Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Cook your meats on a rack so the fat and oils will drip off. This makes them healthier and leaner so you can throw them out and just drink the fats and oils.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Cook your meats on a rack so the fat and oils will drip off. This makes them healthier and leaner so you can throw them out and just drink the fats and oils.

Thanks George Foreman

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I have another great tip.

Drink half a bottle of vodka, drop like 30-40 gummi bears into the bottle (pick your favorite colours I like red and yellow best so it makes orange), enjoy candy booze. Share with your friends.

AwwJeah
Jul 3, 2006

I like you!
Cook the food until it's a different color. Steak: red to brown. Onions: white to yellow. Shrimp: clear to pink. You're good.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

cook them on a rack above your potatoes so that the fats and oils drip down onto the potatoes and make them so delicious it is loving unreal. Put some chopped onions in with the potatoes oh my god. They have special pans for this with like an arm that you put a chicken on with the potatoes underneath and then put the whole thing in your oven, it is seriously heaven in your mouth

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
make sure everything going into your risotto is room temperature

beating an egg for a couple of minutes will often improve whatever you're adding it to

when you beat an egg, time yourself to make sure you beat it for a full 2 minutes.

making homemade soda is as easy as adding yeast, water, sugar, and flavorings to a 2l soda bottle, and then waiting 2 days. i like vanilla and apricot, or a shitload of ginger.

clean as you cook, you child.

if the recipe calls for any amount of garlic less than a full bulb, use a full bulb. if it calls for a full bulb, use two full bulbs.

the type of tomato that you use matters a lot. use roma when you don't want a lot of extra liquid, like if you're making salsa fresca. canned tomatoes are great and often taste better than the fresh ones that you can get.

a pinch of cayenne pepper or chili powder will bring out the flavor in your chocolate recipes.

add sherry to your italian sausage recipe. it takes them to a whole new level.

when cooking meth, don't trust your high-school dropout assistant to do anything right. tell him that his use of gendered profanity is triggering you.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Cuisinart mini-preps are like miniature food processors with just chop and grind functions. They're cheap and come lots of colors, and if your meal involves lots of cutting up ingredients, they will cut your kitchen time in half, if not more.

Plus, you can make pasta dough and pie crust in them.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Ingredients: Bag of 4 hotdog buns, 4 sausages of your choice (I suggest Frankfurters from your local butcher if available), 2 small sliced/diced red onions, jar of deli-style mustard, jarred or homemade pickles/relish, green food colouring

Steps:
1. Slice buns in preparation for sausage insertion
2. Cook your sausage either by frying in a pan, on the barbeque or boiled.
3. Lightly fry red onions in a pan with some oil. Fry for longer if you prefer soft onions, for less if you prefer crunchy.
4. Use spoon to spread desired amount of mustard on buns. Remember it maybe too spicy for some people! You can substitute American style mustard if you want less spice.
5. Clean your spoon to prevent cross contamination and use it to put some pickles/relish into a bowl. Put a few drops of green food colouring into the bowl and stir till the pickles/relish are entirely green. Spoon this mixture in desired amounts onto your buns.
6. Put your onions onto the bun once cooked. Finally place your sausage on the bun as well.

Garnish with your choice of ketchup, tomato sauce, extra mustard or the tears of Kickstarter backers.

Serves between 1 (goon sized portion) and 4 (non-American sized portion)

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
Get a good knife. Then you can chop whatever vegetables like a goddamn pro.

Yesterday I cooked my own tagliatelle bolognese for the first time ever, that was awesome because my chef's knife, which is cool and good, allowed me to get the celery to a size that allowed for an amazing crunch that was just small enough that it didn't affect the texture (I'm one of those babies that spits out food if the texture isn't right).

I'm tempted to add mirepoix to every meal now.

It was amazing but alas I did not add enough onion or garlic. :sigh:

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer

dangerburrd posted:

if you have a blender you can make your own guac, just be careful not to use too much lime

Blender? Why not just use a fork? Guacamole shouldn't be a whipped topping.

Unrelated tip: start buying real olive oil. Not the cheap poo poo that claims to be olive oil, or even most imported stuff; it's viscous garbage and probably rancid. Spend the extra money and be amazed.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

The Cubelodyte posted:

Blender? Why not just use a fork? Guacamole shouldn't be a whipped topping.

Unrelated tip: start buying real olive oil. Not the cheap poo poo that claims to be olive oil, or even most imported stuff; it's viscous garbage and probably rancid. Spend the extra money and be amazed.

where do you get "real" olive oil

Tuff Scrote
Apr 23, 2004
Add salt to your tea to make it boil faster

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer
A decent supermarket should carry at least one brand. California Olive Ranch is pretty legit.

Here's some data.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I dunno how many times I gotta tell you people but oatmeal+vanilla coconut milk+ghee+blueberries/cherries+brown sugar=a breakfast that lasts over 6 months

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

The Cubelodyte posted:

A decent supermarket should carry at least one brand. California Olive Ranch is pretty legit.

Here's some data.

that seems to just be evoo though? which i thought was bad to cook with?

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
He is objectively wrong. Use the olive oil that's a blend of actual olive oil and like canola or whatever for most applications, especially higher heat ones. Use legit extra virgin for low heat and no-heat dishes.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
North Carolina Sausage muffins:
Cook a bunch of ground sausage in a large skillet, add a shitload of velveeta cheese, spoon onto semi cooked English muffins. Freeze any you don't eat. Die a much earlier death than necessary. (Recipe from the southern half of my family.)

And for easy grilled chicken:
Put chicken in a bowl. Add salt, garlic powder, white pepper, chili pepper, parsley flakes and brown sugar. Let sit for but in fridge. Throw on grill. When done throw into bowl and add salt and honey. Let rest.

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS

naem posted:

eatings

This is now my favorite word.
Thank you, naem.

Big Ol Butthole
Apr 21, 2014

by Ion Helmet
for broccoli soup u dont even need chicken broth, just use a lil of that brocco water w/ some olive oil, salt + pep 2 taste, blend it fag

oak meadows
Aug 9, 2014

With each post I strive to improve my technique
if youre going to cook a steak dont be gay about it just eat it

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

School Nickname posted:

an amazing crunch that was just small enough that it didn't affect the texture

what

anyway my tip is to cook things for a long time, in a single pot. stews and casseroles are good. "poor" cuts of meat are only "poor" because they require longer cooking; they are tastier and cheaper than stuff like sirloin, fillet, etc.

also add beans to each meal. you will rarely think "god, i wish this was less filling and delicious". dried beans require soaking overnight and a lengthy simmer so it is worth doing large batches at the weekend and adding it to stuff you cook during the week.

Don Mega
Nov 26, 2005
paging Doobie we need some tips from a pro

Tuff Scrote
Apr 23, 2004
Add a few tablespoons of salt to your milk carton to keep it fresh

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
Put water to boil. Insert hotdogs. Put on plate. Add ketchup.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
You can use ammonia and bleach instead of butter.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

to save time just put your hotdogs in the microwave for 30 seconds each

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

ketchup makes great pizza sauce and it works great with pineapple as a toppping

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Solid Poopsnake posted:

He is objectively wrong. Use the olive oil that's a blend of actual olive oil and like canola or whatever for most applications, especially higher heat ones. Use legit extra virgin for low heat and no-heat dishes.

Oh, well, yeah, I didn't mean to imply you should use olive oil for high-heat stuff. Just sautéing and the like. I sauté a ton of poo poo. Sorry about that.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

when i make chilli i cant stop pooping the next day

naem
May 29, 2011

Why would you want to stop pooping????

xov
Nov 14, 2005

DNA Ts. Rednum or F. Raf
my tip: get a jar of curry paste and put it in loving everything.

Dr Cox MD
Sep 11, 2001

Listen Up, Newbies.
Setting up your mise en place (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mise_en_place) makes a huge difference for all but the simplest of recipes.

On a similar note, read your recipe all the way thru before you start. In fact, read it twice before you start.

Get a FoodSaver, make double batches of whatever you cook, seal and freeze off leftovers. This is an art of its own, generally you'll want to freeze off the food *first* then FoodSave it. This is how you can vacuum save soups and chilis. Doing this over time will give you a freezer full of meals, but they taste good and aren't made of poo poo like the frozen dinners you buy at the store. Also a FoodSaver will prevent freezer burn; Zip-Loc and Tupperware just cannot compare.

Slow cooker all the way: Throw a pork shoulder in the crock pot. Add two cans of Coke (or Dr. Pepper) and two small bottles of hot sauce. Cook for 8 hours. Take the shoulder out of the pot, remove bones and shred meat with two forks. Put back in the pot with the sauce and stir it all up and give it 30 mins on high heat.

Oh yeah! A favorite variation of the velveeta/salsa dip is warming a 15oz can of beanless chili and mixing in two 8oz packages of cream cheese.

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS

hemale in pain posted:

when i make chilli i cant stop pooping the next day

to prevent this, put three live cockroaches in your chili recipe

IT TOTALLY WORKS

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Add half a can of good tasteing soup to half a dozen eggs and grill them over an open fire

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
You should not be flipping burgers or steaks more than twice. Also, if you press a small, 3-thumb-sized indention in the center of your burger patty, it will keep the juice spread evenly amongst the patty and cook up evenly. If you press down on a burger patty during cooking, loving die.

Before you unwrap your bacon to cook, set a small plate to the side, then take a french knife and cut the package in half - yup, right through the plastic. take the 1 half strips of bacon, and peel them off one by one and pile them on the plate. Now, you may cook the bacon using your cooking utensil to pull the now separated bacon from the plate, never getting your hands dirty to separate another strip, and they'll cook more evenly and quickly in the pan.

Cold oil into Hot pan. Heat the pan you're sauteing in before adding oil. Don't let it set and get too hot though.

For grating cheese, Ikea on Amazon and other places sell these:

Buy one.

embykins
Jul 4, 2009
Simply Sara has all the friendly cooking tips you'll ever need. heh.

http://youtu.be/VmxFWJkYAqk?list=UUW7dkv716GTmq_e1NXL0NvA

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

blarzgh posted:

You should not be flipping burgers or steaks more than twice.

Doesn't matter.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Mexican Deathgasm posted:

a pinch of cayenne pepper or chili powder will bring out the flavor in your chocolate recipes.

Also your non-chocolate recipes!

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
For Grilling: Do Not Clean Your Grill When Finished Cooking.

It seems gross, bu physics and biology assures us that its fine. The grease left on the grate will protect and insulate the metal from rusting. When you fire the grill back up, then you clean it before putting new meats on.

If your grate is getting up there in age, and the meat is starting to stick on the first flip, take a paper towel, pour some olive oil on it, and grease the grill surface within a minute of adding the meat.

Want to Never use lighter fluid again, speed up your time to grilling-ready by 10 minutes, and be able to buy charcoal in bulk? Buy a Charcoal Chimney Starter:

$10.

There are kinds that you dump out, and kinds that open from the bottom - I recommend the dump out kind. You pour your charcoals in the top, roll up paper or fire starter in the bottom, fire and forget. The coals will be cook-ready in 5-10 minutes, and you don't have to worry about coals that may or may not have fluid on them still, loving up your food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Tenzarin posted:

Doesn't matter.

If you're flipping that many times, your heat level is wrong and you're losing too much moisture from the foodstuff.

• Locked thread