Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruiser
Apr 4, 2007

by Shine

They should just bring back slavery. At least when you're property you're assigned some value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Bruiser posted:

They should just bring back slavery.

They found it's more cost-effective when the slave himself has to subsidize things like healthcare, transportation, clothing, shelter, food, etc.

naem
May 29, 2011

We're hosed huh

Bruiser
Apr 4, 2007

by Shine
When I was younger I used to think that all I had to do was just WORK HARDER WORK HARDER WORK HARDER but it doesn't matter. The deck is stacked against us and it sucks. They get us addicted to material goods to distract us. I watch the sun rise and set from the window from my office. The days bleed into weeks and pass without remark. Just another pointless life grinding one out for the machine.

I'd like to take that trip to Europe with my wife that we've always talked about but we still haven't saved up enough after trying to pay down her student loans. There are parts of the world that I will die without ever seeing. Really want to go Patagonia.. that'll never happen lol. Christ, I think it's all hosed up from global warming anyway.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
political discourse gets away with calling every little thing far left because there is no far left
so we might not need a full blown revolution just an actual set marker of whats what in reality to force honesty back into politics
my proposal is lampposts gentlemen
lampposts

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

mind the walrus posted:

They found it's more cost-effective when the slave himself has to subsidize things like healthcare, transportation, clothing, shelter, food, etc.

Also, the slave honestly thinks he can achieve master status with ~hard work~, haha.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Bruiser posted:

They should just bring back slavery. At least when you're property you're assigned some value.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serfdom

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
i thought this thread was going to be about breakfast, and the sunrise and getting up in the morning. voted one

Bruiser
Apr 4, 2007

by Shine
the way those lines look almost looks like the outline of Kentucky.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
It sucks but since Americans refuse to do anything about global warming, they have no choice but to bare a stagnant economy that slows down the expansion of civilization. If everyone had an expensive lifestyle then the amount of carbon emissions generated would have reduced the Earth to a smoldering cinder years ago

ThisGuy
Aug 16, 2014

This Fuckin' Guy

Yaldabaoth posted:

It sucks but since Americans refuse to do anything about global warming, they have no choice but to bare a stagnant economy that slows down the expansion of civilization. If everyone had an expensive lifestyle then the amount of carbon emissions generated would have reduced the Earth to a smoldering cinder years ago

Dude global warming is a plot to shut down the north atlantic gulf stream, thus plunging the world into an ice age. The world will cool down and violence in the middle east will subside because there's studies showing a positive correlation between tempeture and rates of violence.

hahah. But seriously, we should think about are carbon emissions

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

Pastamania has fallen on hard times...

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Lol at the tables turning right when Reagan is elected.

You gotta hand it to the people in charge; they're incredibly talented in being able to convince vast swaths of the population to essentially beat themselves in the head with a hammer believing it will make them rich. Also to hate brown people because infighting is the best distraction.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Yaldabaoth posted:

whys america got to do everything. how about this: you first.

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer

gary oldmans diary posted:

political discourse gets away with calling every little thing far left because there is no far left
so we might not need a full blown revolution just an actual set marker of whats what in reality to force honesty back into politics
my proposal is lampposts gentlemen
lampposts

Seconded.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

Mange Mite posted:

an angry child pouting and saying Nu Uh!

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Good morning USA!

I've got a feeling that it's gonna be a wonderful day,

The sun in the sky has a smile on his face,

And he's shining a salute to the American race,

Oh boy it's swell to say, Good morning USA!

Good morning USA!!

naem
May 29, 2011

Mange Mite posted:

No see, america is responsible for doing everything, also everything is America's fault.

Any time anyone anywhere feels angry about anything at all they should shake their fist at the sky and say AMERICA!!

America being of course this huge monolithic thing far away somewhere and not an actual group of normal people not much different than you and your group of people wherever it is you are.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
What happened to GBS, did a skeleton take over happen at some point?

naem
May 29, 2011

SKELENTON

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Bruiser posted:

When I was younger I used to think that all I had to do was just WORK HARDER WORK HARDER WORK HARDER but it doesn't matter. The deck is stacked against us and it sucks. They get us addicted to material goods to distract us. I watch the sun rise and set from the window from my office. The days bleed into weeks and pass without remark. Just another pointless life grinding one out for the machine.

I'd like to take that trip to Europe with my wife that we've always talked about but we still haven't saved up enough after trying to pay down her student loans. There are parts of the world that I will die without ever seeing. Really want to go Patagonia.. that'll never happen lol. Christ, I think it's all hosed up from global warming anyway.

uh patagonia is like the dinosaur continent right i'd be cool with seein that too

Bruiser
Apr 4, 2007

by Shine
I think part of the problem is that we're too optimistic about poo poo. I'm paraphrasing a John Oliver bit on his HBO show, but I kind of agree. We're just too optimistic. "Oh, if I just work hard enough I can get there too!

I found some website I don't feel like getting that tells you the amount of money you need to be happy in the state you live in. Like that sweet spot where you have enough money to have happiness. Here, it's $78,000 annually.

That doesn't sound like a lot, but to me and the vast majority of people- it is.

I want to buy a house and actually take my wife on the honeymoon we never were able to take (because I couldn't get off of work).

And not a BIG HOUSE either.. just.. a nice 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom house. I'd also like to have a shed! Building stuff would be so cool! I've got these great ideas for a garden I want to build my wife. I promised her one when we first moved in together but...

I don't know.. I'm starting to realize that'll never happen.

And I realize that I've got it great compared to some. I don't have a lot of time, but I volunteer at the food bank once a month taking inventory and helping with logistics stuff because I'm good at it. I'm trying to give back anyway that I can and the poor mothers who can't afford groceries because the ends won't meet because aid has been cut AGAIN... It's sad.

Anyway, that's all I've got. I don't know where I was going with this post.

.. but man, it would be the BEST garden :)

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

OMFG FURRY posted:

an angry child pouting and saying Nu Uh!

correct, this is basically what the rest of the world is

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

THought this would be about Reagan rising from the dead and storming Washington

Sidecrab
Jul 16, 2012

All this time you've been asking yourselves: who is John Galt??????? Well I'm here to tell you...

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Bruiser posted:

I think part of the problem is that we're too optimistic about poo poo. I'm paraphrasing a John Oliver bit on his HBO show, but I kind of agree. We're just too optimistic. "Oh, if I just work hard enough I can get there too!

That's because we have an ace propaganda wing in the US to perpetuate the myth that hard work is the only direct coefficient to success. It's a key component to be sure and there's nothing wrong at all with valuing hard work for its own sake, but since the latter half of the 20th Century it's been used as a cult-like mantra to keep people on the treadmill and not asking hard questions or--god forbid--trying to institute change that might threaten profits in any way, shape, or form. It's such a well instituted myth that the right wing basically echoes it on a self-sustaining repeat cycle the second anyone has the slightest negative opinion on our state of affairs that isn't easily answered by gutting taxes, regulations, or government functionality.

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

naem posted:

SKELENTON

Your Rain
Nov 29, 2006
All those born beneath an angry star.

HD DAD posted:

You gotta hand it to the people in charge; they're incredibly talented in being able to convince vast swaths of the population to essentially beat themselves in the head with a hammer believing it will make them rich. Also to hate brown people because infighting is the best distraction.

Maybe you should slap your dad for electing Reagan twice???

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Every morning I wake up and kiss my wife while she stays asleep. I wake up an hour earlier than I need to, so that I can keep up the image of being punctual to my boss, who keeps on forgetting my name. My wife and I always used to talk about what we would do when we were wealthy. Where we'd go, what we'd do, the people we'd meet. Nothing ever really panned out that way.

When I leave work at 5:30, again to keep up an image of being hardworking, I like to meet up with my coworkers at a bar. I realize that I'm not as attractive as I once was, and I fade into the environment while the young girls are doing shots at the bar; they're always smiling as if everything is new and novel. A man who looks like I did 10 years ago, glances around and we make eye contact for a second. He smiles and turns to his friend to make a joke, probably about me. I finish my drink.

When I drive home, drunk, I think about the women I've passed up on. I used to think to myself "I can do better," and I could-- I was attractive, smart, ambitious. I would get nervous here and there, though, and it always held me back. Eventually I grew tired of single life and met the woman I would marry. Sex has become a mundane task. When I look at her I think of the smarter, more beautiful women I used to be with. I was always convinced I could do better.

When I'm falling asleep, I do some calculations in my head. Of the 8 hours I worked, I spent 2 hours' worth of wages. The other 6 will go into the mortgage, car payments, insurance, maybe a shirt, tie, or suit to replace an older one. I'm just treading water. I can't fall asleep so I turn on the TV. My wife is conservative and likes Fox News. The reporter on the television is talking about income disparity. I find out I'm in the top 25% of wealthy individuals in America and the reporter makes a positive comment about the upper middle class. I fall asleep, but I don't dream. I wake up to nothing, my wife's leg resting on top of mine.

I'm upper middle class. I'm one of the lucky ones. I'm better. I doze off again. I don't sleep, not really, I just wait until tomorrow. And I'm one of the lucky ones. Every night is the same.

Every morning I wake up and kiss my wife while she stays asleep. I wake up an hour earlier than I need to, so that I can keep up the image of being punctual to my boss, who keeps on forgetting my name. My wife and I always used to talk about what we would do when we were wealthy. Where we'd go, what we'd do, the people we'd meet. Nothing ever really panned out that way.

When I leave work at 5:30, again to keep up an image of being hardworking, I like to meet up with my coworkers at a bar. I realize that I'm not as attractive as I once was, and I fade into the environment while the young girls are doing shots at the bar; they're always smiling as if everything is new and novel. A man who looks like I did 10 years ago, glances around and we make eye contact for a second. He smiles and turns to his friend to make a joke, probably about me. I finish my drink.

When I drive home, drunk, I think about the women I've passed up on. I used to think to myself "I can do better," and I could-- I was attractive, smart, ambitious. I would get nervous here and there, though, and it always held me back. Eventually I grew tired of single life and met the woman I would marry. Sex has become a mundane task. When I look at her I think of the smarter, more beautiful women I used to be with. I was always convinced I could do better.

When I'm falling asleep, I do some calculations in my head. Of the 8 hours I worked, I spent 2 hours' worth of wages. The other 6 will go into the mortgage, car payments, insurance, maybe a shirt, tie, or suit to replace an older one. I'm just treading water. I can't fall asleep so I turn on the TV. My wife is conservative and likes Fox News. The reporter on the television is talking about income disparity. I find out I'm in the top 25% of wealthy individuals in America and the reporter makes a positive comment about the upper middle class. I fall asleep, but I don't dream. I wake up to nothing, my wife's leg resting on top of mine.

I'm upper middle class. I'm one of the lucky ones. I'm better. I doze off again. I don't sleep, not really, I just wait until tomorrow. And I'm one of the lucky ones. Every night is the same.

I'm upper middle class. I'm one of the lucky ones. I'm better. I doze off again. I don't sleep, not really, I just wait until tomorrow. And I'm one of the lucky ones.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
Sanchez is being so cool! Kicking rear end!

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008
It's always morning in America you gently caress.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Sanchez is being so cool! Kicking rear end!
Yeah it owns.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Eagles are a good team

Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

Precedents come and go, but death goes on forever.
You just gotta find a way to become part of them.

I got my plan, suckers.

naem
May 29, 2011

"Which Friends character are you most like?" I ask my date. I'm a witty guy who uses humour as a disarming mechanism (and, some might say, as a tool to masking my crippling insecurity), so I'd most likely be Chandler. But I'm smart like a scientist, so I could also be Ross. Finally, I'm klutzy and adorable--just like a Golden Retriever--so there are certainly hints of Joey inside of me. "I'm basically Chandler, Ross, and Joey." I loudly proclaim this fact, because confidence is an aphrodisiac.

Every six months, Staples performs an employee review on me and gives me anywhere between a $0.30 and $0.50 raise. This last review, my "upsells" were so high that the manager bumped me up $0.65. The trick is to target older customers and mislead them on their purchases. Thus, it only took me seven weeks to afford a pair of Toto elevator shoes, which added five more inches to my height. The problem is that the shoes don't do much once you sit down, so I've also been growing my hair out and using Axe molding clay to stand it straight up, which adds several more inches. All-in-all, I'm pretty close to my goal of adding another foot to my height.

Women love it.

"These are really great breadsticks," I complement the breadsticks. I keep eating them because, hey, free food. "Nom nom nom...hah!" She doesn't get it.

Actually, I can't help but notice that my date sits a little straighter (and therefore higher) than me. As I try to fit an entire breadstick into my mouth and chew it without also biting my tongue, I carefully eyeball the top of her head. She follows my eyes and touches her hair. "What?" she asks.

I squint and chew harder. Louder. Faster. I lean in. She smells like...cinnamon? No, nutmeg. It's hard to tell. My nose is stuffed up so I have to keep my mouth open while I chew. I suddenly imagine the ball of bread rolling around in my mouth like a load of dirty laundry and it makes me want to throw up.

"I'll be right back," I jump up from my seat and jog to the restroom. When I get there, inspiration strikes me like a bolt of divine lightning. "Eureka!" I start balling up paper towels and stuffing them into the back of my pants--I think I fit half of a roll down there. Then I waddle back to the table and quietly take a seat.

She looks mildly shocked. Or perturbed? I don't know, women are hard to read. "Are you...are you alright?" she asks.

"Who? Me? Yeah. Of course." My rear end crunches softly on stiff brown paper towels while I use her forehead as a ruler and try to estimate the height that they have added to my position. Maybe an inch--not bad, not bad. I lean forward. "Do you think there's a difference between, like...anime and manga?"

Suddenly a sharp pain hits my stomach. The breadsticks. They're interacting with the pot of lukewarm coffee I drank earlier. I wince as I feel a burning sensation running through my intestines like a G-scale model train. An "uh oh..." escapes my lips before I can stop it at the proverbial gates. I don't think I'm going to make it to the bathroom. But the paper towels. "...spaghettiooooos..." I force a smile.

I imagine a beleaguered General Adama facing down a whole Cylon army with nothing but a handful of fighters and flak guns. He meditates on the coming battle before finally saying, Alright, here goes nothing, Colonel Tigh. I close my eyes, hesitantly relax my rear end, and immediately feel a warm burbling rise up between my legs, just like I sat down in a pool of sun-baked mud or bread dough. The sensation persists for what feels like an eternity--the duration of which I am entirely silent. When it ends--mercifully--I let out a soft sigh.

When I open my eyes, I realize something very strange: I have risen another inch or so and am now looking slightly downward at my date. It is the most shocking and beautiful thing I could ever conceive of.

They say, "When god closes a door, he opens a window." I don't believe in god, but if I did, I'd swear he was with me that day.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

I've got morning wood Mommy.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Grant DaNasty posted:

I've got morning wood Mommy.

Which one is the puppet and which one is the ventriloquist again?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

HD DAD posted:

well carter told me to wear a sweater and ill be damned if im gonna take that from some peanut farmer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

naem posted:

"Which Friends character are you most like?" I ask my date. I'm a witty guy who uses humour as a disarming mechanism (and, some might say, as a tool to masking my crippling insecurity), so I'd most likely be Chandler. But I'm smart like a scientist, so I could also be Ross. Finally, I'm klutzy and adorable--just like a Golden Retriever--so there are certainly hints of Joey inside of me. "I'm basically Chandler, Ross, and Joey." I loudly proclaim this fact, because confidence is an aphrodisiac.

Every six months, Staples performs an employee review on me and gives me anywhere between a $0.30 and $0.50 raise. This last review, my "upsells" were so high that the manager bumped me up $0.65. The trick is to target older customers and mislead them on their purchases. Thus, it only took me seven weeks to afford a pair of Toto elevator shoes, which added five more inches to my height. The problem is that the shoes don't do much once you sit down, so I've also been growing my hair out and using Axe molding clay to stand it straight up, which adds several more inches. All-in-all, I'm pretty close to my goal of adding another foot to my height.

Women love it.

"These are really great breadsticks," I complement the breadsticks. I keep eating them because, hey, free food. "Nom nom nom...hah!" She doesn't get it.

Actually, I can't help but notice that my date sits a little straighter (and therefore higher) than me. As I try to fit an entire breadstick into my mouth and chew it without also biting my tongue, I carefully eyeball the top of her head. She follows my eyes and touches her hair. "What?" she asks.

I squint and chew harder. Louder. Faster. I lean in. She smells like...cinnamon? No, nutmeg. It's hard to tell. My nose is stuffed up so I have to keep my mouth open while I chew. I suddenly imagine the ball of bread rolling around in my mouth like a load of dirty laundry and it makes me want to throw up.

"I'll be right back," I jump up from my seat and jog to the restroom. When I get there, inspiration strikes me like a bolt of divine lightning. "Eureka!" I start balling up paper towels and stuffing them into the back of my pants--I think I fit half of a roll down there. Then I waddle back to the table and quietly take a seat.

She looks mildly shocked. Or perturbed? I don't know, women are hard to read. "Are you...are you alright?" she asks.

"Who? Me? Yeah. Of course." My rear end crunches softly on stiff brown paper towels while I use her forehead as a ruler and try to estimate the height that they have added to my position. Maybe an inch--not bad, not bad. I lean forward. "Do you think there's a difference between, like...anime and manga?"

Suddenly a sharp pain hits my stomach. The breadsticks. They're interacting with the pot of lukewarm coffee I drank earlier. I wince as I feel a burning sensation running through my intestines like a G-scale model train. An "uh oh..." escapes my lips before I can stop it at the proverbial gates. I don't think I'm going to make it to the bathroom. But the paper towels. "...spaghettiooooos..." I force a smile.

I imagine a beleaguered General Adama facing down a whole Cylon army with nothing but a handful of fighters and flak guns. He meditates on the coming battle before finally saying, Alright, here goes nothing, Colonel Tigh. I close my eyes, hesitantly relax my rear end, and immediately feel a warm burbling rise up between my legs, just like I sat down in a pool of sun-baked mud or bread dough. The sensation persists for what feels like an eternity--the duration of which I am entirely silent. When it ends--mercifully--I let out a soft sigh.

When I open my eyes, I realize something very strange: I have risen another inch or so and am now looking slightly downward at my date. It is the most shocking and beautiful thing I could ever conceive of.

They say, "When god closes a door, he opens a window." I don't believe in god, but if I did, I'd swear he was with me that day.

• Locked thread