your steam time.

• Locked thread