Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

i kinda wonder if there really is more incidence of mental disorders in well off industrialized countries or if mentally ill people just dont make it for very long when conditions arent optimal for survival

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

ashgromnies posted:

i think it's probably because that sort of poo poo is not exactly studied or reported in places where "trying to find food, water and shelter" is a higher present priority than "sociological surveys"

thats my point we cant do much more than wonder cuz its not the sort of thing you can easily study

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

ashgromnies posted:

it's probably greater in lovely places imo because there is a feedback loop between physical and mental health, if one slips the other is probably going to take a hit as well

but we also have definitions of mental illness that are culturally dependent and might not be applicable outside of the culture they came from

if you look at things like early buddhism you can see it as a kind of a salve against worldview and thought patterns that might be categorized as depressive in modern society

but there's a lot more to "mental illness" than just depression

true i can see how depression can be more detrimental to survial tan say bipolar disorder while schizophrenia is like playing russian roulette with life you either end up as jesus or die in the streets

• Locked thread