Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
And now I've got a weirdo idea for this from Pokemon, thanks a lot!

Lutwidge Aspen, Bachelor of Biology

High Concept: Xenobiology Doctorate-in-Training
Sample Invoke: Be intelligent about non-human life forms; be willing to ask first, shoot later
Sample Compel: Still fundamentally a student, not a professional

Science +3 (SCIENCE, Will, Notice): Sufficiently Advanced Thinking Indistinguishable from Madness
Sample Invoke: Look at eldritch tomes without going mad.
Sample Compel: Be slightly mad already, or treated as a cultist

Grad Student +2 (Athletics, Combat, Contacts, Empathy, Notice, Physique, Rapport, 11 pts): Go Miskatonic Manticores Fencing Team!
Sample Invoke: Relate to other Miskatonic interns and students
Sample Compel: Work study is really tiring...also poor.

Banter +1 (Contacts, Deceive, Empathy, Provoke, Rapport, Will): Too Sexy for my Labcoat
Sample Invoke: Look good when looking good is needed
Sample Compel: Some people don't take this sort of thing seriously

Omega: Bachelor by Learning, Bachelor for Life
Sample Invoke: Be casual and present simplicity to friend and foe
Sample Compel: Be a bit lazy; simplicity becomes apathy

Skills:
+5: Xenobiology,
+4: Will, Notice
+3: SCIENCE, Empathy, Rapport, Contacts, Physique, Combat
+2: Deceive, Provoke, Atlhetics
+1:

Specialized Xenobiology (3 pts)
Trained Physique (1 pt)
Trained Provoke (1 pt)
Trained Deceive (1 pt)
Trained Combat (1 pt)
30/30; 3 Pts remaining

Stunts:
Seen Scarier on my Lab Bench! (Megastunt, 2 benefits): Fear-proof against mundane frights; +2 to Will vs. supernatural mental attacks to induce fear.
I Know Something You Don't: +2 to Create Advantage with Deceive when the target has no SCIENCE score above +3
Ping Pong Pectorals: +2 to Overcome with Physique when there's no actual strenuous labor involved (e.g. intimidation, looking good, etc.)

The Necronomnom EZ Access Tome smartphone app
Function: The NEAT-o Unspeakable Library that Fits in your Pocket
Flaw: Who Wrote the Code for This?!
Benefit 1: +2 to Create Advantage with Rapport when using the NEAT for remote contact
Benefit 2: Allies gain benefits of "Seen Scarier..." on a successful Will roll
Maybe some more?

6/5 -- GM gets one extra FP.

"Hello there! Welcome to our wonderful world of ELDRITCH THINGS! My name is LUTWIDGE ASPEN, and people call me the Master of the Maddening...the Doctor of the Daemoniac...or, uh, they will, someday!"
--Bachelor Aspen, rehearsing his "show prospective students the Miskatonic Campus" speech

The first time Lutwidge Aspen noticed he was a weirdo was when he was five, long before he could even comprehend anything about the Mi-Go as anything but a funny way of saying "I'm leaving." He'd been invited to a friend's birthday party, and said friend, a massive Nipponophile, had set up a watermelon on a sheet to smash open. About halfway through the game, a snake slithered onto the field, and everybody else ran like heck and tried to call for an exterminator. Lutwidge, instead, picked up the watermelon smashing stick, got the snake onto it, lifted it up, and confirmed that it wasn't a danger at all. He tried to bring it over show it to his friends, but they all looked at him like he was a lunatic...or a cultist.

With new boundaries to reality come new fields of study, and what better place to study than Miskatonic?! Okay, so Lutwidge transferred in from Cambridge for his last year of bachelor studies, and he really got into the school spirit. As it happened, the year he transferred turned out to be the last year Miskatonic stayed a university. drat! The lab facilities here were so much better than back in Cambridge--they had live Byakhee and everything! And he still had another four years to get his doctorate, too.

The only way he was staying at Miskatonic for his graduate studies was by agreeing to the work-study program being put out by the new management. And that turned out to be just a bit of a problem, because Lutwidge was really, REALLY enthusiastic about his xenobiology work. Most of the background checkers combined his passion with his relative youth to a single conclusion--the man was a latent cultist with the potential to explode into full "summon xeno creatures with freaky rituals for giggles" written all over him. The rest didn't recommend him for the rather more mundane reason of being a bit of a layabout when not directly engaged with eldritch beings from another dimension. Several direct and forceful appeals after, he did get his graduate program through...even if he's still on cult watch probation.

But that's okay. Once he's done with his doctorate, everyone will have to call him Professor Aspen, Doctor of Xenobiology. And then he'll be the first to make his big, big footprints in the wide and wonderful universe! Things man was not meant to know? Pah! They underestimate man!

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Nov 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
Just what we'd expect from someone using Len Kagamine as a picture :D

Anyway, I plan to fanboy over Jed, Amaryllis, and SPACECRAB every chance I get, and eventually fill out the rest of my stunts. Thanks for letting me in, The Deleter! I'll get on IRC soon.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

On the other hand, you could argue that Jake's choice was "take my offer, or die/be crippled for life", and Spacecrab will get the ET Syndrome eventually. Aspen and Amaryllis...eh, you got us there.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

The Deleter posted:

Sorry about my absence! Work hit me around the face with a frying pan of workload. Please post here if you're still willing to play on.

I haven't gotten NEARLY enough mileage out of Lutwidge yet! I want to take him to the edge of madness and have him go "WHOOOOO-HOOOOOO!"

• Locked thread