Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Minus Pants
Jul 18, 2004
I've used all of these over the years, each has their own strengths/weaknesses:
- Harvest. Nice for consulting/hourly work, need separate accounting app.
- Freshbooks. Accounting + invoicing. Accounting features are very basic (not even double-entry).
- Xero. Full-fledged accounting app. You'd need to use an add-on for project/invoice tracking. More powerful than Freshbooks, but also more complicated (from a non-accountant perspective).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minus Pants
Jul 18, 2004

xpander posted:

I recently started contracting full-time, and Freshbooks was recommended to me. I know nothing about accounting, so can you elaborate on what kinds of activities are going to bump up against its limits?

For invoicing and tracking paid expenses, it's totally fine. "Basic" wasn't meant to be a knock on it. Where it falls short is more advanced stuff, like splitting expenses over different reporting accounts, handling different tax accounts, tracking payables so you can pay just before they're due, financial statements beyond "in" + "out" graphs (though I think they do some of these now), etc. On the other hand, Freshbooks is designed for the non-accountant, so it's hard to mess up when you're getting started. I used it for years with no issues.

• Locked thread