Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Victis
Mar 26, 2008

The Dark Mod is right, there were bits of pitch blackness that I had no idea what you were doing. I'm sure it's just ingrained play habits but any chance of using the lantern a bit more when dungeoneering?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Victis posted:

The Dark Mod is right, there were bits of pitch blackness that I had no idea what you were doing. I'm sure it's just ingrained play habits but any chance of using the lantern a bit more when dungeoneering?

Like I say at the end of the post, the real problem is that I could see things fine when I was playing but the video processing has muddied things up. I'll be sure to up the brightness for the next mission I play.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Wait, that mod finished?!?! Last I checked a few years ago, it was in limbo for an eternity :staredog: Oh man I've gotta play it

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Oh yes, yes yes yes :swoon:

You are the best, Bobbin. The best :allears:

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Geop posted:

Wait, that mod finished?!?! Last I checked a few years ago, it was in limbo for an eternity :staredog: Oh man I've gotta play it

Nah, it's been roughly complete for a while. It only recently took the step up from being a mod. Looking forward to seeing the missions. Never got far myself cause the lockpicking just plain stumped me for some reason.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

None of you guys get to be the control. At least not if you want to watch every video in this thread.

Q: What's up with that [DF] in the thread title?
A: It stands for Double Feature!

The Dark Mod is a total conversion mod for Doom 3 (go figure) that as of last year is completely stand-alone: you do not need Doom 3 itself to play, and everything you do need you can download straight from the website I've linked.

If you want to know what this is about, let me put it simply: The Dark Mod is more of a sequel to the first two Thief games than Thief 3 was. However, I should warn you that this includes both the bad and the good. The maps are potentially huge, but the initial loading times are long to match (thankfully quick saving/loading within a map is nice and quick). Being developed exclusively for the PC, TDM relies more on using the entire keyboard than on menus and context-sensitive buttons, and both approaches have their benefits and drawbacks. Also, it's still not the most stable of games. Still, TDM adds a physics engine to areas that look and sound remarkably like they were made in the Dark Engine, plus the guard AI has been improved significantly over the old games.

Another issue is that since TDM is fan-made, the maps can vary significantly in quality from one creator to another. My current collection (shown below) comes from a recommended list I found in the Thief thread in Games, but I haven't yet played most of them so I am entirely open to suggestions. My current idea is to play through the Thomas Porter series alongside the main chapters in Thi4f and then play through the more one-off stuff during exploration and side job videos. For this first video the choice was obvious: we'll be exploring The Tears of Saint Lucia, the map that's included with the basic download since it's a good, solid mission that's easy enough for beginners and contains a few secrets for advanced players.

I believe I've got enough missions to take me through the entirety of Thi4f, and since there is no conceivable end to these things, I'm going to say right now that I will make exactly the same number of videos for both games and this is not up for negotiation. That said, since I'm not too familiar with what all is available, I am definitely up for suggestions on which missions to prioritize.

Objectives
Map
John's note
Perre's note
Sophie's reply
Drunkenness punishment
Gambling punishment
Brigid's Blessing
The Reverend's journal
The guard's journal
The Pagan Problem
Confessional Records
Visitation Records
History of the Inquisition
Abagtha's note
Scriptures

I suppose I may need to up the brightness, though. Processing the videos tends to darken them.

Wait, why is there mention of a God and saints, I thought the city only ever had Hammerites and those green fellows?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

evilmiera posted:

Wait, why is there mention of a God and saints, I thought the city only ever had Hammerites and those green fellows?

None of the mods are necessarily in-canon with the Thief franchise. I call the enemies here Hammerites because that's what they're based off of and it's just simpler to call them that, but the guy who made The Tears of Saint Lucia added a lot more Catholicism to their flavor than Looking Glass or Ion Storm ever did. It could be they'll be more faithful to their origins in the next mission that features them or it could be they'll be more transparently Catholic. Welcome to community-based content!

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

evilmiera posted:

The Hammerites (and Mechanists) believed in a patron god called the "Master Builder" and were basically Mason-flavored medieval Catholics. It's a bit of creative license to give them saints and actually refer to the MB as "God" but it's still pretty consistent with the setting.

Raygereio posted:

The Hammerites having saints is consistent with the original games.

Now that I think on it a bit harder--you're right. I want to say I even recall reliquaries (but then, I seem to recall someone saying memory is unreliable and filled with lies, so...). So mainly the issue with the fanfic is the more overtly catholic phrasing and terminology.

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Nov 13, 2014

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
They're actively avoiding a C&D from Squeenix's lawyers.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

OAquinas posted:

It's a bit of creative license to give them saints and actually refer to the MB as "God" but it's still pretty consistent with the setting.
The Hammerites in the original games had saints.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Nov 13, 2014

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

evilmiera posted:

Dark Mod doesn't take place in the Thief universe - probably because someone else owns its IP, which could pose problems. The Builders took the place of the Hammerites here and they resemble Catholic church a lot more than its counterparts. They value honest work and have a big penchant for architecture and craft, but they are not inventors. High-tech equipment and infrastructure (like electrical lamps or steam mechines) are built and maintained by the fully secular Inventors' Guild. At least, these are the development team's official guidelines that can be found here.

Of course, this varies depending of the mod author. Some venture pretty close to the original Hammerites and Pagans, others draw more heavily from the Catholic church instead. Some portrayals, unfortunately, go over the top and look like a Reddit fedora-wering atheist's worst nightmare. I remember a mission (otherwise, really enjoyable to play) where a bunch of inquisitors place a city hall under lockdown, accusing clerks of heresy one by one and executing them under flimsy pretenses, which wouldn't normally go well with civil authorities. Fortunately, most of the authors try not to overdo.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Gantolandon posted:

Dark Mod doesn't take place in the Thief universe - probably because someone else owns its IP, which could pose problems. The Builders took the place of the Hammerites here and they resemble Catholic church a lot more than its counterparts. They value honest work and have a big penchant for architecture and craft, but they are not inventors. High-tech equipment and infrastructure (like electrical lamps or steam mechines) are built and maintained by the fully secular Inventors' Guild. At least, these are the development team's official guidelines that can be found here.

Of course, this varies depending of the mod author. Some venture pretty close to the original Hammerites and Pagans, others draw more heavily from the Catholic church instead. Some portrayals, unfortunately, go over the top and look like a Reddit fedora-wering atheist's worst nightmare. I remember a mission (otherwise, really enjoyable to play) where a bunch of inquisitors place a city hall under lockdown, accusing clerks of heresy one by one and executing them under flimsy pretenses, which wouldn't normally go well with civil authorities. Fortunately, most of the authors try not to overdo.

Ah, good to know. I'd tip my fedora at you but I'm afraid you'd steal it.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
:aaa:

:swoon: Bobbin, this is great already! I may have to hunt down this Dark Mod myself!

But yeah, that's a really solid looking Thief level, overly dark environments and sudden Catholicism of the Builders notwithstanding. (My eye did start twitching a little at the grammar, though. "Garbage shute"? Seriously?) Exploring unofficial mods is always an... adventure, but if most of the ones on Bob's list are as well put together as this one was, they will be a welcome respite from the soulless drivel that is Thi4f. Nice idea, Bobbin.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
Wow, those two games are like night and day. Thi4f is this typical modern thing written by people who want to write movies and tends to railroad you from the looks of it and The Dark Mod doesn't even do so much as hold your hand and it looks like there's actual depth to it. Even though the former doesn't look bad it merely seems like a game good enough to play once while the latter has all these paths to explore which you just simply wont find all in just one playthrough.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
Oh-ho-ho, now we get interesting.

You've got a few undead-heavy missions in your list, which I'm frankly not too fond of in the Dark Mod. If you're after a bit more Classic Thieving, Lords and Legacy was one of the best wandering-round-big-city ones I've played. Return to the City is also a good one.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
Bobbin I love you please never stop being you.

Excellent choice for starting mission for the Dark Mod too.

I do have some suggestions vis a vis your mission list.

First, I'd highly, highly recommend dropping The Transaction. It's... just a bad mission. I mean there's an unavoidable boss fight. I understand from a story standpoint what the author was trying to do, but it ends up being kind of tedious and rather poor at showcasing the Darkmods strengths. Also, subordinating game-play for story was kind of what screwed up Thi4f, was it not? I feel kind of weird un-recommending it because on the whole, the Thomas Porter series is very very strong, and the Phrase Book is my second favorite fan mission thus far released.

As for a replacement for that mission, Prenton above recommended some outdoors missions but if you are open to any suggestion, I highly, highly recommend Heart of Lone Salvation. It is my first-favorite fan mission thus far released. It's a huge, detailed Mansion level with a fairly in depth storyline that is entirely conveyed passively and very intuitive puzzles. It's also chock full of Theif 2 style secrets.

Brainamp posted:

Nah, it's been roughly complete for a while. It only recently took the step up from being a mod. Looking forward to seeing the missions. Never got far myself cause the lockpicking just plain stumped me for some reason.

Heads up: this may not have been a feature when you tried out the mod, but you can now independently adjust each element of the difficulty. As in, you can now set the lockpicking minigame to easy (or even automatic) and set the enemy AI to medium or hard, and adjust the amount of objectives independently of either of those.

insanityv2 fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Nov 14, 2014

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
You asked how the noise maker arrow could work like that. Well a clockwork/wind-up piece inside the arrow head could make noise in a card in the bike spokes sort of way and still be reusable.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Hey, this is a great idea (the double feature). It really does underline the massive difference in approach between the originals and the reboot. When playing Thief 2014 I really, really missed that freedom of movement.

I've been meaning to try the Dark Mod for ages - especially since it became standalone. Maybe this will give me the push I need to finally do it.

BenS
Nov 11, 2014

Le gasp! Now that is a brilliant idea. I haven't played any of it- never heard of the mod before now- but definitely count me as a vote to prioritize "Lich Queen's Demise." It just sounds like a fun (if a bit PnP-y) mission.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

If I recall properly (and I'm not as up on my Christian heresies as I should be) the Ebionites were a real thing. If I remember properly they were an early Christian heresy that rejected Paul of Tarsus and cleaved to the idea of Jesus as the Messiah rather than God. Also, the bit about the Inquisition handing people over to civil authorities after questioning is actually accurate to the actual Holy Office of the Inquisition.

Cartheon
Jun 1, 2014

Help me, Oppan. You're my only hope.

None of you guys get to be the control. At least not if you want to watch every video in this thread.

You, Sir, are my hero.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Oh man. It was nice to hear that evil chuckle again.

I'll have to pick up the Dark Mod tonight, that looked like quite a bit of fun.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I also liked that there was nothing sinister about the church at all. You're robbing a guy of what might potentially be a real holy relic and probably ruining his life, and he was just hoping it would allow him to improve the church and his community and had helped him solve a major personal crisis of faith. Garret's got rent to pay, damnit.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Night10194 posted:

I also liked that there was nothing sinister about the church at all. You're robbing a guy of what might potentially be a real holy relic and probably ruining his life, and he was just hoping it would allow him to improve the church and his community and had helped him solve a major personal crisis of faith. Garret's got rent to pay, damnit.

Not-Garret, remember.

Cartheon
Jun 1, 2014

After watching the video, I'm surprised they didn't improve the AI enough to react to light sources going out. That is one thing Splinter Cell improved on. I never understood why the guards would stand around not noticing all of their light sources going out one by one.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Cartheon posted:

After watching the video, I'm surprised they didn't improve the AI enough to react to light sources going out. That is one thing Splinter Cell improved on. I never understood why the guards would stand around not noticing all of their light sources going out one by one.

The AI does react to lights going out, but whether it does so or not seems to be spotty at best. Partly it's thanks to a "clue" system where a doused torch, an open door, and missing treasure can all add up to a guard realizing that something's going on, but I just finished a practice run where I had to reload a certain area a few times, and while the first time I put out a torch a patrolling guard relit it, after I reloaded the same guard walked past the doused torch and did nothing.

Actually, the new Thief game has a pretty similar problem. If you put out a torch or candle while a guard is nearby, they'll notice and relight it, but if you put it out while nobody's nearby they'll just walk on by without even complaining about the draft.

Cartheon
Jun 1, 2014

That could make sense depending on the area. If I was guarding the Biltmore Estate, I'm not sure I'd be able to tell you exactly which lights were on and off the last time I passed them. A light going off right in front of me, though, would be noticeable.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

And that was entirely fan made in the Doom 3 engine? Man that's really good. I mean obviously you can see the faults and point them out but man that would've taken a lot of effort on those guys.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

And sure enough, there are collectables! It's true that Old!Garrett would have laughed at New!Garrett for considering anything "too precious to sell," but I can certainly see the player appeal in filling the old secret lair (secret lair? really?) with shiny collectables. But then...did one of the collectables have to include that? I mean, really? You couldn't have just, I don't know, left those two out and saved yourself a lot of awkward looks?

Why do I have a sinking feeling these mystery collectibles have something to do with boobs?

More on topic, your old Thief LPs were really my first exposure to the game itself and I think I recall commenting on how fantastic the sound design was in that game. Thief is/was revolutionary and the fact that this follow-up seems to have not really caught onto what made Thief fun in the first place is a travesty beyond words.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Cartheon posted:

The AI will relight torches and oil lamps, but only those marked as important by the mapper and only if they are allowed to do it. They can also switch on electric lights. I think this feature didn't yet exist when "Tears of St. Lucia" were made.

Gantolandon fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Nov 14, 2014

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Oh... Wow.

I was glad you were LPing Thi4f and that I would get a thorough looking at it without having to play (or pay for) it but this double feature...

This will be fantastic. :allears:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I have a deadly serious question that makes or breaks whether I get TDM: does it have spiders?

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

I have a deadly serious question that makes or breaks whether I get TDM: does it have spiders?

Yes. Actually there were one in the LP. Not every mission have spiders, though, and there is a page of the mod wiki which lists all available missions along with warnings if they have spiders or undead.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

anilEhilated posted:

Er, I killed a spider in the first mission here. Mind you it's in a completely bonus area, so it's easy enough to skip. Also, you're not the first person to bring up the giant spiders, so the community whipped together a list that points out which missions have spiders and which ones have undead.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Er, I killed a spider in the first mission here.
Yeah, I haven't actually watched that yet due to not want to spoil myself in case I get it. Thief spiders are terrifying; the only way I was capable of beating the first two games was modding them out.

aerion111
Nov 29, 2011

Prodigy of Curiosity.
Master of Jacks.
Apprentice of Masks.
And, when fighting the forces of darkness, always remember: "Armor of Darkness, Weapon of Light"

anilEhilated posted:

Yeah, I haven't actually watched that yet due to not want to spoil myself in case I get it. Thief spiders are terrifying; the only way I was capable of beating the first two games was modding them out.

Well, if I understood correctly, that mission has no connection to anything else.
So, you spoil a single mission, but can simply skip to the others without much issue.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
I never got the whole phobia of spiders thing, but I guess that's why it's a phobia. I just find it odd in some games like skyrim where you have spells that would make an artillery shell look like a firecracker :v:

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

You think you were disappointed in that 50 gold, imagine how the spider felt. That was his entire share after he split his inheritance with all five hundred and thirteen of his siblings. He wanted to spend it, but the merchants always ran in terror or swatted at him with a broom. And then you shot him. Kudos. :jerkbag:

aerion111
Nov 29, 2011

Prodigy of Curiosity.
Master of Jacks.
Apprentice of Masks.
And, when fighting the forces of darkness, always remember: "Armor of Darkness, Weapon of Light"

Nalesh posted:

I never got the whole phobia of spiders thing, but I guess that's why it's a phobia. I just find it odd in some games like skyrim where you have spells that would make an artillery shell look like a firecracker :v:

Well, first off, spiders are highly un-human - I can easily see it triggering various fear-related instincts.
Secondly... The spells would be more relevant if they had more 'bite', but really, they're just mechanically powerful. With more sound-effects and screen-shaking I'm sure they could 'feel' more powerful, in which case they might help boost confidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Nalesh posted:

Short version:

Cracked.com posted:

No messing around here--there is an entire part of the brain designed to keep us the gently caress away from spiders, the "arachnid response" to anything horrifically alien that must be destroyed.

Alternatively, there are more explanatory answers. 1) If you want to dig back in human history and evolution, there are some really loving dangerous spiders out there. It's entirely possible that there's become a hardwired response in many human brains that says "spider=dangerous." 2) For me, it's something about the way they move. I can't for the life of me tell you what it is, but their movement just seems so alien and unnatural, even compared to insects and other arachnids (scorpions are fine, for some reason). I find their faces freaky, and something about still pictures of them can still creep me out, although I can't tell you why. It's also damned inconsistent; video game and CG spiders don't freak me out unless they're called Shelob.

Then again, I had the everloving piss scared out of me by the popup of the spider's face in Sim Ant when I was 2 or 3, and I'm pretty sure that stuck with me.

• Locked thread